Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 18th, 2014, 05:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon February 17th, 2014, 02:10 GMT 

'yuz'all famous, ER

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist David Kinney enters into the world of obsessive Bob Dylan followers (aka the “Dylanologists”) to deliver an immersive work on the artist’s singular impact on American culture.

Bob Dylan was the most influential songwriter of his time. Half a century later, he continues to be a touchstone, a fascination, and an enigma. From the very beginning, he attracted an intensely fanatical cult following, and in The Dylanologists, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist David Kinney ventures deep into this eccentric subculture to answer the question: What can Dylan’s grip on his most enthusiastic listeners tell us about his towering place in American culture?

In exuberant prose, Kinney introduces us to a vibrant underground: diggers searching for unheard tapes and lost manuscripts, researchers obsessing over the facts of Dylan’s life and career, writers working to decode the unyieldingly mysterious songs, collectors snapping up prized artifacts for posterity, travelers caravanning from concert to concert. It’s an affectionate mania, but as far as Dylan is concerned, a mania nonetheless. Over the years, he has been frightened, annoyed, and perplexed by fans who try to peel back his layers. Intensely private and fiercely combative, Dylan makes one thing plain: He does not wish to be known.

Intelligent, entertaining, and insightful, The Dylanologists is a richly detailed work of narrative journalism in the tradition of Confederates in the Attic and an absorbing story about the tension between zealous fans and their beloved idol."

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Dylan ... B0uHU.dpuf

http://davidkinney.net/

PostPosted: Mon February 17th, 2014, 22:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

Looked out on the web site and found this under the book description :

It’s an affectionate mania, but as far as Dylan is concerned, a mania nonetheless. Over the years, he has been frightened, annoyed, and perplexed by fans who try to peel back his layers. Intensely private and fiercely combative, Dylan makes one thing plain: He does not wish to be known. -

Hello Mr. Kinney..... got a question..... did Bob say that to you???? hummmmm???? :?

I go with the intensely private.... but fiercely combative??? And of course he wants to be known.... but on his terms.... and his terms are really not that all that out of line.... it is just that there are so many that care what his terms are that make the difference.....

But that said.... I am gonna read this one.... but I bet that this author is gonna take a whippin' ...... mania my a$$..... :roll:

Bring it on, baby!!!! :P

PS to Mr. Kinney: If you are here, come out in the open..... we promise to be nice :D

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 14:30 GMT 

Here!

"Wussies and pussies." Combative, no?

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 19:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Lily Rose wrote:
Looked out on the web site and found this under the book description :

It’s an affectionate mania, but as far as Dylan is concerned, a mania nonetheless. Over the years, he has been frightened, annoyed, and perplexed by fans who try to peel back his layers. Intensely private and fiercely combative, Dylan makes one thing plain: He does not wish to be known. -

Hello Mr. Kinney..... got a question..... did Bob say that to you???? hummmmm???? :?

I go with the intensely private.... but fiercely combative??? And of course he wants to be known.... but on his terms.... and his terms are really not that all that out of line.... it is just that there are so many that care what his terms are that make the difference.....

But that said.... I am gonna read this one.... but I bet that this author is gonna take a whippin' ...... mania my a$$..... :roll:

Bring it on, baby!!!! :P

PS to Mr. Kinney: If you are here, come out in the open..... we promise to be nice :D

He's here (a few posts up from this). Nice guy - asked me to interview with him and in the end, the timing wasn't right for me. I did point him to a couple to our younger fans here to get their perspective on being a young fan.

I'll definately read this when it's out - you can preorder it now. It should be a fun read. As they
say, don't shoot the messenger. He's wrote as he heard - it straight from Bob's fanbase.

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 19:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

ekinneys wrote:
Here!

"Wussies and pussies." Combative, no?

Hey hello there..... how clever hiding behind your real name..... not used to things being that simple..... :P

W&P that was not combative :wink: .... that whole interview was funny...back in the 60's they used to know he was being funny.....I am sure there are many a famous person who has been way worse than that when you consider how much he gets analyzed from every which way.....

