Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 08:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 02:03 GMT 

Well here we go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hO-83CIVKM

'There's an interesting tension in [the album version of] 'Cold Irons Bound', perhaps more accurately an interesting inappropriateness between, on one side, the grinding electronic blizzard of the music and the cold aircraft-hangar echo of the voice lamenting its sojourn across a lethal planet- fields turned brown, sky lowering with clouds of blood, winds that can tear you to shreds, mists like quicksand- aqnd on the other side, the recurrently stated pursuit of tenderness, in phrases that seem imported from another consciousness...it's decidedly odd to hear, pitched against the Lanois winds half tearing us to shreds, sentiments as obdurately romantic as:

'I found my world in you.'
or
'I'm looking at you and I'm on my bended knee.'
or
'I tried to love and protect you.'

...and to hear such a defensively bleak, exhausted old voice articulate the thought that...
'I'm gonna remember forever the joy we shared.'
Michael Gray

One of Bob's greatest latter day rock songs has certainly not lost or diminished that tension Mr. Gray speaks of in his countless live interpretations of this song over the years. If anything, that dissonance has only become more palpable.
For me, when I heard the new version upon Charlie's return last year, I knew Bob had found the song once again and imbued a new razor-sharp reading of the song. The amazing Recile rhythm, the sonic landscape the band delivers, and of course, Bob center stage, with his hellish harp solos tearing through the song like a knife, it is truly something special.

I was present for IMO the strongest version of the song on the first night of his Hollywood triple show last year and it just blew everyone away there...I know I'm biased of course, but I have yet to hear a stronger one...unless of course someone cares to challenge this statement:)
Here it is:

October 13 2009
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rqol5u

What does everyone think of Cold Irons Bound??
Does anyone...not like the song????

What does "Cold Irons Bound" actually mean?????

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 02:42 GMT 

This song has been rearranged to death. The current "arrangement" is a smoldering carcass. Never have I heard a band both try so hard and fail so miserably to conjure up a sense of tension.

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 03:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thought next time we'd see you, it'd be a new name :lol:

Wrong Slippers, this is a highlight of the current set. The TTS arrangement was one of the best he ever came up with, and I was sure it would never be surpassed. Don't know if the new one does or doesn't, but that it comes close says a lot. Good show or bad, the band always nails this one.

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 09:27 GMT 

Is it me or, on the album version, is that organ way out of tune on the chorus? Is it me, or does it sound absolutely fantastic as a result? No live version could ever compare. Not unless Danny Lanois was behind the soundboard. Also, greatest bass line in a Bob Dylan song, or what?

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 12:25 GMT 

The arrangement they played in 2006 was very good. My favourite performance is from Fairfax, 17.11.2006:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gp91l5

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 12:37 GMT 

Cold Irons Bound is, and always has been, a personal favourite of mine. The utter emersion in misery is so full on, it indulges in self pity the same way you'd indulge in dark chocolate. Whenever I'm feeling down I put on this classic and pretend my problems are that dramatic (how could they be really?). Every single line is the epitome of utter despair and could be an epitaph of some sort.
And versions? Don't get me started.
The studio version is so murky as if they really are singing at about 3 am. It's dark and dingy and there's a real seedy quality that I love.
The first live versions turned the original on its head and they were like one of the worlds most self-loathing bar bands.
Words cannot describe how much I love the M&A/TTS version and it would definitely be my favourite.
The 2009 rearrangement is almost scary it's coldness, all the internal hatred is now directed outwards and every member of the band, including Bob, sounds positively evil!

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 13:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

love it love it love it

my favourite versions from shepherds bush in 03, as the opening track it punches you in the gut, mind you everything from that concert is nothing short of amazing

love the bass line from the album version as well

PostPosted: Sun July 25th, 2010, 15:04 GMT 

cold irons bound is awesome. Great performance, lyrics, and production. This is the last dylan rock song where I don't think.. hmm where have I heard this before?

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 01:56 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
Cold Irons Bound is, and always has been, a personal favourite of mine. The utter emersion in misery is so full on, it indulges in self pity the same way you'd indulge in dark chocolate. Whenever I'm feeling down I put on this classic and pretend my problems are that dramatic (how could they be really?). Every single line is the epitome of utter despair and could be an epitaph of some sort.
The studio version is so murky as if they really are singing at about 3 am. It's dark and dingy and there's a real seedy quality that I love.
The first live versions turned the original on its head and they were like one of the worlds most self-loathing bar bands.
Words cannot describe how much I love the M&A/TTS version and it would definitely be my favourite.
The 2009 rearrangement is almost scary it's coldness, all the internal hatred is now directed outwards and every member of the band, including Bob, sounds positively evil!

Lovely post and a great assessment of the song in its current state...thanks:)

TheTruthIsObscure wrote:
The arrangement they played in 2006 was very good. My favourite performance is from Fairfax, 17.11.2006:

I too love the one from Shepherds Bush Mr. Matt as I do the whole concert.
However, the one posted above by TruthIsObscure is tremendous! Never heard that before...sounds like a cousin to High Water and a real barn-burner...Thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 02:11 GMT 

I really love this one. Totally rocks. It's great to listen to while walking down the street, hands in pockets, stepping to the beat...gives me a mean, powerful, confident sort of attitude. 8)

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 02:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

marker wrote:
What does "Cold Irons Bound" actually mean?

