Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 10:19 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 02:57 GMT 

Talking of Nick Cave, I got a copy of The Birthday Party Live (or some such) recently... Scared the ever loving cr*p outta me!

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 03:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
--Paul Buchanan (frontman, the Blue Nile)
--Mike Scott (The Waterboys)
--Hazel Dickens (Hazel & Alice, solo recordings)
--SOME Lucinda Williams
--SOME Willie Nile
--deerfrance
--Harlan Howard
--Hank Snow
--Don Gibson
--Felice & Bourdeaux Bryant
--Roy Orbison
--Iggy Pop
--John Cale
--SOME Rickie Lee Jones...depends upon which Rickie Lee shows up for any given release or performance. When this Rickie Lee shows up, it's chillbumps city:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJata7Q-Ax4

--Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart
--Danny O'Keefe

want me to go on? There's TONS of sooper-fine writers/seers, beyond the Usual Usuals REVERED HALLOWED NAMES the critical creeps are always creaking about, milking the honeypot one mo' time.

--Al Green (check out the 'Belle' album)
--Willie Dixon
--Too lazy to look up his name right now, fronts/writes for a band outta New Mexico called 'The Ant Farmers'
--Smokey Robinson
--Christine McVie
--SOME Chrissie Hynde
--the kid what wrote this song, done lately by Annie but first a hit fer his kickass youth combo Ash':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJeQDkz4JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZGcNx8nV8U

Only ever released one KILLER cd and a second stinko cd, then vacated to Cape Cod to brood about it all in anonymous town, but his first cd was so dang good, he's on the top of my shelf, Grayson Hugh.

BONAFIDE soul artist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KQnM5ogtw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBHkByb ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYm8dkSyrgw

Okay, I'm weary of this. Have said similar a zillion times before. It's a big planet, lotsa wide-open souls, tons of bonafides out there. Get nosy, thirsty and hungry why doncha?. Go use yer dang ears and curiosity. Seek beyond the middle of the hepcat dials. Don't trust anyone over 13.

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 14:10 GMT 

Townes Van Zandt is my favourite Songwriter beneath Bob
Dylan.

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 15:46 GMT 

I'd also like to jump on the bandwagon and nominate Townes Van Zandt and specifically his "Live at the Old Quarter" album. It's just Townes and an acoustic guitar. Powerful stuff and his definitive work. His studio albums are okay but, in my opinion, tend to sometimes be over-produced with wonky arrangements and with Townes' excellent guitar playing buried in the mix.

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 21:35 GMT 

Thanks to everyone who recommended Townes Van Zandt. I've been listening to some of his music this week and the man writes great songs. Melancholy, touching, painful, beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 22:14 GMT 

Check out Sophie Zelmani. Swedish singer/songwriter who made herself famous for being very private and almost whispering her lyrics. Her album "Memory Loves You" is my favourite, but also "Sing and dance" is really good.

Broken Sunny Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9uj5r-Itg

Oh Dear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqVIy2n6mGM

Composing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2zKnG-M0bE

PostPosted: Wed February 24th, 2010, 00:02 GMT 

I find Tom Waits and Joni Mitchell to be maybe even more impressive than Leonard Cohen -- though I love his work as well.

A more recent artist that I'm growing more and more fond of is Sam Beam / Iron & Wine. Interesting songwriter with a lovely voice.

PostPosted: Wed February 24th, 2010, 23:15 GMT 

JRJ wrote:
I'd also like to jump on the bandwagon and nominate Townes Van Zandt and specifically his "Live at the Old Quarter" album. It's just Townes and an acoustic guitar. Powerful stuff and his definitive work. His studio albums are okay but, in my opinion, tend to sometimes be over-produced with wonky arrangements and with Townes' excellent guitar playing buried in the mix.

Over-produced? I really don't see this problem.
Do you know the "Rain On A Conga Drum"-Live record? It is a gig from the 90s in Germany. There you can listen to the old Townes Van Zandt. I like it more than the "Live At The Old Quarter"-LP.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 00:18 GMT 

N'oubliez pas Charles Aznavour!