So do tell, did you get any direct contact from anyone in the Dylan camp in contributions to your book? Did you get any road blocks? Did you use us here at ER as samples/info/subjects in your book? Do you really think he thinks we are a PITA???? I rather think in safe and reasonable situations he is quite happy to talk to us.....example, one of the members got to visit and get autographs in the hotel lobby last year..... don't you think other stars have the same kind of fans as Dylan.... I mean of course we are s-o-o-o special.... and of course we are especially smart as an overall group.... and oh, yeah, especially loyal.... etc, etc,etc, :lol:

Was it hard to get a publishing deal? Is this your first book? Do you think the subject matter made it any easier?
Are you getting excited???? 8)

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 19:40 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Lily - I'll answer some of this for him.

It's not his first book.

He hasn't been hiding. He's been in a bunch of threads about the book.

He contacted me probably over 2 years ago and asked me to do an interview with him.

You gotta buy the book to have some of your other questions answered. :wink:

Lil - You spoke with him 2 years ago about this upcoming book:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71172

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 19:49 GMT 
Mercury Member

Oh, I do intend to read this one.....

If I sound mean, I sure don't intend to..... I mean anyone that ventures out to write a book about fans of Bob Dylan has got to have a pretty good sense of humor.... I think this is going to be way more interesting than another bio telling us all about who was zooming who 40 years ago..... :P

PostPosted: Tue February 18th, 2014, 19:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

He's a writer but he's also a big BD fan himself so he knew what he was getting into.

I referred him to some ER members a couple of years ago. He interviewed some of them but I don't think he reveals user names, etc. (although I could be wrong).

I'm looking forward to this one.

Here's the front page link to order it via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451626924?tag ... amp=211189

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 00:57 GMT 
Senior Moderator

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
He's a writer but he's also a big BD fan himself so he knew what he was getting into.

I referred him to some ER members a couple of years ago. He interviewed some of them but I don't think he reveals user names, etc. (although I could be wrong).

I think you referred me to him, Bahsten - but now I don't remember if I ever interviewed w him or not. Hopefully, I'd remember if I had... but I often don't know these days what my memory is up to.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 01:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

Anything But A Roll wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

I think you referred me to him, Bahsten - but now I don't remember if I ever interviewed w him or not. Hopefully, I'd remember if I had... but I often don't know these days what my memory is up to.

Sounds like you might be having a senior moderator moment.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 04:30 GMT 
Senior Moderator

There were others, too. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 19:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Dylanologists looks interesting. I'll buy it when it's released (through the link on the main page, naturally). I am definitely obsessed with the music, and the body of work. And find it endlessly rewarding. With little interest in Dylan's life, or how his life may find its way into the songs. I have no desire to know him or peel back any of his layers. But the work, on the other hand....Hope there are some of those kind of D-ologists covered in the book. Maybe I can find a cure. :lol: Didn't Dylan himself say in the late 80's that he wanted to have a fan base like the Grateful Dead? That followed him around and such?

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 20:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
Hmmm, kind of surprising that in all these years there hasn't been a large scale muckraking book on him, digging up every unseemly rumor. I suppose he's due, I hope a full length leather coat is handy.

From the amazon ad, I don't think this is a muckraking book about Dylan, or even a book about Dylan himself. It appears to be a book about Dylan's critics, biographers, bloggers and obsessive fans and what they think about Bob Dylan. Anyone who has spent enough time on this site probably is very familiar with what is going to be in the book. Who would pay money to read interviews with ER members about Dylan when their posts about him are here free? This (it appears) is about a phenomenon tangential to Dylan - his fans/admirers/critics.

There was a documentary about Springsteen fans released in 2013 called "Springsteen and I." People enjoyed the documentary - or not - depending on how fascinated they were listening to 'devoted fans' explain the impact on their lives of someone they didn't know. The film was occasionally charming and moving but quite a bit of it was deeply deeply creepy. Some of the 'fans' who were interviewed gave off the vibe that had they not become obsessed with Springsteen, they would have become obsessed with somebody else - possibly another musician or possibly their ex girlfriend or a coworker or even a stranger they could obsessively focus and project their problems on. The common thread was the need of many of 'the fans' interviewed to use their attachment to Springsteen to endow their lives with meaning. I came away from the film understanding more about stalkers than I ever wanted to know..........the film contained no new information about Springsteen himself.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 20:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I'm looking forward to reading it.

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 23:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

Okay, TODAY I do remember speaking w him over the phone. Dont' think I had any awesome revelations that he won't hear from other fans - like I got into Bob when I caught "No Direction Home" on PBS. Oh and that I didn't like Bob in the 60s. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 23:56 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Go Barefoot said:
Quote:

haha - but I've come to my senior senses, and can see it all clearly now!!

