Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 19:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 18:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

matt79rome89 wrote:
How much $ for a mint condition original and how many actually exist? If you can find all 8 mono albums in that kind of condition for less than $141 let me know.

They pressed millions of them so LOTS exist. If you need an LP untouched by human hands, then you will pay a lot. But the fact is that mono records pressed in the 60s were cut deep which means that there are records that look like they've been run over with studded snow tires that sound like CDs when you play them. There is a 100,000,000% probability that a VG+ copy of the original pressing of BIABH will give you a better idea of what the original vinyl sounded like than any reissue ever made will.

And 180 gram vinyl is a joke. It adds NOTHING.

There's also a 100,000,000% probability that 6 months after the new LPs are out there will be a number of audiophile articles criticizing them for sounding flat and distorted. Of course there will. :lol:

Some people prefer to have ALL OF IT RIGHT NOW. For other people there is a great deal of pleasure in the PROCESS. The time and energy spent in tracking down clean original vinyl for less than market prices is an essential part of the "collector" consciousness. this is why there is a fundamental difference between a "collector" and a "guy with a master card."

Don't misunderstand, I am NOT saying one is better than the other. I am saying that the interwebs have created a world of instant gratification and, in so doing, have cut off a source of some serious enjoyment. There is a difference between hiking 5 days into the back country and spending another week trying to get a glimpse of the animal you're hunting, missing your shot (then waiting 5 years to trudge back and have another go), and going to a park where someone has tied the animal to a tree and you can walk up and blast it.

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 18:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Long Johnny wrote:
matt79rome89 wrote:
How much $ for a mint condition original and how many actually exist? If you can find all 8 mono albums in that kind of condition for less than $141 let me know.

They pressed millions of them so LOTS exist. If you need an LP untouched by human hands, then you will pay a lot. But the fact is that mono records pressed in the 60s were cut deep which means that there are records that look like they've been run over with studded snow tires that sound like CDs when you play them. There is a 100,000,000% probability that a VG+ copy of the original pressing of BIABH will give you a better idea of what the original vinyl sounded like than any reissue ever made will.

And 180 gram vinyl is a joke. It adds NOTHING.

There's also a 100,000,000% probability that 6 months after the new LPs are out there will be a number of audiophile articles criticizing them for sounding flat and distorted. Of course there will. :lol:

I totally agree. If you have a record player and want the mono Dylan albums, buy originals. I'll be buying the mono set on CD because I want digital versions to transfer to my MP3 player. I'd download them for free usually, but I like the idea of owning these alongside my original vinyl for some perverse reason - kinda the ancient and modern in one place, if you catch my drift.

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 20:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

I said some time ago that it was pretty easy to get original mono albums if one takes the time to look - and often cheaper than these reissues. When I said that it was received with some scorn but it is true.... I really fail to see the advantage of purchasing a "genuine replica" when the genuine article is still around... a triumph of marketing over sense. Also it is pretty easy to turn any analogue recording into a digital version if one wants to; what boggles my mind is that people will pay good money to get an 'authentic sounding replica' which pays attention to the analogue aesthetic only to digitalize it, hence losing everything good about the analogue! to my way of thinking an analogue recording always sounds best reproduced in an analogue way, equally there is very little point in making analogue versions of a digital recording. I suspect the vinyl versions of recent Dylan albums (which I DO prefer) must have been remastered or remixed from the versions available on CD because they do sound different (better) to these ears. They are not simply someone transferring a CD to vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 20:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

slimtimslide wrote:
I said some time ago that it was pretty easy to get original mono albums if one takes the time to look - and often cheaper than these reissues. When I said that it was received with some scorn but it is true.... I really fail to see the advantage of purchasing a "genuine replica" when the genuine article is still around... a triumph of marketing over sense. Also it is pretty easy to turn any analogue recording into a digital version if one wants to; what boggles my mind is that people will pay good money to get an 'authentic sounding replica' which pays attention to the analogue aesthetic only to digitalize it, hence losing everything good about the analogue! to my way of thinking an analogue recording always sounds best reproduced in an analogue way, equally there is very little point in making analogue versions of a digital recording. I suspect the vinyl versions of recent Dylan albums (which I DO prefer) must have been remastered or remixed from the versions available on CD because they do sound different (better) to these ears. They are not simply someone transferring a CD to vinyl.

It's easy to transfer vinyl to cd, true. But to do it well, that's another matter. You can get needle drops of Dylan albums produced on a wide variety of turntable setups and software configurations and they all sound different. That's why I'm interested to see what Sony produce with this set. On top of that, the unified aspect of the boxset with the booklet etc holds its own artefact value.

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 23:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

A genuinely artificial and ridiculous "artifact value."

PostPosted: Sun October 10th, 2010, 23:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 06:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

Long Johnny wrote:
Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Indeed. Personal value holds more currency with me than monetary.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 13:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

If Sony really wanted to push the envelope they could issue the mono box with 5 different color covers so the "true fan" would have to own all 5. And each wold come with one insert unique to that color: the white box would have a button, the blue box a wee booklet, the orange box facsimile tickets, etc. Then they could wait 5 years and put them out again "remastered" on 197 gram vinyl.

