Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 24th, 2014, 21:19 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Rainy Day Women #12&35
PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2006, 12:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 28th, 2006, 20:43 GMT
Posts: 163
Location: USA
Here is an article about the song that brings up what the song realy means:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_79354004


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2006, 14:28 GMT 
stopped reading when they said that sad eyed lady of the lowlands is about the catholic church :lol:

nvm i'm tempted to read on since i have nothing better to do


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2006, 22:41 GMT 

Joined: Wed January 18th, 2006, 00:55 GMT
Posts: 243
Location: Cornwall, England
I don't believe that anyone (but the man himself - and he ain't talking) can say what any of Bob's songs "really mean" . This article and a trillion others only says what the writer wants the song to mean, if you know what I mean.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 30th, 2006, 23:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun February 12th, 2006, 04:32 GMT
Posts: 2002
The name "Blonde on Blonde" itself is a reference to the Bible?
Hmm..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 01:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
I thought it was interesting . . . one good thing about interpretations, no matter how whacky, is that since we don't know the absolute truth, then they're all equally valid. i had never considered the confusion of the white horse/pale horse thing, it could create lots of problems for someone. :lol:

thanks for posting it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 03:39 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue July 19th, 2005, 02:06 GMT
Posts: 35
The article is quite silly. Dylan can't be analyzed in this manner.

But anyway, while I can't tell you what the song is about, I can tell you that it is not about drugs. He said so himself, and it's also quite obvious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 04:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 3rd, 2006, 18:47 GMT
Posts: 478
Location: home
yeah but its damn fun to listen to when your stoned! And when your 16 and listening to it while stoned and then fast forward 10 years later to hearing it in the car all I can think about is those good times stoned. Also just how many times has Bob said something to get people off his back? I mean just cause he said it wasn't about drugs may mean it wasn't about drugs, could be about getting stoned. But I have no idea. HAHA :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 13:27 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2750
Location: New Hampshire
This song isn't about drugs. What Bob meant was that because he hates everybody in the world, everybody must get rocks thrown at them until they die. It's so obvious. He laughs during the song because of the joy he gets watching people die.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 13:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
chrome horse wrote:
This song isn't about drugs. What Bob meant was that because he hates everybody in the world, everybody must get rocks thrown at them until they die. It's so obvious. He laughs during the song because of the joy he gets watching people die.


hey, that's not very nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 14:29 GMT 
Unless Bob says what a song means, and I don't think that
happens often, and even if it did you can't necessarily believe it as
true, you are pretty much free to take a song as whatever you
want to take it as, that's one of the fun things about his music, it's
so open-ended, but when you say it, one ought to qualify it with
something like -- here's the way it strikes me, not (like this article)
as - here's what it really means.

Just a thought.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 16:48 GMT 

Joined: Tue January 4th, 2005, 20:41 GMT
Posts: 102
It is about advertising and how it invades our lives


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 16:57 GMT 
It's about (to me) sarcasm & innuendo. It's one of his funniest
and most ridiculous songs ever. There's several versions and I
noticed, the beauty of this song is, the worse he sings it, the
better it is.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 17:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 6th, 2005, 13:08 GMT
Posts: 158
Location: Larvik, Norway
In this Norwegian book I have, the author goes through every Bob Dylan song and tries to find the meaning of it. About Rainy Day Women, he says that it may be inspired by Ray Charles "Let's Go Get Stoned", that is about getting drunk on alcohol. A "Rainy Day Women" is a marijuana cigarette, according to Time magacine.
And he mentions that Jonathan Cott, a Rolling Stone journalist that interviewied Dylan, asks Dylan this: "Everyone thought it was about being stoned, but I always thought it was about being alone." And Dylan replies: "So did I."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 17:46 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2750
Location: New Hampshire
Has Bob Dylan ever given an interview where he didn't lie about something? He is as famous for lying as he is for song writing. I just wish he would step up to the plate and speak out about the draconian pot laws and the damage they have done.

The mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, requested an interview with Dylan years ago when he played there. Dylan's handlers told the mayor that Dylan didn't grant interviews. The Mayor told Dylan's people "OK, then let me call in some of my police officers to search your tour buses". The Mayor got meet Mr. Dylan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 17:47 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2750
Location: New Hampshire
Has Bob Dylan ever given an interview where he didn't lie about something? He is as famous for lying as he is for song writing. I just wish he would step up to the plate and speak out about the draconian pot laws and the damage they have done.

The mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, requested an interview with Dylan years ago when he played there. Dylan's handlers told the mayor that Dylan didn't grant interviews. The Mayor told Dylan's people "OK, then let me call in some of my police officers to search your tour buses". The Mayor got to meet Mr. Dylan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 17:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
chrome horse wrote:
Has Bob Dylan ever given an interview where he didn't lie about something? He is as famous for lying as he is for song writing. I just wish he would step up to the plate and speak out about the draconian pot laws and the damage they have done.

The mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, requested an interview with Dylan years ago when he played there. Dylan's handlers told the mayor that Dylan didn't grant interviews. The Mayor told Dylan's people "OK, then let me call in some of my police officers to search your tour buses". The Mayor got to meet Mr. Dylan.


uggh. is that really true? do you have a source or link for that? i'm very disappointed in bob and agree he should have stepped up to the plate for all of us pot smokers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 17:58 GMT 
William F. Buckley and his magazine National Review have taken up
the pot issue. They are in favor of legallizing it. (I've mention it
before.) So, all of you ought to jump on the bandwagon and
subscribe today! You may learn a thing or two to bolster your
positions on controversial issues.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 18:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
Jim W wrote:
William F. Buckley and his magazine National Review have taken up
the pot issue. They are in favor of legallizing it. (I've mention it
before.) So, all of you ought to jump on the bandwagon and
subscribe today! You may learn a thing or two to bolster your
positions on controversial issues.


I'll climb in bed with Bill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 18:16 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2750
Location: New Hampshire
The story about the mayor is from a book titled "The Prince of Providence". You can Google it with Dylans name and it will pop right up.

Bill Buckley has been an advocate of legal pot for about 20 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 18:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
chrome horse wrote:
The story about the mayor is from a book titled "The Prince of Providence". You can Google it with Dylans name and it will pop right up.

Bill Buckley has been an advocate of legal pot for about 20 years.


Thanks chrome horse, I just found it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 19:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 28th, 2006, 20:43 GMT
Posts: 163
Location: USA
chrome horse wrote:
This song isn't about drugs. What Bob meant was that because he hates everybody in the world, everybody must get rocks thrown at them until they die. It's so obvious. He laughs during the song because of the joy he gets watching people die.


thats what i think it means :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 19:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
bdfan wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
This song isn't about drugs. What Bob meant was that because he hates everybody in the world, everybody must get rocks thrown at them until they die. It's so obvious. He laughs during the song because of the joy he gets watching people die.


thats what i think it means :!:


well, i guess its valid . . . but i thought he was laughing because they were having fun in the studio while recording the song. he isn't the type to do a phony laugh, is he?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 19:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue October 18th, 2005, 20:37 GMT
Posts: 3410
Location: London, England
I think he laughs basically because McCoy or whoever starts going "Woooooo!" during the verses of a song that's new to him.
He must have seen the future and been to a Never Ending Tour gig, you get plenty of that there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 19:34 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2750
Location: New Hampshire
There's more to it. Columbia records changed the lyrics to "Blowin in the wind" because they were afraid of the outrage it would cause. Some lines from the real version:

"How many stones
must one man throw
before he makes people die?"

That also explains the main refrain "the answer my freind is blowin in the wind", because depending on the wind conditions, you may have to throw more stones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 1st, 2006, 19:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 31st, 2006, 22:22 GMT
Posts: 385
Location: New Jersey
The Phantom of the Opera wrote:
I think he laughs basically because McCoy or whoever starts going "Woooooo!" during the verses of a song that's new to him.
He must have seen the future and been to a Never Ending Tour gig, you get plenty of that there.


that's what i thought, i may have even read an account of the recording session somewhere but i don't remember the source, i could try to dig it up if anyone cares . . .they should make an "emoticon" with grey hair and a confused look to symbolize "senior moment" I'd use it a lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hollowhorn, lmogan, Pequod, summerteeth, Warren Peace


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group