Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 06:48 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 10:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1833
Location: Ireland
wormington wrote:
I read on Behind the shades (if I recall correctly) that the album version of this track is a pale shadow of what they did with the song a few days before.
Apparently they cut a super-tight, magical version, but then the lawyers said they could be in trouble, due to some line about Patty Valentine, I think, so they had to go and re-cut it with slight changes on the lyrics, and were disappointed with the results.
Have the previous versions circulated?


There is an alternative version available on the Genuine Bootleg Series (Volume 1, I think). Personally, I like both. I am somewhat biased because I've always had a soft spot for what was the first Bob Dylan song I ever heard-on a 1976 Radio Luxembourg albums chart show, in which Desire featured at number 2.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 11:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Bennyboy wrote:

Amen to that brother.
Dylan at the zenith, this song his rolling thunder commandment.
Words are futile. You only have to have ears that are open.


Exactly.

Those who *hear* the lyrics before realizing, feeling, hearing the music must accept they're not really music lovers.
They might be cleverer than me or more intellectual, more attentive to historical backgorunds and more profound in their analytic approach to art.
I don't give a damn.
Hurricane is a great song, maybe his greatest, musically.
His voice, the violin, the catchy choruses, the backing vocals, the rhythm, the pace; it's all great.
The rest has nothing to do with music.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 11:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 603
Mickvet wrote:
wormington wrote:
I read on Behind the shades (if I recall correctly) that the album version of this track is a pale shadow of what they did with the song a few days before.
Apparently they cut a super-tight, magical version, but then the lawyers said they could be in trouble, due to some line about Patty Valentine, I think, so they had to go and re-cut it with slight changes on the lyrics, and were disappointed with the results.
Have the previous versions circulated?


There is an alternative version available on the Genuine Bootleg Series (Volume 1, I think). Personally, I like both. I am somewhat biased because I've always had a soft spot for what was the first Bob Dylan song I ever heard-on a 1976 Radio Luxembourg albums chart show, in which Desire featured at number 2.

thanks. I actually have that boot downloaded, though I never got to listen to it. I just heard it. It´s nice, slowed down, but not as thrilling as the album take IMO


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 12:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 18th, 2012, 18:29 GMT
Posts: 2343
Location: Besós River Shore
I love Hurricane. I don't know about other people reasons for not like it. Maybe because is a song that everybody likes (Dylan and not Dylan fans)? Maybe because it's not really clear about what really happened? I don't know. I really love this song.

For example, I really like "Only a Pawn in their Game" the music and the lyrics , but in this case I think Dylan was mistaken about the "Pawn". I know nobody agreed with me, but Byron De La Beckwith was not a "Pawn". He was a "Tower" or a "Bishop"... Dylan wrote the song really quick after the murder, and he wrote about the prototipe of man... but the murderer was not Dylan's prototype... For me the song doesn't work in the actual context. But it still remains as a great song, and I really enjoy this song when I listen to it.

Probably Rubin was not so kind, probably he was no an ideal of a "good man", but nobody is an ideal good man. Now he rest in peace and "Hurricane" remains as a terrific song written by Dylan and Levy.


Last edited by Senyor Timbaler on Sat August 5th, 2017, 12:04 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 12:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Probably Rubin was not so kind, probably he was no an ideal of a "good man", but nobody is an ideal good man. Now he rest in peace and "Hurricane" remains as a terrific song written by Dylan and Levy.


yes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 14:15 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 25th, 2007, 21:54 GMT
Posts: 1726
wormington wrote:
Apparently they cut a super-tight, magical version, but then the lawyers said they could be in trouble, due to some line about Patty Valentine, I think, so they had to go and re-cut it with slight changes on the lyrics, and were disappointed with the results.


That earlier take is far better. What I can't remember is whether the single was the same as the album version. You had to flip it at about 5 minutes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 14:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29th, 2006, 14:41 GMT
Posts: 4804
Location: In the middle
The John Hammond tribute performance, for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 15:26 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

Hurricane is a great song, maybe his greatest, musically.
His voice, the violin, the catchy choruses, the backing vocals, the rhythm, the pace; it's all great.
The rest has nothing to do with music.



I don't know, I've never warmed up to it. Bob is big into boxing, I think that is the main connection, and this was a sympathetic guy. I got sick of it real quick.

I remember when it came out, some people asked, why concentrate on an individual situation instead of speaking for all of mankind, as he usually did. Great song, but in terms of upper level Dylan, an also ran
for me.

I was fortunate enough to see it performed with the Rolling Thunder show in Florida and Lowell. I'm with the crowd who feels that "Idiot Wind" stole the show for unprecedented pure Dylan vitolic passion and historic performances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 15:50 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5760
Location: in the mystic garden
Great song musically. Those RTR performances are pure heat and really are the cornerstone for a lot of those concerts (I'm lookin' at you Madison Square Garden)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 15:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
effort wrote:
The John Hammond tribute performance, for me.


In the Hammond tribute version there are at least two spots where they cut the live audio and punched in the Desire version. Presumably to replace either a lyric flub or whatever legal issue caused them to re-cut the song. It took me probably a hundred listens to realize that these were punch -in's from the original version and not some audio or singing glitch. They did a pretty good job of it considering the technology back then and how quirky Dylan recordings are compared to the live performances. Key and tempo matched up so they were able to do it.

I'm wondering - Is there audio or video f this performance out there without the overdubs? I'd like to hear what actually came out of his mouth that night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 16:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
chrome horse wrote:
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

Hurricane is a great song, maybe his greatest, musically.
His voice, the violin, the catchy choruses, the backing vocals, the rhythm, the pace; it's all great.
The rest has nothing to do with music.



