Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 23:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Infidels Redux
PostPosted: Sun May 2nd, 2010, 15:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

(Perhaps has been talked about ad nauseam here, but) I was recently re-reading Paul Williams' Performing Artist Book 2 (1974-1986):

The temptation to put together one's own version of Infidels is considerable. However you do it, it's not hard to come up with an album vastly better than what was released. My choice is to put the four epics (ambitious, big-screen numbers) on side one: "Foot of Pride," "Blind Willie McTell," "I and I," and "Jokerman." Side two leads off with "License to Kill" (the alternate mix; I find the drum sound on the released version intolerable) as a transition into a suite of love songs: "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight," "Sweetheart Like You," "Tell Me," and "Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart."

I decided to also add "Lord Protect My Child" (right before "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight"). I have never been a fan of Infidels--I just don't like the sound of it and for whatever reason I always feel a little meaner after hearing it. But this revision has completely changed my tune--for those who haven't tried it and who feel similarly about this record--give it a shot. For those who have tried something of this sort with Infidels--do you have an Infidels reworking you'd recommend--different song choices or order?

Post subject: Re: Infidels Redux
PostPosted: Sun May 2nd, 2010, 16:38 GMT 

I do this as well - most notably on "Infidels" and "Oh Mercy".

This is the configuration of "Infidels" that I have on my iPod and usually play:

Jokerman
Sweetheart Like You
Neighborhood Bully
Tell Me
Man of Peace
Blind Willie McTell

Foot of Pride
License to Kill
Union Sundown
I and I
Lord Protect My Child
Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight

PostPosted: Sun May 2nd, 2010, 16:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

John B. Stetson wrote:
(Perhaps has been talked about ad nauseam here, but) I was recently re-reading Paul Williams' Performing Artist Book 2 (1974-1986):

The temptation to put together one's own version of Infidels is considerable. However you do it, it's not hard to come up with an album vastly better than what was released. My choice is to put the four epics (ambitious, big-screen numbers) on side one: "Foot of Pride," "Blind Willie McTell," "I and I," and "Jokerman." Side two leads off with "License to Kill" (the alternate mix; I find the drum sound on the released version intolerable) as a transition into a suite of love songs: "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight," "Sweetheart Like You," "Tell Me," and "Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart."

I decided to also add "Lord Protect My Child" (right before "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight"). I have never been a fan of Infidels--I just don't like the sound of it and for whatever reason I always feel a little meaner after hearing it. But this revision has completely changed my tune--for those who haven't tried it and who feel similarly about this record--give it a shot. For those who have tried something of this sort with Infidels--do you have an Infidels reworking you'd recommend--different song choices or order?

What a good way to put it..... that is just what I feel like..... but then you tell yourself..... 'but it has some great songs on there'..... I love your re-alignment..... and yes, I would add "Lord Protect My Child" ..... but closer to the end, I think.... If I really was given the choice of regular releases or the Bootleg Series..... I think I would pick the latter..... I guess coming to the party late has that advantage..... so many of the Bootleg Series were already out.... Of all the question I have ever heard were asked of Dylan.... Larry Sloman's ... "but where is Blind Willie McTell :shock: " is the one that I am sure would have been coming out of my mouth too....

PostPosted: Sun May 2nd, 2010, 17:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would've put both Blind Willie McTells on there, as bookends. Each is too good to choose. BS 1-3 Willy as track 1, electric Willie as the last track. He did it with Forver Young, why not?

PostPosted: Sun May 2nd, 2010, 22:34 GMT 

Outfidels Intakes-Infidel Sessions (April 11 to May 8-1983) is a very fine Infidels Redux.

More info: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/monicasdude/outfin.htm
Also to be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36053

Tracklist:

Sweetheart Like You
Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart
Lord Protect My Child
Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground
Foot Of Pride, Tell Me
I And I
Union Sundown
Julius And Ethel
Jokerman
License To Kill
Man Of Peace
Neighborhood Bully
Blind Willie McTell
This Was My Love
This Was My Love
Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground
Dark Groove
Don't Fly Unless It's Safe
Clean Cut Kid
Death Is Not The End
Sweetheart Like You
Union Sundown
Sweetheart Like You rehearsals

Very nice sound too!

PostPosted: Mon May 3rd, 2010, 01:17 GMT 

Well, I don't know if I'm following the rules, here, but, I actually listen on my iPod this way:

Lenny Bruce
I and I
Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight
Sweetheart Like You
Blind Willie McTell

And then I feel like jumping off a bridge.