Orange suit

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 02:33 GMT 

marker wrote:
I was present for IMO the strongest version of the song on the first night of his Hollywood triple show last year...

Try Portland 10/7. I seem to be the only one ever mentioning this. That and the Workingman's.

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 02:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:

Well said... I think this is one of those songs that there's never been a truly bad version of, just good, really good, and GREAT.

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 08:11 GMT 

TheTruthIsObscure wrote:

WHOA! That kicks some serious ass. 2006 was such a great vocal year, singing not shouting, and this is a great one to play for anyone who thinks Denny couldn't play guitar.

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 12:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

I haven't heard a version since 2005 that I really yearned to hear a second time. However, Cold Irons Bound is a great song and whether in the studio or live, it has been a stunner. I've never heard a version that was a disappointment.

Bob in an interview after winning the Grammy for this said something to the effect, "We didn't realize what we had." I don't see how he could have missed it but one thing for certain... they had a keeper!

PostPosted: Mon August 15th, 2011, 22:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

From an interview with Charlie Sexton in the Dallas Observer in 2008...

You’ve played several tours with Dylan and you've gone in the studio with him as well. Eric Clapton once said that, in order to play with Dylan, you had to come in prepared to watch Dylan’s hands so you know the chord changes. What has been your experience?

It was that way sometimes. Things were always changing. I wouldn’t watch his hands--I can use my ears. Dylan has lived through the history of the recording industry. When Dylan began, he spent no more than four days making a record. Things are different now. I first toured with Dylan when he was touring with Paul Simon, so I only had to learn the songs most people were aware of. But, on his own, Dylan would rearrange so many songs. What he did with “Cold Irons Bound” was simply amazing. People always criticize Bob, saying he doesn’t know the song, but such is kind of silly. Most of the critics could not write a song half as good as him and they're complaining? He’s got a thousand great songs and a couple of thousand that are really, really good. To expect Dylan to act like everybody else is not realistic.

A link to the remainder of the interview for those who are interested:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/200 ... orking.php

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 04:38 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I haven't heard a version since 2005 that I really yearned to hear a second time. However, Cold Irons Bound is a great song and whether in the studio or live, it has been a stunner. I've never heard a version that was a disappointment.

Bob in an interview after winning the Grammy for this said something to the effect, "We didn't realize what we had." I don't see how he could have missed it but one thing for certain... they had a keeper!

i thought last years was great. the highlight of the tour maybe.

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 04:59 GMT 

Botticelli's Niece wrote:
I really love this one. Totally rocks. It's great to listen to while walking down the street, hands in pockets, stepping to the beat...gives me a mean, powerful, confident sort of attitude. 8)

i know exactly what you mean. :)

me, it took some time before i started to appreciate the song. now i love it, it's haunting, dark, cold and black, andbesides i know no other song like that..

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 06:42 GMT 

I've loved this song ever since it got out of the studio (as I feel about most Lanois productions), starting with the El Rey, Los Angeles '97 version on the "Love Sick" CD single and "Thirty-Nine Years" live compilation. The pounding arrangement from the last 2 years delivers too, but the definitive recording for me is the Masked & Anonymous one, with all the dynamics nailed just right, and there was a long period where I had to hear it every day.

I always thought the song owed something to "Cold Iron Bed" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49uePhhJ7rU), and Dylan seems to be dreading a similar unwelcoming and lonely place -- perhaps in iron shackles or a cold cell.

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 10:15 GMT 

Great song and I've pretty much loved all the rearranged versions. The song clearly means a lot to him given the extensive attention he's given it over the years and the various incarnations of it that we have been treated to

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 10:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have these new in-ear phones - the Hifiman RE272 - which dig up an insane amount of sonic detail from music, to the point where you can hear singers breathing and fingers on strings.

I was listening to Time Out of Mind through them in the dark, around midnight last night.

That whole album has so many layers of sound it's not true, layers that are just not evident if you're listening on lower grade kit. I'm itching so bad for a remaster that allows all the parts to properly shine.

Cold Iron Bounds, specifically, is sooo much better once you can hear through the apparent mist and murk of the production, to realise it's sonically crafted work of propulsive genius. With some reggae in there too. Nice.

Great song. It's everything that rubbish Rollin' & Tumblin' and Jolene and all those crappy halfarsed blues songs he's done since wish they were but couldn't even get close to being.

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 12:44 GMT 

Possibly the most consistent live song of the past few years. Every version I hear is great, and the album version is boss too. Think it's my number one played song on iTunes.

Time Out of Mind is such a great record.

PostPosted: Tue August 16th, 2011, 13:54 GMT 

Have turned into one of my favorites in the last months. Love the new arrangement and love the albumversion.

PostPosted: Thu August 30th, 2012, 06:52 GMT 

Oh my God.

I fear of the sacrifices I'd be willing to make to have been in San Jose California on this date in 1998....
EASILY my new favorite show from 98 (the gold standard year of the NET imo)
and this is the best song of the night!!
This is scary good, no words to describe how hard this rocks....

San Jose CA
May 19 1998
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b93y43

PostPosted: Thu August 30th, 2012, 12:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

marker wrote:
Oh my God.

I fear of the sacrifices I'd be willing to make to have been in San Jose California on this date in 1998....
EASILY my new favorite show from 98 (the gold standard year of the NET imo)
and this is the best song of the night!!
This is scary good, no words to describe how hard this rocks....

San Jose CA
May 19 1998
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b93y43

Thank you!! This does indeed rock!!