'Til I Fell in Love with You 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Not Dark Yet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cold Irons Bound 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Make You Feel My Love 36%  36%  [ 33 ]
Can't Wait 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Highlands 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 92
PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 19:34 GMT 

When TOOM came out, nobody seemed to like MYFML. It was considered the weakest link on the album. It didn't fit with the other songs, and probably should have been left off, which is probably why it was passed to Billy Joel and others. About half the songs on the album were left off or reincarnated into something else [Dreaming of you].

Curious, has time changed anyones mind?

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 19:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Make You Feel My Love is the easy choice for me. Cheesefest that usually gets skipped.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 20:04 GMT 

Maybe only 2 or 3 people can write the songs on Time Out Of Mind (with one passing recently) anything you cut will become someone elses masterpiece. Garth, Adele, BJ, Tricia Yearwood, anybody who was anybody had a megahit with Make You Feel My Love. It's probably the most common song performed on those talent/xfactor shows. I don't think I liked it at first, but it did grow on me, like a Lady Lady Lay throwaway. But, who'd want to throw away LLL?

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 21:09 GMT 

I object to the premise of this poll. It just seems like negativity for negativity's sake.

The pollster ought to have provided the option of 'none of the above' as a choice. That there are not any weak or weaker songs on the album isn't implausible. To say that one need not vote is insufficient as it merely obliterates this view.

Last edited by Mickvet on Sat August 19th, 2017, 21:17 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 21:12 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Make You Feel My Love is the easy choice for me. Cheesefest that usually gets skipped.

If you think this song is merely a 'cheesefest', you have completely missed one whole other level of meaning attached to it. Most people who hear the song probably are unaware of this level, also. That's not the fault of the song or its writer.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 22:19 GMT 

I went with Make You Feel My Love. I actually like the song, but I hate just where it's put in the album sequence; it throws off the flow of the album. I usually skip it. And I know most people are going to pick Dirt Road Blues, but I love that song and where it is placed

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 23:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

TTGTH, easily. Go cry in your malt liquor somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sat August 19th, 2017, 23:20 GMT 

Really? TTGTH? david bowie took a shot at that.

I believe the order of songs is skewed and that Make You *Feel* My Love or Dirt Road should have been the opener, Love sick last and to hell with Highlands!

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:14 GMT 

[quote="Ain't Talkin'"]TTGTH, easily. Go cry in your malt

:shock:

I think I gotta walk this one off.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:17 GMT 

I went with TIFILWY but when I make my own TOOM playlist I either leave off Love Sick or use the Grammy version. Nothing beats that one for me.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:19 GMT 

And I love DRB, MYFML and Highlands.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 00:59 GMT 

MYFML and DRB always seem like misfits to me. The difference is that I like DRB.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 01:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think MYFML has another level, as well, and it's cool in a meta way and it was a hit for a number of people. It doesn't seem to fit the other material, though, so I'll pick that. As I look at the album without it, I think it may have made the cut partly to relieve the doom laden atmosphere. The second half looks like this without it:

Not Dark Yet
Cold Irons Bound
Can't Wait
Highlands

Which is pretty brutal, so now I definitely pick MYFML.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 04:22 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
If you think this song is merely a 'cheesefest', you have completely missed one whole other level of meaning attached to it. Most people who hear the song probably are unaware of this level, also. That's not the fault of the song or its writer.

I don't think it's fair to make people guess what the whole other level of meaning is. It's something everybody needs to know to really understand the song. But if you want to figure it out for yourself, stop reading here!

The hidden meaning is that there is no hidden meaning. The title means exactly what it says--Bob is telling the woman that he wants her to literally feel his love, i.e., give him a hand job, and he'd do just about anything to get her to do it, from giving her a big hug to starving himself. It's a message that anyone can relate to, and it's no wonder that so many singers have put their own spin on it.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 04:38 GMT 

Can NOT understand ANY votes for Highlands.
Actually, I cannot understand any vote for any song other than Dirt Road Blues or Make You Feel My Love.
What's wrong with you people?
Highlands IS Bob!

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 04:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mickvet wrote:
If you think this song is merely a 'cheesefest', you have completely missed one whole other level of meaning attached to it.

If understanding this meaning requires me to have to listen to Make You Feel My Love multiple times in a row, I'd rather not know...

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 04:52 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

I don't think it's fair to make people guess what the whole other level of meaning is. It's something everybody needs to know to really understand the song. But if you want to figure it out for yourself, stop reading here!

The hidden meaning is that there is no hidden meaning. The title means exactly what it says--Bob is telling the woman that he wants her to literally feel his love, i.e., give him a hand job, and he'd do just about anything to get her to do it, from giving her a big hug to starving himself. It's a message that anyone can relate to, and it's no wonder that so many singers have put their own spin on it.

I attempted to put Feel in asterisks but the site disobeyed my order. Levels are interesting. Generally 130 and higher know what the levels are and you can't ever reach the top unless you are meaningless to time.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 09:39 GMT 

When this album came out, I played it to death; and the only song that I really didn't like was Can't Wait. That dull, repetitive riff - coupled with hackneyed lyrics about walking the line - made the song sound lazy and really tedious. Then of course, you realise it's not the song - as evidenced by the versions on Tell Tale Signs, the first of which is maybe better than anything on Time Out Of Mind - but it's the recording Dylan chose. What? There was a better version in the vaults that Dylan chose to omit from the album? With better singing and better lyrics? What? I hear you cry. I know: shocking. So now, when I listen to Can't Wait, I have the other versions playing in my head, which improves the experience immeasurably.

