Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 18:51 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Singing on Current Tour
PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 15:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Much has been made of the band, song choice, and center stagerism for the current tour, but I've read surprisingly less about how Bob is actually doing in his delivery. So, I'll ask:

How's Bob's singing on the current tour (as compared to other modern Bob singing)?

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 15:49 GMT 

In my opinion, his vocals have an excitement that's been missing for a while. He's not as howlin', but he is definitely more engaged than he has been in a while. He also seems to be having fun with that staccato singing he does & following rhythms he comes up with on his keyboard.

Of course, I am basing this on bootlegs. I'll be seeing him come October 30th. I'll report back 8) .

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 15:52 GMT 

Went to the show last night at the Palladium and all I can say is it was levitating.
Bob was so on - it was alchemy in motion.

AWESOME show!
8)

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 15:54 GMT 

Reverb has been added.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 16:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
Nero's Neptune wrote:
all I can say is it was levitating.
Bob was so on - it was alchemy in motion.

Perfect phrasing! I have levitated after four Bob shows, I do believe. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 16:19 GMT 

feet_of_a_harlot wrote:
Reverb has been added.

really?

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 16:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
That would kick ass!

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 19:31 GMT 
Mercury Member

I downloaded and listened to the LA show from a couple nights back...

Meh. Can't see what all the fuss is about.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:02 GMT 

His voice hasn't miraculously gotten better, it's about the same as it's been the last few years. What HAS improved greatly is his stage persona and his interaction with the band and the audience, which unfortunately you can't hear on a recording or even truly appreciate from a youtube video. You've got to be there. Since 2006 when I last saw him, I've dabbled in listening to a recording here or there and (apart from GOTTA SERVE SOMEBODY '08 and some of the European stuff earlier this year) haven't found any of it particularly impressive. But boy, it's a whole other ballgame after seeing him in Berkeley the other night. I bet THIS DREAM OF YOU won't sound like an incredible performance when a tape comes out, but watching him stand center stage, shuffling and pointing and blowing harp as he emoted it the best he could was incredibly rewarding.

I guess live music is a lot less about the actual music itself than it is about an immediate, palpable connection between performer and audience.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
I guess live music is a lot less about the actual music itself than it is about an immediate, palpable connection between performer and audience.

Say it a little louder - LJ hasn't been listening since 1980.

Oh, and Mr. Monkey, that was a hell of a pep talk!

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:06 GMT 

This Dream of You center stage with harp. Now that would be something.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

How then to explain the myriad excellent live albums out there, not to mention bootlegs?

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:18 GMT 

Woody wrote:

Say it a little louder - LJ hasn't been listening since 1980.

Oh, and Mr. Monkey, that was a hell of a pep talk!

'Palpable connection' I don't know, but just being a spectator in an immediate situation may enhance the experience.

I've been listening back to many live favourite albums (by different artists) of mine and while I still feel there may be a groove going on it's more often than not cut short by deficient recording quality compared to studio albums.

Main problem, usually, to my ears, is that the vocals aren't as dominating in the mix as they ought to.

LJ is right on the p when saying that live albums, generally, stink.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:19 GMT 

Do you really think listening to a live album or bootleg, no matter how excellent, is allowing you to experience as much enjoyment as actually being there would?

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:22 GMT 

It hasn't changed appreciably.

Some nights his voice is clearer and more supple than others, this has been an exaggerated dynamic since 2004 or so. But overall it hasn't changed.

Never believe that "he's singing better than he has in years" stuff you hear with each new tour. People who say such things either a) have tin ears or b) have hit upon one of the clearer, more supple vocal performances and have mistaken it for a wholesale improvement.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

Do you really think listening to a live album or bootleg, no matter how excellent, is allowing you to experience as much enjoyment as actually being there would?

Depends where you are in the venue, what mood you're in, who's around you, what you've eaten, blah blah.

Lots of factors at play, much as there are with live recordings. Read Paul Williams.

I couldn't be there in 1976 to witness the Hard Rain concert, but I can watch the video of it, or I can listen to the official album.

Hard Rain's a great example of a fantastic live album.

Likewise Leonard Cohen's recent 'Live In London' set. But lets not talk about the sublimity of those performances or we might start thinking maybe Bob Dylan aint that great live anymore......

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

CShoe wrote:
...supple...supple...

:shock: This is an adjective I reserve for one use, and it has nothing to do with Bob's voice.

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 20:56 GMT 

Wow, I wasn't impressed by Cohen's Live In London much at all. I saw him in Oakland back in April; wasn't that impressed with the show altogether, a bit too restrained and structured. And I like Cohen a lot! I do wonder if his act wasn't of some influence on Bob going center stage for some songs on recent tours...

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 21:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Only if you also believe watching a travel channel program on Egypt provides the same experience as visiting the pyramids does. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 21:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Long Johnny wrote:

Only if you also believe watching a travel channel program on Egypt provides the same experience as visiting the pyramids does. :lol:
Good point but it is the next best thing to being there.

Can you imagine the expense for attending every single show of even one leg of the Never Ending Tour? (If I ever win the lottery I'll be sure to let everyone at Expecting Rain know what its like! :D )

PostPosted: Thu October 15th, 2009, 22:17 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

Depends where you are in the venue, what mood you're in, who's around you, what you've eaten, blah blah.

Lots of factors at play, much as there are with live recordings. Read Paul Williams.

I couldn't be there in 1976 to witness the Hard Rain concert, but I can watch the video of it, or I can listen to the official album.

Hard Rain's a great example of a fantastic live album.

Likewise Leonard Cohen's recent 'Live In London' set. But lets not talk about the sublimity of those performances or we might start thinking maybe Bob Dylan aint that great live anymore......

Let's not talk about Live in London indeed. One of the most boring albums from the last couple of years. And I do love Cohen, this cd just doesn't do it for me.