Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 19:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 2nd, 2009, 01:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

marker wrote:
His masterpiece. It's the song everything else is judged against. For me, his career is either before Tangled or after.

What's odd about that statement is that he wouldn't make another really great record after BOTT for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and in that gap would release a slew of the worst records ever released by any major artist.

I've read that he was influenced (in the way Pet Sounds pushed Macca toward Pepper) by Joni Mitchell's "Blue" (which is her BOTT). The last song on Blue, "The Last Time I Saw Richard," is Joni writing a perfect short story; "Tangled" is Dylan answering with a novel.

The last time I saw Richard was Detroit in '68,
And he told me all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe
You laugh, he said you think you're immune, go look at your eyes
They're full of moon
You like roses and kisses and pretty men to tell you
All those pretty lies, pretty lies
When you gonna realise they're only pretty lies
Only pretty lies, just pretty lies

He put a quarter in the Wurlitzer, and he pushed
Three buttons and the thing began to whirr
And a bar maid came by in fishnet stockings and a bow tie
And she said "Drink up now it's gettin' on time to close."
"Richard, you haven't really changed," I said
It's just that now you're romanticizing some pain that's in your head
You got tombs in your eyes, but the songs
You punched are dreaming
Listen, they sing of love so sweet, love so sweet
When you gonna get yourself back on your feet?
Oh and love can be so sweet, love so sweet

Richard got married to a figure skater
And he bought her a dishwasher and a Coffee percolator
And he drinks at home now most nights with the TV on
And all the house lights left up bright
I'm gonna blow this damn candle out
I don't want Nobody comin' over to my table
I got nothing to talk to anybody about
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin' behind bottles in dark cafes
Dark cafes
Only a dark cocoon before I get my gorgeous wings
And fly away
Only a phase, these dark cafe days

PostPosted: Fri October 2nd, 2009, 09:19 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
marker wrote:
His masterpiece. It's the song everything else is judged against. For me, his career is either before Tangled or after.

What's odd about that statement is that he wouldn't make another really great record after BOTT for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and in that gap would release a slew of the worst records ever released by any major artist.[/i]

What about Desire? SL? SOL? STC? Infidels. Desire is superb, the rest are average to good IMO

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan · The Times They Are a-Changin' · Another Side of Bob Dylan · Bringing It All Back Home · Highway 61 Revisited · Blonde on Blonde · John Wesley Harding · Nashville Skyline · Self Portrait · New Morning · Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid · Dylan · Planet Waves · Blood on the Tracks · The Basement Tapes · Desire · Street-Legal · Slow Train Coming · Saved · Shot of Love · Infidels · Empire Burlesque · Knocked Out Loaded · Down in the Groove · Oh Mercy · Under the Red Sky · Good as I Been to You · World Gone Wrong · Time out of Mind · Love and Theft · Modern Times · Together Through Life · Christmas in the Heart

PostPosted: Sat October 19th, 2013, 23:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oct 2013 & he's still playing it, still singing it, still rewriting it, and he still keeps on keepin' on, heading for another joint...

PostPosted: Mon October 21st, 2013, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Undeniably an absolute classic tune here. Doubt you'd find many Bob fans that would disagree.

PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 04:30 GMT 

This might be a controversial one, but I'm gonna post it anyways...

Back in the merry old year of 2009, Bob strangely only pulled out Tangled 5 times and all by the summer time!!
I haven't heard all of them but they're definitely a little different than the usual Tangled Up renditions...

Here's the very last of the bunch. Starting with a very odd riff, Bob launches in as if he's eating the song whole.
It's a pretty wild version, full of spit & vinegar. Bob definitely sounds like he's very into this version a lot & his harp solo is
a beauty to be marveled....

I hope anyone who's into Modern Bob checks this one out and shares their thoughts on it....
I'd be very interested:)

Rothbury MI
July 5 2009
http://www.sendspace.com/file/riusn3

PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 11:04 GMT 

marker wrote:

Back in the merry old year of 2009, Bob strangely only pulled out Tangled 5 times and all by the summer time!!
I haven't heard all of them but they're definitely a little different than the usual Tangled Up renditions...

