Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed April 23rd, 2014, 12:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 02:55 GMT 

This one is always uplifting to The MEZ! Great on the morning commute , know what I mean. Last played in 2006. Anyone have any comments on this track or would like to state a great date, rendition, or better yet post a rendition for track talk!! Thanks as always MEZ

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 04:46 GMT 

'Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.'
Henry David Thoreau

Tis true Mez, a great song to start a great day. Wonderful music & loving lyrics that have an appreciative eye for Nature that always reminds me of Thoreau's love of the present moment while also painting a wistful nostalgic look towards the past. No matter how happy the songs of New Morning are, however, each has that slight tinge of sadness, that deeply buried wisdom that 'all things must pass'.

The night passed away so quickly
It always does when you're with me.

I've only heard one live version that actually surpasses the album. Building upon the lackluster run he gave the song in 2005, he utilizes his new instrument to create this newly-minted gorgeous creation. Opening the song with a symphonic grandiosity that makes one feel like they're sitting in the World Series in Heaven, this version has such a positively joyous effect on me that i easily prefer it to the original...

Columbus OH
August 13 2006
http://www.sendspace.com/file/750fqj

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 05:01 GMT 

Sorry, this one is pretty much a throwaway to me. No offense, as I'm sure there are songs of his I like that others don't enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 08:53 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I'm a great fan of New Morning. To me it evokes the mood of a bright, fresh morning, full of joy and possibilities about which Dylan manages to sound both excited AND content. It was a thrill to hear it live in London a few years ago.

I don't share much here I'm afraid, but here's a brief memory of my early Dylaning. When I first discovered Bob Dylan the only way to listen to him was on vinyl. Not being paid to go school and having limited access to other sources of funds I was slow (but sure) to get his records. A friend told me her parents had some Dylan records so I went round and they let me spend the entire afternoon playing and replaying the New Morning album, the only album they had which I hadn't heard before. I wanted it to 'soak into my brain' so I could remember it until I could afford a copy.

Perhaps, that's why I have a soft spot for Self Portrait - I spent so long looking at the cover art, reading the track listing and speculating on what it would sound like, too shy to ask them in to play me a bit in the record shop....oh, my young self.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 11:00 GMT 

I've tried to learn to like this whole album, but the only songs I can stand are first and last.
So this one is waiting to be approved. One thing is that Dylan must have flu or something
like that when recording. Listening the record makes me feel suffocating.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 11:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

My favorite performance is November 27, 2005 in Dublin, Ireland. The album version does little for me but when it has appeared in the NET setlists, he's done it well making an average or nice song (to me) purely delightful. I have, on a couple of occassions gone back to the album to listen again, to check the arrangement, to hear if something that has suddenly become noticable was in fact present in the original.

Perhaps that's one of the great things about Bob's performances...often times the "new" experience is hidden in the original and for reasons unknown, we hear it for the first time 30 years later...only to find out it was there all along. 8)

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 11:28 GMT 

I love this song, it's somehow untypical for Dylan. And I especially like this line "automobile comin' into style".

I happened to see one of his bizarre performances of this song in 1991 (in Essen). Even though I knew it was supposed to be "New Morning" it took about 2 or 3 minutes until it became recognizable.

The live versions in 2005 & 2006 were surprisingly good. The band could play it very well. Thanks for the 2006 mp3, here's one from Wetzlar, 30.10.2005:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4odh31

I have no idea what songs Dylan thought of when he wrote "New Morning" but I always tend think of "Oh What A Beautiful Morning" by Rodgers & Hammerstein and "Lazy River" by Hoagy Carmichael & Sydney Arodin.

[...]
Up a lazy river where the robin's song
Awakes a bright new morning, we can loaf along.
Blue skies up above, ev'ry one's in love,
Up a lazy river, how happy you can be,
Up a lazy river with me!

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 16:11 GMT 

Marker, I was at the Columbus show you mentioned. The intro to the song, Bob solo on the organ, was awesome. It wasn't until the whole band kicked in at the start of the first verse that I recognized the song. I had the bootleg of that show for quite a while, and somehow lost it. Why I didn't rip it onto my computer, I'll never know. Does anyone have a link to download that show by any chance?