PostPosted: Wed February 19th, 2014, 23:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

Still Go Barefoot said:
Quote:

haha - but I've come to my senior senses, and can see it all clearly now!!

Johnny Nash
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6 ... kwJ-g0iJ6w

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 00:30 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
"Anything But A Roll"Still Go Barefoot said:
Quote:

"haha - but I've come to my senior senses, and can see it all clearly now!!"
Johnny Nash
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6 ... kwJ-g0iJ6w

Ooooooo - I had great time kareoking around my kitchen island- "Look straight ahead nothing but blue sky-ie-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-iei-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-iei-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie ie-ie-ie-ie....

Groovy. :)

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 23:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I always like meeting Dylan fans because they're generally a charming and clever bunch, but I know that this dialogue (or something like it) will always take place sooner or later ...

Dylan fan: Yes, you thought he was good last night? You really should have seen him in Newcastle last week!
Me: Um, actually, I was in New....
Dylan fan [interrupting]: Did I say last week? I meant last tour! Really superb!
Me: Yes, I remember.....
Dylan fan [interrupting]: I meant to say 1988, that was the best!
Me: Well, I....
Dylan fan [interrupting]: Have you been to Australia?
Me: Sadly, no.
Dylan fan: Are you sure?
Me: I think I'd remember.
Dylan fan: Well that's a pity because those shows in Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide; they were the best I've ever seen Dylan!

Doesn't stop me loving Dylan fans though - I think it's great. :)

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 23:39 GMT 

To be fair, those Australian shows were really something. Sorry you didn't catch them Charles.

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 23:44 GMT 
Senior Moderator

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 23:49 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
smoke wrote:
Hmmm, kind of surprising that in all these years there hasn't been a large scale muckraking book on him, digging up every unseemly rumor. I suppose he's due, I hope a full length leather coat is handy.

From the amazon ad, I don't think this is a muckraking book about Dylan, or even a book about Dylan himself. It appears to be a book about Dylan's critics, biographers, bloggers and obsessive fans and what they think about Bob Dylan. Anyone who has spent enough time on this site probably is very familiar with what is going to be in the book. Who would pay money to read interviews with ER members about Dylan when their posts about him are here free? This (it appears) is about a phenomenon tangential to Dylan - his fans/admirers/critics.

There was a documentary about Springsteen fans released in 2013 called "Springsteen and I." People enjoyed the documentary - or not - depending on how fascinated they were listening to 'devoted fans' explain the impact on their lives of someone they didn't know. The film was occasionally charming and moving but quite a bit of it was deeply deeply creepy. Some of the 'fans' who were interviewed gave off the vibe that had they not become obsessed with Springsteen, they would have become obsessed with somebody else - possibly another musician or possibly their ex girlfriend or a coworker or even a stranger they could obsessively focus and project their problems on. The common thread was the need of many of 'the fans' interviewed to use their attachment to Springsteen to endow their lives with meaning. I came away from the film understanding more about stalkers than I ever wanted to know..........the film contained no new information about Springsteen himself.

If it's funny enough I'll pay. But I'll wait and see if it gets a strong rep first. The stalking stuff would be a chore to read. Possibly some of the funnier interviews are of obsessives who don't obsess on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 08:16 GMT 
Senior Moderator

the_revelator wrote:
smoke wrote:

I would but I'll assume you won't be buying it. That's your choice. But I won't review it before I read it. There were a handful of ER fans who were interviewed. There are many, many ER members who are here who don't post so I won't assume to know how a lot of them would respond if interviewed. I also don't get the analogy to the Springsteen documentary unless it's only to be a buzzkill.

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 08:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I would but I'll assume you won't be buying it. That's your choice. But I won't review it before I read it. There were a handful of ER fans who were interviewed. There are many, many ER members who are here who don't post so I won't assume to know how a lot of them would respond if interviewed. I also don't get the analogy to the Springsteen documentary unless it's only to be a buzzkill.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 12:49 GMT 
Mercury Member

Yeah. I am with you Boston, I am gonna read this one. I don't think I am doing any more bio's unless it is Vol. II&III. But this book is gonna have a cast of characters straight from Desolation Road II :wink:
I third most interesting thing in the world of Dylan... First the music/art/writing, second the man and third the fans!! :P