Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 12:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 15:49 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
Probably the most lame post of the month, but here goes...

This is likely an urban legend of some type, but perhaps someone can prove otherwise.

My wife works with a guy whose brother knows a welder (starting out as the perfect urban legend, isn't it?)

Anyway, the story is that Bob loves wrought iron work and designs gates and fences for his homes. This welder then allegedly takes Bob's plans and builds the ironwork to his specifications. The story is that this welder works for other celebs as well, but Bob is his best customer.

Whaddyah thinK?

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 15:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

I think that sounds real believable..... It seems that there was something in Chronicles about old cars that he was going to take apart and create something himself............ I always kinda guessed (ONLY A GUESS) that he was doing something like that when he hacked the crap out of his arm (the injury that he talks about in Chronicles).........

It is pretty well known that as they built the house in California that they had special tiles made. I have written on here that I read about some special brickwork that he had done at his house (saw that in an architecture article) so it would sound right if he was into unusual iron work too........ so any pics?????

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 16:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

he does a good job on sidewalks fences and walls. i'd hire him to fix my fire-grate if the price was right.

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 16:05 GMT 

Well, he once sang, "my dreams are made of iron and steel."

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 19:45 GMT 

The Halcyon Gallery in London has been saying for several years that they are negotiating with Dylan to have an exhibition of his metal-work sculptures - it seemed imminent at one point but has gone quiet for a while now. They would be really interesting to see.

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 20:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

phaedra wrote:
The Halcyon Gallery in London has been saying for several years that they are negotiating with Dylan to have an exhibition of his metal-work sculptures - it seemed imminent at one point but has gone quiet for a while now. They would be really interesting to see.

Yeah, now that you say that it does sound really familiar.... about the exhibition I mean....

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 21:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, this is good to know...I will be in the market for a wrought-iron fence pretty soon. It'd be nice to have Bob make it. If anyone finds out where I can put in my order, please let me know ! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 22:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

Didn't he have something to do with the Gates of Eden?

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 22:38 GMT 

I have read that he does sculptures from old gates and cars that he has around his property. It wouldn't surprise me at all. The guy is a genius; Queen Ann - a Bob Dylan gate - what a gem that would be! Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 22:57 GMT 

Don't forget that he played a chainsaw-wielding sculptor in that awful 'Catchfire' film. Typecasting?

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 23:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

whatsittoya wrote:
Don't forget that he played a chainsaw-wielding sculptor in that awful 'Catchfire' film. Typecasting?

He did look quite comfortable in that role..... but perhaps it was just his wonderful acting.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 00:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wonder if he's in the yellow pages? I need someone to look at my rusty gates.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 00:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
I'm a welder. I create sets for theater. I want more info please. I'm always looking for new opportunities..

Somebody get me his new unlisted number!!

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 00:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
Now we know: Bob makes sculptures out of titanium, platinum, and mercury!

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 00:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

You are all funny :) This is quite wonderful :)

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 08:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

phaedra wrote:

This is a highly interesting topic for me and my "Visual Art of BD" project - if anyone has any more details on this, they'd be gratefully received!

I found one mention of this subject in a 1975 interview, and I'll have to read up on it in Chronicles, but that's all I have so far.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 14:46 GMT 

How many Bob Dylan's are there? Does he sleep at all? Maybe he's writing and creating new music as he welds, draws, and paints. Makes me feel like a complete slug. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 17:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Don't forget the boxing. In between world tours he finds time to ride his motorcycles and horses. And let's not forget that he is 70 years old! :D I, too, feel like a complete wastrel.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2011, 19:47 GMT 

Yes, he does and I would love to see a video of when he was fighting with that Gina Gershon and she supposedly knocked him out. I doubt she knocked him out, but they said "no head shots" or something and both immediately went for each other's faces. At least that is the story I heard.

PostPosted: Mon August 22nd, 2011, 04:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

fredsmommy wrote:
How many Bob Dylan's are there? Does he sleep at all? Maybe he's writing and creating new music as he welds, draws, and paints. Makes me feel like a complete slug. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Despite all the touring, he has relatively much time off the road in which none of us knows what he does, plus all the downtime before and after the shows. Some things he can probably do even in hotels or on the bus, like writing or drawing. It must be wonderful to be able to create so much.

PostPosted: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 15:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
Bob Dylan has a penchant for welding. He creates gates and other objects this way, and he welded a gate for Paul Simon’s wife, Edie.

http://www.cinchreview.com/bob-dylan-th ... ence/3781/

PostPosted: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 15:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

go back and read chronicles again...there's a fair bit of stuff about hands on type things...for instance he talks about building some of the furniture when he moves into his first NYC apartment. also a fair bit of stuff about making stuff out of scrap metal and that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 15:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

He said in Chronicles that he wanted to take his old Buick apart to use it for sculpting. He also describes his art studio. Personally, I'll draw the line at building furniture. Good for him who knows how to do it, but it won't go down in the art books, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 15:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

i still think it's sort of interesting...it's the kind of thing you would remember after 50 years, isn't it, the proud feeling you had after making a home for yourself and building parts of it with your own hands.

PostPosted: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 15:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

True. I think he also designed parts of his Malibu house, and I heard that if the construction workers did things different from how he imagined them, he practically showed them how he wanted it done.