Bob is big into boxing, I think that is the main connection, and this was a sympathetic guy. I got sick of it real quick.
I remember when it came out, some people asked, why concentrate on an individual situation instead of speaking for all of mankind, as he usually did.


and this relates to *music* how???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Nightingale's Code wrote:
Great song musically. Those RTR performances are pure heat and really are the cornerstone for a lot of those concerts (I'm lookin' at you Madison Square Garden)


yes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 17:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29th, 2006, 14:41 GMT
Posts: 4804
Location: In the middle
Winter Lude wrote:
effort wrote:
The John Hammond tribute performance, for me.


In the Hammond tribute version there are at least two spots where they cut the live audio and punched in the Desire version. Presumably to replace either a lyric flub or whatever legal issue caused them to re-cut the song. It took me probably a hundred listens to realize that these were punch -in's from the original version and not some audio or singing glitch. They did a pretty good job of it considering the technology back then and how quirky Dylan recordings are compared to the live performances. Key and tempo matched up so they were able to do it.

I'm wondering - Is there audio or video f this performance out there without the overdubs? I'd like to hear what actually came out of his mouth that night.


Good question, I hadn't realised this. I'll open my ears and eyes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Winter Lude wrote:
effort wrote:
The John Hammond tribute performance, for me.


In the Hammond tribute version there are at least two spots where they cut the live audio and punched in the Desire version. Presumably to replace either a lyric flub or whatever legal issue caused them to re-cut the song. It took me probably a hundred listens to realize that these were punch -in's from the original version and not some audio or singing glitch. They did a pretty good job of it considering the technology back then and how quirky Dylan recordings are compared to the live performances. Key and tempo matched up so they were able to do it.

I'm wondering - Is there audio or video f this performance out there without the overdubs? I'd like to hear what actually came out of his mouth that night.



Really???
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Where, exactly?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5760
Location: in the mystic garden
I had never realized those audio splices either! I'm really not sure I even do now after listening again. Is it more apparent to watch the video than listening without?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
and this relates to *music* how???


Musically speaking? The violin does nothing for me, other than adding a kind of gypsy feel to it, which obviously a lot of people like. I prefer the blues sound and long lead guitar riffs - but as always, different strokes for different folks. When was the last time he played this song? It strikes me as kind of a flash in the pan, one that he was into then, but since has dropped out of sight(like many of his songs).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 18:29 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5760
Location: in the mystic garden
Early '76, where it belongs. Don't think this one would ever work outside of the crazy, amplified RTR tour. Remember when he tried to revive Idiot Wind?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 19:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
Quote:
Really???
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Where, exactly?


https://youtu.be/wFx8VByrahI?t=1m15s

I think it's just the vocal, not the whole mix that they drop in.

(hammond)
Three bodies lying there does patty see

(Desire)
and another man named bellow moving around mysteriously

(hammond)
i didn't do it he says as he throws up his hands

(Desire)
i was only robbing the register I hope you understand


There might be one more - I'd have to listen closely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 20:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Winter Lude wrote:
Quote:
Really???
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Where, exactly?


https://youtu.be/wFx8VByrahI?t=1m15s

I think it's just the vocal, not the whole mix that they drop in.

(hammond)
Three bodies lying there does patty see

(Desire)
and another man named bellow moving around mysteriously

(hammond)
i didn't do it he says as he throws up his hands

(Desire)
i was only robbing the register I hope you understand


There might be one more - I'd have to listen closely.


oh my gosh, you've got a point here; lots of points, a whole championship!
:shock:

my all time favourite song from my all time favourite artist in what is my alltime favourite rendition
(watching this video on TV made me a Dylan maniac) and I had never noticed this.
Crazy!
:roll:

Thanks for posting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 20:35 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
I think
04'53"
we got for the motel job is again from Desire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 21:40 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 5760
Location: in the mystic garden
^^Wow that's painfully obvious now that it's pointed out to me! Can't believe I never heard that before. I'll certainly never unhear it now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 02:08 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16698
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
It circulates and while some may prefer it it's hardly a revelation, imo. If I remember it doesn't have the energy that defines the hit recording, and the small lyric changes aren't all that exciting, either.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 02:12 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16698
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
I'd also like to defend the use of "the air is nice"...it's hard for me to articulate but it's one of those lines where the cliché itself adds to the effect - that effect being a statement that the boxer just wants the same things as everybody else. I don't think this is conscious for composer or listener, it just kind of hits me that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 16:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat December 10th, 2011, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 209
smoke wrote:
I'd also like to defend the use of "the air is nice"...it's hard for me to articulate but it's one of those lines where the cliché itself adds to the effect - that effect being a statement that the boxer just wants the same things as everybody else. I don't think this is conscious for composer or listener, it just kind of hits me that way.


Ha! I always thought he said "The area's nice", like he lived some place with nice lawns and low crime.

I just read Harmonica Albert's critique of the lyrics. I couldn't disagree more. For me, a budding Dylan fan at the age of 15, those lyrics drew me in. I didn't care about the story at all, I never knew who Rubin Carter was and I've always hated boxing. But the lines of the song, the images, and the way he delivered them, hit a home run with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 16:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2280
Location: Venice London
Winter Lude wrote:
I just read Harmonica Albert's critique of the lyrics. I couldn't disagree more. For me, a budding Dylan fan at the age of 15, those lyrics drew me in. I didn't care about the story at all, I never knew who Rubin Carter was and I've always hated boxing. But the lines of the song, the images, and the way he delivered them, hit a home run with me.



Yes.
And the music; and the fury; and the rage; and the energy; and the stamina; and the power.
gool old times....

The best years of the best Dylan, in a nutshell.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group