Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 23rd, 2014, 18:20 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:35 GMT 

Both were considered come back albums-both are considered to be strangely atmospheric for Dylan, and this can be attributed to the fact that they were both produced by Lanois.

But which one do you prefer?

Personally, I don't get the praise for TOOM. It bores the heck out of me and I can't stand that swampy sound. On the other hand, Oh Mercy sounds clear and intimate. I love it.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

TOOM

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:41 GMT 

Where's the poll and voting buttons?? :?

Oh Mercy for sure. :wink:

I agree with you re: all the praise for TOOM. I like a few of the songs alright, but c'mon - Highlands sends many here into orgasms and it totally bores me.

Oh Mercy is a gem. The songs are wonderful, rich, and warm. The sound is great. The crickets are chirping! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:42 GMT 

I like TOOM a lot more than I like Oh Mercy. I like the way the songs on TOOM flow together to kind of tell one big story. While Oh Mercy has some good songs on it I don't think there as strong as the ones on TOOM. Oh Mercy never grabbed my attention or hit me like TOOM does.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:47 GMT 

TOOM - as the record as it was released
TOOM - considering the outtakes and alternates
TOOM - the live potential of these songs (remember how many of the TOOM songs were rearranged and re-rearranged in many ways. More than three radical altered arrangements of Can't Wait, Tryin' To Get To Heaven and Cold Irons Bound have been performed throughout the years)

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 20:50 GMT 

Landslide win for TOOM. Oh Mercy has some songs in the same league (Ring Them Bells, Most Of The Time, Man In The Long Black Coat, Shooting Star), but the other songs just aren't very good.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 21:24 GMT 

Oh mercy because I like all the songs in it very much. In Time out of mind there's more high and lows. Anyway, two of my favourites.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 21:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

I like Oh Mercy better, though songwise it is a tough call. I think the production on Oh Mercy adds immeasureably to the album's effect whereas I think TOOM might have been better with more straightforward production.

Oh Mercy and Bringing it all Back Home are still my top choices for people who are new to Dylan.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 21:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

TOOM, but if Oh Mercy had used it's best outtakes, it'd be a tougher call. It's amazing the amount of quality work he and Lanois created. I'd put it up against any of his work for another producer.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romeo, he said to Juliet, “You got a poor complexion
It doesn’t give your appearance a very youthful touch!”
Juliet said back to Romeo, “Why don’t you just shove off
If it bothers you so much?"

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 22:08 GMT 

I actually listened to Oh Mercy for the first time in a WHILE yesterday, hoping to get something out of it that I haven't heard before. I honestly just can't get into it. Some of the songs are good, but like someone else said, it doesn't "hit me" or leave any sort of lasting impression. The singing is mostly one-dimensional and a lot of the music sounds very repetitive. Gotta admit, I was bored. :?

Not sure what makes TOOM so much different...the two records do sort of sound alike, but TOOM just has this mystical aura about it that strikes me as very deep and personal. I see TOOM as a dark, rolling landscape, while Oh Mercy is more like a flat, gray wall. My preference may or may not have anything to do with the actual music, it's probably just an intuition thing that's hard to put a finger on.

PostPosted: Mon June 21st, 2010, 22:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:
TOOM, but if Oh Mercy had used it's best outtakes, it'd be a tougher call. It's amazing the amount of quality work he and Lanois created. I'd put it up against any of his work for another producer.

Tom Wilson had a pretty good track record. Though by all accounts he mainly let Dylan do his thing, that approach was a relative rarity at that time and a damn good call.[quote="Warren Peace"]TOOM, but if Oh Mercy had used it's best outtakes, it'd be a tougher call. It's amazing the amount of quality work he and Lanois created. I'd put it up against any of his work for another producer.

Ms. Niece...I feel almost the opposite in grey wall terms, but to each their own. It probably helped that I was 19 when it came out. It was my generation's Dylan, and it still sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 00:01 GMT 

OM was great because it was released after several mediocre albums.
But TOOM is simply great. Near perfect.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 01:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

I like 'em both, but I'll go with Time Out of Mind as the cage match champion here. I like how it feels sorta like one long song about this kinda pathetic guy. I'm not a big fan of the Lanois sound, but I do like how Time sounds so sticky and sluggish and smells a bit rotten.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 01:32 GMT 

That's a tough call now that we have heard all of the quality outtakes from BL# 8. I have my own versions of each album now and I have a greater appreciation for both.

