Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 30th, 2014, 22:50 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 05:51 GMT 

What's the best resource on latter-day unreleased original songs of Dylan's (say, 1988-present)?

Here's the type of stuff I'd love some good information on:
1. Original songs that are technically released, but not in the main album canon or official Bootleg Series releases (e.g. "Waitin' for You" from the Divine Secrets sdtk). So many of his latter-day compilation contributions have been great covers or re-makes of his classic songs, but I'd love a better count of his more obscure latter-day originals that exist in an officially released form. If I have Telltale Signs plus "Things Have Changed," "Waitin' for You," and the sdtk mix of "Tell Ol' Bill," do I have it all?
2. Original songs that were cut by other artists but not Dylan, especially if there's a demo or worktape circulating of Bob singin' it.
3. Original songs that he's played live but not released (this used to happen somewhat frequently -- e.g. "Seven Days," "Tell Me Mama," "Stepchild," and lots of the Gospel stuff -- but seemed to taper off at some point. He also started to perhaps focus a bit more on traditional songs and one-off covers during the beginnings of the NET. In fact, I'd be fascinated to know the last time he performed an original song live in concert that's still unreleased).
4. Naturally, any original songs from these years that aren't on albums or Telltale Signs but are rumored or circulate in some form.

Any input would be appreciated. It's for school.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 07:19 GMT 

1/ Searching for a gem.
The others you can work out for yourself. If it's for school that's what you should be doing anyway:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 10:04 GMT 

There was an artical in mojo i believe, many years ago, it was run over 3 issues, all great obscure, unreleased bside type stuff. The writer actually visits here. He may have a link to the artical.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 16:18 GMT 

I love Searching for a Gem, and I've consulted it for years, but it's kinda hard to navigate. I always leave the site feeling like I'm only getting part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 16:20 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
1/ Searching for a gem.
The others you can work out for yourself. If it's for school that's what you should be doing anyway:mrgreen:

It's not really for school. I was just joking. I've been out of school for several years now.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 16:39 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
1/ Searching for a gem.

It's not really for school. I was just joking. I've been out of school for several years now.

It's OK. I'm not a real teacher!

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 19:35 GMT 

I am a real loft insulator.
And I'd like to remind people that there is a five per cent discount for all members of the site. PM me for details. Don't worry if you don't have a loft. I'm not prejudiced.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 20:25 GMT 

I always thought of stairway to heaven when i see your pic, i imagine Morgan Freemans waiting up there dressed in white :P

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 20:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev wrote:
And I'd like to remind people that there is a five per cent discount for all members of the site. PM me for details. Don't worry if you don't have a loft. I'm not prejudiced.

5%!!!

Why that's laughable, respectfully,

You need to step up your game Trevor!

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 20:41 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
What's the best resource on latter-day unreleased original songs of Dylan's (say, 1988-present)?

1. Original songs that are technically released, but not in the main album canon or official Bootleg Series releases (e.g. "Waitin' for You" from the Divine Secrets sdtk). So many of his latter-day compilation contributions have been great covers or re-makes of his classic songs, but I'd love a better count of his more obscure latter-day originals that exist in an officially released form. If I have Telltale Signs plus "Things Have Changed," "Waitin' for You," and the sdtk mix of "Tell Ol' Bill," do I have it all?....

one essential item in this category would be the rewritten version of "GONNA CHANGE MY WAY OF THINKING" which was recorded in March 2002 for the covers compilation "Gotta Serve Somebody - The Gospel Songs Of Bob Dylan" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotta_Serve_Somebody:_The_Gospel_Songs_of_Bob_Dylan

the new lyrics and numerous mp3 links to live versions of this song from 2009 to 2011 you will find at http://www.notdarkyet.org/change.html

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 21:37 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
Trev wrote:

5%!!!

Why that's laughable, respectfully,

You need to step up your game Trevor!

Damn straight! Winter's coming you know! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 21:38 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

1. Original songs that are technically released, but not in the main album canon or official Bootleg Series releases (e.g. "Waitin' for You" from the Divine Secrets sdtk). So many of his latter-day compilation contributions have been great covers or re-makes of his classic songs, but I'd love a better count of his more obscure latter-day originals that exist in an officially released form. If I have Telltale Signs plus "Things Have Changed," "Waitin' for You," and the sdtk mix of "Tell Ol' Bill," do I have it all?....

one essential item in this category would be the rewritten version of "GONNA CHANGE MY WAY OF THINKING" which was recorded in March 2002 for the covers compilation "Gotta Serve Somebody - The Gospel Songs Of Bob Dylan" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotta_Serve_Somebody:_The_Gospel_Songs_of_Bob_Dylan

the new lyrics and numerous mp3 links to live versions of this song from 2009 to 2011 you will find at http://www.notdarkyet.org/change.html

I love that version, but the spoken word skit is a little hokey.