Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 31st, 2014, 10:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 14:57 GMT 

Given the current situation in Iraq with the Isis terrorist organization, and their barbaric practices that are too gruesome to mention here, do you think Bob will ever sing his masterpiece Isis live again?

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 15:00 GMT 

I don't think he was ever going to sing it again anyway.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 15:03 GMT 

Oh, I expect he is in a right old pickle in case anyone in the audience misconceives an allegory invoking an egyptian fertility goddess with an Islamic terrorist outfit. perhaps he can include some kind of preface to the song to make his intentions perfectly clear . . . unless, of course, the song is in reality yet another example of his outstanding prophesy skills (pertaining in particular to the middle east).

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 15:46 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Oh, I expect he is in a right old pickle in case anyone in the audience misconceives an allegory invoking an egyptian fertility goddess with an Islamic terrorist outfit. perhaps he can include some kind of preface to the song to make his intentions perfectly clear . . . unless, of course, the song is in reality yet another example of his outstanding prophesy skills (pertaining in particular to the middle east).

:idea:

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 16:06 GMT 

The first time i heard them mention "ISIS" in the news I was confused...
"What the hell are they talking about Isis for ?"
Even now, when they use that word the first thing I think of is Bob. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 16:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

If Bob Dylan cannot sing one of his best songs any more for fear of upsetting the terrorists the terrorists have won. The way it ought to be is Bob can sing the song any time he pleases.

Furthermore the way it ought to be is instead of the out-dated and ill-conceived Masters of War Bob would come out a new song like Masters of War to reflect the realities of today. That is, if Bob is serious about being in favor of everything good and against everything bad like he is thought to be.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 18:10 GMT 

carnap wrote:
If Bob Dylan cannot sing one of his best songs any more for fear of upsetting the terrorists the terrorists have won. The way it ought to be is Bob can sing the song any time he pleases.

Furthermore the way it ought to be is instead of the out-dated and ill-conceived Masters of War Bob would come out a new song like Masters of War to reflect the realities of today. That is, if Bob is serious about being in favor of everything good and against everything bad like he is thought to be.

He opens most of his current concerts with "Things Have Changed". Is the theme of this song not that such as you suggest is futile? Additionally, GW Bush probably thought he was "in favor of everything good and against everything bad" too. In the unlikely event of anything Dylan might sing would have even the remotest effect politically, it is as probable that the words of this American Jew would simply provoke some bearded Islamist somewhere to cut some child's head off. This is the world as it is. The realisation probably induced Dylan to quit protest music.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 18:50 GMT 

I had assumed that this thread was ironic . . . :!:

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 18:57 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Sorry, but these bastards just don't tickle my funny bone much.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 19:27 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Sorry, but these bastards just don't tickle my funny bone much.

So you take the original question at face value . . . ? (and irony doesn't necessarily imply laughter or even humor--rather incongruity or a mismatch)

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 19:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

I don't think the OP was being ironic.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 19:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

They don't call themselves Isis any more, so Bob should be OK.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 20:32 GMT 

They never called themselves Isis in the first place. That was just the name the western media created to make us remember easier. In fact, these horrible people speak arabic and call themselves “Daash”, which is an acronym for “Dulat al-Islam fi al-Iraq wal-Sham” – “the Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria”

I just cannot see Bob screaming "YES" the way he used to.

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 22:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hey, he wouldn't do Early Roman Kings in Rome...

PostPosted: Sun August 10th, 2014, 23:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mutabor wrote:
They never called themselves Isis in the first place. That was just the name the western media created to make us remember easier. In fact, these horrible people speak arabic and call themselves “Daash”, which is an acronym for “Dulat al-Islam fi al-Iraq wal-Sham” – “the Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria”

Yes, I know - but they now call themselves [the Arabic for] the Islamic State, so it ain't [the Arabic for] I.S.I.S. any more's what I was saying. And yes, they're truly horrible people. And levity on anything that concerns them is tricky.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 02:43 GMT 

I was pondering this question today actually - but not for the reason you mention OP - I was simply wondering what it would sound like.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 02:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
You know you're a Dylan fan if...

The worst thing about an unspeakable tragedy is that it ruins your experience of listening to a 40 year old Bob Dylan song!!

BTW "ISIL" is becoming a more accepted term, which is good. Hopefully the effect of these unfortunate events will not be long lasting - on Dylan fans or anyone else. I said to a young and militantly anti-war friend that it kind of makes you want to blow these people up. He agreed.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 09:56 GMT 

I lately hear a lot about the brutality of ISIS with pictures and videos of people severing heads and so on... While I by no means want to justify or defend ISIS, the hypocrisy of the reporting and the commenting is beyond funny. American planes fly high over a cities and throws bombs sometimes with depleted uranium on people not only severing body parts by kinetic energy like ISIS but also burning people alive and poisoning their ecosystem with radio active uranium dust targeting not only future human generations for hundreds of thousands of years but also the animals that share the ecosystem. the nerve of America to lecture the world about brain washing and barbarism... the arrogance... The difference between severing civilians heads by a sword and a bomb is that a sword is more accurate in killing the intended victim and causes less collateral damage than a x bomb. The other differences are that the videos and pictures are classified and the coward dogs kill from a distance and never look the women and children they slaughter in the eye...

Last edited by crimson flames on Mon August 11th, 2014, 10:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 10:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

kuddukan wrote:
I was pondering this question today actually - but not for the reason you mention OP - I was simply wondering what it would sound like.

Not too different from his '03 take on Romance In Durango, probably.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 11:53 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Or sing "Jesus" on Mic during "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" in Tel Aviv. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 13:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Or elsewhere in Italy, for that matter. It was the one song replaced even in the standard set.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 16:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

kuddukan wrote:

The original Desire version isn't too different from what he's doing today, instrumentally. If approached that way, it could fit into the current set.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 16:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

DylanEgo wrote:
Given the current situation in Iraq with the Isis terrorist organization, and their barbaric practices that are too gruesome to mention here, do you think Bob will ever sing his masterpiece Isis live again?

Given the current state of his voice, I doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 17:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
His ability (or lack of ability) to sing the original melodies in the original keys has never stopped him from doing stuff live, it's never seemed like remotely a factor, so I doubt it is here. For whatever reason, Desire and Street-Legal were mostly left behind within a couple years. Who knows, maybe current events will remind him of the song, and he'll sing it out of spite. Can't let the terrorists win, after all.

PostPosted: Mon August 11th, 2014, 19:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
His ability (or lack of ability) to sing the original melodies in the original keys has never stopped him from doing stuff live, it's never seemed like remotely a factor, so I doubt it is here. For whatever reason, Desire and Street-Legal were mostly left behind within a couple years. Who knows, maybe current events will remind him of the song, and he'll sing it out of spite. Can't let the terrorists win, after all.

Yeah, I know, but "Isis" is such a forceful song.
These days, he sings everything in a whisper.