Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 22:29 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 07:45 GMT 

No Bob should win the Nobel Prize rumors this year. 'tis a shame as it gets everyone worked up for verbal thrashings.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 07:49 GMT 

Location: In MY office - waiting with YOUR golden opportunity
It's a strategy. Usually only people nobody mentioned win the thing.

BTW: Why did the cow throw away her bell?

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 07:54 GMT 

Damn, that means I ruined it! Sorry Bob, maybe next year.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 07:55 GMT 

Yep. Here's the odds: http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?act ... =undefined

Bob is at 33/1

I'd like to see Pynchon get it, but I guess that won't happen.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 10:35 GMT 

Wanna watch journalists waiting before a closed door for half an hour? Tune in now:

http://nobelprize.org/index.html

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 11:04 GMT 

Vargas Llosa it is! Was he on anybody's list?

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 11:21 GMT 

Oh I predicted it -
telltale wrote:
I think it'd be pretty bad if Dylan won : the spotlight would be shone on all the "borrowings" of recent albums, and indeed Chronicles. The impact of songs such as Mr.Tambourine Man, Like a Rolling Stone, Blowin' in the Wind, The Times They Are a-Changin', and the quality of songs such as Visions of Johanna, Tangled Up In Blue, Jokerman, Isis, Foot of Pride, Brownsville Girl, Blind Willie McTell, It's Alright, Ma, mean that he has a chance. Vargas Llosa is a great bet at 9 to 1.
- unfortunately, that was last year.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 11:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

I have it from an "inside source" that the Nobel committee is not snubbing Bob... in this age of media hype, they like to record the telephone conversation when they inform the recipient of their choice for posterity. With Bob being on tour year after year they never know how to reach him. Had he put off the Fall 2010 leg of the Never Ending Tour for another week or so, this could have been his year.

Hopefully, next year Bob will start the Fall leg a few weeks later, tour up through mid-December and include some selections from Christmas In the Heart.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 15:16 GMT 
Vargas Llosa has been on the short list for about 30 years and it's believed possibly he didn't get it sooner because of a reported feud with his former close friend and past winner Garcia Marquez.

However, this year, as I searched for information about who might win, I did see something interesting. A Swedish woman who is a literary critic has recently picked the winner several years in a row. This year she said she thought the award would go to some poet, I'd never heard of the guy, but she added "I think Bob Dylan is a dark horse this year." This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone who is Swedish and problem knows some people in the Academy ever mentioning Dylan. It was quite shocking. So, maybe as time goes on, inch by inch, there is incremental progress on Bob as a candidate. I wish he would publish "Chronicles II," since if they are looking at him, I'll bet that would help his case with them.

I also heard that someone this year nominated David Simon for the prize for "The Wire." That would have been a really interesting choice. More shocking than Bob. You feel me?

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 19:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

From today's NYTimes:

The Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, whose deeply political work vividly examines the perils of power and corruption in Latin America, won the 2010 Nobel Prize in Literature on Thursday. Announcing the award in Stockholm, the Swedish Academy praised Mr. Vargas Llosa “for his cartography of the structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat.”

Mr. Vargas Llosa, 74, is one of the most celebrated writers of the Spanish-speaking world, frequently mentioned with his contemporary Gabriel García Márquez, who won the literature Nobel in 1982, the last South American to do so. He has written more than 30 novels, plays and essays, including “The Feast of the Goat” and “The War of the End of the World.”

In selecting Mr. Vargas Llosa, the Swedish Academy has once again made a choice that is infused with politics. Recent winners include Herta Muller, the Romanian-born German novelist, last year, Orhan Pamuk of Turkey in 2007 and Harold Pinter of Britain in 2005.

In 1990, Mr. Vargas Llosa ran for the presidency of Peru and has been an outspoken activist in his native country. The news that he had won the prize reached him at 5 a.m., when he was hard at work in his apartment in New York, preparing to set out on a walk in Central Park, he told a radio station in Peru. Initially, he thought it was a prank.

“It was a grand surprise,” he said. “It’s a good way to start a New York day.”

He is currently spending the semester in the United States, teaching Latin American studies at Princeton University.

-------------------------------------------

Dylan's odds are never going to be more than a couple thousand to one.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 19:54 GMT 

Actually, Bob's odds at Ladbrokes this morning were 33 to 1. Not that I think he should get that prize...

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 20:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Vargas Llosa is a jerk.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 20:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

And the Nobel Prize is stupid thing. Dylan is not without the Nobel, the Nobel Prize have lost to Dylan.

PS. Excuse me again my bad english.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 21:45 GMT 

Never mind “his cartography of the structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat”, Vargas Llosa eloped with his aunt, married his cousin, and punched fellow Nobel Literature laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez in a Mexican theatre.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 21:51 GMT 

Seems like he knows how to redraw the "cartography of the structures of power" and has had his share of "the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat". Garcia Marquez is a horrible bore, so perhaps it's time for me to get into Vargas Llosa - he sounds fun.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 22:38 GMT 

Mister Goldsmith wrote:
Seems like he knows how to redraw the "cartography of the structures of power" and has had his share of "the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat". Garcia Marquez is a horrible bore, so perhaps it's time for me to get into Vargas Llosa - he sounds fun.

You dirty, double-crossing, back-stabbing phony.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:04 GMT 

jcastro wrote:
And the Nobel Prize is stupid thing. Dylan is not without the Nobel, the Nobel Prize have lost to Dylan.

its ok jesus.. if you are as cute as you say you are, you can speak english as bad as you want. 8)

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:14 GMT 

telltale wrote:
Never mind “his cartography of the structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat”, Vargas Llosa eloped with his aunt, married his cousin, and punched fellow Nobel Literature laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez in a Mexican theatre.

Isn't that a Bob Dylan song?

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:57 GMT 

besotted wrote:
telltale wrote:

Isn't that a Bob Dylan song?

Hmmm - it's got a "Love & Theft" feel to it
I'm staying with Aunt Sally ...
I'm in love with my second cousin/I tell myself I could be happy forever with her ...
Maybe there's a missing verse of Lonesome Day Blues where he blackens the eye of a Magical Realist in the Palacio de Bellas Artes ...

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 14:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

queen of love wrote:
jcastro wrote:

its ok jesus.. if you are as cute as you say you are, you can speak english as bad as you want. 8)

What Would Jesus Do?

Get a room.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 23:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
What Would Jesus Do?
The one gospel song I'm still hoping Bob will write. I can't help but think he'd take the concept to new levels.

PostPosted: Sat October 9th, 2010, 08:18 GMT 
Untrodden Path wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
What Would Jesus Do?
The one gospel song I'm still hoping Bob will write. I can't help but think he'd take the concept to new levels.

There's "What Will You Do When Jesus Comes?" in Renaldo and Clara. I don't know if Bob wrote it.

PostPosted: Sat October 9th, 2010, 11:04 GMT 

jcastro wrote:
Vargas Llosa is a jerk.

That's what my daddy and brother say everytime the news talk about him. They also say "es un facha".

PostPosted: Sat October 9th, 2010, 14:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Whoo ee! wrote:
jcastro wrote:
Vargas Llosa is a jerk.

That's what my daddy and brother say everytime the news talk about him. They also say "es un facha".

Right, I say the same. Even He is not so well, my wife is "Hispanista" and Spanish literature teacher, she knows a lot about this.