Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue February 20th, 2018, 11:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu January 24th, 2013, 02:24 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Nekronaut wrote:
Hey i was thinking of getting TOOM on Vinyl and was wondering if anybody know if this is the real deal and not a reissue bootleg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-DYLAN-Time- ... 19d76bc0ce

Why iam wondering because the price on it is pretty low (119 bucks LOL). iam saying low is because ive been seeing other copys in the 300 class range. Sorry for my bad English ;)

Yeah, that is a fake. I bought my fake copy for $50 about a year ago and sold it for $20, and bought myself a real pressing for $40. I would hold out for a legit re-release though.

As for John Wesley Harding, the original Mono pressing is spectacular, but I don't know how accurate the recent Mono versions are in comparison.

Thank you for the info, you saved me allot of money :) BTW can anybody tell me if the MOV version of Love And Thef is any good compered to the colombia version?

PostPosted: Thu January 24th, 2013, 13:59 GMT 

I love my MOV of Love and Theft. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its got such a warm sound and its much better in quality and balance than the CD version.

And as far as what you posted above...that TOOM looks fake to me. The vinyls are clear.

I don't know when they'll do a repress of TOOM but if you CAN get your hands on a new one do it. Its one of the prizes of my collection.

I'd imagine that they would do a repress of WGW before TOOM....just because.

PostPosted: Thu January 24th, 2013, 14:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Musty wrote:
And as far as what you posted above...that TOOM looks fake to me. The vinyls are clear.

No or very few official colored vinyl records by Dylan have been officially released. It's one of the first signs that something's fishy then you see colored (or clear) Dylan vinyls on offer.

PostPosted: Sat January 26th, 2013, 17:49 GMT 

Musty wrote:
I love my MOV of Love and Theft. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its got such a warm sound and its much better in quality and balance than the CD version.

Agree, it's a standout, a must!

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 01:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Musty wrote:

No or very few official colored vinyl records by Dylan have been officially released. It's one of the first signs that something's fishy then you see colored (or clear) Dylan vinyls on offer.

There's a handful of genuine colored Columbia 'vinyls' that were released due to a sneaky factory worker or workers at the pressing plant. They go for lots of moneys now.

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 04:34 GMT 

Side Note!

Just got my Good As I Been To You MOV release last week....wow. I love this album. Probably more than WGW...but only by a hair.

The guitar is magnificently brought to life and his vocals are so much clearer. I know this gets said too much and offhandedly with many vinyls...but this really does sound like Bob's in the room.

Unfortunately the cover has a tear in the top and bottom on the creases. I'm a little pissed about that. But the record is in fine condition.

Love it.

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 05:06 GMT 

vinyl. plural.

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 05:22 GMT 

Apologies.

I've had a couple of beers. Plural.

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 06:12 GMT 

haha well done. :)

PostPosted: Sun January 27th, 2013, 16:47 GMT 

Musty wrote:
Side Note!

Just got my Good As I Been To You MOV release last week....wow. I love this album. Probably more than WGW...but only by a hair.

The guitar is magnificently brought to life and his vocals are so much clearer. I know this gets said too much and offhandedly with many vinyls...but this really does sound like Bob's in the room.

Love it.

Yes, it's great! Clear, still warm and with the "in the room" feeling. Now let's get WGW and of course TOOM out.

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 14:29 GMT 

There is no such thing as a officially released colored vinyl with Dylan. Colored vinyl=bootleg/counterfeit.

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 18:40 GMT 

Musty wrote:
Apologies.

Why apologise? The laddie is wrong (and probably of the ilk that uses "teh").

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 23:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

quasimodo85 wrote:
There is no such thing as a officially released colored vinyl with Dylan. Colored vinyl=bootleg/counterfeit.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/International009.htm

There's a red John Wesley Harding shown in the link. Maybe more?

Though this does site claim they were a limited edition for plant employees, which is counter to the story I've heard of these rare LP's came to be. But they're not bootlegs.

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 23:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Why was John blushing? Weird.

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 23:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

you can dive into the pool, you can swim around underwater, you can collect all sorts of things - but when you come up for air none of them will ever get you back in that studio and even the musicians present at the time would argue about which sounded best. Whereabouts in the studio would you rather stand? It is an interesting but thankless quest.... the original tape is what it is, you can remix the multitracks to stereo or to mono over and over but you'll still end up with a 'version'.... there is NO subjective truth. Just listen to the music folks.....

PostPosted: Thu January 31st, 2013, 02:07 GMT 

My friends....

