Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 24th, 2014, 00:12 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 01:33 GMT 

Maybe the argument is a tad moot at this point, but I'd like to explore the similarities between Bob and Woody Allen.

Both changed their names and created a stage persona, veiling the real person we shall never know, maybe even after they're gone
Both were "born" into Jewish families
Both got their start in Greenwich Village, New York
Both have never been to jail or prison...that we know of
Woody Allen made Stardust Memories and Bob wrote similarly charged songs such as "Positively 4th Street," "Ballad of a Thin Man," and "Like a Rolling Stone."
Both had a late career renaissance.

There's more but I'm too tired to list them.

I know Woody was asked about Bob before in one of his conversation books, but I cannot remember which one. Bob did namecheck Allen in Chronicles...and when Bob cursed the audiences seeing Renaldo and Clara, he mentioned it wasn't Star Wars, but he never touched Annie Hall.

Discuss!

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 02:08 GMT 

Woody did "Love and Death"
Bob did "Love and Theft"

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 03:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Of course there's that scene in Annie Hall with Shelly Duvall playing a Rolling Stone(?) reporter...

REPORTER
I think there are more people here to see the Maharishi than there were to see the Dylan concert. I covered the Dylan concert ... which gave me chills. Especially when he sang "She takes just like a woman And she makes love just like a woman Yes, she does And she aches just like a woman But she breaks just like a little girl."

ALVY rolls his eyes.

You catch Dylan?

ALVY
(Coughing)
Me? No, no. I-I couldn't make it that ni- My-my raccoon had hepatitis.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 05:09 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
Of course there's that scene in Annie Hall with Shelly Duvall playing a Rolling Stone(?) reporter...

REPORTER
I think there are more people here to see the Maharishi than there were to see the Dylan concert. I covered the Dylan concert ... which gave me chills. Especially when he sang "She takes just like a woman And she makes love just like a woman Yes, she does And she aches just like a woman But she breaks just like a little girl."

ALVY rolls his eyes.

You catch Dylan?

ALVY
(Coughing)
Me? No, no. I-I couldn't make it that ni- My-my raccoon had hepatitis.

This is true, but I believe Allen would appreciate some of Dylan's more swingy numbers of late. Also, it was 1977...people were still hanging onto Just Like a Woman?

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 08:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

I doubt that Allen gives a toss about Dylan's music.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 10:35 GMT 

Bob Dylan in under rated.
Woody Allen is over rated.

Bob Dylan has a daughter.
Woody Allen married his daughter.

Bob Dylan is a legendary human rights activist.
Woody Allen is a comedian.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 13:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

id rather eat one of those flying fish the poor people in france eat than ever again THINK of attending a woody allen movie.

the adventures of gumball id rather watch, more real than the movies where he makes himself irresistable to women, the original kramer. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 13:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

chrome horse wrote:

:lol: :lol:

On what planet?

I don't think Woody cares a whit about Dylan, or rock music in general. It really has nothing to do with whether his movie are good. Let's not turn this into another "if you don't love Bob Dylan your own work must be worthless" threads.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 14:12 GMT 

smoke wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

On what planet?

Not the one you're on.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 14:21 GMT 

smoke wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

I don't think Woody cares a whit about Dylan, or rock music in general. It really has nothing to do with whether his movie are good. Let's not turn this into another "if you don't love Bob Dylan your own work must be worthless" threads.

I agree.

Woody is more of a jazz-fan, or appears to be.

Interesting though (esp. compared to 1977's Annie Hall) is that he has a poster of Dylan on his wall in Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989). Here's a still:

I was watching the film a couple of days ago. I like his work a lot. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 14:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

chrome horse wrote:

Not the one you're on.

You mean the one where "activists" act? Dylan has thumbed his nose at activism for nearly 50 years. I'm not saying he never lifts a finger or is a bad person, but he's an artist not an activist and he takes great pains to avoid even commenting on most issues. He's a legendary performer and songwriter and has stated publically that is all he wishes to be, aside from being good to his family and creator and such. Back to Woody...

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 15:01 GMT 

smoke wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Not the one you're on.

You mean the one where "activists" act? Dylan has thumbed his nose at activism for nearly 50 years. I'm not saying he never lifts a finger or is a bad person, but he's an artist not an activist and he takes great pains to avoid even commenting on most issues. He's a legendary performer and songwriter and has stated publically that is all he wishes to be, aside from being good to his family and creator and such. Back to Woody...

No, he is an esoteric activist, which may be beyond your grasp. The Medal of Freedom was not awarded him(last year) for minor input on the issue. His message of freedom still reverberates, and inspires people, around the world. Of course, as you well know, there are still a large number of deaf AND dumb people....

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 15:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob played the Apollo, he came conquered and moved on, woody if he was invited to play the apollo would have first to make several of those therapy movies as a preparation and then afterwards several more guilt therapy movies to be able to get over it. 45 years hell be kvetching over the thing.
:shock:

Bob has been given many awards for his good work. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 15:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

chrome horse wrote:
No, he is an esoteric activist, which may be beyond your grasp. The Medal of Freedom was not awarded him(last year) for minor input on the issue. His message of freedom still reverberates, and inspires people, around the world. Of course, as you well know, there are still a large number of deaf AND dumb people....