And they could start a rumor that there were way fewer copies of the white and blue boxes.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 13:19 GMT 

Benny and LJ, maybe you can help me here (my head hurts and I don't feel like reading through the mountain of threads/posts about this release :lol: ).

I'm not into music via downloads/MP3s/files/torrents, etc. I'm not into converting stuff either. I'm no audiophile, and I prefer vinyl but I'm not averse to CD so long as material originally recorded in mono stays that way.

I'm one of those that does love the thrill of the vinyl hunt, but there are selections here like Guess I'm Doin' Fine and the piano Tambo that aren't on the original eight pressings.

So do I buy this thing or not?

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 13:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hoe do they put the grooves in them? With a small stick?

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 13:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

MatchStriker wrote:
Benny and LJ, maybe you can help me here (my head hurts and I don't feel like reading through the mountain of threads/posts about this release :lol: ).

I'm not into music via downloads/MP3s/files/torrents, etc. I'm not into converting stuff either. I'm no audiophile, and I prefer vinyl but I'm not averse to CD so long as material originally recorded in mono stays that way.

I'm one of those that does love the thrill of the vinyl hunt, but there are selections here like Guess I'm Doin' Fine and the piano Tambo that aren't on the original eight pressings.

So do I buy this thing or not?

Are you talking about the mono boxset or the Witmarks?

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 14:13 GMT 

^ The Witmarks. Actually, may be both/either. My head's pounding. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 14:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

MatchStriker wrote:
^ The Witmarks. Actually, may be both/either. My head's pounding. :oops: :lol:

Get the Witmarks and the mono cds. Simples.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 14:21 GMT 

Cool, tanx.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 15:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

MatchStriker wrote:
I'm no audiophile, and I prefer vinyl but I'm not averse to CD so long as material originally recorded in mono stays that way.

All of Dylan's LPs were "originally recorded in stereo" as well, weren't they? [hint: yes]

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 15:04 GMT 

Are we at all worried about the cd versions being over-compressed? I know when I downloaded the needle drop versions of Bob's later albums I was blown away by how much better they sounded. Will that be the case here as well?

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 15:07 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
MatchStriker wrote:
I'm no audiophile, and I prefer vinyl but I'm not averse to CD so long as material originally recorded in mono stays that way.

All of Dylan's LPs were "originally recorded in stereo" as well, weren't they? [hint: yes]

Oh, I just meant that in general, not re: Dylan necessarily.

PostPosted: Mon October 11th, 2010, 15:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

McSweeny wrote:
Are we at all worried about the cd versions being over-compressed? I know when I downloaded the needle drop versions of Bob's later albums I was blown away by how much better they sounded. Will that be the case here as well?

No. Read the first post in this thread. Seems like they've put some care into it.

PostPosted: Wed October 13th, 2010, 23:27 GMT 

Five stars for the Mono recordings in Rolling Stone, four and a half for Witmark.

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 00:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Will they release the brass rubbings made of the Blonde on Blonde sessions, or is that too much to ask for?

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 00:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

You can find those in lossless on Hunger City

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 02:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

For those who are arrogant enough to say these mixes are "as Dylan meant for them to be heard", consider that Dylan mixed these using 1960's technology. That is, he was listening to them through devices completely removed from what we use today. Had he been mixing with modern headphones (whoever "he" really was), he may have very well chosen to make different choices. The point is, if the bullshit "historical authenticity" is all that important to you, shouldn't you seek out some ancient, antiquated headphones to go along with your ancient, antiquated mixes?

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 06:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:
For those who are arrogant enough to say these mixes are "as Dylan meant for them to be heard", consider that Dylan mixed these using 1960's technology. That is, he was listening to them through devices completely removed from what we use today. Had he been mixing with modern headphones (whoever "he" really was), he may have very well chosen to make different choices. The point is, if the bullshit "historical authenticity" is all that important to you, shouldn't you seek out some ancient, antiquated headphones to go along with your ancient, antiquated mixes?

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's scan the mono lisa or Guernica into a computer and digitally enhance them!
You're such a pilchard.

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 07:33 GMT 

Location: In MY office - waiting with YOUR golden opportunity
Yeah. I'm all for the Mono Lisa too. It's such a shame that a respected institution like the Louvre has to show her in stereo, though that can never be the way Leonardo intended us to see her.

PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 2010, 10:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

"Mono Lisa" doesn't quite qualify as a Freudian slip, but it's awesome whatever it is. I'll also cop to not knowing the definition of "Pilchard"...

–noun
a small, southern European, marine fish, Sardina pilchardus, related to the herring but smaller and rounder.
any of several related fishes, as Sardinops caeruleus, common off the California coast.
The captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pilchard *

Oh... snap?

* - One of these may be fake