Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 21st, 2014, 07:04 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 12th, 2014, 21:52 GMT 

As much as I am excited to see "the set," I have to say that I do miss the days when you had almost no idea what he was going to play next. Bob being Bob, there's always a chance he'll switch it up, as he's done recently. As an effort to preserve this sense of not knowing what he'll play next, I am attempting to resist every urge to look at the set lists before I see him in Chicago. I think the concert experience will be more enjoyable if I really don't know if he's stuck to "the set" or if he's made some tweaks. When I saw him in Spring and Summer 2013, I have to say that it wasn't all that exciting to know what songs are in the usual mix beforehand. Therefore, I came up the idea of a kind of "support group" for those who wish to join me in resisting setlist-peeking before they catch a show this tour. Anybody in?

PostPosted: Sun October 12th, 2014, 22:03 GMT 

I'm going to the Chicago shows too and I was just thinking yesterday that I think I'm going to try to avoid the set list threads until then, but then I decided I probably would cave in. I'm gonna try to hold out though! Count me in!

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:00 GMT 

I'm going to the Newark NJ show. I'll try to resist the urge to look at the set lists, but man, it will be tough.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

The setlists really haven't changed a helluva lot since the Spring 2013 approach, so there's not much to resist or miss. With the small, mostly theater venues chosen for this round, it's difficult to imagine that it won't continue as it has for the past couple of years. Minuscule tweaks with an occasional nuance or gear shift. Maybe swap out a tune here or there. Nothing jaw dropping. Just steady as she goes. All fun and worth seeing, of course!

And still no Vincent recording! Ha!

Last edited by Still Go Barefoot on Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:30 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:29 GMT 

I am also going to the Chicago shows. I also love the idea of a Bob Dylan support group, to help us avoid the setlists. But I am a realist, and in the event I am being held captive, and handcuffed to a radiator somewhere in the Arctic, I will probably still find a way to find out if Dylan played Early Roman Kings in the #12 spot. I'd rather be the one guy who is super-surprised and elated when he busts out Knockin' on Heaven's Door or Mr. Tambourine Man, rather then the average concert-goer who expects it. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:32 GMT 

I promise not to look at any setlists between now and when I go see Bob play live

this Friday night in Seattle.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't mind knowing. My brain doesn't have the capacity to really care about the list when in-person.
Instead, simply enjoy the moment.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 00:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

movin_after_midnight wrote:

Now, THAT's exciting! Have a blast Movin!

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 01:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm going to a Chicago show as well, and as much as I'd love to skip the setlists I know I won't for a few reasons:

1) It would really suck to display all that willpower and go the show and have it be the same exact show he's played all year (which may well happen). Like quitting smoking only to get hit by a train.

2) I'm making a cd for the person I'm going with, who has only a passing familiarity with ModBob especially post Love and Theft, and if he adds Tin Angel (sorry, I mean WHEN) I'll want to update the tracklist.

3) I just won't, especially since any change will doubtless produce dozens of ecstatic threads at this point, with spoilers in the thread titles to boot.

It's a noble effort though, and one which I wholeheartedly support. Some things were just more fun before the internet.

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 02:29 GMT 

Im going to watch him in Los Angeles and I will not look at setlists too. Although, he will probably start with Things Have Changed. ;)

PostPosted: Mon October 13th, 2014, 05:35 GMT 

i dont mind looking at any setlists, nor would i be offended to hear the one he's been playing the previous shows. I think the small variances work really well and i know any recording will never compare to seeing the show live.
There is no comparison to being in the audience and feeling their music pulsing through you. I am days away and i can NOT wait!!!!! (but i have to..booo) :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 16:26 GMT 

I really like that this urge and idea seems to be geographically centered in Chicago.
I am down with it. I may have to join a Barry Manilow forum to keep me distracted.
it's even more helpful for me, because this is something I've been wanting to do, but I realize that a foil in my plan is the pre-show drinking conversations. If we all make the pact, and hold to it, we should all have nothing to talk about!!!

Smoke, don't be stingy - make a mix cd of show numbers, and give your friend a copy of Tempest in full. those songs should be heard in context!...(both contexts!) I gave an extra copy of L&T to a Greek once and he loved it!