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 16:20 GMT 

njison83 wrote:
[...] Does anyone have a link to download that show by any chance?

It's on dimeadozen at the moment:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=241104

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 16:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

njison83 wrote:
Marker, I was at the Columbus show you mentioned. The intro to the song, Bob solo on the organ, was awesome. It wasn't until the whole band kicked in at the start of the first verse that I recognized the song. I had the bootleg of that show for quite a while, and somehow lost it. Why I didn't rip it onto my computer, I'll never know. Does anyone have a link to download that show by any chance?
You said Bob's "solo on the organ" and later said "rip it onto my computer"...as in, save it so you can listen to again? :shock:

I must say, I'll never live long enough to understand Sado-Masochism... :?

I just won't...

I just know it.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 16:58 GMT 

One of the better songs on the album, along with If Not For You, Day of the Locusts and Sign on the Window.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 17:13 GMT 

In the boot "The Ghost of Big Pink" there is an intro with "Spanish is the Loving Tongue" (the outtake), and immediately then the New Morning from Pennsilvanya 2005, with the little Bob's organ solo. It's a nice effect.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 17:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
njison83 wrote:
You said Bob's "solo on the organ" and later said "rip it onto my computer"...as in, save it so you can listen to again? :shock:

I must say, I'll never live long enough to understand Sado-Masochism... :?

I just won't...

I just know it.

IFYOUDON'TLIKEBOBDYLANTHENWHYDOYOUCOMEHERE?!?!?!?!?! :x :x :x

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 18:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Love Bob...

hate circus organ...

a lot!

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 20:50 GMT 

Quote:
You said Bob's "solo on the organ" and later said "rip it onto my computer"...as in, save it so you can listen to again?

I must say, I'll never live long enough to understand Sado-Masochism...

I just won't...

I just know it.

I know. Isn't is strange when someone else has an opinion that differs from yours. Mind blowing, really. The only reasonable explanation would then, of course, have to be that the are a Sado-Masochist. Obviously. Quick question, have you actually listened to the clip?

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 21:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

I've owned and listened to every available show of the Never Ending Tour from 1996 to the present and many of the ones prior to that, although a few of those from the first seven years I was never able to attain.

To me, the circus organ acts as a cheese grater to the inner ear and is so detestable that I can bearly tolerate it. I have not found a single show since its advent in 2006 worthy of saving for posterity's sake. I listen to every show, typically more than 10 times, before I delete it. The only two shows from 2006 to the present I possess are from the 2006 tour. I burned a couple for a fellow Dylan fan. He returned both. Interestingly, he kept everything I burned for him from 1991 through 2005 though.

When Bob isn't on circus organ, beit playing guitar, harmonica or just center stage singing, there are some incredible performances. In the last four years I haven't heard a single song on the organ I would keep or recommend to someone as, "You need to hear this. It's really good." I really and truly do try to listen for something good, something unique, something catchy, something worthy of being burned and saved to listen to for months or years to come.

So, in answer to your question, Yes, I've listened to it several times. If you enjoy it, so be it. That's not a problem for me- though like a smart*ss I did make a comment about Sado-Masochism. If I offended you, I'm sorry...truly, I am.

I don't think I'll be re-downloading it to see what I missed though.

Not today anyway.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 22:04 GMT 

No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their opinion my friend. We may be getting off topic here, but, since you made mention of having all of these recordings, do you happen to have the recording of the show from Detroit in 2003. I think he did a 3 night stint there, and I'm looking for the first night. That was my first Dylan show, and I wasn't overly familiar with the material at the time. I'd love to hear it again if you have it or know where to find it. What are your thoughts on that show? Oh, and just to make this relevant, New Morning is great. There we go...

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 22:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think you mean 2004. The three night Detroit residency of the Spring 2004 Tour was very good and the March 15 show was a great show, solid setlist and I am bowing to you as one not worthy of your presence. Freddy Koella and Larry Campbell were absolutely terrific on that tour. It is certainly a show worth having.

On the night after you saw Bob, March 16, Bob Seger was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Bob and His Band played a blistering hot rendition of Get Out of Denver as a second encore.

