Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 13:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 12:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

"No doubt in my mind where you belong" is a nice formulation of the thought he is expressing. I felt that way about a girl a long time ago and nothing creepy or bad resulted from it. In fact she's been my wife ever since and I still feel the same way. That's why it works for me. There's a personal connection.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 16:24 GMT 

Certainly, HA, you've considered that the song may in fact be worth more than the sum of its parts?

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 16:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

carnap wrote:
"No doubt in my mind where you belong" is a nice formulation of the thought he is expressing. I felt that way about a girl a long time ago and nothing creepy or bad resulted from it. In fact she's been my wife ever since and I still feel the same way. That's why it works for me. There's a personal connection.

Sweet! And a personal connection indeed. Dylan's songs meet me wherever I am at--which is a bit frightening considering my read of the song. :)

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 16:40 GMT 

This song just goes to show how open to interpretation Dylan's work is. It can be seen as a simple love song, and some enjoy it on that basis while some deplore it. Meanwhile, for some of those for whom a simple love song is "not enough" coming from an artist like Dylan, it can accommodate deeper and/or darker subtexts if applied.

I think a key line of the song is "I know you haven't made your mind up yet," which is something people often say when they mean "no" but for whatever reason can't manage to come right out and say it. So however genuine or feigned his desire to prove his worthiness to her with these noble deeds may be, it's all probably futile. But sometimes it be that way.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 17:07 GMT 

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
[...] It can be seen as a simple love song, and some enjoy it on that basis while some deplore it. Meanwhile, for some of those for whom a simple love song is "not enough" coming from an artist like Dylan, it can accommodate deeper and/or darker subtexts if applied.
[...]

A "simple" love is the most difficult task for a songwriter. As someone once said: "It’s easy to be clever. But the really clever thing is to be simple"

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 17:39 GMT 

Yes, I didn't mean to label myself as being amongst those who can't be satisfied with a simple song, but they are out there. Nor did I mean to imply that MAKE YOU FEEL MY LOVE is necessarily a simple love song. But in reading through a lot of these track talk threads it seems that there is an underlying split that frames such discussions. I've felt myself to be variously in either camp for certain songs. My main observation was that there are many cases where the same work can appeal (or lack appeal) to both camps.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

In this part of this post:

I think a key line of the song is "I know you haven't made your mind up yet," which is something people often say when they mean "no" but for whatever reason can't manage to come right out and say it. So however genuine or feigned his desire to prove his worthiness to her with these noble deeds may be, it's all probably futile. But sometimes it be that way.

I think the girl really has not yet made up her mind. This means the guy still has a chance. And if he plays his cards right, he is going to get her!

This also brings up the fact that the very next line is this:
"But I would never do you wrong"

Which ought to counter what some posters have said in this thread, that the song is creepy or the singer is up to no good. Obviously, if he would never do her wrong then he must not be an evildoer.
:)

Last edited by carnap on Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:22 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:19 GMT 

True enough. I certainly don't feel any malice from the singer. Still, simply not doing someone wrong isn't necessarily all that's required for her to fall in love with you.

That he wants or needs to make her feel his love implies that she doesn't, at least not yet. And that he knows she hasn't made her mind up yet this could imply previous overtures on his part, no doubt gently dissuaded, leading up to this point where we come in. He's already anticipating her response.

Although, I guess he doesn't necessarily have to be trying to get her to fall in love with him per se, maybe he's just trying to have her understand that he loves her one way or another.

Interpretations like this may be significantly influenced by personal experience on the part of the listeners, some of whom might be more inclined to see the singer as a vulnerable figure, some as a benevolent protector or guardian, some as a potential threat, etc.

Last edited by The Mighty Monkey Of Mim on Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:38 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well the guy is trying his best to win her. Since his words are simple, he may very well be a simple type of person, unsophisticated, and I'm guessing she is one of those girls who you put up on a pedestal and feel yourself unworthy to win over. He seems to have an uphill battle and is struggling against all odds. But he is giving it his best shot, in the only way he knows how.

I am feeling a lot of brotherly kinship to this guy and wishing him the best of luck.
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 19:41 GMT 

carnap wrote:
I am feeling a lot of brotherly kinship to this guy and wishing him the best of luck.

