Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 04:29 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 18:51 GMT 

I picked this up last weekend from a dealer. I was writing to see if there were any Dylan autograph experts who post on here. I'd imagine that at least a few people are quite skilled in this domain frequent this forum.

The item came in the frame that you see.

The second photo is a closer up shot of the signature.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/p ... 1280861417

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/p ... hoto-1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 18:56 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I'm not an expert but it looks like a fake to me. I have an autographed copy of Desire & The Basement Tapes. Neither look like this and I know mine are authentic. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 21:48 GMT 

Could be real. But it looks like Bob was in a bad mood when/if he signed it. Shocker :roll: .
Looks like he signed then scribbled over the signature. I've seen him sign with his left hand on occasion. Maybe its a lefty.

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 21:53 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Good point. I'd have it checked out by an expert.
These guys may do it for you for a small fee. I've purchased items from auction from them and can vouch for their honesty & expertise.

http://www.rrauction.com/

Here are their credentials. You should only buy signed stuff from a firm like this.

National Auctioneers Association Member.

Universal Autograph Collectors Club
Registered Dealer #RD043 Member over 20 years.

New Hampshire Auctioneers Association
Carla Eaton, NH license #3029

The Manuscript Society
Member for over 20 years.

Hope it works out - good luck.

Here's a Dylan item up for auction now:

http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=757

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 22:07 GMT 

I think there's a very good chance it is real IF you bought it from a reputable dealer.

I have a signed Slow Train album and of course it is way differant then that. However...on these kind of items, there usually handed to the artist by some bigwig (maybe the local promoter) and asked to be signed, so he / she can pass them out.(may even part of the contract) When you sign your name a half dozen / dozen times in a row and just want to get it done (and maybe drinking) your autorgraph is going to change.

I have seen differant Dylan signatures that I know were authentic and they all looked similar but differant.

BTW: my Slow Train album is probably a fake but it's a good one ! (more on that later)

Good article: http://www.angelfire.com/biz5/puru777/

PostPosted: Tue August 3rd, 2010, 23:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

If it's on a Visa slip, then it might be a fake. :|

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 02:30 GMT 

I've no personal experience with RR auctions but I'd be cautious of putting too much faith in them:

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html#

I follow this site mostly for the sports autograph news, as I make my living on these kind of things, and on sports cards issues this guy knows his stuff.

Buying autos in general carries some risk, especially for pricey signatures like Bob's. Ultimately it comes down to how much you trust the dealer who sold it to you, and your faith in whatever provenance the item has. You could pay a third party company to authenticate the signature, but even well established companies with generally good reputations (i.e. PSA/DNA) make mistakes, so it's a bit of a crap shoot, and spendy to boot.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 04:02 GMT 

I hope for your sake it's real!

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 06:20 GMT 

I got my Dylan autograph from these guys http://www.rockaway.com/online/online/index.php

I worked there for a few years and know mine is the real deal. In fact, I bought it around 1999 and on a recent visit the owner asked if I wanted to sell it back to him! the owners have some deep connections with industry types and they get a lot of rare stuff and private collections. Primarily, they are known to regularly carry rare Beatles memorabilia.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 11:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'd love to have a Dylan autograph on my Time Out of Mind cd, the first Dylan album I bought. It would mean a lot. That album started a journey that is far from over.

There are several autographs in my music collection, but I don't think I'll ever have enough trust to ever purchase one. Everything I have signed was from meeting the persons who signed it. Unfortunately, Bobby is not one of them.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 11:45 GMT 

I got my Dylan autograph from JJ Jackson :D

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 13:17 GMT 

I have 3 of Bob's autographs that I got in person, 2 in state college, and 1 in wilkes barre. If I can figure it out, I can try to photo and post them here, or somewhere, or even send you and email, and maybe you can compare. I guess the only iron-clad, 100% way of knowing a signature is genuine is if you are standing right there when it is signed.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 14:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Rounder wrote:
I've no personal experience with RR auctions but I'd be cautious of putting too much faith in them:

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html#

I follow this site mostly for the sports autograph news, as I make my living on these kind of things, and on sports cards issues this guy knows his stuff.

Buying autos in general carries some risk, especially for pricey signatures like Bob's. Ultimately it comes down to how much you trust the dealer who sold it to you, and your faith in whatever provenance the item has. You could pay a third party company to authenticate the signature, but even well established companies with generally good reputations (i.e. PSA/DNA) make mistakes, so it's a bit of a crap shoot, and spendy to boot.

Thankfully, I've been very happy with my scores from R&R and although there are a couple of things cited in that article, they are well respected in this field. Other people I know who's won auctions from them have gotten great items, too.

Thanks for the link, though. Hope this works out for the OP.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 15:31 GMT 

Lot of good advice here. I'm no expert on BD autographs, or on any autographs for that matter, but if I had to hazard a guess, it looks authentic based on several other later-era autographs I found on the Web. The "B" looks right, and several other autographs have the tailing flourish. On the other hand, I'd be a little concerned about the quote marks surrounding the autograph, which I didn't see used in any other autograph during a fast web search.

As someone mentioned, unless you were there to collect it, it's really impossible to know for sure, "expert opinions" and COAs notwithstanding. I have two autographs from Muhammad Ali that I collected myself, one of which is signed "Cassius Clay" that I got when I was but a sprout of 13, and one as "Ali" in his (and my) later years which is not more than a scrawl. Side-by-side there's no evidence that the signature is that of the same man.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 15:37 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
I have two autographs from Muhammad Ali that I collected myself,

awesome.

PostPosted: Wed August 4th, 2010, 16:17 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Here's a Dylan item up for auction now:

http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=757

The 1963 signature on that page looks a lot like the signature on the Drawn Blank series bicycle piece I purchased from the gallery. Those are (supposed to be) authentic and original.
http://www.bobdylan-art.com/

PostPosted: Thu August 5th, 2010, 18:06 GMT 

Couldn't tell you for sure, but it doesn't look like any of the other Dylan autographs I've seen. I know for a fact, however, that Bob often signs with his left hand (even though he's right-handed), so it could be one of those.

PostPosted: Fri August 6th, 2010, 03:46 GMT 

jalov wrote:
I have 3 of Bob's autographs that I got in person, 2 in state college, and 1 in wilkes barre. If I can figure it out, I can try to photo and post them here, or somewhere, or even send you and email, and maybe you can compare. I guess the only iron-clad, 100% way of knowing a signature is genuine is if you are standing right there when it is signed.

Tell us the story on how you got it please.

PostPosted: Fri August 6th, 2010, 04:56 GMT 

This is the best picture I could take.

I bought this thru ebay and I'm pretty sure it's real. For one thing I asked the guy if he could get me a personalized Dylan autograph. He was a regular autograph seller out in L.A. and told me...NO, I can only get what I can get from my sources. So the way I fugure it...if he was a slicky boy and had a forger in his command he would have said...SURE !

One of these days I'm going to write Bobbys people and asked them if it's real. I'll write the message on the outside of the envolpe and say enclosed is a self addressed stamped postcard. I have Dylans NYC fan mail addy some where in a book...just have to find it.

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 05:11 GMT 

I'm pretty sure I've seen this item on ebay before, but here's a look at Dylans signature on a 1974 legal document. (notice he signs it Bob)

Full document: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/101990

Here's a new one from BABF link: http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=754

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 14:28 GMT 

Attachment:
handt.JPG

How about this one? Experts?
Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 20:05 GMT 

So I have a planet waves cd cover signed by Dylan and the COA comes from Jeff Gold. Jeff Gold fella from http://recordmecca.blogspot.com/ the guy who found the Brandeis recording and sold it to Jeff Rosen and co. I highly doubt he sold me a fake!

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 20:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

The "B" looks good as someone else said. But after that anybody could have scribbled that. Still, I don't think ANYONE signs the same way everytime. I know I don't. Now I don't mean drastically different but never really the same. It would all depend on the legitimacy of the dealer. If it was Bob he could have been in a hurry, drunk, annoyed at being bothered. Who knows?

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 20:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

workingmanblues wrote:
So I have a planet waves cd cover signed by Dylan and the COA comes from Jeff Gold. Jeff Gold fella from http://recordmecca.blogspot.com/ the guy who found the Brandeis recording and sold it to Jeff Rosen and co. I highly doubt he sold me a fake!

fascinating link - thanks

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 22:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Many places that authenticate signatures use a big book that has 10-15 examples of each person's signature. If yours doesn't match one of those, they say it's fake. That's not authentication. That doesn't account for other variables - I had a copy of Imagine signed by Lennon at an airport. It looked odd because he was walking as he signed it. Personally, I assume all signatures are real until someone wants me to pay for one, then I assume all signatures are fake.

And I always look at a "Certificate of Authenticity" as a certificate of inauthenticity. :lol:

Authentic stuff don' need no stinking certificates.