Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 16:34 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2012, 10:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
I'm hoping much of the unreleased material from that period becomes Official Bootleg Series, Volume 10.

You'll be pleased to hear that there are many rumours that in fact Volume 10 will be given over to the outtakes from Knocked Out Loaded; unfortunately I am responsible for all of these rumours.

PostPosted: Thu October 25th, 2012, 02:36 GMT 

Can someone please repost the file? I like what I'm reading about this one.

PostPosted: Thu October 25th, 2012, 04:58 GMT 

No problem. Killer song...and I think it's 'break' through.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cypawa

PostPosted: Thu October 25th, 2012, 07:23 GMT 

Someone's pointed out some lyrical errors. Here's what i hear:

vs 2

The word of God is more powerful
And sharper than a double-edged sword

Vs 3

Burdens impossible to bear

PostPosted: Sat October 27th, 2012, 12:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trev wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
I'm hoping much of the unreleased material from that period becomes Official Bootleg Series, Volume 10.

You'll be pleased to hear that there are many rumours that in fact Volume 10 will be given over to the outtakes from Knocked Out Loaded; unfortunately I am responsible for all of these rumours.

If you happen to be a Dylan insider sharing 'confidentially' about the upcoming releases, then by all means, start the rumor mills... outtakes from Knocked Out Loaded would be a wonderful addition to a Dylan musical library!

*** Back to the thread topic...

I'm introducing Cover Down, Pray Through to the worship team of the church I attend, obviously with the hopes it will be worked into the music at some point. Its a beautiful song and fun to play. We don't have the Queens of Rhythm and they do indeed add a lot to the song. Perhaps that's the reaon Bob doesn't play it anymore... Maybe he should bring them back. This would be a great number to add to the setlists since they do so much blues oriented music.

PostPosted: Sat October 27th, 2012, 12:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd be happy if the Queens came back. The Plugz too

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 02:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

It is definitely Cover Down, Pray Through. I don't know why I never noticed this before, but right after Bob plays this song (on the "Gospeller" April 20 1980, Toronto (Massey Hall) bootleg) he very clearly says "Cover Down, Pray Through...I wish someone had told me that when I was coming up."

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 02:24 GMT 

Should I assume that all performances have the same lyric?

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 02:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm unaware of any alternate lyrics for Cover Down, Pray Through... I haven't heard them all but I've heard most... a great song through and through

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 20:22 GMT 

What other non-album tracks played live during the gospel tours is Bob hiding from his official releases?
Cover Down, Pray Through
Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody

What else?

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 02:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

The first to come to mind are Ain't No Man Righteous (No Not One) and Blessed Be the Name of the Lord. Gems, they both are.

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 03:45 GMT 

Listening to it for the first time - this is awesome!

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 13:23 GMT 

Manflesh wrote:
What other non-album tracks played live during the gospel tours is Bob hiding from his official releases?
Cover Down, Pray Through

What else?

City of Gold, I Will Love Him, Let's Keep It Between Us, Jesus is the One, Thief on the Cross.

Could be missing one or two but along with the four already mentioned I think that's it.

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 13:26 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
It is definitely Cover Down, Pray Through. I don't know why I never noticed this before, but right after Bob plays this song (on the "Gospeller" April 20 1980, Toronto (Massey Hall) bootleg) he very clearly says "Cover Down, Pray Through...I wish someone had told me that when I was coming up."

That's right! He very definitely says "pray." Good catch.

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 20:12 GMT 

TheFatChocobo wrote:
Manflesh wrote:
Cover Down, Pray Through

What else?

City of Gold, I Will Love Him, Let's Keep It Between Us, Jesus is the One, Thief on the Cross.

Could be missing one or two but along with the four already mentioned I think that's it.

Another one is Blessed is the name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l57OaPDei8k

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 10:17 GMT 

So now we know this song is called "Cover Down, Pray Through".

Though bobdylan.com still says "Cover Down, Break Through"

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 13:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

^This has been a source of discussion and debate since I've been on Expecting Rain. I fell to the Cover Down, Pray Through side for several reasons. First, that's what I thought I heard when listening to the song. But somewhere I read that it is based (loosely) on a verse from Lamentations 3:4.

And third, which actually ties back to the Lamentations 3:4... Years ago, long before I had any gospel era bootlegs I was visiting a woman in the hospital near Atlanta that told me a story about her childhood and knowing a former slave who as a child had been on her grandfather's plantation. As she told the story, in the African-American/Negro spirituality, there were so many times when they prayed and it felt like their prayers weren't getting any higher than the clouds. She asked him, "What'd you do?" He said, "Sometimes you got to cover down and pray through" and he explained that it meant to persevere and not give up hope, even if you think God doesn't hear you.

I used that as an example in teaching and sermons several times for about 20 years before I got my first gospel era bootleg. I knew the very first time I heard it what it was and what it was referring to. The verses of the song do not really hint at the message of perseverance and hope but Cover Down, Pray Through is one of my favorite Dylan gospel songs.

PostPosted: Mon November 6th, 2017, 18:40 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
^This has been a source of discussion and debate since I've been on Expecting Rain. I fell to the Cover Down, Pray Through side for several reasons. First, that's what I thought I heard when listening to the song. But somewhere I read that it is based (loosely) on a verse from Lamentations 3:4.

And third, which actually ties back to the Lamentations 3:4... Years ago, long before I had any gospel era bootlegs I was visiting a woman in the hospital near Atlanta that told me a story about her childhood and knowing a former slave who as a child had been on her grandfather's plantation. As she told the story, in the African-American/Negro spirituality, there were so many times when they prayed and it felt like their prayers weren't getting any higher than the clouds. She asked him, "What'd you do?" He said, "Sometimes you got to cover down and pray through" and he explained that it meant to persevere and not give up hope, even if you think God doesn't hear you.

I used that as an example in teaching and sermons several times for about 20 years before I got my first gospel era bootleg. I knew the very first time I heard it what it was and what it was referring to. The verses of the song do not really hint at the message of perseverance and hope but Cover Down, Pray Through is one of my favorite Dylan gospel songs.

Thanks for that. It adds another layer to the onion.