If you throw Dignity, Series of Dreams, God Knows and Born In Time back on OM and take off a few weaker songs then you might have had a top 10 album in 1989. TOOM’s bare bones outtakes are fantastic! Mississippi and Red River Shore are phenomenal. If some of these more straightforward versions were included I think both of these albums would have benefited.

If we are talking official release, I would say that TOOM is the better album. Still love OM though!

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 02:06 GMT 

Both excellent, but it's TOOM for me. At some point in the past I might have answered differently, but damn there's nothing like a little heartbreak and loneliness to really drive home what an incredible and devastatingly poignant piece TOOM is. And what genius to end it with the slightly humorous yet still melancholy masterpiece that is HIGHLANDS!

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 02:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
And what genius to end it with the slightly humorous yet still melancholy masterpiece that is HIGHLANDS!

That is the top of the tops, no question.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 02:43 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
I like 'em both, but I'll go with Time Out of Mind as the cage match champion here. I like how it feels sorta like one long song about this kinda pathetic guy. I'm not a big fan of the Lanois sound, but I do like how Time sounds so sticky and sluggish and smells a bit rotten.

Agreed here. It's not that I don't like the Lanois sound, I just think he can't go into a studio without overdoing it. He's the go-to guy for older performers whose careers need a shot in the arm, I guess because he does that Disneyland Americana thing pretty well. But all those records, Oh Mercy, TOOM, Teatro, Wrecking Ball, I'm sure whatever he does with Neil Young, sound like Lanois is imposing a one-sound-fits-all "swampy" aesthetic on the artist whose name is on the album cover. Sure it often sounds good, but the TOOM outtakes prove that (at least with Dylan) Lanois can be an invasive presence who seems to want to share in the celebrity.
As for the question, TOOM. More dynamic musically despite the repetitiveness. OM is a good album, but the production sounds dated to me. TOOM is certainly overproduced, but at least it's too much of a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 04:19 GMT 

Toom for the bleakness of it's vision. The lyrics ooze with questions of mortality and regret. (He was pretty close to death a year or two before if I recall) Oh Mercy is a great album though and probably stands as his best from the 80's.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 04:29 GMT 

Oh Mercy has more personal resonance for me, as I was completely absorbed by it when it came out. Time Out Of Mind is a great album, but it took me longer to really get into it, and I still find myself preferring live versions of several of the songs to the originals.

As for the production being dated, if "Most of the Time" had been released yesterday, I would still marvel at the way the guitars lurk in the darkness & the bass kind of crawls along next to Bob's voice. For me, that's the album's masterpiece.

"Not Dark Yet" would be the comparable track for me on Time Out Of Mind, and while I can hear some of the same swampy techniques, this time the vocals are more upfront, and the whole thing feels less, well, mysterious to me. That's probably intentional, and rightfully so, as the lyrics are far more direct.

I think there's probably a higher percentage of home runs on TOOM, but OM is closer to my heart. Both fantastic albums, but neither of them is equal Love & Theft, Blood on the Tracks, or Highway 61.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 04:42 GMT 

MOST OF THE TIME is definitely one of the best things he's ever recorded. And everything else on the album is great too, especially MAN IN THE LONG BLACK COAT, SHOOTING STAR, etc. Certainly a close contest. Really, the albums are quite different despite some similarities.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 06:19 GMT 

Could a mod or someone add a poll, is that possible? My bad.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 07:16 GMT 

Time Out of Mind sounds less dated mainly because it doesn't try to sound contemporary and goes for a more classic blues sound. I think the songs, as well as Bob's voice, are more consistent and paint the portrait of a tired, grizzled old man very well.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 07:34 GMT 

"Time Out Of Mind" is far better album as a whole (great flow of songs, how they melt together in even mood).

"Oh Mercy" is slightly more accessible with "Shooting Star" being one of my favs.

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 08:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romeo, he said to Juliet, “You got a poor complexion
It doesn’t give your appearance a very youthful touch!”
Juliet said back to Romeo, “Why don’t you just shove off
If it bothers you so much?"

Um, Warren, there's this guy called Bob Jonhston and he produced Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline and New Morning.

Where's my daily youtube clip?

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 09:57 GMT 

Acutally I don´t think you should compare them.

Sure, there are some similarities (Lanois!) but "Oh Mercy" is a collection of songs while "Time Out Of Mind" is a song cycle. A "concept album", if you will. And in that way it´s a big success.

So the real question should be: BOTT vs. TOOM.

(For me it´s TOOM)