This is a good example of a point I edited into my post while you were typing yours:
True enough. I certainly don't feel any malice from the singer. Still, simply not doing someone wrong isn't necessarily all that's required for her to fall in love with you.

That he wants or needs to make her feel his love implies that she doesn't, at least not yet. And that he knows she hasn't made her mind up yet this could imply previous overtures on his part, no doubt gently dissuaded, leading up to this point where we come in. He's already anticipating her response.

Although, I guess he doesn't necessarily have to be trying to get her to fall in love with him per se, maybe he's just trying to have her understand that he loves her one way or another.

Interpretations like this may be significantly influenced by personal experience on the part of the listeners, some of whom might be more inclined to see the singer as a vulnerable figure, some as a benevolent protector or guardian, some as a potential threat, etc.

PostPosted: Mon September 14th, 2009, 22:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Like so many Dylan tunes there are things about the lyric that make a standard, surface reading difficult or impossible to swallow. MAKE you feel my love is, yes, a bit creepy. One of the bigwig Dylan writers said that "there's nothing that I wouldn't do" is a horrid cliche (true) and the fact that he uses the same line twice just shows the creative vacancy of the song...but I've found it impossible to hear it that second time (which follows "I could make you happy, make your dreams come true") without it hammering home the point that one of the things he would do is feed such impossible nonsense to the girl in question OR feed it to the listener. Is it possible that this is one of his "woman as public" type songs? The "winds of change are blowing wild and free" seems to reference his two best known protest songs (I am alone in hearing this?)(followed by "you ain't seen nothing like me yet" typical--where is the arrogant lyric thread?) and the song ending with "I'd go to the ends of the earth for you" could be self-referential as well.

Whether it has any other layers of meaning or not, I'm not attracted enough to the song to listen to it often, some of the live versions, of course, are quite fine. If it was his way of stating within the song itself that he was writing a crappy love song...I guess he laughed his butt off about it because people did have hits with it, something he hadn't provided in quite a while.

PostPosted: Tue September 15th, 2009, 00:37 GMT 

For some reason it's also one of the Dylan songs I find myself singing along with...invariably, intended or not.

PostPosted: Tue September 15th, 2009, 00:59 GMT 

I dig the song.

I read some critique of the song somewhere (help me out here people) that posited that Jesus Christ was the narrator of the song; after reading that I realized that there may be more to this one than meets the ear.

FYI, the Adele version is great.

PostPosted: Tue September 15th, 2009, 02:15 GMT 

I think one of the sappiest songs Dylan has ever written.

PostPosted: Tue September 15th, 2009, 08:47 GMT 

I've always liked this song and Dylan's performance of it. It is one of Dylan's best crafted songs from his late period and probably his most covered late song -- perhaps the only song from his last four albums to break through into the mainstream. However, like Knocking on Heaven's Door, it is a song that brings out the worst kind of sentimentalising schmaltz in the singers who tackle it & it is refreshing to return to Dylan's version and find him singing it without a shred of sentiment. When I hear Garth Brooks, Kelly Clarkson or Billy Joel sing it, I hear a charming love song about two people who are very happy with each other. When I hear Dylan sing it, I know that Dylan (thinks he) could offer a warm embrace, could hold her for a million years, could make her happy and her dreams come true -- but this will never happen because she doesn't want his love.

PostPosted: Thu July 26th, 2012, 07:17 GMT 

WOW! I totally forgot about this great thread, but I just had to
post this gorgeous version I've just listened to from the Freddy Koella year of 2004....
Bob delivers this one perfectly and Freddy's solo is killer...
What a great song!!!

Detroit MI
March 16 2004
(Be sure to turn it down before turning it up...It's quite loud off the bat!!)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v5jht8

Enjoy and post your comments ER!!

Tempest is sailing toward us!!!

PostPosted: Thu July 26th, 2012, 23:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Freddy could make anything beautiful... the man knew how to play Bob's songs. And while I like his solo albums and music, they don't feel like he's engaged as intensely as he was when he played for Bob.

