Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 21:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2012, 04:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
arcadian wrote:
^ Wonder what going rate is for original "Dylan" (fool such as I) on vinyl? Better check ebay!

Mine cost a tenner. The CD is the one that's worth something.

My brand new one was a buck 99. The used one was free.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 09:56 GMT 

A very good week !
i was in gothenburg this saturday and bought the singles box! so anyone who lives nearby,Bengans got several copys! 325 SEK ,hurry on down and get your own!

also received the gaslight tapes 3LP box M/M in the mail yesterday for 15€ i thought that was a bargain!

and finally my friend is letting go of GAIBTY......

i very good week indeed...:-)

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 10:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

I got my ebay collection today. All discs are used, but I'm very pleased. Will post photos later.... not that y'all don't know what they look like :P but because I'm so very happy.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 10:32 GMT 

I Just ordered me some Blood on the Tracks. It is going to be my very first own vinyl. :D

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 11:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
I got my ebay collection today. All discs are used, but I'm very pleased. Will post photos later.... not that y'all don't know what they look like :P but because I'm so very happy.

8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 11:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Feckin' website doesn't let me upload photos.... oh wait, that should be in the swearing thread. :?

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 14:19 GMT 

I've recently noticed when playing my Dylan vinyl that the sundazed, simply vinyl and music on vinyl reissues seem to suffer from stylus echo, bleed over. I don't get this problem with any of the original or re-released Columbia records. Maybe it's got something to do with the 180g vinyl on the new stuff? I have a fairly decent hifi set up by the way, although not high end.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 14:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Iden and tity wrote:
I've recently noticed when playing my Dylan vinyl that the sundazed, simply vinyl and music on vinyl reissues seem to suffer from stylus echo, bleed over. I don't get this problem with any of the original or re-released Columbia records. Maybe it's got something to do with the 180g vinyl on the new stuff? I have a fairly decent hifi set up by the way, although not high end.

The 180gram vinyl may be offsetting the Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA) of your tonearm, due to its added depth, so I'd check that. Its quite tricky getting perfect alignment of cartridges and tonearms, tracking force, etc.

As this might show: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html#AZIMUTH

What make of turntable, tonearm and cartridge do you have?

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 15:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

Stylus echo? Never came across that when we all used vinyl! VTA sounds like a blighter to sort out... I did once sell a guy an Ortofon cartridge for about £400 in the early 80s, for which he became a member of the 'golden ear' club and got invited to private listenings at Ortofon HQ... all a little highbrow for me; give me a good dansette, a couple of threepenny bits to stick on the end of the tonearm and I'm happy :D

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 15:18 GMT 

First: It is not the topic: I love Greece and the people. I think about you and send you the best wishes! hey Europe- no way !

Second : It`so funny. 34 Years i led my vinyls ... they were lying in an old paper bag. Now, two weeks ago i` ve got a new
record player -- and the vinyls sound so good after all these years ! I don´t know why, but fist i hear "The Times they are a- changin`"
Funny is , that just now i find here this topic . 8)
Greetings ! Michael

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 15:59 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Iden and tity wrote:

The 180gram vinyl may be offsetting the Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA) of your tonearm, due to its added depth, so I'd check that. Its quite tricky getting perfect alignment of cartridges and tonearms, tracking force, etc.

As this might show: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html#AZIMUTH

What make of turntable, tonearm and cartridge do you have?

Nothing fancy just a project debut SE with a fairly standard ortofon cardtridge.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

Iden and tity wrote:

Nothing fancy just a project debut SE with a fairly standard ortofon cardtridge.

I use a Project myself - a 2.9 Wood. Its pretty low end but sounds great with a decent cartridge in it and I picked it up cheap secondhand.

There's one on ebay here right now if anyone in UK fancies a punt on a nice little rig: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-ject-2-9- ... 4161d081a4

Anyway, the Debut SE should be easily adjustable to make tweaks that eliminate the problems you're having.

If you register here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pro-ject/debut.shtml

You'll have access to the manual for that turntable, plus also a whole load of other valuable resources, and a great forum should you need to ask specific questions.