....Oh, how the Gods of Dylan Vinyl have blessed thee today!

I walk into one of my local record stores...pretty bummed out, and in a sore mood do to some other unfortunate events (which also turned out to be alright) and figured that nothing would be found that day of any importance.

However...three albums, two of which I have only heard of, appear before me, in pristine, near mint, and perfectly playable condition. Above all...rare Dylan unofficial release that I have only heard of, now adding immensely to my condition.

The first, is Bob Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 4th of July: Song and Dance.

http://www.popsike.com/Bob-Dylan-Tom-Pe ... 90206.html

Great recording, at least as great as can be, of an amazing show. The Heartbreakers aren't taking names, and Dylan is really feeling it. There seems to be a few songs of lesser quality, perhaps a different show? I don't know too much about this record, but still for what it is, and the fantastic condition I'm not complaining. This one, I will be surprising my father with as a gift.

Then, Blind Boy Grunt Halloween Masque

http://www.discogs.com/Bob-DylanBlind-B ... se/4070540

I had heard of this before, but not in a while, and it took me a minute to remember. But simply, this is the Bootleg Series Vol. 6 at the Philharmonic. Amazing condition, and not warping at all. What confuses me though, is that I know the recording is the same as the BSV.6....but the cover design says Carnegie Hall? No complaints though. :)

Last but certainly not least.

Bob Dylan - Saturday Evening Post Exclusive

http://www.popsike.com/BOB-DYLAN-SATURD ... 62748.html

This double LP has one LP which (though I haven't listened to yet) is a live performance at Gerde's...and the second being some acetate recordings of studio time with Dylan, apparently around the time the magazine cover was made. This one I don't know too much about either but have heard of it, and the second LP at least, is charming as hell. The few covers he and his band is doing is wonderful...along with greats such as "Wallflower," and a great, better IMO, version of "Song to Woody" with some country twang.

If somebody had some more info on this, like who the band is, I would love to know...as well as info on any of these. Really having a good day....and happy to have found these wonderful gems.

PostPosted: Thu January 31st, 2013, 18:51 GMT 

Musty wrote:
My friends....

....Oh, how the Gods of Dylan Vinyl have blessed thee today!

I walk into one of my local record stores...pretty bummed out, and in a sore mood do to some other unfortunate events (which also turned out to be alright) and figured that nothing would be found that day of any importance.

However...three albums, two of which I have only heard of, appear before me, in pristine, near mint, and perfectly playable condition. Above all...rare Dylan unofficial release that I have only heard of, now adding immensely to my condition.

The first, is Bob Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 4th of July: Song and Dance.

http://www.popsike.com/Bob-Dylan-Tom-Pe ... 90206.html

Great recording, at least as great as can be, of an amazing show. The Heartbreakers aren't taking names, and Dylan is really feeling it. There seems to be a few songs of lesser quality, perhaps a different show? I don't know too much about this record, but still for what it is, and the fantastic condition I'm not complaining. This one, I will be surprising my father with as a gift.

Then, Blind Boy Grunt Halloween Masque

http://www.discogs.com/Bob-DylanBlind-B ... se/4070540

I had heard of this before, but not in a while, and it took me a minute to remember. But simply, this is the Bootleg Series Vol. 6 at the Philharmonic. Amazing condition, and not warping at all. What confuses me though, is that I know the recording is the same as the BSV.6....but the cover design says Carnegie Hall? No complaints though. :)

Last but certainly not least.

Bob Dylan - Saturday Evening Post Exclusive

http://www.popsike.com/BOB-DYLAN-SATURD ... 62748.html

This double LP has one LP which (though I haven't listened to yet) is a live performance at Gerde's...and the second being some acetate recordings of studio time with Dylan, apparently around the time the magazine cover was made. This one I don't know too much about either but have heard of it, and the second LP at least, is charming as hell. The few covers he and his band is doing is wonderful...along with greats such as "Wallflower," and a great, better IMO, version of "Song to Woody" with some country twang.

If somebody had some more info on this, like who the band is, I would love to know...as well as info on any of these. Really having a good day....and happy to have found these wonderful gems.

Nice! have you checked bobs boots for info?

PostPosted: Thu January 31st, 2013, 19:30 GMT 

I did, and I found out most of what I didn't know. Except for who is playing on the session tapes of side four of Exclusive: Saturday Evening Post.

I know its Bob Johnston in the studio, because there is some interesting/fun chatter between a few songs. And Dylan calls somebody out to play piano on a few tracks...maybe Johnston?

