Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 31st, 2015, 17:27 GMT

All times are UTC

What is Dylan's best studio album since Blood on the Tracks?
Desire 18%  18%  [ 28 ]
Street Legal 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Slow Train Coming 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Saved 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Shot of Love 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Infidels 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Empire Burlesque 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Knocked Out Loaded 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Down in the Groove 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Oh Mercy 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Under the Red Sky 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Good As I Been To You 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
World Gone Wrong 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Time Out of Mind 25%  25%  [ 39 ]
Love and Theft 26%  26%  [ 41 ]
Masked and Anonymous 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Modern Times 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
Together Through Life 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Christmas in the Heart 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Tempest 9%  9%  [ 14 ]
Shadows in the Night 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 159
PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 18:46 GMT 

fun little poll...

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Ok. Show yourself person who picked Knocked Out Loaded.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hi Harry.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:07 GMT 

Harry Truman wrote:
Ok. Show yourself person who picked Knocked Out Loaded.

Untrodden Path has clearly hacked the mainframe.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:08 GMT 

I ticked "Infidels" by mistake, it was supposed to be "Empire Burlesque", although I do like "Infidels"

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:09 GMT 

The 2 people who picked Knocked Out Loaded shows you how seriously some people take these polls.

I pick Desire, with L&T and TOOM closely following behind.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:13 GMT 

They didn't want the little girls in the choir to feel too disappointed. I wonder if any of those kids have needed counselling.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 19:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Love and Theft hands down!

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 20:12 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
They didn't want the little girls in the choir to feel too disappointed. I wonder if any of those kids have needed counselling.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 20:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Location: out with the truckers & the kickers & the cowboy angels
jimb727 wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 20:37 GMT 

Desire...my favorite Dylan album period.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 21:04 GMT 

No question it's Desire for me. I think if Desire somehow magically came out around the time of TOOM or L&T and not 1976, and not right after BOTT, i think the poll would look a lot different..not that Desire is doing horribly bad or anything. I love TOOM and L&T too, and many others on the list, but they're no Desire...IMO.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 21:20 GMT 

Love & Theft is my favorite. I remember listening to some of the tracks that were leaked out on the internet in the summer of 2001, one or two months before the album was released. Has that ever happened with any other studio album of his?

Also, I'm a little surprised there isn't more love here for Street Legal after that lengthy thread on it.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 21:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

outfidel wrote:
Love & Theft is my favorite. I remember listening to some of the tracks that were leaked out on the internet in the summer of 2001, one or two months before the album was released. Has that ever happened with any other studio album of his?

Also, I'm a little surprised there isn't more love here for Street Legal after that lengthy thread on it.

I like it, but you said best. :)

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 21:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

jimb727 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 22:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

Love and Theft for me, too...although these albums are so different as to make comparison difficult, that is the one that has proved richest for me.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 22:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

The one I listen to most often is Tell Tale Signs.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 23:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:
The 2 people who picked Knocked Out Loaded shows you how seriously some people take these polls.

I pick Desire, with L&T and TOOM closely following behind.

I think Love and Theft is Dylan's best album... for me, it's without question. That said, I have listened to Knocked Out Loaded more than any other album I have ever owned.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 23:39 GMT 

A few contenders.

Desire is one of my favourite Dylan albums, regardless of how much of it he actually wrote.

Love And Theft is a very interesting and clever album, but there are too many dud songs. The magpie songwriting method misfires more often than it succeeds. It was a worthy effort, but Time Out Of Mind is superior in comparison because the songs carry real feeling; it feels like someone is communicating and connecting with you, and so overall it is a more moving experience.

I think Tempest has some great moments too, but dissapointingly it doesn't really work that well as a complete album: many of the arrangements are far too clinical, robotic and dry sounding. I don't like the production, and the overall effect is heaviness, lacking substance and feeling and life. In short, an album that is ideal for people who enjoy not enjoying themselves. I think the songs work much better as part of the live set; and the rewritten, rearranged Pay In Blood is a huge improvement, a much more rich and engaging experience.

