Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:17 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bob's Guitars
PostPosted: Thu March 23rd, 2017, 09:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Joining in 5 years too late, but: I just saw a picture of Bob playing a Les Paul. Does anyone know how often he's played Les Pauls on stage? I know there is at least one dodgy, maybe photoshopped image, but the one I saw was genuine. Here I thought he only played Stratocasters. Was this a one off? Or did he have a Les Paul period? :)

He played one with Neil Young in 1975 at the SNACK benefit. He played one again in 1997, which was a custom model Gibson gave him, but he stopped playing it as it was too heavy.

PostPosted: Fri March 24th, 2017, 06:54 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

He played one with Neil Young in 1975 at the SNACK benefit. He played one again in 1997, which was a custom model Gibson gave him, but he stopped playing it as it was too heavy.

Thanks.
Too bad though, it looked damned good "on him" (as it were). Having never played a strat I wont judge, but I never understood why he preferred a strat to an elegant looking, and great-sounding, Les Paul. And he's always chosen the worst looking strats to boot (apart from that early one).

PostPosted: Fri March 24th, 2017, 12:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

I love Les Pauls, and currently play one a lot, but strats are just such brilliant guitars. They're almost different instruments to Les Pauls. The single coil pickups react completely differently to humbuckers and there's so many options with a 5 way switch, even with the old three way switch. Strats sound and play instantly like strats. Although I suppose Les Pauls sound and play instantly like Les Pauls. They're like fire and water: you gotta have both!

PostPosted: Fri March 24th, 2017, 18:52 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I love Les Pauls, and currently play one a lot, but strats are just such brilliant guitars. They're almost different instruments to Les Pauls. The single coil pickups react completely differently to humbuckers and there's so many options with a 5 way switch, even with the old three way switch. Strats sound and play instantly like strats. Although I suppose Les Pauls sound and play instantly like Les Pauls. They're like fire and water: you gotta have both!

I've never played a strat. I'm hoping, some day, I will. But I wont hold my breath. I just managed, after five years of scrimping and saving, to buy a knock-off Les Paul (Epiphone. I love that guitar, my I sometimes I feel like I'm a philistine for not playing the real thing. And for not buying a strat since it was the holy sound of Dylans 66 strat that made me want to play) so the notion of ever owning a real-life Strat is pretty low. But who knows. Maybe I'll find one in a skip :lol:
Strats are supposed to be easier to play, "they" say, but I have no way of knowing.

PostPosted: Sat March 25th, 2017, 23:28 GMT 

The legendary Nick Lucas special, the one that's in so many hit songs of his and in Don't Look Back and Eat the Document is quite the guitar. I have an extremely reliable source that told me Jakob held onto this prized guitar, whether he still owns it is unknown (I imagine he does).

PostPosted: Fri May 19th, 2017, 06:00 GMT 

What guitar is bob playing at AFI 2009 then? Can't be a Fender. But is it a Gibson? To my untrained eyes it does, but the angle is too helter skelter...

PostPosted: Fri May 19th, 2017, 11:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's a Dusenberg. I presume Mick Campbell was playing one during the TTL sessions and Bob liked it. He played one for most of 2009.

PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 08:49 GMT 

Anyone know which guitar he played at the Milan show of 2011?

http://www.bigozine2.com/MP311/BDmilan/BDmilanFr.jpg

PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 10:31 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

That's a Rick Kelly strat.

Their own website is a bit clunky, this article is quite a good overview http://guitarsexchange.com/en/psych-out/32/rick-kelly/

PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 10:54 GMT 

JodyJames wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

That's a Rick Kelly strat.

Their own website is a bit clunky, this article is quite a good overview http://guitarsexchange.com/en/psych-out/32/rick-kelly/

Cheers. Was this a tour thing or a one-off, do you know?

And, that url says guitar sexchange... Come on! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri October 6th, 2017, 14:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

He played it most nights for a couple of years. It's got an eagle carved into one of the cutaways. The pick guard is wooden and taken from the walls of some club in NYC that was getting renovated or knocked down.

PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 08:15 GMT 

Bob Dylan Owned and Stage-Played 1963 Martin D-28 Acoustic... (Heritage Auctions)

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/music-memorabilia/instruments/bob-dylan-owned-and-stage-played-1963-martin-d-28-acoustic-guitar-serial-196405-used-at-george-harrison-s-concert-for-bangladesh/p/7164-14001.s

Bob Dylan Owned and Stage-Played 1963 Martin D-28 Acoustic Guitar, Serial #196405 Used at George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. An historic guitar used by American music icon Bob Dylan from the late 1960s, and played through his entire set at George Harrison's 1971 Concert for Bangladesh. Dylan's blazed through a mini-set which included "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry", "Blowin' in the Wind", "Mr. Tambourine Man", and "Just Like a Woman" with the help of George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Ringo Starr and other notable musicians. The guitar was also used during his "Rolling Thunder Revue" tour from October 30, 1975 to May 25, 1976. In 1977 he sold the guitar to noted guitar-tech and musician Larry Cragg. The guitar displays wear commensurate with stage use, but respectful wear in the form of the usual light scratches, dings and dents, more so at the upper edge of the back of the guitar, likely the result of a harmonica holder or the metal buttons of a blue jean jacket. There are some stress cracks running from the bridge. Grover tuners. The guitar includes what appears to be the original hard shell case.

In 1977 Dylan decided he wanted to play Gibsons instead of Martins so he offered two 000-18s and a D-28 for sale. Larry Cragg, working as a private guitar tech, was offered the three guitars at Dylan's home in Malibu. He bought the D-28 on the spot for himself and took the other two back to Prune Music in Mill Valley, California to sell on consignment. Thus it was that Cragg acquired "Bob", which he has owned to the present day. The guitar is accompanied by a letter of provenance from Arthur Rosato, Dylan's jack-of-all-trades at the time, describing the circumstances under which Cragg acquired the D-28. A copy of the bill of sale dated April 8, 1977 is included. The Prune Music receipt reads: "Bought from Bob Dylan Martin D-28 #196405 and case for $500.00". The guitar is also accompanied by two photocopied articles about Larry Cragg, one from a 1977 issue of Guitar Player; the other from a 2016 issue of Acoustic Guitar. This is a veritable treasure for the Dylan faithful, and a piece of music history.

PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 11:40 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Thanks.
Too bad though, it looked damned good "on him" (as it were). Having never played a strat I wont judge, but I never understood why he preferred a strat to an elegant looking, and great-sounding, Les Paul. And he's always chosen the worst looking strats to boot (apart from that early one).
I've always thought that Strats and Les Pauls are primarly for lead guitarists, soloists. Whereas the Telecaster is the quintessential rhythm guitarist's instrument. (I know this is wrong, btw).

PostPosted: Sat October 7th, 2017, 12:30 GMT 

critter wrote:
Bob Dylan Owned and Stage-Played 1963 Martin D-28 Acoustic... (Heritage Auctions)

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/music-memorabilia/instruments/bob-dylan-owned-and-stage-played-1963-martin-d-28-acoustic-guitar-serial-196405-used-at-george-harrison-s-concert-for-bangladesh/p/7164-14001.s

Bob Dylan Owned and Stage-Played 1963 Martin D-28 Acoustic Guitar, Serial #196405 Used at George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. An historic guitar used by American music icon Bob Dylan from the late 1960s, and played through his entire set at George Harrison's 1971 Concert for Bangladesh. Dylan's blazed through a mini-set which included "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry", "Blowin' in the Wind", "Mr. Tambourine Man", and "Just Like a Woman" with the help of George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Ringo Starr and other notable musicians. The guitar was also used during his "Rolling Thunder Revue" tour from October 30, 1975 to May 25, 1976. In 1977 he sold the guitar to noted guitar-tech and musician Larry Cragg. The guitar displays wear commensurate with stage use, but respectful wear in the form of the usual light scratches, dings and dents, more so at the upper edge of the back of the guitar, likely the result of a harmonica holder or the metal buttons of a blue jean jacket. There are some stress cracks running from the bridge. Grover tuners. The guitar includes what appears to be the original hard shell case.

