Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 1st, 2014, 12:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 16:50 GMT 

I see all conversations about an upcoming bootleg series for 2014 have faded. Does this mean that we no longer expect 11 to be issued this fall? Seems weird all the hubbub in Jan/ Feb and then nothing for such a long time.

Post subject: Re: Bootleg Series 11
PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 16:51 GMT 

As far as I am aware it will still be the Blood On The Tracks set.

So no new news.

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 17:12 GMT 

perhaps the new Black Mass live show recording, featuring Tangled up in Blue and Simple Twist of Fate, will be part of the super duper rip off deluxe set. That would be so malicious!

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 18:02 GMT 

Yes, but do we think 2014? Or has it been put off by the Burrnet project?

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 18:23 GMT 

What are they going to fill up a Blood on the Tracks set with, I am asking, apart from endless versions no-one needs of Tangled Up in Blue? I was under the impression that the only alternate stuff of any significance was mopped up on Bootlegs 1-3. Basement Tapes, extended version, please, sometime. A lot of the Basement Tapes is actually quite bad when you hear the full recordings, but they'd make a really good quality 2 disc set shorn of the eight mediocre Band songs on the official set that have nothing to do with the Dylan recordings, with the addition of some previously criminally left-out songs.

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 18:43 GMT 

The Killer Snark wrote:
I was under the impression that the only alternate stuff of any significance was mopped up on Bootlegs 1-3.

Actually, none of the alternate "New York" versions from the original test pressing was on BS1-3. The versions presented there were all alternates to the alternates, so to speak. The only test pressing take (apart from the songs that stayed the same on the final release) that's had an official release thus far is YOU'RE A BIG GIRL NOW on Biograph, and it was remixed, though not drastically.

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 19:30 GMT 

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
Actually, none of the alternate "New York" versions from the original test pressing was on BS1-3. The versions presented there were all alternates to the alternates, so to speak. The only test pressing take (apart from the songs that stayed the same on the final release) that's had an official release thus far is YOU'RE A BIG GIRL NOW on Biograph, and it was remixed, though not drastically.

Great. I'm really excited about this... and personally speaking I can't enough of different versions of Tangled Up!!
I hope it's this year.

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 19:58 GMT 

As I keep saying, the chances of them releasing another volume of the Bootleg Series just one year after the last are slim. It doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective. Record companies like to let the demand and anticipation rise up before putting anything out, especially these days. Though people like us are gonna be interested regardless of when it's released, that's not the case for casual buyers. They market these things as an event, and that loses some potency if it's done every year.

Regarding the BOT rumors, it seems to me that they really screwed up on what could have been a really amazing compilation by releasing the best cuts from the vault already, on Biograph and TBS Vol. 1-3. I imagine they didn't foresee this series still going strong 20 years down the road, so they didn't put a lot of thought into the track-listing back then (for example, no one seems to have been thinking, "Hm, better save this for later, it'll make more sense on the BOT themed volume.."). They're probably kicking themselves for that now, considering that it could have been the best selling BS to date, taking into account the album's great popularity.

I doubt there's really any revelations regarding the sessions that we haven't already been privy to. As a result, either the best parts of such a release will have been previously available, or it'll just be full of stuff that no one owns but no one really needs to either.

PostPosted: Tue April 29th, 2014, 21:10 GMT 

- at one point recently, the official plan was to release a set every year. probably due to (and a good idea because of) the lingering death of the CD. there had been a strong rumor that BS 10 and BS 11 were both going to be released in the same year (Spring and Fall). plans are subject to change of course, especially if a new album is in the pipeline. my prediction is that the new Bootleg Series and Volume 2 of the Complete Albums (Bootleg Series set) will be announced at the same time. i wouldn't expect any fall releases to be announced until at least June.

- i think that the really crappy-sounding bootleg Basement Tapes songs were just dubbed poorly. Columbia is trying to find the best sources and i'm sure the original tapes are probably a lot better.

- i think that the argument that everything good has been released is foolish. i mean, we just got Another Self-Portrait and we know of plenty of other tracks that exist in the periods already covered that have not been officially released yet. this is not to even considering undocumented material or previously unknown songs.

-justin

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 02:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

notdarkyet2 wrote:
- i think that the argument that everything good has been released is foolish.

Yup.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 07:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

We do not know what they might have that nobody here knows about. They might yet come up with I'm Cold.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 08:32 GMT 

It'll be one disc featuring 22 versions of "Tangled Up In Blue" and a paper with a quiz of where the protagonist ends up in what version.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 09:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

...and the deluxe edition will feature a complete reproduction of the little red notebook, at 999$. :P

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 09:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

...and yet another version of Tangled.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 10:32 GMT 

...with a dance remix.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 14:36 GMT 

:shock: :lol:

Jeez... :wink:

Jokes aside, I hope there'll be news soon though. They must be putting it together / or have put it together by now.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 14:45 GMT 

Well I would be happy with a Tangled up in Blue Box Variety box set! :D
It was the first ever Bob song I leaned the chords too. I love it. I call it my 'breakthought' guitar song, so it's special & sentimental for me. I can sing all the words to the BOTT version (mostly).

I'm at work so I don't have an book hand that I can check.... but wasn't there a few post BOTT really venomous songs that never surfaced? Why am I thinking that Mssrs Stills & Nash, may have been a very small private audience for these??

I'm frustrated that I cannot check my facts... But there could have been demos?

Maybe not? Because I'm sure if there were someone would have found them before now.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 18:11 GMT 

I will eat my hat if those post-divorce songs such as I'm Cold are released.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 18:15 GMT 

WoollyRockers wrote:
I can sing all the words to the BOTT version (mostly).
Can't we all? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 18:51 GMT 
Mercury Member

I think...

new album this year, bootleg series the next.

PostPosted: Wed April 30th, 2014, 20:30 GMT 

Next year would make more sense. Then their marketing can center around it being the 40th anniversary and all...

I think probably a lot more casual buyers end up getting these than some people on this thread realize. People that don't necessarily even know what TBS is or have kept up with it, but that end up picking it up anyway after seeing a well-crafted ad. Considering these are archival releases from a man that many ignorantly assume to be dead (not even kidding, haha), they sell very well.The people that are actually knowledgeable about what to expect and what is out there, we make up a very small percentage of those who will actually buy it.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 14:00 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
WoollyRockers wrote:
I can sing all the words to the BOTT version (mostly).
Can't we all? :lol:

I can sing all the versions, studio and live!
(but I do get them tangled up at times...)

PostPosted: Fri May 2nd, 2014, 01:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

sadeyedprophet wrote:
Next year would make more sense. Then their marketing can center around it being the 40th anniversary and all...

You may be right, Sad Eyed.
Although, they might wanna push that concept and release it in time for the Christma$ ru$h.

PostPosted: Fri May 2nd, 2014, 08:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
I think...

new album this year, bootleg series the next.

Live album?

PostPosted: Fri May 2nd, 2014, 08:42 GMT 

Live album would be nice! I was so hoping they'd release the RAH shows...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next