And finally, Shadows In The Night is particularly refreshing for it's simple concept and earnest performance. Crucially, Shadows In The Night is the only album since Time Out Of Mind that feels like it is built on a truly strong foundation.

So Desire is my number one choice, with Shadows In The Night and Time Out Of Mind not far behind.

Last edited by Yellowgoat on Wed July 22nd, 2015, 23:46 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 23:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yellowgoat wrote:
A few contenders.

Desire is one of my favourite Dylan albums, regardless of how much of it he actually wrote.

Love And Theft is a very interesting and clever album,but there are too many dud songs. The magpie songwriting method misfires more often than it succeeds. It was a worthy effort, but Time Out Of Mind is superior in comparison because the songs carry real feeling; it feels like someone is communicating and connecting with you, and so overall it is a more moving experience.

I think Tempest has some great moments too, but dissapointingly it doesn't really work that well as a complete album: many of the arrangements are far too clinical, robotic and dry sounding. The overall effect is heaviness, lacking substance and feeling and life. In short, an album that is ideal for people who enjoy not enjoying themselves. I think the songs work much better as part of the live set; and the rewritten, rearranged Pay In Blood is a huge improvement, a much more rich and engaging experience.

And finally, Shadows In The Night is particularly refreshing for it's simple concept and earnest performance. Crucially, Shadows In The Night is the only album since Time Out Of Mind that feels like it is built on a truly strong foundation.

So Desire is my number one choice, with Shadows In The Night and Time Out Of Mind not far behind.

I ask you to name them....

PostPosted: Wed July 22nd, 2015, 23:59 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
Yellowgoat wrote:
A few contenders.

Love And Theft is a very interesting and clever album,but there are too many dud songs. The magpie songwriting method misfires more often than it succeeds. It was a worthy effort, but Time Out Of Mind is superior in comparison because the songs carry real feeling; it feels like someone is communicating and connecting with you, and so overall it is a more moving experience.

I think Tempest has some great moments too, but dissapointingly it doesn't really work that well as a complete album: many of the arrangements are far too clinical, robotic and dry sounding. The overall effect is heaviness, lacking substance and feeling and life. In short, an album that is ideal for people who enjoy not enjoying themselves. I think the songs work much better as part of the live set; and the rewritten, rearranged Pay In Blood is a huge improvement, a much more rich and engaging experience.

I ask you to name them....

I think some of the songs on Love And Theft are self-sabotaged by the concept of the songwriting method. It's like a crazy science project. Has the project created interesting, note-worthy results? Most certainly, yes. But do they succeed as songs? That depends on what you are looking for in a song.

For me, selections like Honest With Me, Bye And Bye, Lonesome Day Blues and Summer Days are interesting and often clever concoctions, but not particularly engaging songs. They feel fragmented, scattered, unfocused, and overall unmoving. I prefer it when Bob Dylan writes or sings about what he is experiencing in the world, rather than when he is self-consciously building songs out of bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Thu July 23rd, 2015, 00:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

you leave out the two best tracks.....High Water, Mississippi

PostPosted: Thu July 23rd, 2015, 00:06 GMT 

Desire & Street Legal shouldn't be included in this list.
It's still golden Dylan, it makes no sense ending with Blood and leaving Desire out.

That said, I obviously voted Desire.

But if the poll had started with Slow Train Coming (meaning the beginning of a *minor* Dylan), my vote would have gone to Infidels-Tempest (tied)

PostPosted: Thu July 23rd, 2015, 00:16 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
you leave out the two best tracks.....High Water, Mississippi

Yes, I like both of those. High Water is my favourite song on the album.

I say this about a lot of albums, but I think Love And Theft would have been better as an EP: shorter, more focused and intense. I think the whole concept of self-consciously building songs out of fragments has since taken on far too much significance, taken up too much of Bob's time and energy, and has allowed his songwriting abilities to further decay. And on the whole, I don't think as a songwriting method it has produced particularly exciting results (there are a few exceptions). It seems to be just another way for Bob to hide from actually expressing himself more openly.

PostPosted: Thu July 23rd, 2015, 00:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

How do you know these songs were made out of fragments??^^

Are you talking about the famous "box"??