Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 21:00 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 13:17 GMT 

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Does anyone know why Larry Campbel no longer tours with Bob Dylan? He's a very talented musician as are everyone who plays with Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 13:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

You get the impression that it was more Campbell's decision than Dylan's. He wanted to go do his own thing.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 14:35 GMT 

he couldn't stand Tony Garnier's doublebass any more.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 17:07 GMT 

Maybe he'd played Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum just one too many times...

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 17:21 GMT 

I heard from a rather trustworthy source (someone else who has played/recorded with Larry) that Larry left the band but Bob begged him to come back for just a few more shows. Then Bob fired him saying "nobody quits my band".

I don't wanna believe it but i kinda do. The Levon Helm gig seems much more fruitful for Larry anyway. He gets more attention and more chances to play some amazing guitar.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 17:29 GMT 

Matt of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I heard from a rather trustworthy source (someone else who has played/recorded with Larry) that Larry left the band but Bob begged him to come back for just a few more shows. Then Bob fired him saying "nobody quits my band".

I don't wanna believe it but i kinda do. The Levon Helm gig seems much more fruitful for Larry anyway. He gets more attention and more chances to play some amazing guitar.

Hmmm... that's some story. It doesn't sound like something Bob would do, but I don't know Bob personally....

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 17:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

That wouldn't make much sense. Firing someone who had already quit? Telling him off like that would just insure he doesn't come back. It would be pretty stupid.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 19:12 GMT 

Doesn't match the timeline of events, or what Campbell's acquaintances reported at the time he left. Besides, Charlie Sexton quit recently, then was welcomed back. Levon Helm, too, although that goes back a while. Nor does it match the reports from the musicians Dylan has fired/dismissed from the band, as to how he'd do it.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 19:20 GMT 

monicasdude wrote:
Doesn't match the timeline of events, or what Campbell's acquaintances reported at the time he left. Besides, Charlie Sexton quit recently, then was welcomed back. Levon Helm, too, although that goes back a while. Nor does it match the reports from the musicians Dylan has fired/dismissed from the band, as to how he'd do it.

This is getting interesting. What musicians has Bob fired and how has he gone about doing it? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 19:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

There are lots of instances -- he's fired people en masse a few times. He wiped out most of the players from the initial Desire sessions, and if I'm remembering right, fired his 1978 band before hiring them back when he realized he couldn't find replacements quickly enough to honor tour commitments.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 20:20 GMT 

Van Morison made him fire Winston Watson

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 20:30 GMT 

I'd like to see him back for the summer tour!

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 20:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

I do not know, but ... was a serious error.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 21:03 GMT 

I thought that Bob's management did the firing--or letting go --or just not calling somebody back. Bob does have an EGO [surprise, surprise], so I would imagine that if a person got on the wrong side of him, he'd let them have it. He is in charge of his own company.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 21:49 GMT 

DylanEgo wrote:

Hmmm... that's some story. It doesn't sound like something Bob would do, but I don't know Bob personally....

It does sound like something Bob would do - he sacked Kenny Aranson after a bout of sickness saying (allegedly) "I don't give a shit who plays the bass"

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 22:22 GMT 

I know someone who knows Larry Campbell, and essentially he said that Larry just sort of came to the end of his rope. He said that some nights, playing with Bob was euphoric, but other nights it was just plain bad. He said that what Bob said was always final, and that he just got tired of working with someone like that.

PostPosted: Sun June 12th, 2011, 23:24 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Nekronaut wrote:
Van Morison made him fire Winston Watson

Winston left the band voluntary ... Dylan has never fired him.
But Morison had said to Dylan "fire your drummer" and Winston has haerd this.
And he has left the Band Voluntary.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 00:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

arthurprecarious wrote:
It does sound like something Bob would do - he sacked Kenny Aranson after a bout of sickness saying (allegedly) "I don't give a shit who plays the bass"

Didn't Kenny come to a show many months after leaving for treatment to ask for the gig back? By then a replacement had been found, trained and broken in on the road. Besides, he was drinking a lot back then, and hell, I'm a bass player and I don't give a shit who plays bass, at least to a certain degree.

From all I've heard Campbell left of his own free will, tired of the grind and possibly tired of Dylan as well. He's done great with levon, gotten to play a bigger role even producing...and he certainly seemed happy at the Levon gig I saw.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

There was an interview with Larry after the Levon gigs a few years ago. Reading between the lines, it sounded like he was ready for something different. There was no sense of dissapointment with Dylan. He had played with Levon and had done several gigs with the Dead and was having fun doing new music and playing with new people.

I have often wondered if he wasn't talked into staying when Charlie left. No reason to know but he had been with Bob for a good bit then and losing both Charlie and Larry at once would have been a real setback... Bob was just dabbling on the keyboard and likely would have had to gone back to doing the lion's share of lead and solos when he wanted to play with the sound a bit so he gave Larry a sizeable raise in pay to hang in until he could get comfortable with his keyboard playing.

But then again, maybe Larry just needed a break?

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 00:54 GMT 

Working for Bob Dylan must be hard.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 02:05 GMT 

Does Bob write the checks out to his musicians, or does his record company or manager. I know that must sound like a ridiculous question. LOL I'm sure they all have direct deposit. ;) Also, does Bob own his tour buses, or are they rented by him or his record company?

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 03:44 GMT 

I would imagine that Bob"s management takes care of bills and payments, and I think that the bus's are leased, but I'm not sure about Bob"s. I was wondering how many family members come along on tours. The latest book that I was reading says that he usually has a family member with him----that is, if you believe the book.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 07:35 GMT 

smoke wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:

Didn't Kenny come to a show many months after leaving for treatment to ask for the gig back? By then a replacement had been found, trained and broken in on the road. Besides, he was drinking a lot back then, and hell, I'm a bass player and I don't give a shit who plays bass, at least to a certain degree.

From all I've heard Campbell left of his own free will, tired of the grind and possibly tired of Dylan as well. He's done great with levon, gotten to play a bigger role even producing...and he certainly seemed happy at the Levon gig I saw.

The story is that Kenny was sick and had to leave for treatment. Bob told him his gig was safe and he could return when he was well. He came back and played (I think) one show and then Bob sacked him with his infamous statement. Kenny's replacement was, of course, Tony Ganier.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 10:55 GMT 

fredsmommy wrote:
I would imagine that Bob"s management takes care of bills and payments, and I think that the bus's are leased, but I'm not sure about Bob"s. I was wondering how many family members come along on tours. The latest book that I was reading says that he usually has a family member with him----that is, if you believe the book.

Last year I saw someone from Bob's team playing with kids outside the tour bus.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 12:05 GMT 

DylanEgo wrote:
fredsmommy wrote:

Last year I saw someone from Bob's team playing with kids outside the tour bus.

That frees my mind a little bit. All I could see was Bob sitting on his bus by himself, not conversing with anyone, just working on music or shows or books. I don't know what his habits are while on tour but having family along would tell me a different story about his life.