Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri January 30th, 2015, 00:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Next Album?
PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 21:56 GMT 

On the eve of the release of 'Shadows In The Night' what better time to speculate on the content of Bob's 37th studio album.

a. A sister album of the (13?) other songs recorded for SITN.

b. A collection of early Rock 'n' Roll covers i.e. Heartbeat, Blueberry Hill etc.

c. An album of new songs.

d. Something else

Post subject: Re: The Next Album?
PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:02 GMT 

Dylan's next project will take advantage of the oft-noted resemblance to Vincent Price and will be a musical remake of The Abominable Dr Phibes.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bootleg Series Vol.12: BOTT Complete Sessions

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:21 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
Like JP said, the next Bootleg series HAS to be BOTT, right? RIGHT? :x

As for speculation on the next album, I would imagine it would be all original songs. That is unless ol' Bobby is going on another double covers run, a la early to mid 90s.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:30 GMT 

Reboot the Bob Dylan franchise with Harrison Ford.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hibbing91 wrote:
Like JP said, the next Bootleg series HAS to be BOTT, right? RIGHT? :x

As for speculation on the next album, I would imagine it would be all original songs. That is unless ol' Bobby is going on another double covers run, a la early to mid 90s.

I really really want that, but wouldn't be surprised if they did the BOTT set instead, for 50 year copyright reasons.

I'd love to hear more originals, even if pieced together from a variety of sources like the past few albums were. Unless his contract is running out again, it probably won't have to be covers. He's probably signed to Sony for life now.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:44 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I really really want that, but wouldn't be surprised if they did the BOTT set instead, for 50 year copyright reasons.

I'd love to hear more originals, even if pieced together from a variety of sources like the past few albums were. Unless his contract is running out again, it probably won't have to be covers. He's probably signed to Sony for life now.

Yeah I agree, in all likelihood BOTT will be next - as others have stated, it's likely it was pushed back for the release of the Basement Tapes, so I assume it's just about ready to released, it's just a question of when.

And yes, I imagine he's signed for life with Sony now, so hopefully it'll be an album of originals, and not a forced contract filler type thing.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hibbing91 wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Yeah I agree, in all likelihood BOTT will be next - as others have stated, it's likely it was pushed back for the release of the Basement Tapes, so I assume it's just about ready to released, it's just a question of when.

And yes, I imagine he's signed for life with Sony now, so hopefully it'll be an album of originals, and not a forced contract filler type thing.

Ahh, typo - what I meant is BOB sessions - obviously closer to the 50 year mark.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 22:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

Mind-blowing new original album this fall, sound will be described as "modern yet timeless".

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:04 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Ahh, typo - what I meant is BOB sessions - obviously closer to the 50 year mark.

Ah yes, that would make more sense. But still, the BOTT release must be surely be on the horizon - from what I've seen, mostly on here, it looks as though it was pushed back for the Basement Tapes release, meaning that it was probably ready, or at least almost ready for release.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:15 GMT 

im hoping that there is a 1965 copyright set on the way with unheard stuff!

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:23 GMT 

camilla's house wrote:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is indeed the case.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:35 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
camilla's house wrote:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is indeed the case.

I do hope that 1965 copyright issue doesn't get in the way of other releases or hurt future plans.

I mean, obviously we'd like all 1965-66 studio outtakes and as much live stuff as they've got. But I think the copyright extension releases are kinda hobbled together without things like remastering or copious liner notes. This era deserves the full treatment, which probably only a massive Bootleg Series set would accomplish!

If that means that Complete BOTT Sessions gets pushed back to 2016 or later, I'm fine with that.

As far as a new studio album, I'd love some originals. If he wants to make it more melodic and interesting compositionally, I wouldn't protest! His stuff from the last 20 years is mostly all awesome, but he does rely pretty heavily on generic blues structures. I think he's got some melodic creativity that he's not letting himself use by sticking to those formulas. Let it out, Elston.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:46 GMT 

The BS entry for BotT will be the next Dylan product released. After that a new album. I don't think Bob Dylan is going to spend his last days as a cover artist, no matter how good the covers might sound.

The rest of the Shadows stuff will be stashed away to leak out over time on various BS entries. Sony ain't dumb. They understand that the number of Dylan recordings is limited by the cruel passage of time. Thus, you horde everything you get and do not go crazy with releasing it.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:54 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
Dylan's next project will take advantage of the oft-noted resemblance to Vincent Price and will be a musical remake of The Abominable Dr Phibes.

Bob actually plays organ in a similar style to Dr. Anton Phibes, and sometimes treats his road band as if they were "clockwork musicians" as well.

~ L.F.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:54 GMT 

Let's not assume there's much left from SIN worth releasing. Mr. One-Take Wonder did his stuff, and they got the best of it, I'd bet.

Bootleg 15 or whatever? BOOT Complete? Yes, bring it. Get back on solid ground : http://youtu.be/YwSZvHqf9qM

Last edited by Ain't Talkin' on Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:56 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu January 29th, 2015, 23:55 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
I do hope that 1965 copyright issue doesn't get in the way of other releases or hurt future plans.

I mean, obviously we'd like all 1965-66 studio outtakes and as much live stuff as they've got. But I think the copyright extension releases are kinda hobbled together without things like remastering or copious liner notes. This era deserves the full treatment, which probably only a massive Bootleg Series set would accomplish!

If that means that Complete BOTT Sessions gets pushed back to 2016 or later, I'm fine with that.

As far as a new studio album, I'd love some originals. If he wants to make it more melodic and interesting compositionally, I wouldn't protest! His stuff from the last 20 years is mostly all awesome, but he does rely pretty heavily on generic blues structures. I think he's got some melodic creativity that he's not letting himself use by sticking to those formulas. Let it out, Elston.

Yes, I agree. The copyright extensions are released in small amounts and minimal packaging for the purpose of their title, but you're definitely right, a copyright extension of '65 wouldn't nearly do it justice. I remember reading somewhere - probably on here - that a possibility for a future boot release may be the entire '66 recordings, basically a revamped Jewels & Binoculars with liner notes, and everything wonderful the boot releases always have. So perhaps the '65 recordings will be destined for a copyright release, while the '66 recordings yet the royal treatment. But who knows?! :o

And again, I definitely agree with the new album point. I was thinking the same thing today, I listened to Love and Theft, and Narrow Way shuffled its way on - of course it's all incredible - but instead of the blues structures, it would be nice if they could just let loose!

PostPosted: Fri January 30th, 2015, 00:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

eltedioso wrote:

If it's one of the limited edition copyright extension sets like the last few were, it shouldn't get in the way of anything. Much of it is out officially already on various releases. Since it's the 50th anniversary of both LARS and electric Newport this year though, I'm prepared to think they'll cash in on it in one way or another with a proper release of whatever kind.

PostPosted: Fri January 30th, 2015, 00:07 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
Reboot the Bob Dylan franchise with Harrison Ford.

ReBOTT?