Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 18th, 2017, 08:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 14:17 GMT 

Via today's (1/17/11) front page and Crain's New York Business...

Quote:
Rock legend Bob Dylan has a new book deal—with his old publisher, Simon & Schuster.

The house, which brought out the singer-songwriter's 2004 best-seller Chronicles: Volume One, has reached a deal with literary agent Andrew Wylie for six books, according to several industry insiders. The books include two follow-ups to Chronicles and a collection of riffs from Mr. Dylan's radio show on Sirius XM.

The deal came after Mr. Wylie had spent months trying to drum up interest in the project among other publishers (see Crain's, Nov. 22), despite Simon & Schuster's insistence that it had the rights to any Chronicles sequels. “Wylie's contention was that S&S didn't own the "memoir,' because Chronicles was "nonfiction stories' from his life and not a memoir,” said the editor. But no house would bite because of the potential for a lawsuit.

Mr. Wylie had been looking for an eight-figure offer, according to another editor, who didn't know the deal's final value.

The agent did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment. A Simon & Schuster spokesman declined to comment.

So, here's what I think has happened, and let me preface it by saying it's all nothing more than wild-eyed speculation. But I think that Chronicles 2 is finished and, even as I write, is in the hot lil hands of the gnomes of S&S. I think what happened is that after Chronicles 1 turned out to be both a critical and public success, and with the accompanying success of both Patti Smith's and Keith Richard's non-fiction stor-, excuse me, memoirs, that Mr. D.'s business people were dissatisfied with the terms of whatever deal they had originally cut with S&S, and were looking for leverage to renegotiate in their man's favor once the second volume was complete. Thus an anonymous source implies to Rolling Stone that Chronicles 2 is not a project he sees happening anytime soon, And thus, they send Mr. Wylie out into the wilds of the publishing frontier with the bundle of proposed books - one of which is possibly a completed Chronicles 2 manuscript - under his arm while S&S growled in the background that they would sue the buttocks off of any house foolish enough to publish either the TTRH "riffs" book, (which S&S almost certainly bought the rights to too in 2007), or any Chronicles sequels, and possibly even the poetry book too, which I wouldn't be surprised if they also had the rights to.

After much posturing and hoo-doo'ng, Mr. Wyle and S&S made up, Mr. D. got even more money if not the eight figures that Crain's claimed Wylie wanted and we can expect to see the TRRH riffs book, the poetry book and Chronicles 2 from S&S.

I'm basing the guess that Chronicles 2 is complete on the history of Chronicles 1. In October 2003, S&S announced that they had cut a deal with Dylan for his memoirs. Chronicles 1 was published almost exactly a year later, which if you know anything about the publishing industry is movement at lightspeed and implies that S&S had the (or at least a) manuscript in hand when they made the announcement. I'm guessing that all the kerfluffle around Chronicles 2 was because a completed manuscript exists and Wylie refused to turn it over to S&S without getting a new deal. The TTRH and poetry books were thrown into the mix just to lessen the sting... although there's probably bean-counters at S&S going, "So, we bought not only Chronicles but the TTRH book not once but twice?"

In any case, I think we'll see at least one - maybe as many as three - books out under Mr. D.'s name in 2011. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 14:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

More insights into the gospel years and reflection on their impact at the time and now?

Actually, if its anywhere near as interesting as Chronicles I don't care what he writes about. I'm ready.

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 14:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

Since the whole thing started out as a project for him to write some new liner notes for re-released albums, and BOTT has been mentioned in that context, I wouldn't be surprised if at least this part was long finished and will be included in the next volume.

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 16:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

I remember the periods supposedly being Blonde On Blonde and Under The Red Sky. I think Dylan even said as much in an interview. I'd like to see him continuing Volume One's trend of ignoring famous albums -- Infidels and World Gone Wrong all the way!

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 16:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Freewheelin' and Oh Mercy are not famous?

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 17:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^^^

Hey, Fred, with you on everything except one key point.... we are gonna see Vol. II and Vol. III
He likes to put out albums and books in the fall..... look for them as the trees turn.... :wink:

My wild guess.... he is only gonna turn 70 once..... start saving your loose change..... gonna need it to buy all
the stuff that is going to be coming out this year..... books, another in the bootleg series..... and who knows
what else...... new studio album is the only thing I would really be surprised to see show up in the stores....
this guess is based on absolutely nothing....

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 18:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Untrodden Path wrote:
More insights into the gospel years and reflection on their impact at the time and now?

Actually, if its anywhere near as interesting as Chronicles I don't care what he writes about. I'm ready.

I'd like that, too, UP. I've always thought Bob's Gospel years were generally under-appreciated.

I remember going to see Bob with my brother during this time. He was sooo pissed at Bob he wanted to leave the show. I didn't see what all the fuss was about at the time - maybe it was a girl thing for me? Looking back now, I can see how one might have had their feathers ruffled with all his holy-rollin'. But hindsight being what it is - he created some nice music during that time.

It would be nice if he talked about that era of his career a bit.

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 18:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

I hope he releases Tarantula 2.

I love the part that goes _ ''Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns."

But the ending left me wanting more.

PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2011, 18:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Freewheelin' and Oh Mercy are not famous?

Your Volume One had a Freewheelin' chapter!? Wow!

But yeah, the albums Dylan did discuss are only famous to people like us. Which is fine, I'm willing to read Dylan's thoughts on anything. The albums he chose formed a narrative... rise and fall. Someone throwing away his reputation, then trying to get it back.

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 18:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Via today's (1/17/11) front page and Crain's New York Business...

Quote:
Rock legend Bob Dylan has a new book deal—with his old publisher, Simon & Schuster.

