Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 2nd, 2014, 12:27 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 6th, 2014, 22:37 GMT 

I'm reading Manon Lescaut by Abbe Prevost for an online class I'm (very loosely) following, and came across this line. It was published in 1731 and was later turned into several ballets and operas, telling the story of a guy (the Chevalier des Grieux) and his obsession with his love, Manon Lescaut, which ultimately leads to a life of depravity. Anyways, it seems like something up Dylan's alley. Who knows, but it includes the line:

"I asked her whether this pallor was still the effect of seeing her brother murdered. She declared that, although she was very upset by the accident, her paleness was due solely to her having been parted from me for two or three months. 'You really love me very much?' I said. 'A thousand times more than I can say,' she replied."

Not exactly like Spirit On The Water's "When you're with me, I'm a thousand times happier than I could ever say" but similar, and very much in line with the feel of the novel with the following line, "What does it matter, what price I pay?"

Also, a few stanzas later is when he talks of being as pale as a ghost.

Maybe (probably) been brought up before and likely not related, but just jumped out at me when I came across it.