Sadly i missed this thread earlier because it wasn't in the tour section. otherwise i would have signed up already and the burden i've carried thus far would have felt lighter.

i guess i have to listen to THE SET one last time. is there an Australian show up for recommendation??
what's this i hear about a new arrangement of BITW and AATW? no! don't tell me! shhhh!!!!

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 16:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

A Merry Llama wrote:

Smoke, don't be stingy - make a mix cd of show numbers, and give your friend a copy of Tempest in full. those songs should be heard in context!...(both contexts!) I gave an extra copy of L&T to a Greek once and he loved it!

That's an option and one never knows (for certain) when he'll debut something from Tempest. Not looking at the setlists is not an option, though. It just won't happen...

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 16:40 GMT 

i thought we were all more delusional than that hERe! :lol:
pragmatics have their place. they help me get to stuff on time every now and again.

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 17:22 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
i thought we were all more delusional than that hERe! :lol:
pragmatics have their place. they help me get to stuff on time every now and again.

I'm delusional and mathematical, so I've devised a way for Bob to play every single track from the 35 original albums in 30 dates.
The 35 first tracks form the first two dates, the second tracks over the next two dates. As soon as albums start running out of tracks it gets wierder and wierder. My favourite is gig 28 which finishes off all the twelfth + thirteenth tracks from albums that have that many and whose last encore is the first of the fourteenth tracks.
You can work it out yourself. The single least likely encore combination possible.
Well do I enter the pantheon of nerddom or no?

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 17:44 GMT 

unfortunately, i don't think it's a structure that one walks in or out of, leavinclaud.
from one, to another, i mean that in the most endearing way.

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 18:13 GMT 

I wish you the best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 20:04 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
but I realize that a foil in my plan is the pre-show drinking conversations. If we all make the pact, and hold to it, we should all have nothing to talk about!!!

I do not accept this challenge but I promise I won't spill the beans (or any pints) as pre-show libations are underway.

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 21:08 GMT 

delvis_crasho wrote:
I do not accept this challenge but I promise I won't spill the beans (or any pints) as pre-show libations are underway.

Well, that may depend on how many pints you have :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2014, 01:44 GMT 

delvis_crasho wrote:
A Merry Llama wrote:
but I realize that a foil in my plan is the pre-show drinking conversations. If we all make the pact, and hold to it, we should all have nothing to talk about!!!

you may have to wear sunglasses as well...i think i'd be able to read from your eyes all i need to know. or we can socialize Medusa style and not make eye contact.

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2014, 16:21 GMT 

Alright, everybody who's on board, one day until the tour kicks off. This is going to be really hard to pull off for a few weeks, but NO PEEKING!!!

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2014, 23:42 GMT 

Here's a suggestion, don't have to take it.

Maybe we should post past set-lists in real time - so the inclined can still get their fix. Kind of like e-cigarettes. That way nothing is ruined, and you get to know what Dylan played in 1974 or 1999.

PostPosted: Fri October 17th, 2014, 00:45 GMT 

yes, that sounds brilliant!
we could limit it to shows that have taken place in the city at hand the night of a given pseudo-live-archival recovery setlist. seattle should be great - the only one i can recall details of off hand was 2009. viva Change My Way of Thinking!!

I bet JP would crash the party. but if she doesn't it's a sure sign he began mixing it up again!

PostPosted: Fri October 17th, 2014, 01:22 GMT 

I think we should do it then. Might be fun.

It started off as a game I thought of - someone posts a setlist, and somebody else has to figure out the date and city by the setlist alone.

Dylan has played Seattle 28 times. Six of those times in October.

PostPosted: Fri October 17th, 2014, 05:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

movin_after_midnight wrote:
I promise not to look at any setlists between now and when I go see Bob play live

I've been in Seattle on business since Monday and will be leaving the morning of the show.

I will commit to not looking at any set lists prior to the opening of this leg but that's about as far as I can go. Hoping to hit one of the Chicago shows... will likely be making the journey alone. My wife says our marriage may not survive a third Dylan show. My oldest son went with me when he was 15 and says that will do him in this lifetime. My youngest son says he'll be re-arranging his spice rack and my daughter says she is having her bowling ball drilled. The two of them have been unduly influenced by their mother and brother.