I've never heard the term esoteric activist, but if that works for you it works for me.

goombay wrote:
Bob played the Apollo, he came conquered and moved on, woody if he was invited to play the apollo would have first to make several of those therapy movies as a preparation and then afterwards several more guilt therapy movies to be able to get over it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 15:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Woody may like Dylan. Who knows. The character he was playing in Annie Hall is separate from Woody. They share a number of common literary references, allusions, inspirations. They are different in one large way to me--Dylan is constantly changing. Woody is much more static.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 23:57 GMT 

Wow, finally a thread about my favorite musician and favorite filmmaker! Haha. Both tackle serious themes with wit, charm, and a unique perspective. Neither is afraid of the big issues, but both are willing to make very simple statements as well. Both are titans of twentieth century/twenty-first century Western art.

PostPosted: Fri August 2nd, 2013, 23:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dylan is constantly changing. Woody is much more static.

Great point. Dylan has reinvented himself any number of times.
I love Woody's work too, but it is more static.

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 03:58 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
Wow, finally a thread about my favorite musician and favorite filmmaker! Haha. Both tackle serious themes with wit, charm, and a unique perspective. Neither is afraid of the big issues, but both are willing to make very simple statements as well. Both are titans of twentieth century/twenty-first century Western art.

Well put! And both continue to grow as artists. I saw Dylan's jones beach show a few days ago and 3 nights later saw woody's excellent new film. Blue jasmine.

Both artists are not afraid to be themselves and stay true to what motivates them in the first place. Both titans of their art forms. Both certainly inspire me and lots of other folks too...

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 04:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

How about a Woody Allen film starring Bob Dylan...

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 05:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Premise:

Bob and Woody are walking down the street in NYC. Bob spies a hot dog cart and is about to tell Woody to hold on hes going to get himself a frankfurter, but in a flash of insight Bob realizes in his minds eye that if he says hes gonna buy a frankfurter, Woody is going to turn the movie into a 2 hr symposium re the psycologyical pitfalls of buying a hot dog while talking to a man named Woody.
Bob decides to bypass buying the hot dog for the time being, realizing Woody has an appointment with his therapist in 20 min, when he can come back and eat his frankfurter in peace.
Movie over. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 05:09 GMT 

:)
goombay wrote:
Premise:
Bob and Woody are walking down the street in NYC. Bob spies a hot dog cart and is about to tell Woody to hold on hes going to get himself a frankfurter, but in a flash of insight Bob realizes in his minds eye that if he says hes gonna buy a frankfurter, Woody is going to turn the movie into a 2 hr symposium re the psycologyical pitfalls of buying a hot dog while talking to a man named Woody.
Bob decides to bypass buying the hot dog for the time being, realizing Woody has an appointment with his therapist in 20 min, when he can come back and eat his frankfurter in peace.
Movie over. :roll:

maybe woody should direct anthony weiner for that one

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 06:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Somehow I overlooked this thread over at the comedian one...

Warren Peace wrote:
Bob v. Woody Allen comes up fairly regularly. I wonder why that is. They're both incredibly prolific, with an insane work ethic well into their twilight years. Both came back after a slump period with strong work that catapulted them back into the public consciousness(ish). Both manage to be surprising despite working in the parameters of a well-defined sandbox. Allen has indicated recently that he'd be open to returning to standup, incidentally.

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 18:44 GMT 

Both Bob and Woody chose the name Dylan, Bob for himself and Woody for his son.

PostPosted: Sun August 4th, 2013, 09:09 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Bob Dylan in under rated.
Woody Allen is over rated.

Bob Dylan has a daughter.
Woody Allen married his daughter.

Woody Allen is a comedian.

1. Bob Dylan is not underrated , he's known everywhere in the world as possibly the greatest musician . Maybe for the wrong reasons but still. You can't except wide audiences to "get" an artist . That doesn't make them underrated .
2. Woody Allen is not overrated . I have a feeling he's underrated in the US , you guys seem to be talking about his " early funny ones " when you're referring to his films .

3 and 4 . Sick of that purist bullshit . He did not marry his own daughter . People are idiots . And even if he had indeed married his own daughter , that's irrelevant to what we're discussing . And i don't care one bit , anyway . He could have married his own son as far as i'm concerned . About ethics and art , you might consider reading the preface of Picture of Dorian Grey , by Oscar Wilde . It really says it all .

5. He's not a "legendary political activist" . He wrote two political records . Legendary yes , legendary songs in them . Dylan is an artist . He wrote revolutionary music . That doesn't make him an activist . And even if we assumed that he was indeed an " activist " in the first three years of his career or so , i'm not even sure he's left wing anymore . He's said some awful things , ( during the Christian period for example ) . Sad but true . It doesn't matter to me though , because Dylan is above all a performer . I've often thought that what he does resembles comedy . He chooses a character and he becomes him . Anyway , that's just a thought that i've been having . I really don't know about that ..
6. They're both artists , what do you mean ? Is comedy a lowest form of art ?

PostPosted: Sun August 4th, 2013, 13:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

we might as well officially name Woody the greatest bluesman america has ever produced. :roll:

white bluesman of course. :lol: