Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 08:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 21:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh what the hell....

If a record would be an actionable bootleg in the US and it is manufactured in a country where the copyright law makes it a legal product, IF you brought a copy into the US the sale of that would still be actionable. In practice, if you bring in thousands of copies of thousands of titles and set up a wholesale distribution place in a Cleveland warehouse, you are subject to being busted and having your stock destroyed, even if the stuff you're selling is 100% kosher in Italy.

It would be nice if hashish were legal in the US so long as you could establish that you bought it in Holland where it IS legal.

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 22:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

How long till the copyright on this thread expires?

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 22:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

Re LJ - Well that is obviously correct, sad but true... i thought the debate was as to whether US copyright law was applicable in other countries - it's not. so when y'all wanna get cheap and nasty copies of freewheelin' in a few years time get yr asses over to the uk! or not.

my pet peeve with copyright is about photographers - why should an image taken of me against a plain background (so that i am the only reason for the existence of the pic) be the sole property of the photographer? It is the visual equivalent of taping a live gig... i feel that (as in france) the subject should have some rights and at least part ownership.

this thread will continue for 90 years in the usa

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 22:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

lowgen wrote:
>>I think SuperMabel1 (and me too) are interpreting that line to mean that a U.S. author of a recorded work will be accorded the same rights [...] as a U.K. author

Sorry, but that's silly and implies that without the law, a US author would have NO rights in the UK.

No it's not silly, and it implies nothing of the sort. It is, as far as I (and, Fred obviously) can determine, the international law as defined in the conventions which have been signed by, I guess, most responsible nations; and it doesn't apply only to US authors in the UK. The UK law, as I've suggested above, clearly complies with the international conventions, as of course does US law, though the two states differ in the detail of their compliance. But I don't really know what, about my/our understanding of the UK and international laws, you've got a problem with? :? Or is it the UK's law and application of international law that's the problem? Or the international conventions? And why the (sigh)? :D

This thread's copyright will expire 75 years after the death of the last of its contributors (in the UK), 75 years + 90 years after the death of the last of its contributors (in the US), and is available for download now in the rest of the world - free and gratis for all. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu October 7th, 2010, 22:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

In Holland you can grow your own super strength versions of this thread - and then sell bootlegs of it!

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:00 GMT 

I wrote-
Sorry, but that's silly and implies that without the law, a US author would have NO rights in the UK.

That was poorly conceived simplification. Sorry.

The UK law incorporates the Byrne Convention and adds the part I quoted. If someone wants to ignore the quote or consider it meaningless, no problem.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
Re LJ - Well that is obviously correct, sad but true... i thought the debate was as to whether US copyright law was applicable in other countries - it's not. so when y'all wanna get cheap and nasty copies of freewheelin' in a few years time get yr asses over to the uk! or not.

my pet peeve with copyright is about photographers - why should an image taken of me against a plain background (so that i am the only reason for the existence of the pic) be the sole property of the photographer? It is the visual equivalent of taping a live gig... i feel that (as in france) the subject should have some rights and at least part ownership.

this thread will continue for 90 years in the usa

If it's a photo of me, or any other person in who 99.999% of the people on Earth have no particular interest in, then I don't see how it matters. IN fact, in terms of slander, libel, the non-famous or "regular" person has more rights than the famous person does. In terms of a famous person, when they go out into the world they are, in fact, fair game for anybody with a camera or cell phone and they have no control over the images that result. I believe the idea is that they have willingly put themselves into the public sphere -- nobody who releases records and tours and is on the cover of magazines around the world can make any claims to being a "private person" and not be rightly laughed out of a court.

Fame comes with all sort of pluses and minuses. You can get a table anywhere - no matter how booked the restaurant. You can get a ticket to anything, no matter how sold out it is. When you got to awards shows and such there are "goodies bags" with stuff like free Rolex watches in them. If you buy the house a round and pay with a personal check, it will never be cashed. You can probably stop at a house at random and ask to use the bathroom and it'd be OK. At any pub in the world there are 5-20 people RIGHT NOW who would be happy to buy you a drink. And so on.

The minuses kind of pale compared to that. Awwww.... somebody who bought all your records or saw all your movies wants to say "Hi" and get an autograph. Bummer.

