Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue March 28th, 2017, 23:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2017, 12:58 GMT 

Been listening to this album today. Decided to add the outtakes from BS Vol 1 - 3.

I forget how much of a mammoth album it is. How it builds on and grows from the previous album. North Country Blues is devastating as it Hollis Brown and Hattie Carroll and that's not to leave out the title track or the love songs.. But I added Moonshiner, Only A Hobo, Seven Curses and Eternal Circle. What an album of songs.

https://open.spotify.com/user/trevgibb/playlist/5yEkDks5D4Ta3LZ8Ezjg4N

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 

I miss Lay Down You Weary Tune! Maybe fits really well just before Restless Farewell. :D

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2017, 13:43 GMT 

I've added that now as well.

It makes sense why those songs were left off though I guess. Times has a cohesive and bleakness in some of the tracks that the outtakes don't have, also there are distinct differences in the recording quality between the outtakes and the songs on the record for some reason and even that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2017, 18:38 GMT 

Lay Down You Weary Tune it's a truly masterpiece, IMO. I can't understand why he left this one out.

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2017, 19:20 GMT 

It's definitely a signpost of what was to come: Chimes of Freedom, Tambourine Man etc.

The melody is beautiful, can't recall right now where it originated as I'm sure it's a Scottish folk song

PostPosted: Wed January 18th, 2017, 20:09 GMT 

Yes, you are right. Look at the liner notes about Lay Down Your Weary Tune in Biograph. "I had heard a Scottish ballad on an old 78 record that I was trying to really capture the feeling of, that was haunting me. There were no lyrics or anything, it was just a melody...". I don't know what song is, and I don't remember if anyone has named this song ever. But I'm convinced that someone here knows which song is. :D

PostPosted: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 17:29 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Yes, you are right. Look at the liner notes about Lay Down Your Weary Tune in Biograph. "I had heard a Scottish ballad on an old 78 record that I was trying to really capture the feeling of, that was haunting me. There were no lyrics or anything, it was just a melody...". I don't know what song is, and I don't remember if anyone has named this song ever. But I'm convinced that someone here knows which song is. :D

I think the favourite is 'Waly Waly' as sung by Jeannie Robertson.

Of course a lot of these melodies are related and there is some discussion in Michael Gray's book of 'I heard the voice of Jesus say'.

I thought the story was that Lay Down Your weary Tune was intended to be the closer on Times until Bob was outed by the Newsweek article, decided to do a last bit of finger pointing, wrote Restless Farewell and recorded it inside a week. I think both of them are really fine songs and the version of Restless Farewell recorded for the Canadian film Quest in Feb 1964 is outstanding.

PostPosted: Sat January 28th, 2017, 21:00 GMT 

Yes, Lay Down You Weary Tune has a lot of smell of Oh Waly Waly... but Waly Waly is a song with lyrics. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun January 29th, 2017, 11:45 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Yes, Lay Down You Weary Tune has a lot of smell of Oh Waly Waly... but Waly Waly is a song with lyrics. :wink:

Yes and wasn't Bob in a circus in New Mexico in 1954? A bit of mystery is better than the truth sometimes. 'I picked a record off Joanie's shelves and copped the tune off it.' Somehow I don't think so. It's a great piece, debt to Blake, bears comparison to Every grain of sand in concept and feel.

PostPosted: Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:21 GMT 

I completely agree with you. (I said "I'm convinced that someone here knows which song is" because the day I wrote that, there was another active thread here discussing about the hypothetical use of internet forums by Bob Dylan himself, and I made this bad joke here).

The real thing is that I don't know if this instrumental ballad really exists, but I think that you are right about the story Bob explained on Biograph liner notes. Heylin said something similar too. "Well, all ballads have lyrics, but precious few are short enough to fit on a ten-inch 78-rpm record".

The most fascinating thing for me is Bob's ability to transform an ancient melody, that in my case I would never have paid attention for more than a few minutes if not for Bob (certainly I never had come to it without Bob), in a contemporary masterpiece. Just like in so many other cases, Hard Rain/Lord Rendall, for example.

I remember when I heard for the vey first time Simon and Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" (I believed then that it was a song written by them!), and then I thought to myself "oh this guys have stolen Bob's melody from Girl From The North Country". I have to thank Bob, not only for his music, I have to thank Bob also for so many other things that I have learned and discovered, and I keep learning and discovering new things constantly.