In 1977 Dylan decided he wanted to play Gibsons instead of Martins so he offered two 000-18s and a D-28 for sale. Larry Cragg, working as a private guitar tech, was offered the three guitars at Dylan's home in Malibu. He bought the D-28 on the spot for himself and took the other two back to Prune Music in Mill Valley, California to sell on consignment. Thus it was that Cragg acquired "Bob", which he has owned to the present day. The guitar is accompanied by a letter of provenance from Arthur Rosato, Dylan's jack-of-all-trades at the time, describing the circumstances under which Cragg acquired the D-28. A copy of the bill of sale dated April 8, 1977 is included. The Prune Music receipt reads: "Bought from Bob Dylan Martin D-28 #196405 and case for $500.00". The guitar is also accompanied by two photocopied articles about Larry Cragg, one from a 1977 issue of Guitar Player; the other from a 2016 issue of Acoustic Guitar. This is a veritable treasure for the Dylan faithful, and a piece of music history.

Bob did not play the D-28 in 1976.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 04:37 GMT 

Brickbat wrote:
critter wrote:

Bob did not play the D-28 in 1976.

But he did play it at MTV Unplugged and some early NET shows?

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 15:54 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
In the late '80s he played an Ibanez cutaway.

I sense Long Johnny may be right on this... he probably plays what is given to him for free.

Actually thats a Washburn EA20. Anyway I'd be curious to see some images of the Nick Lucas 12 fret version?

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 15:58 GMT 

PSB wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:
Dylan has had more than one Nick Lucas. Check photos and see where the neck joins the body. Some Nick Lucas guitars had the neck join at the 13th fret (like in the photo above) which is very unusual since almost all other acoustics join at either the 12th or 14th. There are photos of Dylan playing one that meets the body at the 12th fret, clearly a different guitar.

My impression is that Dylan is not particularly interested or fascinated by vintage acoustics. In the book about the BOTT Minnesota recordings sessions the owner of the rare guitar shop that provided the rare small body Martin he used on some songs makes that point. I'd bet his choices are often based on what he gets given to him for free.

No, there was only one Nick Lucas like that. Marc Silber explains the whole thing an article. Nick Lucas' were Sunburst and arch-tops. Dylan broke the guitar (before Australia) and had a lot of work done to it, including making it into a flat top with a blond top, changing the pick guard and bridge. Joel Gilbert had a copy made, and now a custom company as issued a Dylan Nick Lucas. It is a totally unique guitar. To the contrary, Dylan is clearly interested in vintage guitars and has quite a few of them. However, he has only used them onstage on two tours, Tour '74 and Rolling Thunder. On Rolling Thunder on the acoustics it's was all vintage Martins and Gibsons and a lot of them. But like most performers who can afford to do so, he has his stage guitars and the good stuff does not go on tour for obvious reasons. On the NET, as far as acoustics go he has with a few exceptions mostly alternated between Martin D-28s and Gibson J-45s.

Those Martins played in the 70ies D-28 and D-45 seems to be new and not vintage judge by the images and the very light colored top of the guitars. Usually the tree would be darker when aged. What would be a vintage guitar in 1975 anyway ? A guitar from before 1950??

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 16:25 GMT 

Quote:
In 1977 Dylan decided he wanted to play Gibsons instead of Martins so he offered two 000-18s and a D-28 for sale.

That seems so bazaar to me. Bob must not feel any connection to material things. Guitars like that are investments. Most guitarists would be honored to have those models in their collection and would hang on to the guitars for life unless they really needed the $$.

I own 27 guitars, and my bank account would have to be seriously low before I considered selling any of them. My birthday is coming and that will make 28 :D

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 19:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
Quote:
In 1977 Dylan decided he wanted to play Gibsons instead of Martins so he offered two 000-18s and a D-28 for sale.

That seems so bazaar to me. Bob must not feel any connection to material things. Guitars like that are investments. Most guitarists would be honored to have those models in their collection and would hang on to the guitars for life unless they really needed the $$.

I own 27 guitars, and my bank account would have to be seriously low before I considered selling any of them. My birthday is coming and that will make 28 :D

I think Bob is more particular about his sound now than years ago but reading about some of his recording sessions and seeing him play live it seems that he'll take whatever is handed to him and make the best of it. Somewhat "in the moment", he seems capable of appreciating whatever comes out of the guitar right then more than chasing an elusive tone that may only exist in his imagination. He has surrounded himself thoughout the NET with guitarists who have very definite ideas and the ability to deliver and this has benefitted him tremendously.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 19:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob's never really had an attachment to guitars, which is unusual. He's never really played any guitar for more than a couple of years.