Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I’m not sleepy and there is no place I’m going to
Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I’ll come followin’ you

'My thoughts, my personal needs have always been expressed through my songs; you can feel them there even in ‘Mr Tambourine Man’.
Bob Dylan

'Even a song like Mr. Tambourine Man really isn’t a fantasy. There’s substance to the dream. Because you’ve seen it, you know? In order to have a dream, there’s something in front of you. You have to have seen something or have heard something for you to dream it. It becomes your dream then.'
Bob Dylan

Where would we be without Mr. Tambourine Man?? We all have our own interpretations and personal feelings about Mr. Tambourine Man. For me, the song has been a guide throughout my journey, a 'roadmap for the soul' so to speak....
The song speaks of creativity and the wellspring it comes from...There's a world-weary joy to the song and one that speaks to the true nature of Bob Dylan IMO.
The song has always been a source of hope and joy for me....

There are so many amazing versions throughout the years....

Newport 1964
http://youtu.be/OeP4FFr88SQ

Bringing It All Back Home

Bootleg 4: Royal Albert Hall
http://youtu.be/BUuPo1zHo0k

Bootleg 5: Rolling Thunder 1975
http://youtu.be/BUuPo1zHo0k

But of course being the NET fan that I am, I have to give my personal crown to the arrangement and performances of 1995.
An incredible year for the song, Bob delivered the song sweetly and intimately as he never had prior....
Without the distraction of an instrument to play, Bob focused into these lyrics with a piercing honesty and night after night,
this song was a highlight.

The finest, of course, being the third of the year:

Prague Czechoslovakia
March 13 1995
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lngzwq

The runner up that year has to be Birmingham.
Here's video of the performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A9dZ8Sy ... aa3_TaUQNw

PLEASE share your thoughts on this very special song

Finally, I wanna thank y'all for sharing your thoughts on these many songs...I love hearing everybody's history and feelings on all these performances that we all love so much from our man....
It's a great joy to visit this website and y'all everyday. THANK YOU KARL ERIK AND MODS!!!....and of course, the Mez:)

PostPosted: Thu November 14th, 2013, 23:57 GMT 

Classic song, I don't know what could be said about it that hasn't been said time and time again by Dylan fans, but yeah...wonderful tune.

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 01:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

Beautiful melody, exquisite words. I don't think anything I could say would possibly do it justice.

Aside from all of the versions Marker has mentioned, I quite love the one from Seattle, in March (I think) of '05. It's pretty remarkable to these ears.

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 01:28 GMT 

Very special song. As Marker said, the 1995 renditions were always so sweet and intimate.

My all-time favorite has to be 21 June 1995 in Philadelphia, where he sings it so softly and sweetly then punctuates the song with a piercing, mind-bending harmonica solo. It has to be one of my favorite Dylan performances ever: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5nrtrl

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 02:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
This song was also a wonder to behold in 1993, long harp solos and a magic, skippy rhythm...a joy almost everytime out of the gate. I could listen to a whole cd of '93's. The Madison 1991 version is special also. Around 2002 he apparently decided it would be more fun to sing if he dropped lines out of it, and while I'm normally happy to indulge 'ol Bob, on this song I just can't abide such silliness. As for the song itself, it never gets old for me. Bruce Langhorn's guitar on the original cut is pretty damn charming, too, that version almost HAS to kick off the greatest album side in history.

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 02:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
But...

Have a listen to Tambourines Are From Barcelona:
http://www.totom.dj/index.php?2009/06/1 ... lan-mashed

I think even Dylan himself might have to like this one.

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 04:49 GMT 

Like A Thin Man wrote:
Very special song. As Marker said, the 1995 renditions were always so sweet and intimate.

My all-time favorite has to be 21 June 1995 in Philadelphia, where he sings it so softly and sweetly then punctuates the song with a piercing, mind-bending harmonica solo. It has to be one of my favorite Dylan performances ever: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5nrtrl

This voice. Bring it back please Bob!!!!

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 08:04 GMT 

Hey me tambourine man where are thee? Is that guy still around? He used to post in here all the time and his posts were excellent. Haven't seen the user name in ages, suppose that happens alot.

PostPosted: Mon November 18th, 2013, 17:37 GMT 

This song has special significance for me. Without it I wouldn't even exist.

PostPosted: Mon November 18th, 2013, 20:59 GMT 

One of Bob's very finest and that's saying a lot. Easily among my top 10 Dylan songs. The floating version of BS5 is beautiful, as are those from 95.

PostPosted: Tue November 19th, 2013, 04:27 GMT 

theunwavedhand wrote:

Did your parents conceive you while listening to it? Or was it like a song that helped you deal with depression at some point in your life? I assume it has to be one of those two options, but if it's something else by all means enlighten us.

PostPosted: Tue November 19th, 2013, 06:05 GMT 

Every line is absolutely perfect, but I've always loved "Let me forget about today until tomorrow"

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 20:40 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
theunwavedhand wrote:

Did your parents conceive you while listening to it? Or was it like a song that helped you deal with depression at some point in your life? I assume it has to be one of those two options, but if it's something else by all means enlighten us.

Um, neither, I'm afraid. The clue is in my username.

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 21:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

theunwavedhand wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:

Um, neither, I'm afraid. The clue is in my username.

Well the line is, "Yes to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free"

Sooooooo....... since you're the unwavedhand........per se unfree, tethered......could you be in the big house um incarcerated.
Perhaps you're being held against your will on a deserted island. Am I getting warm?