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 02:53 GMT 

Obsession wrote:
JRJ wrote:

Over-produced? I really don't see this problem.
Do you know the "Rain On A Conga Drum"-Live record? It is a gig from the 90s in Germany. There you can listen to the old Townes Van Zandt. I like it more than the "Live At The Old Quarter"-LP.

This is a great thread and I wish I had more time to respond to more of it right now, but I just wanted to echo some of the sentiment above. The conventional wisdom is that Townes' albums were overproduced, and so for years I didn't venture beyond "Live At The Old Quarter." Big mistake. Some of his most beautiful songs weren't performed those few nights recorded in Houston. Sure, "Our Mother The Mountain" is an exceptionally annoying sounding album, but listen to "Townes Van Zandt" or "Delta Momma Blues." I've never heard a performance more beautiful than "None But The Rain", the last track on the former album. I prefer the album take of "Tower Song" to the great live one. Etc.

I also love the live 1990's stuff I've heard.

Anyway, I don't mean to bicker with other Townes fans -- God bless them all.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 04:26 GMT 

Randy Newman
Robbie Robertson
Johnny Cash
Bruce Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 05:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

TOM WAITS

Pure genius.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 09:14 GMT 

Obsession wrote:

This is a great thread and I wish I had more time to respond to more of it right now, but I just wanted to echo some of the sentiment above. The conventional wisdom is that Townes' albums were overproduced, and so for years I didn't venture beyond "Live At The Old Quarter." Big mistake. Some of his most beautiful songs weren't performed those few nights recorded in Houston. Sure, "Our Mother The Mountain" is an exceptionally annoying sounding album, but listen to "Townes Van Zandt" or "Delta Momma Blues." I've never heard a performance more beautiful than "None But The Rain", the last track on the former album. I prefer the album take of "Tower Song" to the great live one. Etc.

I also love the live 1990's stuff I've heard.

Anyway, I don't mean to bicker with other Townes fans -- God bless them all.

The selftitled Townes van Zandt album is one of the best albums ever in my opinion. Townes himself was also disappointed with the overproduced sound on his first album (For The Sake Of The Song) which is the reason why he decided to rerecord most tunes for following albums. (Tecumseh Valley is on Our Mother the Mountain, Sad Cinderella is on The Late Great Townes and For The Sake of The Song, Waitin Around To Die, I'll Be Here In The Morning and Daydreams of Maria are on the selftitled album).

God, I love this artist. I'd be inclined to say I love him nearly as much as Dylan. His best studio albums in my opinion are Townes van Zandt, The Late Great Townes van Zandt and Flyin' Shoes.

And Rear View Mirror and Roadsongs are great live documents. He covers Dylan's 'Man Gave Names To All The Animals' and 'Little Willie The Gambler' on the latter album.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 10:30 GMT 

Joanna Newsom - Good Intentions Paving Company

Twenty miles left to the show
Hello, my old country, hello
Stars are just beginning to appear
And I have never in my life before been here

And it's my heart, not me, who cannot drive
At which conclusion you arrived
Watching me sit here bolt upright and cry
For no good reason at the Eastering sky

And the tilt of this strange nation
And the will to remain for the duration
Waving the flag
Feeling it drag

Like a bump on a bump on a log, baby
Like I'm in a fist fight with a fog, baby
Step-ball-change and a pirouette
And I regret, I regret

How I said to you, "honey, just open your heart"
When I've got trouble even opening a honey jar
And that right there is where we are...

And I been 'fessing double fast
Addressing questions nobody asked
I'll get this joy off of my chest at last
And I will love you 'til the noise has long since passed

And I did not mean to shout, just drive
Just get us out, dead or alive
A road too long to mention, lord, it's something to see!
Laid down by the good intentions paving company

All the way to the thing we've been playing at, darlin'
I can see that you're wearing your staying hat, darlin'
For the time being all is well
Won't you love me a spell?

This is blindness beyond all conceiving
Well, behind us the road is leaving, yeah, leaving
And falling back
Like a rope gone slack

Well, I saw straight away that the lay was steep
But I fell for you, honey, as easy as falling asleep
And that right there is the course I keep...

