Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 18th, 2014, 13:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 22:14 GMT 

I can't recall the show, but I remember one NET show where Al Santos got flustered, started the long intro, botched it, and then broke it off with "right here-- right now-- Bob Dylan".

Maybe one from the spring 2005?

Joe

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 22:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol: :lol: i'd love to hear that!

PostPosted: Fri November 18th, 2011, 22:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

That does sound cool. Would love to hear it. Not such a bad intro in general: "right here, right now, Bob Dylan!"

PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2011, 00:33 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
They should bin the whole story. A plain "Please welcome Bob Dylan" would do.

What she said!

Dust bin the intro. Time for it to go!

PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2011, 11:02 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Why not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFITa9eYoQ

PostPosted: Sat November 19th, 2011, 15:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

“Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the poet laureate of rock 'n' roll. The voice of the promise of the '60s counterculture. The guy who forced folk into bed with rock. Who donned makeup in the '70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse. Who emerged to find Jesus. Who was written off as a has-been by the end of the '80s, and who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s. Who continues to surprise the shit out of us in the 21st century with nightly reinventions and rearrangements of an enormous body of work where song titles matter not from show to show. Ladies and gentlemen, look around at the other 70-somethings that you know in life and make a mental note to compare what you doing when you finally arrive at this segment of life...if you can even function at that point. Ladies and gentlemen, the man that never sleeps — Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan!

PostPosted: Mon November 28th, 2011, 20:16 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
“Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the poet laureate of rock 'n' roll. The voice of the promise of the '60s counterculture. The guy who forced folk into bed with rock. Who donned makeup in the '70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse. Who emerged to find Jesus. Who was written off as a has-been by the end of the '80s, and who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s. Who continues to surprise the shit out of us in the 21st century with nightly reinventions and rearrangements of an enormous body of work where song titles matter not from show to show. Ladies and gentlemen, look around at the other 70-somethings that you know in life and make a mental note to compare what you doing when you finally arrive at this segment of life...if you can even function at that point. Ladies and gentlemen, the man that never sleeps — Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan!

that's cool !!!
:-)

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 09:37 GMT 

I have never heard 10 more exciting words than :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Columbia recording artist, BOB DYLAN!"

They need to drop the current crap intro and revert to this oldie but goodie....

Actually for a concert in Wales in the 90's which I attended, Al (or someone) did the above intro in Welsh. That was weird.

Pope

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 15:07 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
they could add....... "a music legend.... an accomplished visual artist.... a Pultizer prize winning author.......a winner of too many awards to list..... and is still getting the girls :P ..... Columbia recording artist....."

...."and if you only wouldn't clap so hard, or pelt the stage with Fisherman's Friends, Bob would be pleased to meet you all after the show, and sign autographs. Ladies and gentleman, Bob Newhart."

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 15:16 GMT 

How about acknowledging the real nature of contemporary capitalism by dropping the cute fiction that he's a "Columbia recording artist". He's a Sony contract performer these days.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 17:03 GMT 

Beginning a streak that continues to this very day on a retirement-defying, perpetual tour to wear away the last remnants of his vocal chords. Ladies and Gentlemen, Columbia Recording Artist Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 17:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

Flesh-Colored Christ wrote:
How about acknowledging the real nature of contemporary capitalism by dropping the cute fiction that he's a "Columbia recording artist". He's a Sony contract performer these days.

That's one point, and the other is, isn't he much more of a performing artist now?

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 17:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: Probably killing time in a supermarket while sig. other compares organic fruits
I was tired of this intro 7 or 8 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 17:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
It occurs to me that the current Al Santos introduction at the concert is getting heavily outdated. Why does it end with " who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s" What bout the 2000nds? We're almost 12 years into the new century... So what should they add to the intro?

what about something like this?

"In the 2000nds he dressed up as Santa, released a Christmas album and gave all the money away to the poor... Ladies and Gentlemen Columbia Recording artist... "

How about having the real SANTOS do the intro! SPICY!

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 18:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
I was tired of this intro 7 or 8 years ago.

It never was a good joke.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 18:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

does anyone know when this announcement was first initiated? and if there have been any hiatuses from using it?

or a link to the original article from which it was lifted? I've searched but couldn't come up with it.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 19:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: Probably killing time in a supermarket while sig. other compares organic fruits
I don't think it's up anymore, I've looked for it too. There was also a great review of the 1st concert it was used at by the same guy who wrote it (it was a pre-concert blurb). He was a little late and was walking down the aisle to his seat when he heard his blurb being used as the intro!! I think it was a very funny joke...for a while...

It was fall 2002, I want to say in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 19:59 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I don't think it's up anymore, I've looked for it too. There was also a great review of the 1st concert it was used at by the same guy who wrote it (it was a pre-concert blurb). He was a little late and was walking down the aisle to his seat when he heard his blurb being used as the intro!! I think it was a very funny joke...for a while...

It was fall 2002, I want to say in Cleveland.

I'm not 100% but I thought it was used when I saw him in Toronto in August of the same year.

PostPosted: Tue November 29th, 2011, 20:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

I could be confused - it wouldn't be the first time :lol:

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 02:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

The article was from the Buffalo News on 9 August 2002 and the introduction was first used in Hamburg, NY on 15 August the next week.

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 02:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you Barefoot and everyone else!

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 15:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Being that it's been a while since I checked out a new show or went to any concerts, this has no effect on my enjoyment of it. I like it. I think it's a comical and absurd intro that demonstrates how Bob likes to poke fun at his legacy. If anything, we should applaud Bob for having a great attitude about this and cheer him for creating a joke out of this that only REAL fans get.

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 16:48 GMT 

"Shut up bitches and put away the cell phones...Bob Dylan"

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 16:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

arabia wrote:
"Shut up bitches and put away the cell phones...Bob Dylan"

Yeah! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 16:58 GMT 

"Who knows what kinda cigarettes you're smokin' or what people are stickin' in your drinks? Ladies and Gentlemen, BOB DYLAN!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next