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 00:02 GMT 

andersma wrote:
Every line is absolutely perfect, but I've always loved "Let me forget about today until tomorrow"

Yeah it's one of those perfect songs. No line is filler. Sometimes I listen to it and have a holy shit, what a poet moment. Evening's empire returning into sand for example. What a beautiful and fantastic image.

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 16:36 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
Sooooooo....... since you're the unwavedhand........per se unfree, tethered......could you be in the big house um incarcerated.
Perhaps you're being held against your will on a deserted island. Am I getting warm?

Quite warm. I have always seen that image of one hand waving free as the essence of creativity, art, the muse, etc. No hands would be ungiving while both hands would be wild abandon. One hand is a balance of freedom and control. It was this image that first made me realise that Dylan is an artist and not just a songmaker. But I am definitely not the expressive hand, merely the plodder. I'm even frightened of the haunted trees. I once wrote a bunch of stuff about Dylan's art called One Hand Waving Free, but it all got wiped when the computer crashed. Probably just as well.

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 00:44 GMT 

Just in case anyone is interested, for me this song holds a very special significance which I write about in this little piece I wrote, I already posted a link to my blog but I'd really like to know how people feel about my interpretation and what they think about this beautiful song, after all doesn't the beauty of dylan lie in how each song can mean something different to each one of us based on how differently we read into his words, I don't know, for me at least thats part of It :)

anyways, if anyone would like to give it a read, http://pleaseplayasongforme.wordpress.c ... he-boss-2/

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 05:55 GMT 

I like the Budokan version.

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 10:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

9 February 1999, Dayton Ohio
Nice Mr. Tambo.

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 11:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Need to revisit the '93 performances (and a few others, I'm sure) but off the top of my head, my favorites are from Spring 2005 with Elana Fremmerman (now James) on violin... they were a slow lullaby that nearly brought tears. Stunningly beautiful in every way.

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 14:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Towson 2000 is a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frOfxB4-c28

And I'd agree with UP and Smoke--the early 1993 versions are nice. The one from the boot Apollo Landing (Feb 8, '93) gets a lot a play for me--but they are all similar from that tour, with lovely guitar interludes, buoyant harmonica.

And also those spring 2005 versions are wonderful; sort of dirge-like but also in their own way, celebratory. Hunter S. Thompson passed away in February of 2005, and as Mr. Tambourine Man was his stated favorite Dylan song (and played at his funeral, I believe?), I wondered perhaps if this arrangement was in his honor. Here's a gorgeous Tambourine Man from Seattle in March of 2005.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bot3lr

My absolute favorite Mr. Tambo is from Sheffield, 1966. I even prefer it to the original on BIABH.

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 22:18 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:

And also those spring 2005 versions are wonderful; sort of dirge-like but also in their own way, celebratory. Hunter S. Thompson passed away in February of 2005, and as Mr. Tambourine Man was his stated favorite Dylan song (and played at his funeral, I believe?).

Yep. It was played while his ashes were thrown into the air from a doubled-fist monument, as he wished. Johnny Depp paid the funeral ($5M i think).

PostPosted: Sun June 1st, 2014, 22:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think I would put Mr. Tambourine Man ahead of every other song by Bob from 1962 up until Tangled Up In Blue came out. That includes putting it ahead of Like A Rolling Stone. Like A Rolling Stone is fine but it is in fact sort of nasty and you have to be in the right mood to appreciate it, whereas Mr. Tambourine Man can be appreciated any time. It is a really wonderful song, maybe even a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon June 2nd, 2014, 10:35 GMT 

carnap wrote:
I think I would put Mr. Tambourine Man ahead of every other song by Bob from 1962 up until Tangled Up In Blue came out. That includes putting it ahead of Like A Rolling Stone. Like A Rolling Stone is fine but it is in fact sort of nasty and you have to be in the right mood to appreciate it, whereas Mr. Tambourine Man can be appreciated any time. It is a really wonderful song, maybe even a masterpiece.

Logically, then (as befits Mr Carnap), since Mr. Tambourine Man is better than every other song between 1962 and Tangled Up In Blue, including LARS, and since "maybe even a masterpiece" leaves it an open question whether Dylan's best song of that period is a masterpiece at all, it's your position that Dylan may possibly have not written a single masterpiece between 1962 and Tangled Up In Blue?

I actually tend to agree that Dylan did not (could not have?) written any masterpieces prior to BOTT. I don't think he truly mastered his own craft until that album.

I would give the title to "Idiot Wind" before "Tangled", myself, though.

Also, I'm not sure it's a requirement for a masterpiece to be appreciable at any time, in any mood. Many, myself included, would say that its "nastiness" is a huge part of what makes LARS such a tremendous song/pop culture event.

PostPosted: Mon June 2nd, 2014, 10:49 GMT 

My only issue with what should be one of the greatest songs ever written is the chorus of the song. I mean...Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me...what kind of a song is anyone likely to play on a tambourine, for goodness sake!

"Hey Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me. 'Fly Me to The Moon' would be good."

Jingle...jangle

"Don't know that one, eh? How about 'Cry Me a River'?"

Jingle...jangle

"Oh dear. 'Peggy Sue', perhaps?"

Jingle...jangle

"Oh forget it. Hey, Mr Violin Man, play a song for me..."

Sure. You name it, I'll play it.