Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 15:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 00:24 GMT 

Craig Kent writes:

“My friends and I were 17 at the time and one lived in the basement of his parents house. There were five of of this night. We all took some very powerful LSD called White Lightning, smoked some dope and lit a candle as we sat crosslegged on the floor watching the candle. Once the acid kicked in we proceeded with the ritual and dropped the needle on the unplayed record. The bareness of the sound was jarring at first but we all soon noticed a rhythm that was languid and hypnotizing. One of my friends picked up a flashlight and started to turn it on and off in rhythm to the beat with Bob’s voice droning on as he flashed it in our eyes. I actually became hypnotized for the first time while under the influence of LSD and it was not entirely pleasant. Bob’s voice sounded much too calm for all the treachery he was singing about: Frankie Lee and Judas Priest broke my heart and I wept, Wicked Messengers and cruel Landlords scared the hell out of me and I felt I was out in the wilderness hearing a wildcat growl.

I don’t know how long me and my friends sat dazed after the album was over. To say it blew my mind would be an understatement. I was not able to listen to the album again for almost a year I was so afraid just hearing it would pull me back into that hypnotic vortex that I couldn’t escape from.

Maybe I should have gotten counseling but time is the great healer. Nowadays it is one of my favorite Dylan albums, right there in a neck to neck tie with about 20 others.”

I found it here:
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/ ... y-harding/

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 00:49 GMT 

hell of a baptism into the (causal)world dude..i was a kid too..bout same age...but already had a lot of fat trips..and when i really HEARD.jwh..the humanity of it blew me away..it was epic..like a great painting..the old vista-cruiser jes stylin..truth and beauty..tenderness and terror..etc.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 02:03 GMT 

This album is growing on me everyday..

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 02:05 GMT 

"(443): her voice honestly makes me want to vomit. i have springsteen cranked up all the way."

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 02:08 GMT 

Wrong forum.. whoops. :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 03:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

It is one of his seven masterpiece LPs.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 03:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

I hae never needed drugs to appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 04:05 GMT 

Jesus, you freaking boomers.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 04:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wonderful heartwarming story about a hearing a wonderful Dylan album for the first time and almost killing yourself with drugs.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 13:13 GMT 

last time i checked, you couldn't OD on acid.

-justin

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 09:18 GMT 

...and I always thought JWH was the great ANTI-psychedelic record :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 13:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Next week: Nashville Skyline on 'shrooms

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 14:04 GMT 

It's definitely in my top-three of the early albums.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 14:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've listened to Dylan on acid. It doesn't work, the music comes off sounding corny and superficial. The memory of the LSD experience helps if you want to absorb lyrics when you're not tripping.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 16:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Three legged man wrote:
I've listened to Dylan on acid. It doesn't work, the music comes off sounding corny and superficial. The memory of the LSD experience helps if you want to absorb lyrics when you're not tripping.

Sound advice from the Moderator. Don't do LSD. Especially important for the young folks on this board, who might want to emulate the people mentioned in the first post. Although it could have been a little more forceful.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 16:48 GMT 

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 16:59 GMT 

Alcohol and pot are the drugs of choice for most Dylan fans, with good reason, they're both great drugs, though pot is far far safer than alcohol. I was in college when JWH came out. Some kid from Harvard visited us at the time, and he brought an acoustic guitar and started belting out very good versions of songs from the album. I was so jealous. We were sitting around smoking joints, sitting in amazement at another Bob Dylan metamorphosis.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
Alcohol and pot are the drugs of choice for most Dylan fans, with good reason, they're both great drugs, though pot is far far safer than alcohol. I was in college when JWH came out. Some kid from Harvard visited us at the time, and he brought an acoustic guitar and started belting out very good versions of songs from the album. I was so jealous. We were sitting around smoking joints, sitting in amazement at another Bob Dylan metamorphosis.

At least one thing missing from that is: all things in ...

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 17:11 GMT 

Pot is safe? I know that the possibility of Cannabis-induced psychosis hasn't been proven conclusively, but I saw enough in my "wild years" (friends ending up in mental hospitals e.g.) to know that Cannabis is absolutely NOT as harmless as many people say.
Especially seeing that there are quite a few very young kids around here, I think it's irresponsible to talk about drugs as if they were harmless. They aren't, not even pot!

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 17:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

I only had pot once, it was 39 years ago and it was part of my Army training. I've heard that the pot nowadays is a whole order of magnitude stronger than the pot back then.

I agree, Expecting Rain should not promote or condone the use of any type of illegal drugs. Especially with the young people here, many who are gullible, and the fact that Expecting Rain is supposedly supposed to be run by high principles and stuff. Ain't it, Moderators?

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 18:26 GMT 

powerpete wrote:
Pot is safe? I know that the possibility of Cannabis-induced psychosis hasn't been proven conclusively, but I saw enough in my "wild years" (friends ending up in mental hospitals e.g.) to know that Cannabis is absolutely NOT as harmless as many people say.
Especially seeing that there are quite a few very young kids around here, I think it's irresponsible to talk about drugs as if they were harmless. They aren't, not even pot!

What I said was "pot is far far safer than alcohol", which it is. Overdose on alcohol and you can end up in the morgue. OD on pot and you can end up at Taco Bell. We would be better off with no drugs, and in a perfect world, people probably wouldn't want them, but that world is not here yet. Besides, Americans, and most cultures, love drugs, especially alcohol. Those of you in denial of this fact might want to get your heads out of the sand and take a look around.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 18:33 GMT 

I've never listened to 'John Wesley Harding' on acid, but Jimi Hendrix's cover of 'All Along the Watchtower' is probably the greatest song you can hear during a trip. It takes you away.

'Bringing it All Back Home' is a surprisingly good tripping album, especially the acoustic tracks.

By the way, drugs are only bad if you push it too far, which is a very easy thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 18:40 GMT 

powerpete wrote:

then your friends were already crazy. the idea that marijuana can induce psychosis in and of itself is ludicrous. that's what all those anti-marijuana propaganda films from the 1930s were on about and now any medical doctor who you said that to would laugh in your face.

-justin

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 18:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

carnap wrote:
I only had pot once, it was 39 years ago and it was part of my Army training. I've heard that the pot nowadays is a whole order of magnitude stronger than the pot back then.

I agree, Expecting Rain should not promote or condone the use of any type of illegal drugs. Especially with the young people here, many who are gullible, and the fact that Expecting Rain is supposedly supposed to be run by high principles and stuff. Ain't it, Moderators?

PostPosted: Wed June 3rd, 2009, 18:49 GMT 

notdarkyet2 wrote:
powerpete wrote:

then your friends were already crazy. the idea that marijuana can induce psychosis in and of itself is ludicrous. that's what all those anti-marijuana propaganda films from the 1930s were on about and now any medical doctor who you said that to would laugh in your face.

-justin

No, these friends weren't already crazy. Of course it is impossible to blame the pot alone - they definitely were at risk of "going crazy" without the pot, but there can be no doubt about the fact that it was a factor. I was there, I smoked with them, I saw what happened. Don't need a doctor for that.