Either way, I couldn't find out who the musicians are. But its obviously down in Nashville...just curious who it might be. This is the setlist...its a wonderful continuous set.

Wallflower
Song to Woody
Mama you been on my mind
Yesterday
Just like Tom thumb's blues
Da do run run
One too many mornings (Instrumental/Then Song)

The country rendition of Song to Woody is charming as hell.

PostPosted: Fri February 8th, 2013, 03:19 GMT 

Is there any audiophile advantage to 10" platters that are played at 33 1/3?

PostPosted: Fri February 8th, 2013, 15:25 GMT 

Musty wrote:
I did, and I found out most of what I didn't know. Except for who is playing on the session tapes of side four of Exclusive: Saturday Evening Post.

I know its Bob Johnston in the studio, because there is some interesting/fun chatter between a few songs. And Dylan calls somebody out to play piano on a few tracks...maybe Johnston?

Either way, I couldn't find out who the musicians are. But its obviously down in Nashville...just curious who it might be. This is the setlist...its a wonderful continuous set.

Wallflower
Song to Woody
Mama you been on my mind
Yesterday
Da do run run

These are from one of the first New Morning sessions, NYC 1st May 1970 with George Harrison, Charlie Daniels and Russ Kunkel, except for Wallflower which does not fit in here. Only known take of this, as far as I know, besides the BS 1-3, is the Doug Sahm session from 72.
http://bjorner.com/DSN01790%201970.htm#DSN01790

A nice boot from the May 70 session, with wrong ifo though.
http://bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-p25.html

PostPosted: Fri February 8th, 2013, 16:49 GMT 

art wrote:
Musty wrote:

Wallflower
Song to Woody
Mama you been on my mind
Yesterday
Da do run run

These are from one of the first New Morning sessions, NYC 1st May 1970 with George Harrison, Charlie Daniels and Russ Kunkel, except for Wallflower which does not fit in here. Only known take of this, as far as I know, besides the BS 1-3, is the Doug Sahm session from 72.
http://bjorner.com/DSN01790%201970.htm#DSN0179

Thanks for the info!

Its great to know that that is Harrison on guitar. I've always wished they would've released something together, and this at least will be as close as I can get. And the version of Wallflower, is the same that is on the BS Series, but it blends right in to the rest of the takes, like all of the rest of them...but its the first track, so it might just be a fading trick.

PostPosted: Sat February 9th, 2013, 20:12 GMT 

Tragos114 wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:

I have :

1. Blonde on Blonde (1968-69 UK )
2. Highway 61 Revisited (US , i think it's an 80's release )
3. John Wesley Harding ( Greek , 1968 )
4. Desire ( US , 1976 )
5. Nashville Skyline ( Holland , 1969 )
6. Street Legal ( Greece , 1978 )
7. Infidels ( US , 1983 )

I want:

Well , everything :wink:

I just bought Hard Rain ( original 1976 usa ) and another side of bobby ( Holland 1967 ) ! :)

Updating ! :)

1. Blonde on Blonde (1968-69 UK )
2. Highway 61 Revisited (US , i think it's an 80's release )
3. John Wesley Harding ( Greek , 1968 )
4. Desire ( US , 1976 )
5. Nashville Skyline ( Holland , 1969 )
6. Street Legal ( Greece , 1978 )
7. Infidels ( US , 1983 )
8. Hard Rain ( original 1976 usa )
9. another side of bobby ( Holland 1967 )
10. Slow Train coming ( manufactured in Holland and imported to France 1979)

10 and counting ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun February 10th, 2013, 14:01 GMT 

I haven't taken an inventory of mine in awhile so...why not?

Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Times They Are A' Changing
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Life and Life Only (Boot)
Bringing it all Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Planet Waves
The Ballad of Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
Basement Tapes
Blood on the Tracks
Plymouth Rock
Street Legal
Infidels
Love and Theft
Modern Times
Tempest

JESUS, when did I buy all this? I've only had a working record player for like 3 years and I've been a Dylan fan for even less. I guess that shows what happens when there's an amazing record store not 10 minutes away. You lose all your money! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun February 10th, 2013, 14:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Amen to that!

in other record store news: original new copies of Love and Theft available through amazon at $50 ~ seven left!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

PostPosted: Sun February 10th, 2013, 18:51 GMT 

Says they're 180 gram, I think those are the MOV releases, aren't they? The 2001 press wasn't that heavy I don't think.
Edit: Oh I see, in the "used" section?

Also, StHelens, I am not wrong. "Vinyl" is the correct term. Not "vinyls". I can understand how people would confuse that if English wasn't their first language, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next