The entire March 16th show from Detroit is a keeper. Make You Feel My Love is an "okay" song in my book but Freddy (along with Bob and the remainder of His Band) made it special.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 07:38 GMT 

This version from a few months ago is breathtakingly beautiful. The piano is used
in such a lovely and subtle way. It compliments Bob's intimate delivery of this song and the band perfectly responds in kind.
It's great to hear IMO because the song has lost its gentle beauty over the years.
Here Bob re-connects with the original sentiment of the song which I've always truly loved over the years...
oh, and he kills the harp solo midway thru:)

Montreal Canada
November 16 2012
http://www.sendspace.com/file/uavjod

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 09:11 GMT 

What sets BD apart is that he is able to write both very complex, difficult, idiosyncratic songs, and simple, seemingly easy, universal songs. The latter are usually the ones that become standards and can be performed by many incredibly different singers. Make You Feel My Love is one of those, and I bet that most songwriters would be deliriously happy to be able to write one like this once in a while. I like it, like I like Lay Lady Lay, or Knocking On Heaven's Door, which have also been very popular, and despised by hipsters for being so simple.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 09:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

The lyric has always struck me as an exercise in writing in cliché.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 10:03 GMT 

Many of BD's lyrics are exercises in cliches, in different ways. For songs like MYFML, unlike other Dylan songs, it is not about subverting cliches or playing with them, but about imbuing cliches with meaning. Brooks, Joel, Adele, Clarckson, Mouskouri, Ferry, and many others found that meaning in their own way, sometimes unbearably sentimental, sometimes not bad at all. BD's versions, studio and live, have enough grit to show that those cliches can express human feelings, although, clearly, not thoughts. We are NOT pure minds, you know, but also hearts and bodies.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 14:51 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I like to sing this song whilst queuing at my local supermarket check-out... I sing it to entice and excite the till-ladies... but to add a touch of eroticalness to the performance, I like to sing it why doing a Michael Jackson crotch dance... but that's just the way I am. I'm quite an erotic guy.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 15:28 GMT 

:lol:

Having recently worked as a grocery store cashier, I would love to have seen a customer do that. Would've made my day. HA.

I'm glad this thread was revived, because MYFML is "our song", my bf & me. My bf isn't a big Dylan fan, but this is one of the songs he absolutely loves (I've always loved it too). A lot of times, I'm listening to Dylan while he's otherwise engaged & I don't think he's listening, but sometimes he surprises me & says, "Oh, I really liked that last song, what's it called?" or something like that.

This is what happened with MYFML. We got into the car one day & I reached for my CD's & he asked me, "Do you have that Bob Dylan song where he sings 'make you feel my love'? I really love that one." I was surprised because that actually was the first time he'd mentioned a BD song & requested one & I had no idea he even listened when I was listening. So I said, "Yeah" and played it. And he said, "I would love to be able to sing that song to you."

And so it became our song. So there's a deep personal connection to that song for me.

In fact, for Valentine's Day, my bf hid notes all over the house for me to find randomly when going about my daily life, and some of the notes have written out stanzas from MYFML. Very sweet.

Yes, I admit the song can be a bit creepy, and the narrator of the song - it does seem that he's trying for a girl who's "out of his league" it seems. But it comes off as so sweet and so passionate. I haven't heard the covers by other artists - I'm sure other artists have a tendency to make it too schmaltzy & sentimental, just as other artists covering Knockin' on Heaven's Door tend to make that song too bombastic & overwrought.

BTW, I also noticed the reference to 2 of BD's most famous songs in "The winds of change are blowin' wild & free" and love it...love the way his voice sounds in the studio version on that line. I do think a strong case can be made for this song in the "audience as woman" interpretation.

In the studio version, I also love the way he sings the word "rollin'" in "The storms are ragin' on the rollin' sea"...and you notice, there too, name checking two more of his most famous songs.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 15:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

I agree that the cliches are purposeful. I always took it as sung from the perspective of one who has bought into Hallmark and Hollywood (and Victoria Secret and the ad industry), which sells versions of romantic love that distract us from Truth. It makes total sense that it would be covered by performers who are mouthpieces of that industry.

PostPosted: Tue February 19th, 2013, 16:55 GMT 

Even Bobby can be included in that camp, having shilled for Victoria's Secret. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next