Stop whining and sign it.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 00:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

Actually I'm thinking of a particular photographer who took a bunch of pix in the 70s, many of which are of only marginally well known people, who now raises all hell if one of the people portrayed uses the pic without paying him, even if they aint making a dime from it.... it's his 'pension' you see, despite that fact that the pics are of someone else. All pix were taken with consent at sessions (not pap type stuff) but its a load of baloney - if i covered a song and made money from it i'd expect to pay some kind of royalty, why are photographers exempt? Additonally if YOUR pic was suddenly used to advertise hair cream or something wouldn't you want some kind of payment? After all it's your head!!!

as you can guess i couldnt give a rats ass about celebs and their gripes with the papparazzi

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 01:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

lowgen wrote:
I wrote-

That was poorly conceived simplification. Sorry.

The UK law incorporates the Byrne Convention and adds the part I quoted. If someone wants to ignore the quote or consider it meaningless, no problem.

It's nearly 2.00 am here in the UK. I'm enjoying a last tot of 'The Famous Grouse' (fine, smooth blended Scotch whisky), which is a great enabler of mellow vibes. I'm not sure what part you quoted we're invited to ignore - but it doesn't matter, as you say. I enjoy your posts, lowgen, and wouldn't readily ignore you. :roll: (I imagine we're probably not that far apart in our views on this ... ). Good night from Essex, England, UK. 8) :D

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 04:57 GMT 

Location: In MY office - waiting with YOUR golden opportunity
If this discussion proves one thing, it is that there doesn't seem to be a single bloody lawyer aboard this precipitation-anticipating vessel. I take this as a good omen.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 05:45 GMT 

lowgen wrote:

Quote:
If someone wants to ignore the quote or consider it meaningless, no problem.

On the contrary -- let's parse it: "An author (in this case, Bob Dylan) from any country (in this case, the USA) that is a signatory of the Convention is awarded the same rights in all other countries (let’s take as an example the UK) that are signatories to the Convention as they (that is, the other countries -- in this case, the UK) allow their own nationals (that is, in this case, Brits) ..." That is, 50 years.

lowgen's interpretation is seemingly based on a different grammar: "An author from any country that is a signatory of the Convention is awarded the same rights in all other countries that are signatories to the Convention as it allows its own nationals"

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 12:49 GMT 

Bob: This is Theme Time Radio Hour. We're talking about money. Let's go to the phones. Hello, caller, you're on the air.
Carol: Hi Bob!
Bob: Hello to you. Where are you calling from?
Carol: Carbondale, Illinois.
Bob: And what's your name?
Carol: Carol Clark.
Bob: Well, Carol, what can I do for ya?
Carol: Well, I heard last week's "Money" show, and I really enjoyed it.
Bob: Hey, thanks a lot! We work hard on `em.
Carol: It shows! I heard you were doing another one this week, and I was wondering whether I could make a request.
Bob: Sure, what do you wanna hear?
Carol: Can you play the Beatles' song, "Money Can Buy Me Love"?
Bob: Carol, I think it's "Money Can't Buy Me Love".
Carol: No, no. It's "Can Buy Me Love." I used to have the record, I know.
Bob: Look, Carol. It's "Money. Can't. Buy. Me. Love."
Carol: I know you're Mister `60s, but I have the record. It's "Can Buy Me Love."
Bob: Alright, Carol, we'll look for it. Keep listening.
Carol: Thanks, Bob!
Bob: (sighs). You can't help some people.

PostPosted: Fri October 8th, 2010, 13:23 GMT 

Just because the copyright expires, doesn't mean anyone can get access t]o the whitmark master tapes to make a release. So on that end, Sony will always have the best sounding stuff because they own all the master tapes of Mr D.

PostPosted: Sat October 9th, 2010, 03:17 GMT 

joannenugent wrote:
Just because the copyright expires, doesn't mean anyone can get access t]o the whitmark master tapes to make a release. So on that end, Sony will always have the best sounding stuff because they own all the master tapes of Mr D.

Completely agree! I'd rather have paid $20 and got the best quality version I can, than have 10 knock-offs from different companies that all have varying quality.