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:16 GMT 

Great thanks for that BB. This is my first turntable since I was a kid and will probably upgrade when ive had it long to justify to the trouble and strife! (wife for non uk people)

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hmm... might well bid on that beauty!

did bid.. but gazumped it up bonkers..

PostPosted: Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

stephenoxford wrote:
Hmm... might well bid on that beauty!

Cirencester not far from you eh?

Go for it - its a great table. I've had mine for a few years now and it's a peach.

PostPosted: Thu February 2nd, 2012, 17:04 GMT 

Not exactly on topic but I bought my first ever brand new vinyl LP Tuesday; it was Leonard Cohen's new album and came with the cd. It was worth it just for the album cover which is never too impressive in a cd jewel case. I'm going to go back to that store today and look through their Dylan selection. I know they have the Outfidels bootleg but I haven't really gone through the rest...

PostPosted: Thu February 2nd, 2012, 18:24 GMT 

desertmonk wrote:
Not exactly on topic but I bought my first ever brand new vinyl LP Tuesday; it was Leonard Cohen's new album and came with the cd. It was worth it just for the album cover which is never too impressive in a cd jewel case. I'm going to go back to that store today and look through their Dylan selection. I know they have the Outfidels bootleg but I haven't really gone through the rest...

How does that sound on vinyl. Tempted to get that one myself.

PostPosted: Thu February 2nd, 2012, 18:38 GMT 

Iden and tity wrote:
How does that sound on vinyl. Tempted to get that one myself.

I don't know, I didn't buy it. It is tempting though.

PostPosted: Thu February 2nd, 2012, 20:22 GMT 

Desert, I meant the Cohen vinyl!

PostPosted: Thu February 2nd, 2012, 22:30 GMT 

Oh, I'm digging the new Cohen album! I don't have a hi-fi record player so I don't know if it sounds better than the cd but the music is pretty cool, the instrumentation is quite sparse.

PostPosted: Fri February 3rd, 2012, 01:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
Stylus echo? Never came across that when we all used vinyl! VTA sounds like a blighter to sort out... I did once sell a guy an Ortofon cartridge for about £400 in the early 80s, for which he became a member of the 'golden ear' club and got invited to private listenings at Ortofon HQ... all a little highbrow for me; give me a good dansette, a couple of threepenny bits to stick on the end of the tonearm and I'm happy :D

Still have the Bang and Olufsen that was state of the art back near the end of vinyl, beginning of the CD. Never a problem and sounds as good as ever. Proper album and stylus care and cleaning over an entire life has paid off tremendously. Not a finger mark or a scratch on most of the thousands of LPs. Being a very picky buyer of used records and downright ruthless as to what would be allowed in worked. Each album is a respected work of art. What the hell is stylus echo?

PostPosted: Fri February 3rd, 2012, 08:33 GMT 

Thin, closely spaced spiral grooves that allowed for increased playing time on a 33⅓ rpm microgroove LP led to a tinny pre-echo warning of upcoming loud sounds. The cutting stylus unavoidably transferred some of the subsequent groove wall's impulse signal into the previous groove wall. It was discernible by some listeners throughout certain recordings but a quiet passage followed by a loud sound would allow anyone to hear a faint pre-echo of the loud sound occurring 1.8 seconds ahead of time. This problem could also appear as "post"-echo, with a tinny ghost of the sound arriving 1.8 seconds after its main impulse.

PostPosted: Fri February 3rd, 2012, 08:36 GMT 

If anyone got the AC/DC LP Powerage this phenomenon is clearly audible on the song " kicked in the teeth"

PostPosted: Fri February 3rd, 2012, 10:28 GMT 

Quasi, superb explanation. Saved me a reply! On the Dylan vinyl it occurs mostly on the acoustic albums such as times and another side of.

PostPosted: Sat February 4th, 2012, 01:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

Iden and tity wrote:
Quasi, superb explanation. Saved me a reply! On the Dylan vinyl it occurs mostly on the acoustic albums such as times and another side of.

Ain't happnin' here. Must be lucky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next