I listened to pretty much all of Dylan's stuff from 1997-2007 this week. It just gets better and better. Nothing really stood out from this album as bad; but I'm gonna go with Dirt Road Blues, because it stands out as forgettable. And that's good enough for now.

Last edited by Somebody Naked on Sun August 20th, 2017, 09:51 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 09:47 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

I didn't use the term 'hidden'. It's there. There's no mystery about it. Can't be too hidden if I can see it.

You are apparently suggesting that this Dylan song should only be interpreted in the most prosaic fashion. Is this to apply to only this song, or should we approach all his other songs in the same way, and, if not, why not? This site is replete with threads discussing in detail the multiple meaning of many of the songs of Bob Dylan. Why make an exception of this one?

Yes, this song works in the way you describe it. However, his use of gross hyperbole as here is not typical of the kinds of love-songs Dylan has written over the years. Lines such as "I could hold you for a million years" and "Go to the ends of the earth for you" are not the kinds of romantic seduction that Dylan usually writes and are frankly cringe-worthy, which is why many dismiss the song on face value.

The song makes more sense to me when I imagine the narrator as Someone who, in logic, has the ability to literally do what he claims. To me, the lines in the middle of the song, "I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue I'd go crawling down the avenue" are key. I accept both meanings as valid, but the second, for me, exonerates the first.

[In reply to thisisjohn, he has a point about MYFML and the flow of TOOM. It is certainly a different kind of lyric and music to that on either side of it. But that might be deliberate on Dylan's part as a type of emphasis. He may also simply have included it because he suspected it had the potential to become a standard popular song. No small thing for a man who had become almost forgotten by 1997].

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 11:18 GMT 

I like everything about TOOM. It's his final masterpiece in my opinion. Once you get into L&T territory things get sketchy. There's only a few keepers on that album for me. I don't care for Modern Times.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 13:32 GMT 

Dirt Road has Winston's crazy beat so it can't be bad. The hit follows a tried and true chord sequence that borders on cheese. Small wonder Billy Joel jumped on it. That said, I don't skip it but it's never convinced me, either, unlike most of the tunes on TOOM.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 15:41 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
mojofilter wrote:

I didn't use the term 'hidden'. It's there. There's no mystery about it. Can't be too hidden if I can see it.

You are apparently suggesting that this Dylan song should only be interpreted in the most prosaic fashion. Is this to apply to only this song, or should we approach all his other songs in the same way, and, if not, why not? This site is replete with threads discussing in detail the multiple meaning of many of the songs of Bob Dylan. Why make an exception of this one?

Well, my whole point is that it's not hidden. But it's so not hidden that many people don't even notice it. Like "The Purloined Letter."

And no, I don't mean that it should only be interpreted in the most prosaic fashion. Quite the opposite. Like any great work of art, it works on any number of levels. But the prosaic level is where it's grounded, where all the other levels take off from. That's how art works. In "Precious Angel," for instance, the light that he wants the angel woman to shine on his is an actual light, a metaphorical light, a spiritual light, a flame of reciprocated desire, and so on. It's all those things. And in "Make You Feel My Love," there's the literal hand job he's asking for (nothing wrong with that). But there's also the hand job as an emotional (not just physical) connection, the hand job as the hand of God working through human agency, the hand job as a helping hand (like the one John Wesley Harding was always there to lend), the tasks he's willing to take on in return for that simple favor, reflecting the way society is built through a network of mutually beneficial exchanges. And so on. You could write a book!

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 16:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anyone that votes for Dirt Road Blues should be banned from this site! What in the world is the matter with people these days?

Make You Feel My Love is the only real choice for this poll but that said, the official release is better than the live performances I've heard which is odd because usually Bob's live NET performances blow the studio release out of the water. I suspect this is one of those things that is part of the mystery of being Bob Dylan...

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 16:30 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

Well, my whole point is that it's not hidden. But it's so not hidden that many people don't even notice it. Like "The Purloined Letter."

And no, I don't mean that it should only be interpreted in the most prosaic fashion. Quite the opposite. Like any great work of art, it works on any number of levels. But the prosaic level is where it's grounded, where all the other levels take off from. That's how art works. In "Precious Angel," for instance, the light that he wants the angel woman to shine on his is an actual light, a metaphorical light, a spiritual light, a flame of reciprocated desire, and so on. It's all those things. And in "Make You Feel My Love," there's the literal hand job he's asking for (nothing wrong with that). But there's also the hand job as an emotional (not just physical) connection, the hand job as the hand of God working through human agency, the hand job as a helping hand (like the one John Wesley Harding was always there to lend), the tasks he's willing to take on in return for that simple favor, reflecting the way society is built through a network of mutually beneficial exchanges. And so on. You could write a book!

We'll just have to agree to agree.

PostPosted: Sun August 20th, 2017, 16:58 GMT 

[quote="Somebody Naked"]When this album came out, I played it to death; So now, when I listen to Can't Wait, I have the other versions playing in my head, which improves the experience[/quote

Same.