On March 17, Jack White joined Bob and His Band on stage for Ball & Biscuit as the final encore. On that night Freddy Koella played the most bizarre solo for Like A Rolling Stone I have ever heard and if you listen to it, you'll swear the CD is stuck for several seconds (like a record skipping). It is pretty good but WAY out there...like I would imagine an acid trip being.

I should have the March 15 show on an audio DVD. I'll see if I can retrieve it from work. Not just to keep this on topic, but I loved Freddy's guitar work so much, I have a list of songs I would have loved to heard them perform that tour, which I think is the best tour Bob ever had, and New Morning is on that list. I think they would have blown audiences away with it.

PostPosted: Sat September 19th, 2009, 22:34 GMT 

Haha, well now, that could be why I couldn't find the show. I've been looking for 2003 all this time. I'll tell you, the only regret I have about that show what not knowing the material better going into it. I knew what I was seeing was incredible, but I wish I knew more of the songs. I think I knew the 60's stuff and L&T at that point. In anycase, I really appreciate you look for that show for me. I can't wait to hear it. And I agree with you about Freddy. That guy could pull out the strangest, most amazing solos you could ever imagine.

PostPosted: Sun September 20th, 2009, 01:54 GMT 

Thanks a lot TruthIsObscure for that 2005 post. I had heard that before, but it was good to be reminded again. It's easily the best vocal delivery of the song on 05, and there were many, though I generally felt that most of them fell flat on their faces that year. I've never felt 05 was a very good year vocally and to me the piano is downright intrusive for a lot of the tour. There are times his plunking rivals his nasty bouts with the keys in 91. And while we're here, UP I understand you don't like the organ and I do feel for you. But what I like about the organ is that it's another texture to the band. It fulfills a purpose (most of the time) that the piano just cannot. This song is a good example of the virtues of the organ. It can sound triumphant, it can be a small noodle playing behind the band, he can solo, or he can just sit on a chord for an entire song, and generally only few (like us) really notice it. I think it allows him to focus more on his singing which has improved in both sound and expression since 05. BUT, with the passing of Denny's torch, I've been listening to a lot of his years, and it's my opinion that the band may have been at their best in 2005. There's a freshness and excitement to a lot of the performances and the new band's sound is big and bold. I think Bob's switch actually made the band better.
But Truth that particular performance is really good. Bob's vocal is definitely better than Columbus 06, but I like the grandiosity of the 06 organ sound over the funky 05 sound.
We should take a poll...

PostPosted: Sun September 20th, 2009, 12:39 GMT 

For historical reasons two live performances from the early 90s:

"New Morning", Stockholm, 25.6.1991
http://www.sendspace.com/file/unctiz

"New Morning", Melbourne, 6.4.1992
http://www.sendspace.com/file/etxx55

Back then these kind of performances made me stop listening to Dylan & stop collecting tapes. It took me 10 years to start again.

PostPosted: Sun September 20th, 2009, 13:35 GMT 

Thanks for the postings people! MEZ

PostPosted: Sun September 20th, 2009, 13:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Mister Jones prefers New Morning (the curry).

PostPosted: Mon June 10th, 2013, 09:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

I like this upbeat song. I pretty much dislike every cover I've ever heard. Here's a link to one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-doodBNbI8

PostPosted: Mon June 10th, 2013, 11:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

marker wrote:
'Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.'
Henry David Thoreau

Tis true Mez, a great song to start a great day. Wonderful music & loving lyrics that have an appreciative eye for Nature that always reminds me of Thoreau's love of the present moment while also painting a wistful nostalgic look towards the past. No matter how happy the songs of New Morning are, however, each has that slight tinge of sadness, that deeply buried wisdom that 'all things must pass'.

The night passed away so quickly
It always does when you're with me.

I've only heard one live version that actually surpasses the album. Building upon the lackluster run he gave the song in 2005, he utilizes his new instrument to create this newly-minted gorgeous creation. Opening the song with a symphonic grandiosity that makes one feel like they're sitting in the World Series in Heaven, this version has such a positively joyous effect on me that i easily prefer it to the original...

Columbus OH
August 13 2006
http://www.sendspace.com/file/750fqj

I wish some enterprising soul would collect "marker's picks" in one place and have them permanently available for download...BobDylandotCom would do it if they were smart.