And no amount of talking
Is going to soften the fall
But, like after the rain, step out
Of the overhang, that's all

It had a nice a ring to it
When the ol' opry house rang
So with a solemn auld lang
Signed, sealed, delivered, I sang

And there is hesitation
And it always remains
Concerning you, me,
And the rest of the gang

And in our quiet hour
I feel I see everything
And am in love with the hook
Upon which everyone hangs

And I know you meant to show the extent
To which you gave a goddang
You ranged real hot and real cold but I'm sold
I am home on that range

And I do hate to fold
Right here at the top of my game
When I've been trying with my whole heart and soul
To stay right here in the right lane

But it can make you feel over and old
Lord, you know it's a shame
When I only want for you to pull over and hold me
'Til I can't remember my own name

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 13:48 GMT 

Jacques Brel

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 14:04 GMT 

Hi I'm new to this forum.

I've never heard anyone that has affected me the way Bob has. I've tried to give Cohen a chance, but his words just don't get through for some reason. I don't doubt that as a wordsmith he's Bob's equal, maybe even superior; I can appreciate that his words sound beautiful and certainly have a lot of poetic merit, but they just don't touch me, you know what I mean?

I suppose Van Morrison is the one who's come close in terms of emotional impact, but he does it in a different way. As with Bob, I've found his output from the 80s onwards to be generally more affecting, as both of them have become more and more human (I suppose that's a natural thing to do as you get older). Of course Van retains a lot of the overt spiritualism and mysticism in his lyrics whereas Bob has concentrated more and more on expressing one guy's feelings and thoughts as he tries to make sense of his life and loves, and his place in the world. 3 songs from Magic Time by Van, one of his most recent albums, just get me everytime: Stranded, Celtic New Year and Magic Time... magical, magical music. Anyone else love these tunes?

Aye, Bruce was always the guy I'd go to in tough times... my Go To Man! Everyone knows about the despair and hope that flood his songs, and there's just something believable about the way he expresses it that I haven't found in too many other places.

Still, Bob is in a league of his own as far I am concerned...

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 14:12 GMT 

knickerless wrote:
I have to say I have been dealing with your very problem for longer than I care to mention... So this warrants a rare post!

Though I am a huge Young and Van fan, for me, although these two come near there's still a (hell of a) gap.

I love Townes and Elliot Smith and that deserves a line of its own.
(see ownline reference above)
If your looking for something a little more recent and random, for the last 6 or 7 years or so I have been a strong advocate of a British songwriter called Stephen Fretwell - His first album 'magpie' is magnificent. Although I may get jumped on for saying so I thought all three of Ryan Adams's albums from 2005 were wonderful... and all in different ways which is rare to find these days. Last of all I will throw in Richard Hawley... a beautiful last minute discovery for the world to enjoy.

Hope this helps, they are all still mainstream but maybe you missed one.

Aye, Richard Hawley really is a treasure. He's doing something that nobody really is at the minute, and he's right on the money. Stephen Fretwell seems to be a promising one as well. From Manchester I believe, I've only heard odd bits and pieces but I was blown away by his song "Emily" from about 4 years ago, I think. Do you know it?
Going down the British path, it would be wrong not to mention our all time greatest lyricist, a certain Stephen Patrick Morrissey of The Smiths, arguably the greatest British band!
"spending warm summer days indoors,
writing frightening verse
to a buck-toothed girl from Luxembourg"
It doesn't get any better than that!

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 14:24 GMT 

I've never heard of this Townes Van Zandt chap.... seems to be a big deal, judging by how much people on here like him. I'll definitely give him a listen.

I agree about Paul Simon and Elvis Costello too. Not in the same class as Bob, but truly great nonetheless... Just recently rediscovered Painted From Memory, that Costello did with Burt Bacharch - anyone know this? About 10 years ago I dismissed it as rubbish but I'm so glad I gave it a second chance, its tremendous.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 14:29 GMT 

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
TOM WAITS

Pure genius.

Amen, brother, and I, too echo the sentiment that this is a great thread.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 20:07 GMT 

manbearpig.