The house, which brought out the singer-songwriter's 2004 best-seller Chronicles: Volume One, has reached a deal with literary agent Andrew Wylie for six books, according to several industry insiders. The books include two follow-ups to Chronicles and a collection of riffs from Mr. Dylan's radio show on Sirius XM.

I was thinking about this.... they put a stop to Fred's book and now this turns up.....

then add to that the mics and photos/video shows at some of the shows towards the end of the tour.... then add to that all that banning of youtube videos...... so... maybe.... do we have a concert DVD coming out....? Something along the lines of Don't Look Back..... Eat the Document.... Hard Rain... Renaldo & Clara..... Hard to Handle ..... and now.... Show Version 2010........ Yeah, baby.... 8) .... Individual and how about a box set with everything..... all polished up and pretty....... :P we will know it is coming when someone leaks the set list.....

I would love to see a good copy of R&C

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 22:23 GMT 

I want the books.

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 22:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Given the material available, is it possible?

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 22:36 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Lily Rose wrote:
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Via today's (1/17/11) front page and Crain's New York Business...quote]

I was thinking about this.... they put a stop to Fred's book and now this turns up.....

then add to that the mics and photos/video shows at some of the shows towards the end of the tour.... then add to that all that banning of youtube videos...... so... maybe.... do we have a concert DVD coming out....? Something along the lines of Don't Look Back..... Eat the Document.... Hard Rain... Renaldo & Clara..... Hard to Handle ..... and now.... Show Version 2010........ Yeah, baby.... 8) .... Individual and how about a box set with everything..... all polished up and pretty....... :P we will know it is coming when someone leaks the set list.....

I want a coffee table book of Bob with all photos from the past 15 years or so. Is that too much for one girl to ask? :(

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 22:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:

I'm sure there's a pristine copy somewhere. Would love to replace my YouTube rip. That really has to be first on the list of Dylan video releases. A double-disk with the Scorsese RTR documentary (if that's happening) would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue January 18th, 2011, 22:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I want a coffee table book of Bob with all photos from the past 15 years or so. Is that too much for one girl to ask? :(
Perhaps Lily could produce on showing the fashion changes of Bob and his band through the years with comments whether the guitars are for performing or another accessory. I'd like to know about the hats the band members have worn as well. Sometimes they look mighty dapper.

PostPosted: Wed January 19th, 2011, 00:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Perhaps Lily could produce on showing the fashion changes of Bob and his band through the years with comments whether the guitars are for performing or another accessory. I'd like to know about the hats the band members have worn as well. Sometimes they look mighty dapper.

Dylan fashion thru the years.... rather an interesting idea..... the hobo (or rag-a-muffin as Joan Baez like to call him).... then the times when he had to wear the tie to the record convention... ended up wearing around his waist..... then he became quite the dapper during that 66 tour.... then the county bumpkin (think JWH)... then came back out in jean style jacket (concert for Bangladesh).... then he went to jacket, but no tie (Tour 74).... then the trouboudor with one great hat (Rolling Thunder.... ooooh baby... 8) ) ..... I will have to do some checking on the next parts.... leather rock star... then kimono... then the hoodie times..... then into some made to order quite stylish jackets..... then the country squire and of course all the most excellent hats along the way......... he is rather a style show all to himself.... and that list is without really searching it out much......

Ok, your turn UP.... give us a guitar list.....

and now the band..... WoW what a list.... think of all the people he has shared the stage with.... and I am not even talking just walk ons one way or another..... I mean as band members..... what a list!!!!! Is there one already somewhere...... seems like there should be...... and is there a list of anyone that has played on one of his albums? That is an even bigger list........ and then the only thing I have read for sure about that is that Mick Jagger never got to play on any of his albums..... :P

PostPosted: Wed January 19th, 2011, 21:01 GMT 

predictions:
some more Johnny Rivers ass kissing.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 03:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes, this will appear late this year. I will be taking a couple of days off of whatever I am doing to spend time, make love with Chronicles 2.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 05:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mister.Jones wrote:
I hope he releases Tarantula 2.

I love the part that goes _ ''Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns."

But the ending left me wanting more.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 06:43 GMT 
Untrodden Path wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:

Howard Alk.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 07:07 GMT 
Senior Moderator

It will be fascinating to see what Dylan has chosen to write about in Chronicles 2 and how it relates to the previous volume.

R&C; a DVD release + 2 vols containing all the relevant written material.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 08:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
It will be fascinating to see what Dylan has chosen to write about in Chronicles 2 and 3 and how it relates to the previous volume.

R&C; a DVD release + 2 vols containing all the relevant written material.

yes, excellent idea

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 12:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

i sure hope so, the first book was so good! i'd also like to see him do another series of Theme Time Radio Hour. im starting to like both of those things just as much as his actual records.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 14:26 GMT 

Not to rain on the parade I started, but via the "Pop & Hiss" blog at the LA Times...

Quote:
Updated Jan. 21 at 11:07 a.m.: In response to an inquiry from Pop & Hiss, a source close to Dylan says there is "nothing to announce. [There is] a grain of truth in the Internet rumors, in that a variety of book projects are always being discussed, but no deal like that has been made."

Full story (you need to scroll down) at...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... uster.html

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 16:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

I only heard about the six books from the sources named in that story..... so don't know if there is really .... six..... books...... but I heard the story of Vol. 2 and 3 coming out in the fall from somewhere other than that story...... this source found out about the mono and Whitmark recording months before they happened.... and so I believe they will get this one correct too..... we will see Vol. 2 and 3 when the leaves turn in the fall.....

But Mr. D.... I sure hope the R&C stories turn out to be true..... but have not heard that one anywhere except here on ER...... :?

.... and that story that I made up about Dylan playing a warm up show here in Austin before going to the land down under.... it would be nice if that one was true too.... :wink: