Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 06:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bob's Guitars
PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 14:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Inspired by a couple of other threads, i thought it might be interesting to start a thread devoted to the various axes wielded by Bob. I'd be pleased too see any pictures of bob straying from his usual strats. I'll start us off 8)

here's bob with a couple of Gibson SGs, the second may belong to George Harrison:

http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/1972/New_Years_Eve_72_NYC_7.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85847825.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5481C24C13F2FCBF894F0A60191C3B344ED96F748D0D733C7AF

Post subject: Re: Bob's Guitars
PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 15:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

There is not an electric guitar or a strato, but I love this guitar.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 15:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

My favourite "electric"

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 15:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

i love the nick lucas special, apparently bob broke it on his way to australia in '66...

the black tele for me is synoymous with badass rock and roll... probably because of dyla in '66 8)

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 15:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
i love the nick lucas special, apparently bob broke it on his way to australia in '66...

the black tele for me is synoymous with badass rock and roll... probably because of dyla in '66 8)

Nooooo!!!! :cry: I did not know this information. I thought that Bob still had the guitar. :(

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 15:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

from the dylanchords website:

“it got a little wrecked,” as Silber says. Reportedly because Dylan put a lot of harps on top of it in his case and the front caved in. DON'T DO THAT! Apparently, this happened upon arrival in Australia during the 1966 tour. Phillip T. Pascoe told me:

Happened on arrival in Melbourne, Australia in '66. He borrowed a really nice guitar made by a local luthier & played it on the rest of his “Australian” tour in Adelaide & Perth, while the Nick Lucas was being repaired.
The one he borrowed went on sale in a little guitar shop in Melbourne for $500.00. I went by that store after school every day for a couple of weeks and dreamed up ways of coming up with that kind of money (impossible when you're 18 years old). He had only played 4 concerts but that sucker had flat pick scratches all across the face. I'd watched him play it and man he flat picked from the elbow not the wrist.

who knows, maybe it was repaired and he does still have it... i bet bob has a great guitar collection, charlie sexton certainly he does, he seems to have a different guitar for every song :D

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 18:38 GMT 

The Nick Lucas was fixed. Dylan is seen playing it after Australia in various pics, and also Robbie Robertson is seen playing it in the hotel room scenes in Eat The Document, while Bob is probably playing Robbie's acoustic a Fender.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 23:28 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

who knows, maybe it was repaired and he does still have it... i bet bob has a great guitar collection, charlie sexton certainly he does, he seems to have a different guitar for every song :D

I would actually prefer a thread about Charlie's guitars :wink: that Trussart Tele he plays is a piece of art

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 00:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dylan has had more than one Nick Lucas. Check photos and see where the neck joins the body. Some Nick Lucas guitars had the neck join at the 13th fret (like in the photo above) which is very unusual since almost all other acoustics join at either the 12th or 14th. There are photos of Dylan playing one that meets the body at the 12th fret, clearly a different guitar.

My impression is that Dylan is not particularly interested or fascinated by vintage acoustics. In the book about the BOTT Minnesota recordings sessions the owner of the rare guitar shop that provided the rare small body Martin he used on some songs makes that point. I'd bet his choices are often based on what he gets given to him for free.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 00:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Long Johnny wrote:
I'd bet his choices are often based on what he gets given to him for free.
Or what's handed to him at the recording session... I remember reading about the Time Out of Mind sessions, Lanois handed Dylan guitars to try and Dylan didn't seem to give it much thought, he just played.

Charlie Sexton seems to have a guitar for every elusive tone he hopes to create. Bob seems to pick up a guitar and take a chance on what comes out. I think he cares but I also think his curiosity or willingness to try new things does not lock him into the quest for the perfect tone. Who knows? He may be tone deaf for all I know. I just don't think he spends hours and hours talking guitars, tones, sounds, etc.

In the last couple of years he's played a Tele Thinline, Deusenburg, Trussart Steelcaster, and recently this new Strat looking copy with the eagle (name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look for it).

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 09:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

bob seems to generally prefer a strat. i like to see him playing other interesting guitars though, there's a video from the eighties (somebody help) where he's playing some sort of what looks like an ibanez style guitar, pretty cool. i like the film of him rocking an airline in '76.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 12:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

In the late '80s he played an Ibanez cutaway.

I sense Long Johnny may be right on this... he probably plays what is given to him for free.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 14:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Could this be his first guitar?

anyone have info about this guitar? please.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 14:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

looks like maybe a Harmony or Kay archtop acoustic, the kind of stuff most american kids could have got their hands on at that time.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 16:39 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
Dylan has had more than one Nick Lucas. Check photos and see where the neck joins the body. Some Nick Lucas guitars had the neck join at the 13th fret (like in the photo above) which is very unusual since almost all other acoustics join at either the 12th or 14th. There are photos of Dylan playing one that meets the body at the 12th fret, clearly a different guitar.

My impression is that Dylan is not particularly interested or fascinated by vintage acoustics. In the book about the BOTT Minnesota recordings sessions the owner of the rare guitar shop that provided the rare small body Martin he used on some songs makes that point. I'd bet his choices are often based on what he gets given to him for free.

No, there was only one Nick Lucas like that. Marc Silber explains the whole thing an article. Nick Lucas' were Sunburst and arch-tops. Dylan broke the guitar (before Australia) and had a lot of work done to it, including making it into a flat top with a blond top, changing the pick guard and bridge. Joel Gilbert had a copy made, and now a custom company as issued a Dylan Nick Lucas. It is a totally unique guitar. To the contrary, Dylan is clearly interested in vintage guitars and has quite a few of them. However, he has only used them onstage on two tours, Tour '74 and Rolling Thunder. On Rolling Thunder on the acoustics it's was all vintage Martins and Gibsons and a lot of them. But like most performers who can afford to do so, he has his stage guitars and the good stuff does not go on tour for obvious reasons. On the NET, as far as acoustics go he has with a few exceptions mostly alternated between Martin D-28s and Gibson J-45s.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 16:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

tellmemomma1966 wrote:
looks like maybe a Harmony or Kay archtop acoustic, the kind of stuff most american kids could have got their hands on at that time.

Harmony Archtop Monterey

The Monterey "Leader" was a very popular mid priced (for Harmony) guitar

PS. Thanks tellmemomma1966

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 16:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Here's Mr Dylan with his Deusenberg.

Here is a list of guitars he's used

2007 Classic Player Baja Telecaster
1991 Strat Ultra
1990 Gibson ES-347
1986 Yamaha SBG2100
1980 Gibson L6-S
1971 Stratocaster

The link here shows Dylan playing a Bonnie Rait Signature Series Stratocaster.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 8Abbn6DXCg

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 17:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was never aware of Bob using a telecaster as recently as 2007. Any photos or info?

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 00:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

theres pictures of him playing a thinline tele in '09: http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/wp-cont ... willie.jpg

another interesting one from 2009 - looks like an es 137! http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2009_1/M ... s65_2.html

here's bob rocking a Jaguar in 1965: http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/1965_1/B ... mer_6.html

this whole thread has made me sad that i don't have more money for guitars and related stuff.

current stuff:
danelectro 59 DC
Tokai SG
Fender Deville 212
Big Muff
Vox Wah
'64 Guyatone lap steel

wishlist:
some kind of fuzz face
a BBE Soulvibe (univibe clone)
POG2
left handed strat which i plan to pain sparkley silver
some kinda boost pedal.
i have also always wanted a black, white pickguard tele for obvious reasons

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 00:54 GMT 

He was playing a Thinline Tele when I saw him in Evansville in '08...I think he played it fairly often on that leg of the tour. A copy of ISIS afterwards had a great shot of it, here's a scan:

Big version: http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7075/evansville1.jpg

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 01:01 GMT 

As far as other guitars, I liked his Deusenberg alot...I didn't care for that other semi-hollowbody he used for awhile in 2009 (that tellmemomma posted a photo of)...too bulky.

Can't beat the Fender electrics he played throughout 65 and 66.

As far as acoustics, my favorite is still the SJ-200 (I presume) he played for the afternoon workshop at Newport '65 that you can see in The Other Side Of The Mirror. It most likely wasn't his guitar, but looked and sounded great.

http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/1965_2/N ... age_12.jpg

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 03:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

that sure is a lovely guitar! that's the only time he's ever played it, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 12:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for the photo's of the tele, that really is a beautiful guitar. I only started following the NET in 2009, so i missed seeing bob rocking that thinline...

I was in a guitar shop yesterday and realised that even if i had a million pounds i still would be sad that i didn't have enough money to buy even more guitars :lol:

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 14:52 GMT 

The picture of Bob with Willie Nelson is from 2004 by the way not '09 :D

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 16:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Feb 1958 Image