Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 28th, 2015, 00:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Do family and friends share your Dylan passion?
yes, some of them do 45%  45%  [ 21 ]
no, nobody seems to understand 55%  55%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 47
PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 13:49 GMT 

only very few of my friends and nobody in my Family ( except for my 5 year old son, who loves "Subterranean Homesick Blues" ) How about you?

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 14:13 GMT 

My first wife became quite a fan, however, I think she liked Stevie Nicks and Elvis Presley more.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 14:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I used to have a couple buddies who were really into Dylan (not as much as me, though). One has passed on, the other has a bunch of kids and almost never gets out these days. Almost all my Dylan conversations are online now...I miss the days when we were passing a bottle and a roach and talking about his new album Oh Mercy.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 14:47 GMT 

One of my ex girlfriends pretended to love his music, just to impress me. :wink:
After we parted, she had her Tattoo (eye logo) removed.
My wife is honest, she can't stand his voice (regardless which period) The only song that she likes is "like a rolling Stone" if it's sung by Mick Jagger!
I hope she survives the 2 hours in Bregenz in November. :D

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 14:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Where is the hell no, you got to be kidding option...?

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 14:49 GMT 

My fiancée likes Tempest.

I consider this a major victory.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 15:14 GMT 

ive got a cool aunt who does. my brother thinks he's smart, likes a couple songs but doesnt really care.
my parents both think his voice sucks, my dad isnt observant enough to pick up on lyrics but my mom thinks hes a great writer. she actually read my copy of Chronicles and loved it. i almost didnt tell her that parts of it were taken from other writers.
a pair of brothers im friends with are big fans, one of them probably knows Dylan's stuff better than i do.
ive gotten a few people into him but idk if they care that much.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 15:21 GMT 

My wife is probably the World Champion at eye-rolling, tutting and using variations on the phrase, "Oh God, not him again." I'm beginning to think she might not be a fan.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 15:23 GMT 

My wife can't stand listening to Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 15:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

yes all of them but my exwife :lol:

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 15:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Location: out with the truckers & the kickers & the cowboy angels
jcastro wrote:
yes all of them but my exwife :lol:

Your family is great, even the kids love him. :wink:

My friends who I met via Dylan all like Dylan - different kinds of Dylans. My brother doesn't care but still does a hilarious impersonation.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 17:13 GMT 

Everyone in my now family of four has been to at least one Dylan concert, and would gladly attend again. My kids, 21 and 23 have their own music too, and Dylan is way cool. I have 2 more kids in their late thirties who recognize his talent but I would not call them "fans". I have some friends that do and some that don't. It's all good. 8)

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 17:18 GMT 

My 17 year old son says 'he doesn't care'., and my wife is not a fan.

I of course take a stance of smug superiority.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 18:52 GMT 

Let's put it like this: nobody around me would dare to say that he's crap.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 19:50 GMT 

Some of my close friends like him, but only a very small fraction as much as me. My Mom doesn't care for him at all, and my uncle doesn't care for him much either.

Don't know the rest of my families opinion on him....really don't care.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 20:21 GMT 

I'd say my wife has come along way since I met her she was a Michael Bubble/ Simply Red sort of girl when I first met her.

I've introduced her to an awful lot of new music that she seems to appreciate and we have been to lots of gigs before that she has enjoyed and her tastes now include Richard Hawley, Van Morrison, Calexico, The Deslondes, Old Crow Medicine Show, Pokey Lafarge, Iron and Wine, Jason Isbell, JD McPherson, Imelda May,and Caitlin Rose amongst others. She got into Jakob's music both solo and with the Wallflowers very easily but Bob remains an enigma.

We are going to the first night at the Royal Albert Hall which she jumped at but she claims she is going to see The Royal Albert Hall and not Bob Dylan and I can only hope that the majesty of the venue wins her over and adds to the atmosphere. I think the biggest problem is that for an outsider there are so many "Bob Dylan voices" at different stages of his career that it can be a bit confusing. Ill play her folk Bob, to where he is now and it must be hard to believe it's the same guy (even to a long term fan) to me it's part of the appeal.

I'm just praying that the RAH casts its spell over her in October.

Anyway, I think she partially gets it, I think she realises his class as a songwriter anyway- It's the voice (or voices).

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 20:25 GMT 

I have friends and family that know he's great, but don't really care all that much. Maybe they just don't want to hurt my feelings. My grandmother refers to him as, "That guy you like," though I think she'd get a kick out of No Direction Home, simply because it's a great story and she grew up in that era.

However, at 23 and unattached I long for a girlfriend and wife to listen to NET concerts with, and to argue about which Mississippi (Take #3), Caribbean Wind (Unreleased Take), and Abandoned Love (Live version) is the greatest. I know she exists, but I haven't found her yet.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 20:31 GMT 

Nope. My girlfriend hates the high pitch harmonica solos in the 60'S albums, and I love them. An acquired taste, no doubt, as his voice.

Only my mother, who loved Freewhelin back in the 60s and still do. Not the same with modBob, but at least she likes a couple of albums.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 20:33 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I have friends and family that know he's great, but don't really care all that much. Maybe they just don't want to hurt my feelings. My grandmother refers to him as, "That guy you like," though I think she'd get a kick out of No Direction Home, simply because it's a great story and she grew up in that era.

However, at 23 and unattached I long for a girlfriend and wife to listen to NET concerts with, and to argue about which Mississippi (Take #3), Caribbean Wind (Unreleased Take), and Abandoned Love (Live version) is the greatest. I know she exists, but I haven't found her yet.

You might never find it, but some of their reactions are so funny it's worth having a non dylan fan as a partner..... at least she doesnt watch the x factor

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 21:24 GMT 

Me and my mother have both seen him live 18 times. Now she's going to see him two more times when I can't because of my job. My father has seen him 3 times and he will see his 4th soon. My brother 8 times I think. And my wife 4 times (my 6th was her 1st). They're not so enthusiastic, and probably it's not "passion" what my wife feels, but them all like him a lot.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 21:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Only my younger brother. The rest do the usual clueless whining about the voice. :roll: :?

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 21:39 GMT 

Two of my dear friends took to Bob pretty quick, but in a more balanced way than myself. I fell deep and hard. After 8 yrs of my talking about Bob and saying she just doesn't get it, another friend text me one night and says she gets it now. She watched Things have Changed on Youtube and spent hours watching youtube videos of him. She said once she started listening nothing else sounded as good. That's what I've been trying to say for all these years!!

I drove many hours in the car with my 77 yr old mother with Bob playing on shuffle. She would either sing along or say "He wrote that one"? She liked 75% of what was playing. I was pretty surprised. She read the AARP article and wants to buy SITN on vinyl. My mom prefers to listen to music on vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu August 27th, 2015, 23:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

About a month after we were married my lovely bride went with me to see Dylan and Tom Petty ('86 tour).

About one month before our 8th anniversary we were on the rail directly in front of Bob and J.J. Jackson. When we left the auditorium that night, I asked if she enjoyed it.

Her response? "Our marriage won't survive a third show."

That hasn't stopped me from inviting her... But those two experiences have stopped her from saying "Yes." :?