Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 07:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed March 4th, 2015, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

rwasser wrote:
...That said, I observed by listening to boots, that in America there is often more audience talk during songs than it is in Europe.

I think that may be true.

PostPosted: Wed March 4th, 2015, 02:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Warren Peace wrote:
huck wrote:
but the x men in England were always in a minority

A minority perhaps, but Excalibur does have its fans.

No one's gonna get that Warren Peace, come on...

i got that one!

otherwise, this thread has been generally worthless

PostPosted: Wed March 4th, 2015, 03:13 GMT 

I love Bob Dylan and I live in America. Not sure if those two things are related.... ??

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2015, 10:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think they might right about now...(possible Locarno announcement for July)

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2015, 12:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

JP made an interesting observation about the Europeans I hadn't even considered. She mentioned that when at shows over there, she noticed some people really into the show who didn't even speak English - so it was all about the music and feeling of the show. That speaks volumes about the majic that is the Bob Dylan live experience and the almost transcendental atmosphere he evokes on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2015, 21:45 GMT 

Props to Bob fans everywhere, but the answer is no. Bob is American and obviously always will be. He was shaped by the events going on in America before and after he came of age and blossomed. There is a connection between fellow Americans and Bob's music that is visceral and, I believe, can't be duplicated by those who are from Europe.

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2015, 21:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sweetheart68 wrote:
Props to Bob fans everywhere, but the answer is no. Bob is American and obviously always will be. He was shaped by the events going on in America before and after he came of age and blossomed. There is a connection between fellow Americans and Bob's music that is visceral and, I believe, can't be duplicated by those who are from Europe.

Yes and no. Bob is a product of America for sure - he IS America. The subject at hand is "appreciation" and though you may be right, I am still impressed with the Europeans -who by the way, are some of the most dedicated, literate, and productive, fans on this site.
Some have been the most "disruptive" too, but that's another story, and another side of dedication and appreciation.

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2015, 22:00 GMT 

Good point. Don't get me wrong, any Bob fan is likely to be considered by me as a friend, regardless of where they originate from. (Some of the more obnoxious ones, Americans included, I might not want to hang out with, but I'd still think they had the best taste in music.)

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 11:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweetheart68 wrote:
There is a connection between fellow Americans and Bob's music that is visceral and, I believe, can't be duplicated by those who are from Europe.

Well, maybe. Many Europeans know more about America (and Dylan's effect) than Americans!

chrome horse wrote:
...Europeans -who by the way, are some of the most dedicated, literate, and productive, fans on this site.

Yup!

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 20:33 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:
There is a connection between fellow Americans and Bob's music that is visceral and, I believe, can't be duplicated by those who are from Europe.

Well, maybe. Many Europeans know more about America (and Dylan's effect) than Americans!

With all due respect I find it impossible to think that anyone who hasn't grown up in America and lived here, breathed it, immersed in it, etc... could possibly know more about the American experience. I'm not calling anyone names, but the thought seems egotistical and farfetched to me.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 20:40 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:

With all due respect I find it impossible to think that anyone who hasn't grown up in America and lived here, breathed it, immersed in it, etc... could possibly know more about the American experience. I'm not calling anyone names, but the thought seems egotistical and farfetched to me.

Oh, I dunno - I watch a lot of 'Diners, Drive Ins & Dives'....

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 21:13 GMT 

Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

At least that's what Bob thinks! In his own words: "Every time we play in this country they understand this music better than anywhere else, for some reason." (Bob Dylan onstage in Frankfurt/Germany, Sept. 29, 2000 - see: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN22150%20-%202 ... m#DSN22270 )

any further questions? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 23:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

slewan wrote:

At least that's what Bob thinks! In his own words: "Every time we play in this country they understand this music better than anywhere else, for some reason." (Bob Dylan onstage in Frankfurt/Germany, Sept. 29, 2000 - see: http://www.bjorner.com/DSN22150%20-%202 ... m#DSN22270 )

Not sure "understand" and "appreciate" work out the same.
A whole lot of Americans do not understand nor appreciate his work.
Hopeful, his fans do.

PostPosted: Tue March 17th, 2015, 13:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hungryhoss wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:

Oh, I dunno - I watch a lot of 'Diners, Drive Ins & Dives'....

I think Europeans appreciate Guy Fieri more than Americans.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 00:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Who is Guy Fieri?

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 00:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

SGB, IF YOU DON'T LIKE GUY FIERI WHY DO YOU EVEN POST HERE?

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 04:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Funny. I looked him up. At first I thought that maybe you guys were implying that he is Bob's chef or something and then quickly realized he's like some sort of modern day Julia Childs. Ha! Never heard of him.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 04:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Fieri's just a talented popular artist working within a great American tradition, revolutionising his field whilst still respecting those who went before him. He's never claimed to be the spokesman of a generation. His work speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 06:47 GMT 

Trev wrote:
Fieri's just a talented popular artist working within a great American tradition, revolutionising his field whilst still respecting those who went before him. He's never claimed to be the spokesman of a generation. His work speaks for itself.

Off da hook Trev, off the hook.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 09:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

slewan wrote:

Yes.

Would he say anything else while performing in a European city???? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 13:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

jimb727 wrote:
slewan wrote:

Yes.

Perhaps he could introduce his band again?

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 17:38 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
slewan wrote:

Yes.

I can't remember that he ever said anything in Germany since the mid-90s besides "thanks everybody," "thanks" and the usual band introductions - except the sentence quoted above. And I don't think he said anything like that in any other place/country

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 18:05 GMT 

Dresden, May 24th, 2000:

Thank you! I will remember this birthday for a while. (at the end of the show).

btw, I know some Europeans don't appreciate Bob Dylan much. Everytime new concerts in Germany are beeing announced, someone comes up on the Eventim.de "Fan-Report" rubric with a bad report of a show years ago.

This time it's this:

Klar, His Bobness ist einer der wichtigsten und besten Songwriter aller Zeiten. Muss man mal gesehen haben. Aber das war´s dann auch. Der hat es ja noch nicht einmal nötig, ein kleines Dankeschön an das Publikum, das ihm sein Luxusleben finanziert, zu richten. Und dann singt er auch noch über Underdogs und will sich als einer der ihren fühlen. So was von verlogen. Da ziehe ich doch den Kleinstadtkünstler vor, der sich vor vor 5 Besoffenen in der Dorfkneipe die Seele für eine warme Mahlzeit aus dem Lein schreit. Nein lieber Bob, schreib weiter gute Lieder, aber ansonsten bleib bitte zuhause.

Ok, His Bobmess is one of the most important and best songwriters of all time. You have to see him one. But that was that. He don't even needs to address a small "thank you" to the audience which finances hos luxury life. And then he sings of underdogs and wants himself to feel like one. All that dishonesty. I prefer the smalltown artist who in front of 5 drunkards cries out his soul for a warm meal. No, dear Bob, go on writing good songs, but stay at home otherwise.

You'll find such comments before and after any tour in Germany.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 20:31 GMT 

i appreciate bob dylan more than the US and europe combined. im that appreciative. i know, i know.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 21:08 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Dresden, May 24th, 2000:

Thank you! I will remember this birthday for a while. (at the end of the show).

I have been there / how could I have forgotten about that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next