Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat February 13th, 2016, 17:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2011, 21:25 GMT 

Although this show (or something from it) seems to come up all of the time in favorites lists, I've never seen anyone mention the way Bob dissed Larry during it.

It came during Senor, which started out with Larry on fiddle. All was going well until Larry squelched a couple notes during a solo (you can hear it on the recording). Bob gave him a look that would melt a crowbar. Then, at the end of the solo, he kicked him off fiddle and sent him over to the pedal steel. Larry kept a mostly professional face on, but it was clear that he was fairly bewildered and for the rest of the performance he just sat behind the pedal steel with his picks, looking at Bob blankly. During the following (final) instrumental passage, Bob gave Charlie the nod to solo, and, after it was clear that Charlie was fresh out of ideas, he ran over and grabbed a harmonica for a super-short, half-assed solo to finish.

It totally broke the mood of the show, which, until then, had been excellent. After Senor, Bob seemed rather distracted and distant. During Like A Rolling Stone, Bob zoned out during the final chorus and messed it up pretty good. Then, near the end of Forever Young, either Larry or Charlie started singing the chorus one time too many--they cut it off after only a word or two, of course, but that ticked Bob off even more, he left the stage completely at the end of it, and didn't come back out until the band was well into Rainy Day Women. Then there was all kinds of conversation between him and Larry and stagehands until finally Bob decided to sing a verse.

There was one more noticeable blunder, Not Fade Away, which fell apart and ended badly.

For the record, this was still one of the best Bob shows I've seen, definitely the best setlist, and the opening acoustic set was for the ages. But when I see people rave about it I always think of how dicey the second half was. It was definitely a "you had to be there" type scenario.

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2011, 21:30 GMT 

I chuckled when I read, a few years ago, a comment by Larry that he "didn't yet have the words" to describe what it was like playing and touring with Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2011, 21:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nice story :)

It's nice to read first-hand accounts :)

Yes, most Bob concerts you have to be there :)

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 00:50 GMT 

Location: Lower Slobbovia, Slob Nobbin' with the common Bob Slobs
Great story.

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 02:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes, great story! Gotta say, though, I don't hear a drop off in at least the first few songs after Senor--Man of Peace sounds on fire to me, and as good as that song gets, and then a gorgeous, melancholic NET best I Want You followed by a This Wheel's on Fire that hits just the right groove. He does sound a little distant on Don't Think Twice, Rolling Stone and Forever Young--but the band sure sounds like it's doing it's best to stay present, front and forward. Yeah, acoustic set is stunning--hard to top--'spose maybe Bob blamed Larry for pulling him out of the zone.

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 03:49 GMT 

Yeah I hear that in Señor for sure. Larry is all over the place there.

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 11:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Great story, great show, how ironic that the Senor you mentioned is one of many people's favorites.

Dylan was quoted on his bus after Madison '91 saying "that was a useless gig" and of course it's many peoples favorite show of the year...go figure...

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 22:49 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Great story, great show, how ironic that the Senor you mentioned is one of many people's favorites.

For the most part, it's pretty good. The fiddle problem stands out to my ears, and Bob sounds a little deflated after that, but otherwise it's a nice performance.

PostPosted: Fri May 20th, 2011, 22:51 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
I chuckled when I read, a few years ago, a comment by Larry that he "didn't yet have the words" to describe what it was like playing and touring with Dylan.

That's hilarious! Gives me all kinds of images.

PostPosted: Sat May 21st, 2011, 20:05 GMT 

It ain't Orange Blossom Special Larry

PostPosted: Thu June 23rd, 2011, 07:59 GMT 

I am also a fan for this show

PostPosted: Sun October 11th, 2015, 02:16 GMT 

I found this by happy accident (YouTube is awesome). Does Bob really take Larry to the woodshed? Decide for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6C3o1JlU

PostPosted: Sun October 11th, 2015, 14:19 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
I am a big fan of '99, a super NET year!

PostPosted: Sun October 11th, 2015, 18:42 GMT 

Watched the video. Dylan's definitely on stage when Rainy Day Women starts, though it does look like he's trying to figure something out before the first verse starts, which it does right on time after the intro. It's a great show and with that little bit of added tension it makes for some interesting moments. Larry and his wife were recently interviewed by Rolling Stone and he talks about his time with Dylan.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... 917?page=2

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 12:37 GMT 

Doesn't look anywhere near as scathing as when Bob just leant on his piano before wandering off while Duke took a solo a couple years back!

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 18:28 GMT 

warnick wrote:
I found this by happy accident (YouTube is awesome). Does Bob really take Larry to the woodshed? Decide for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX6C3o1JlU

I didn't see anything.

Great concert!!
Child's balloons indeed!
Awesome setlist!
Love the hero hiding when the Security Goons strolled past.

- nate

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 18:32 GMT 

meuse2208 wrote:
I am a big fan of '99, a super NET year!

Agreed.