Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 26th, 2018, 07:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Urban Myths: Bob Dylan
PostPosted: Fri January 13th, 2017, 12:06 GMT 

This is on sky arts in the UK. Its made by the same people who have been in media recently for casting a white guy in the part of the Michael Jackson in a separate part in their series

Urban Myths: Bob Dylan
Thursday 19 January 22.00

Sky Arts presents a season of original comedies, featuring some of the UK’s finest acting, writing and directing talents, including Iwan Rheon, Rupert Grint, Ben Chaplin and Aidan Gillen.

Fact, fiction and poetic licence intertwine as urban myths surrounding some of recent history’s most famous – and infamous – figures are brought to life. The season kicks off with a curious story involving two greats of the music business.

When Dave Stewart of Eurythmics told his good friend Bob Dylan that the next time he was in London he should drop by his recording studio in Crouch End, he didn’t realise the bizarre chain of events he was setting in motion.

This urban myth joins the future Nobel Prize winner sometime later in the Big Smoke. Deciding to take Dave up on his offer, the folk hero (played here by Eddie Marsan) hops in a cab, gets out at the given address, knocks on the door and asks the lady who answers (Katherine Parkinson) for Dave. She tells him that Dave is currently out, but insists that he come in and have a cup of tea while he waits for him to return. Except Bob, unknowingly, has been dropped off at the wrong address and the lady’s husband just so happens to be called Dave. Twenty minutes later, Dave the plumber (Paul Ritter) – not Dave the rock star – returns home. Just another quiet night in, he thinks to himself, until his wife tells him that Bob Dylan is waiting for him in the living room.

PostPosted: Fri January 13th, 2017, 15:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Kudos to Sky Arts for doing their research, that is a supposedly true story. When I saw the first post in this thread I thought that it'd be some ridiculous thing written by someone who had only once heard The Times They Are A Changing once. But this sounds like it might be quite well done. I still won't watch it though.

PostPosted: Fri January 13th, 2017, 23:40 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Kudos to Sky Arts for doing their research, that is a supposedly true story. When I saw the first post in this thread I thought that it'd be some ridiculous thing written by someone who had only once heard The Times They Are A Changing once. But this sounds like it might be quite well done. I still won't watch it though.

Why won't you watch it?maybe bob doesn't always have to a serious,if it's done right it could worth a watch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 20:33 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
This is on sky arts in the UK. Its made by the same people who have been in media recently for casting a white guy in the part of the Michael Jackson in a separate part in their series

Urban Myths: Bob Dylan
Thursday 19 January 22.00

Sky Arts presents a season of original comedies, featuring some of the UK’s finest acting, writing and directing talents, including Iwan Rheon, Rupert Grint, Ben Chaplin and Aidan Gillen.

Fact, fiction and poetic licence intertwine as urban myths surrounding some of recent history’s most famous – and infamous – figures are brought to life. The season kicks off with a curious story involving two greats of the music business.

When Dave Stewart of Eurythmics told his good friend Bob Dylan that the next time he was in London he should drop by his recording studio in Crouch End, he didn’t realise the bizarre chain of events he was setting in motion.

This urban myth joins the future Nobel Prize winner sometime later in the Big Smoke. Deciding to take Dave up on his offer, the folk hero (played here by Eddie Marsan) hops in a cab, gets out at the given address, knocks on the door and asks the lady who answers (Katherine Parkinson) for Dave. She tells him that Dave is currently out, but insists that he come in and have a cup of tea while he waits for him to return. Except Bob, unknowingly, has been dropped off at the wrong address and the lady’s husband just so happens to be called Dave. Twenty minutes later, Dave the plumber (Paul Ritter) – not Dave the rock star – returns home. Just another quiet night in, he thinks to himself, until his wife tells him that Bob Dylan is waiting for him in the living room.

Did Dave the plumber know who Bob was; more importantly is it known if our hero actually likes tea?. I've never heard "One more Cup of Tea"... Doesn't really sound right, does it??

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 21:08 GMT 

Of course Bob likes tea (as all people of good taste do), he even wrote a verse in honour of Dave's wife's hospitality: -

Ooh, baby, thank you for my tea!
Baby, thank you for my tea!
It’s so sweet of you to be so nice to me

Off topic, but utter cowardice of Sky to drop the Jacko episode because one of his kids had a Twitter-fit.

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 21:29 GMT 

Tea in the context above might mean scones and a glass of milk in the late afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 13:53 GMT 

well bob did sing Let it be Tea

I bless the day I found you
I want to stay around you
and so I beg you
let it be TEA :)

PostPosted: Mon January 16th, 2017, 07:08 GMT 

Is there any chance to see this if you are not from the UK ?

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

Tomorrow evening, 19th Jan. :
http://95kqds.com/news/articles/2017/ja ... ers-stars/
Tomorrows episode is about bob Dylan's visit to his friend Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics. Another Geordie :)
Wrong House!

PostPosted: Thu January 19th, 2017, 20:36 GMT 
Senior Moderator

This is on TV later tonight .A bit was played on the BBC Radio 4 arts review Front row. Eddie Marsan should be brilliant at bringing a wonderful weirdness to Dylan. From the brief excerpt I heard it sounded pretty good/funny.

PostPosted: Thu January 19th, 2017, 21:30 GMT 

Thanks for the heads up, it's on Sky Arts Channel (here In the UK) at 10-00pm.

I have set the record button to go.

PostPosted: Fri January 20th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

Marsan got the accent all wrong but did look quite good. Can't say I found it funny but it was well intended and had a certain charm if I'm being charitable. Liked the nod to the musicares speech.

PostPosted: Fri January 20th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 

I enjoyed it, some believable esoteric wordplay from Bob and well worth a watch if you can.

PostPosted: Fri January 20th, 2017, 19:11 GMT 

I quite enjoyed it. The script had some good lines (but also some groaners), the choice of music was pleasingly unpredictable (although they inevitably reached for LARS at the end) and the performances were pretty decent. Marsan had the look and attitude down but didn't quite pull off the voice and for some reason they went with a mid-to-late Eighties Bob even though it was set in 1993 (pretty sure he wasn't sporting a dangly earring at that juncture).

PostPosted: Fri January 20th, 2017, 23:14 GMT 

Disappointed they didn't reenact the urban myth about Bob Dylan and the gerbil.

PostPosted: Sat January 21st, 2017, 17:28 GMT 

I thought it was great fun and very touching. Eddie Marsan was terrific, as was the script.

PostPosted: Sat January 21st, 2017, 23:04 GMT 

I thought it was very charming.

What is the status of the 'Dave' story? Where does it appear? Was it likely?

PostPosted: Sat January 21st, 2017, 23:30 GMT 

yopietro wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is the gerbil story?

PostPosted: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 05:06 GMT 

city flowers wrote:
yopietro wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is the gerbil story?

I think yopietro was getting Bob confused with Richard Gere, although who knows how many celebs that gerbil managed to get around pleasuring, probably made a good living from it.

PostPosted: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 18:18 GMT 

The gerbil's name was Henri, and yes he did get around. It was Bob who in fact recommended Henri to Richard Gere. At the top of his fame in the late 80's, Henri lived in a bungalow in Bruce Willis' backyard. But the good life agreed with him a bit too much, and his overeating plumped him up to the point where he was no longer deemed a "luxury experience."

PostPosted: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 19:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

^ why is there no "best post ever" thread? :lol:

If anyone knows where this can be watched please post a link, I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 19:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Dylan show, not the adventures of Henri :?

PostPosted: Mon January 23rd, 2017, 13:59 GMT 

Here you are, Smoke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CmgbFZlQng
I've just watched it - loved the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon January 23rd, 2017, 15:54 GMT 

Senac wrote:
Here you are, Smoke:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon January 23rd, 2017, 20:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

Senac wrote:
Here you are, Smoke:

I haven't laughed as much in months. Thanks for posting. I knew there was a reason to stick around hERe a bit longer.