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 11:15 GMT 

I really can't understand how bob left so many amzing songs off this album

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 13:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

aka How To Polish A Turd

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 14:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

I must say I'm with you there, Benny. I was looking for some diversion as I was painting my father's office last summer, so I put on Infidels and a minute or two later I was spilling paint. He hasn't forgiven me yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 14:56 GMT 

This is how I like an Infidels tracklisting to go (I like the short, concise 8-tracks idea, but not necessarily the tracks he chose):

Side A:
Jokerman
Sweetheart Like You
License To Kill
Blind Willie McTell

Side B:
Union Sundown
Someone's Got Ahold Of My Heart
Lord Protect My Child

Contrary to conventional ER opinion, I DO NOT rate any of the outtakes -- nor the Letterman performances -- as better than the released ones, so I'm fine with the masters as they are. I really enjoy the spacey, slick, 80s sound of this record -- and I am not being sarcastic when I say that. Sly & Robbie really help it out. But you gotta have "Blind Willie" on there, as it's easily his 1st or 2nd best song of the entire decade (along with the first 'Caribbean Wind' and maybe 'Every Grain of Sand').

I think "Don't Fall Apart on me Tonight" is the perfect closer. It has a resigned, slightly paranoid, entering-middle age kind of late-night-drinking-a-cocktail-while-watching-Hill-Street-Blues-on-network-TV kind of vibe that seems to seal this strange album perfectly. (I have never understood the minor fuss over "I & I", which I consider completely worthless, based on the fact that it has no tune to speak of.)

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 15:23 GMT 

The good thing about the fact that he left 'Blind Willie McTell' off of Infidels is that now I don't have to get to that horrible record to hear such a superb track.

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 15:33 GMT 

Well, Infidels is the favorite whipping-boy of mean people on this forum, but I don't really get it. I would say about 4 of the 8 tracks (50% of the LP) is first-rate Dylan, 2 of the tracks are average (another 25%), and 2 of the 8 are utter crap (25%). So, right there that makes it way better than the three right-wing stinkers that precede it and the three crap-fests that come after it...

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 17:25 GMT 

Solo Teem wrote:
I must say I'm with you there, Benny. I was looking for some diversion as I was painting my father's office last summer, so I put on Infidels and a minute or two later I was spilling paint. He hasn't forgiven me yet.

Are you saying that youdon't like 'Jokerman'? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 17th, 2010, 20:04 GMT 

You guys make me sick! You re ruining the artistic integrity and social importance of the album! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed May 19th, 2010, 18:14 GMT 

Well, some of the songs on this album aren't that well-developed musically and/or lyrically, but they still tell an interesting story: There is a strange woman in Bob's bed, in another life she owned the world, now she's in a dump, and she falls apart on him at night.

PostPosted: Wed May 19th, 2010, 18:56 GMT 

Knowing Bob's body of work, I'd say the album was most likely over developed.

Didn't someone here say that Dylan thought Blind Willy Mctell was unfinished?

PostPosted: Wed May 19th, 2010, 20:56 GMT 

I don't know if I trust Bob's sincerity with that remark.

PostPosted: Sun October 8th, 2017, 22:31 GMT 

I was driving home the other day from a grocery run when the radio beeped. That means that it's found some Bob. My wife hits select and Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight rolls out. She always asks me what album the Bob songs are from. I say Infidels and after a long day, week, month...I find myself feeling Infidels like I haven't in years or maybe ever. That sound, while not his best, for once had me. I was lost in it if just for those few minutes or maybe this weekend as I worked up my own Infidels on the computer.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 13:21 GMT 

Check out "Albums That Never Were":
http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.gr/2013/06/

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 14:24 GMT 

It must take a certain kind of genius to end up with a record where arguably only two of the tracks, namely License to Kill and I and I merit being on the record as they are. I had the Bootleg Series 1-3 and the Genuine Bootleg Series before Infidels itself. To me it's not just leaving Blind Willie, Foot of Pride and Someone's...... off in favour of Man of Peace, Union Sundown and Neighbourhood Bully. It's also the versions of Jokerman and Sweetheart Like You. Why did he go for that hard edged declamatory style? The versions on the GBS seem far superior. I think it's partly the tone of voice which causes people to shudder, what a shame when you think of what might have been.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 

tyke wrote:
It must take a certain kind of genius to end up with a record where arguably only two of the tracks, namely License to Kill and I and I merit being on the record as they are. I had the Bootleg Series 1-3 and the Genuine Bootleg Series before Infidels itself. To me it's not just leaving Blind Willie, Foot of Pride and Someone's...... off in favour of Man of Peace, Union Sundown and Neighbourhood Bully. It's also the versions of Jokerman and Sweetheart Like You. Why did he go for that hard edged declamatory style? The versions on the GBS seem far superior. I think it's partly the tone of voice which causes people to shudder, what a shame when you think of what might have been.

Different strokes for different folks...I love that narky style of his on the album and I think Man of Peace, Neighbourhood Bully and Union Sundown are good songs.

PostPosted: Mon October 9th, 2017, 22:40 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
tyke wrote:

Different strokes for different folks...I love that narky style of his on the album and I think Man of Peace, Neighbourhood Bully and Union Sundown are good songs.

And I left those three off. But I do need to hear these alternate takes now.

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 01:13 GMT 

Just download the 'Faithful' disc from the A Thousand Highways blog. Much better than the released album and it includes other outtakes in high quality audio. I'd highly recommend it.