Here's the very last of the bunch. Starting with a very odd riff, Bob launches in as if he's eating the song whole.
It's a pretty wild version, full of spit & vinegar. Bob definitely sounds like he's very into this version a lot & his harp solo is

I hope anyone who's into Modern Bob checks this one out and shares their thoughts on it....

Rothbury MI
July 5 2009

A quirky curiosity that's well worth checking out. It sounded a little bizarre in 2008 as well, with this nice jig rhythm and arrangement (check out 4/11 in Minneapolis)! I think this is an example of what Andrew Muir called a 'tick tock' arrangement. The harp playing is quite inspired here though. Rothbury was one of the first boots I ever got, it's an overall quirky show, with plenty of that strange staccato singing style he sometimes adopted.

2009 must have been the year with the least about of Tangled performances since the NET began, I reckon.

Listening to it now - it's quite perverse I know, but this Rothbury performance does crack me up :lol:

PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 11:27 GMT 

marker wrote:

Rothbury MI
July 5 2009

Is it me or does bob sound very angry here? Very quirky version, but the wacky riff in sharp contrast to the vocals has me smiling :D. Harp is superb though.

PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 14:07 GMT 

The 1984 version is unique in that what makes it so funny is knowing the earlier versions. I can think of no other such example in recordings I've heard by anybody. It's like he did a Weird Al on himself, although far funnier than anything Weird Al ever came up with.

PostPosted: Sat May 31st, 2014, 05:35 GMT 

is and always will be one of the greatest songs ever to be written period. it was magical seeing him play it live in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun June 8th, 2014, 03:40 GMT 

jamespadden81 wrote:
but the changing of the 1st and 2nd person does change the song quite a lot. It becomes a story, not a sort of confessional thing...but then flips again.

yes, and is it the only one, performed by anyone, that is presented and changed (on purpose) continually?
TangledUpInBlack wrote:
is and always will be one of the greatest songs ever to be written period.

PostPosted: Mon June 9th, 2014, 04:18 GMT 

I tend to classify Tangled with other epic, multiple-character, romance-fueled narratives like Romance in Durango, Brownsville Girl, and Black Diamond Bay. Each of which far surpasses Tangled, to my mind, lyrically, melodically, and vocally.

(Interesting, also, that each of those was co-authored. Though I don't know if Brownsville Girl is technically listed as co-written, maybe that was just the earlier New Dansville Girl?)

In fact, Tangled could disappear from the catalog and I wouldn't miss it. Not to say it's a bad song. Perhaps on another collection it would shine, but amidst the other marvels of BOTT, it just always paled by comparison for me.

I am fond of the '78 rearrangement, though. After hearing that, I almost NEVER listen to the album version. Looking forward to hearing some of the versions suggested here, though.

PostPosted: Sat July 11th, 2015, 18:34 GMT 

I always liked the shows from 1992...it always sounds like it's the first year of rehabilitation. A year of experimentation,
new collaborators, some successes and some failures but a renewed sense of performance. By the end of 92, Bob was in a great place. Good As I Been To You had just come out and he seemed excited to make music again...
I love the long jams that started this year...with Bucky Baxter joining the group it starts to coalesce into more interesting places that pushed Bob
into more interesting places on stage which he seems to need to grow.

Here's a corker of a Tangled from the end of the year...really a fun version with a wild little harp solo and a very very cool (and it seems impromptu) ending:

Coral Gables FL
November 8 1992
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wzwpg4b ... n_Blue.mp3

And here's a fun Tangled from the beginning of that year in Melbourne Australia I believe:
https://youtu.be/AQCBGBayHZg?t=17m18s

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 02:52 GMT 

Just heard this show for the first time and it's gotta be a unique one in that Bob opens with Tangled...
It's also a rare year where he only performed it twice in 89.
It's a cookin' performance too. Very much in the 88 arrangement,
what sets it apart is that Bob plows through the first 5 verses before taking an instrumental break.
He's also very engaged in the story of this song this night. He enunciates every word which is also
rare for 1989.