PostPosted: Thu February 25th, 2010, 20:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Chuck Berry _ the first poet of rock'n'roll

PostPosted: Sat February 27th, 2010, 01:57 GMT 

I too try to find similar stuff but never seem to find it.
I'll second:
Warren Zevon
Springsteen
Randy newman
Tom waits

along with Dylan and leonard cohen, chances are im listening to one of the above at any given time

PostPosted: Sat February 27th, 2010, 02:00 GMT 

Richie Mac wrote:
Hi I'm new to this forum.

I've never heard anyone that has affected me the way Bob has. I've tried to give Cohen a chance, but his words just don't get through for some reason. I don't doubt that as a wordsmith he's Bob's equal, maybe even superior; I can appreciate that his words sound beautiful and certainly have a lot of poetic merit, but they just don't touch me, you know what I mean?

I suppose Van Morrison is the one who's come close in terms of emotional impact, but he does it in a different way. As with Bob, I've found his output from the 80s onwards to be generally more affecting, as both of them have become more and more human (I suppose that's a natural thing to do as you get older). Of course Van retains a lot of the overt spiritualism and mysticism in his lyrics whereas Bob has concentrated more and more on expressing one guy's feelings and thoughts as he tries to make sense of his life and loves, and his place in the world. 3 songs from Magic Time by Van, one of his most recent albums, just get me everytime: Stranded, Celtic New Year and Magic Time... magical, magical music. Anyone else love these tunes?

Aye, Bruce was always the guy I'd go to in tough times... my Go To Man! Everyone knows about the despair and hope that flood his songs, and there's just something believable about the way he expresses it that I haven't found in too many other places.

Still, Bob is in a league of his own as far I am concerned...

I basically agree with your thoughts on Cohen. He's okay enough on paper but in terms of performance (vocal dynamics and inflections) and engaging emotions, I prefer the other guys I mentioned in an earlier post (Dylan, Van Zandt, Kristofferson, sometimes Waits).

PostPosted: Sat February 27th, 2010, 02:12 GMT 

The_Debutante_Collector wrote:
Joanna Newsom - Good Intentions Paving Company

Twenty miles left to the show
Hello, my old country, hello
Stars are just beginning to appear
And I have never in my life before been here

And it's my heart, not me, who cannot drive
At which conclusion you arrived
Watching me sit here bolt upright and cry
For no good reason at the Eastering sky

And the tilt of this strange nation
And the will to remain for the duration
Waving the flag
Feeling it drag

Like a bump on a bump on a log, baby
Like I'm in a fist fight with a fog, baby
Step-ball-change and a pirouette
And I regret, I regret

How I said to you, "honey, just open your heart"
When I've got trouble even opening a honey jar
And that right there is where we are...

And I been 'fessing double fast
Addressing questions nobody asked
I'll get this joy off of my chest at last
And I will love you 'til the noise has long since passed

And I did not mean to shout, just drive
Just get us out, dead or alive
A road too long to mention, lord, it's something to see!
Laid down by the good intentions paving company

All the way to the thing we've been playing at, darlin'
I can see that you're wearing your staying hat, darlin'
For the time being all is well
Won't you love me a spell?

This is blindness beyond all conceiving
Well, behind us the road is leaving, yeah, leaving
And falling back
Like a rope gone slack

Well, I saw straight away that the lay was steep
But I fell for you, honey, as easy as falling asleep
And that right there is the course I keep...

And no amount of talking
Is going to soften the fall
But, like after the rain, step out
Of the overhang, that's all

It had a nice a ring to it
When the ol' opry house rang
So with a solemn auld lang
Signed, sealed, delivered, I sang

And there is hesitation
And it always remains
Concerning you, me,
And the rest of the gang

And in our quiet hour
I feel I see everything
And am in love with the hook
Upon which everyone hangs

And I know you meant to show the extent
To which you gave a goddang
You ranged real hot and real cold but I'm sold
I am home on that range

And I do hate to fold
Right here at the top of my game
When I've been trying with my whole heart and soul
To stay right here in the right lane

But it can make you feel over and old
Lord, you know it's a shame
When I only want for you to pull over and hold me
'Til I can't remember my own name

I've just listened over and over and over to the new album and she is flat out fantastic - masterpiece!