Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 17:04 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:00 GMT 

Quick question:

A few weeks ago I uploaded what is, IMO, the greatest 1966 performance of Mr. Tambourine Man to my youtube channel.
It’s from Sheffield and it beats the Manchester Free Trade Hall version by a country mile.
I think the harmonica playing (listen to the last couple of minutes) is simply out of this world.
Some of the best lyrical playing he has ever done on the instrument .

Anyways, I cut and pasted some concert footage from No Direction Home and uploaded the performance to my channel.
In the hope that maybe some young talented guy/gal comes along and decides to pick up the instrument out of sheer inspiration.

I don’t know if this has happened already but today someone placed the following comment on the video:
“...I've been looking for this since I watched the final scene of I'm Not There. The harmonica work is absolutely mesmerizing."

I’ve never seen I’m Not There, I’m basically only interested in concert footage, so I didn’t know this!
Is there really concert footage in I’m Not There from this performance?
If yes, I’m assuming that it doesn’t show the complete song but how much is there?

The performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP60r_cbRO0

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

That harp solo is also in "Eat the Document" - here's the part - about 1:00 into the video - fantastic!
doomed

ooops! :oops: I forgot the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30-8C11 ... ure=colike

Last edited by doomedtoloveyou on Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:07 GMT 

Yes, at the very end there's live footage which basically consists of the harp solo of the song you've uploaded.

Edit: Just saw doomed's link. Yes, that's the one! But if you are only interest in concert footage it doesn't make sense to watch the movie because that's the only instance they used live footage. (Personally, I love the movie despite it's lack of live footage).

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:14 GMT 

XRaylroad wrote:
Yes, at the very end there's live footage which basically consists of the harp solo of the song you've uploaded.

Sh*t. I wish I had known that before I made the vid :(
Thanks a lot anyway. You too Doomed, for the link.
I'll check it out. I've seen Eat The Document but it's been years.

I think I'm gonna have to watch I'm Not There in the near future anyway 8)

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

XRaylroad wrote:

Edit: Just saw doomed's link. Yes, that's the one! But if you are only interest in concert footage it doesn't make sense to watch the movie because that's the only instance they used live footage. (Personally, I love the movie despite it's lack of live footage).

So do I. Just watched it again today.

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:26 GMT 

erikdw123 wrote:
XRaylroad wrote:

Sh*t. I wish I had known that before I made the vid :(
Thanks a lot anyway. You too Doomed, for the link.
I'll check it out. I've seen Eat The Document but it's been years.

I think I'm gonna have to watch I'm Not There in the near future anyway 8)

Yes, do that. I didn't like the movie at first, but it has grown on me and now I love it. :D

Now, I just took a look at the ending of I'm Not There again. There they show the camera moving through the crowd (cf. the footage in the beginning of doomed's video), then they cut to Dylan playing the harp. However, all you hear is the harp solo, so they edited and rearranged the audio track and the video track a little bit. It's not exactly the same as in Eat the Document.

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:47 GMT 

Just watched the Eat The Document excerpt.
Awesome. Thanks a lot!

I'm gonna watch I'm Not There anyway one of these days.
This is getting embarrassing :oops:

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2012, 22:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

That is the best version. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 09:17 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
That harp solo is also in "Eat the Document" - here's the part - about 1:00 into the video - fantastic!
doomed

ooops! :oops: I forgot the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30-8C11 ... ure=colike

Compare the opening of the above Eat the Document/ I'm Not There harp solo with Sheffield, below, and you'll surely agree they are different performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP60r_cbRO0

The Eat the Document/ INT performance, apart from sounding as though it was recorded remote from, rather than via Dylan's mike, clearly has two fast little bursts at the beginning that don't occur on the Sheffield performance. Also, the ETD exterior crowd shots going into the harp solo are of the de Montfort Hall, Leicester. And if Pennebaker filmed those Leicester exteriors, he surely must have also filmed some of the concert, possibly including Mr Tambourine Man, no? Not that it follows that the harp solo is Leicester, but you can see why Howard Alk and Dylan married those other-worldly, summer's evening crowd shots to the ethereal harp solo.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 10:31 GMT 

I've listened to the Leicester performance and it also doesn't seem to match up all that well with the performance in the video. I could be completely wrong, the bootleg does seem a tad fast and the pitch is off. But I really don't hear too much similarity.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 10:53 GMT 

Demagog wrote:
I've listened to the Leicester performance and it also doesn't seem to match up all that well with the performance in the video. I could be completely wrong, the bootleg does seem a tad fast and the pitch is off. But I really don't hear too much similarity.

I don't have the Leicester performance. Are you saying it doesn't match up with the ETD clip,or Sheffield- or both?! Have you compared the ETD clip with Sheffield?

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 17:17 GMT 

Man, I'm still in search of this concert to download. Your video just makes me all the more upset i can't find it in this good of quality.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 20:29 GMT 

Demagog wrote:
The fragment in ETD sounds like Sheffield to me.
I know Pennebaker used a Nagra recorder a lot while filming the '66 tour.
Perhaps this explains the slight pitch and speed differences.
I believe the Sheffield performance on my channel stems from the official 3 track IBC recording (4 shows were taped in its entirety by IBC on 3 track. Sheffield, Manchester and the last two London concerts.) and is no line recording, Let alone a Nagra.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 20:33 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
Demagog wrote:

I don't have the Leicester performance. Are you saying it doesn't match up with the ETD clip,or Sheffield- or both?! Have you compared the ETD clip with Sheffield?
erikdw123 wrote:
Demagog wrote:
The fragment in ETD sounds like Sheffield to me.
I know Pennebaker used a Nagra recorder a lot while filming the '66 tour.
Perhaps this explains the slight pitch and speed differences.
I believe the Sheffield performance on my channel stems from the official 3 track IBC recording (4 shows were taped in its entirety by IBC on 3 track. Sheffield, Manchester and the last two London concerts.) and is no line recording, Let alone a Nagra.

Sorry if I was vague, I was saying the Leicester boot doesn't sound like the version in the movie. And it obviously doesn't sound like Sheffield because they are completely different gigs :lol: But yeah, I would say Sheffield is a likely candidate but even that I have my reservations on. Admittedly, my ears aren't the most astute but I really don't hear many similarities between the video and all the bootleg performances I have from the same tour, even Sheffield. It remains a mystery to me, but a safe bet is Sheffield as the true performance.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 20:45 GMT 

Demagog wrote:
Sorry if I was vague, I was saying the Leicester boot doesn't sound like the version in the movie. And it obviously doesn't sound like Sheffield because they are completely different gigs :lol: But yeah, I would say Sheffield is a likely candidate but even that I have my reservations on. Admittedly, my ears aren't the most astute but I really don't hear many similarities between the video and all the bootleg performances I have from the same tour, even Sheffield. It remains a mystery to me, but a safe bet is Sheffield as the true performance.
You've got a point there :lol:

I wish someone stepped into this thread with some more knowledge about the '66 tour and the recorded/filmed performances.
My safe bet is Sheffield too.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 21:29 GMT 

What's clear to these ears is that erikdw123's youtube upload and the ETD Tamborine Man are two different performances. With or without pitch and speed considerations, the harp phrasing is different.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 21:32 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
What's clear to these ears is that erikdw123's youtube upload and the ETD Tamborine Man are two different performances. With or without pitch and speed considerations, the harp phrasing is different.

So, let me get this straight ... in the movie I'm not There, they used the video footage from the ETD Tambourine Man, but the sound from the Sheffield performance. Right?

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 21:43 GMT 

XRaylroad wrote:
Train-I-Ride wrote:
What's clear to these ears is that erikdw123's youtube upload and the ETD Tambourine Man are two different performances. With or without pitch and speed considerations, the harp phrasing is different.

So, let me get this straight ... in the movie I'm not There, they used the video footage from the ETD Tambourine Man, but the sound from the Sheffield performance. Right?

I'd have to check I'm Not There. I'm just saying that ETD is a different performance to the one that erikdw123 posted. I always assumed that the ETD audio was the same as that used in INT, given that the film is the same. I'll have to listen to both, and compare.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 22:20 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
You're absolutely right! I just compared them again.

Pay close attention to the quick 'left to right' figure he plays in the Eat The Document performance just before he reaches the everlasting note.
Listen closely from around 2:12 to around 2:15. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30-8C110uM&feature=colike)

Then check the Sheffield performance I uploaded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP60r_cbRO0).
Start listening at 10:18 or so. He reaches the everlasting note but the quick figure is missing.

The ETD performance is not from Sheffield.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 22:28 GMT 

Meanwhile I've compared the scene from "I'm Not There" with ETD once more and if I'm not completely deaf the audio track is the same (let's disregard the sound quality). Thus, the Sheffield version isn't in any of the movies.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 22:42 GMT 

Phew! Now I don't have to compare ETD with I'm Not There. There's a relief. Thanks guys. :D

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 22:52 GMT 

Like I said, I really don't hear many similarities between ANY of the bootlegs I have from that time period when compared to ETD/INT. I may have to go through the harp solos on each version again, but I've had a hard time figuring out where the hell that clip is from. I specifically downloaded the rather shitty audience recording of the Leicester gig just for that solo but I was pretty damn disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2012, 23:55 GMT 

iamhere wrote:
Man, I'm still in search of this concert to download. Your video just makes me all the more upset i can't find it in this good of quality.

Try this for size

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oo5nmz02koh

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2012, 01:16 GMT 

erikdw123 wrote:

Too many posts above to actually read, but my god, how good was the sound & vision on that clip? What was it Jeff Bridges said ? Ah yes, "Rock & Roll, phew!" 8)

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2012, 01:17 GMT 

Demagog wrote:
Like I said, I really don't hear many similarities between ANY of the bootlegs I have from that time period when compared to ETD/INT. I may have to go through the harp solos on each version again, but I've had a hard time figuring out where the hell that clip is from. I specifically downloaded the rather shitty audience recording of the Leicester gig just for that solo but I was pretty damn disappointed.
I did some checking and comparing. I can't find the ETD version either.
I don't know which '66 shows you've heard but I believe I've ruled out Dublin, Bristol, Leicester and Edingburgh.
The two London Royal Albert Hall shows seem doubtful too

Since Sheffield and Manchester were already out of the pool, my well is dry :(