Anyway, check out this one. 89 is a very interesting year Bob-wise:

Milano Italy
June 19 1989
http://www.mediafire.com/file/og6dnx5xm ... Blue_1.mp3

PostPosted: Thu April 20th, 2017, 03:28 GMT 

Thanks, marker.

I'm digging this version right now. They get pretty cooking on the jam section. Very good vocal for the period and totally on top of the lyrics!

PostPosted: Mon April 24th, 2017, 02:04 GMT 

I can't listen to the original after hearing the alternating first and third-person narrative perspective of the NY version.

Why he changed the lyrics, I do not know.

PostPosted: Tue April 25th, 2017, 18:03 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
I can't listen to the original after hearing the alternating first and third-person narrative perspective of the NY version.

Why he changed the lyrics, I do not know.

He thought they were successful
She thought they were blessed
With objects and material things
But I never was impressed.

(Love the way he emphasizes "I" here)

It's true, the non-original lyrics have a very... well, raw quality to them which is frankly spellbinding. It does show, much more than the official version, how "true" these songs were and how personal. Perhaps that's why they had to go(?) but in the end I think he made the right call, at least with this track.

Was it on BOTT that he apparently wrote one song that was so incredibly personal, honest and bitter it's basically been burned and everyone who heard it has been sworn to secret? Or am I messing up recording sessions/myths here?

PostPosted: Fri April 28th, 2017, 11:03 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Was it on BOTT that he apparently wrote one song that was so incredibly personal, honest and bitter it's basically been burned and everyone who heard it has been sworn to secret? Or am I messing up recording sessions/myths here?

Sounds a lot like I'm Cold, which was written between Desire and Street-Legal.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

There's something about the malleability of Tangled that allows so much re-invention
throughout the years that it's easy to take this song for granted as a listener.
But as a performer and writer of this great song, Bob has consistently changed this song
so as to find new ways to tell this ageless story effectively.

I first heard the current arrangement in Philly 2014 the same day he did that Ensam Experiment
at the Academy of Music earlier that day.
There's a comfortable coziness the current Set embodies that hasn't really been felt since the
days of the acoustic mini-sets of 97-02 and when the Set finally rolled around to the opening
chords of this Tangled, I got chills for the first time in a long time.

He's so connected and the band follows him implicitly. Just perfection.

Philadelphia PA
November 23 2014
http://www.mediafire.com/file/825oi53h7 ... n_Blue.mp3

The one from Chicago a couple weeks earlier was pretty epic as well:
https://youtu.be/LWq_mEXqmyo

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 21:25 GMT 

The
Ever changing warhorse

Initially ny sessions was
The one off the stage

Then I heard real live

Then I heard marseille 93

Then I heard
Oslo 96 and Shortly
After Berlin from same tour.

Fall 96 added the kemper drums
And the raucousness picked
Up a new element

Then I started following bob on the
Road And the glory of 97-02 versions

But I really really think my go to is
From feb 02. Sunrise/Tampa. Has all the elements that make tangled just right for me

PostPosted: Sat October 28th, 2017, 05:51 GMT 

I agree with marker, this is definitely Dylan's masterpiece. It's probably my favorite song of his and in general, and there's been so many great versions.

BUT

The album version is the perfect version of the song. It can't be topped in my mind. The music, lyrics, and vocal on that take are perfect to me and there's no topping it. I think it's one of his best recordings. Even though that song can be tweaked very easily, and there's a ton of amazing versions, the album version is the best.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

The current versions on the Fall 2017 Tour are certainly unique.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 20:02 GMT 

I think so to, I like how he changes up the lyrics a little bit like "yesterdays xead and gone ,tommorrow might as well be now". In addition the tempo is slower more grunge ballad like and thats nice. Some of his early acoustic live tracks I enjoy more than the album recordings because they seem more raw and at least for me, feels more effortless than album versions. Anyways its nice to hear new renditions. Thanks marker for sharing