Promethium Member

^amazing, and it's only begun.

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2012, 15:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Found this nice blog this morning

http://tuffley.wordpress.com/article/de ... 5gdhya0-2/

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2012, 16:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

The genius - or madman - that is John Cooper Clarke took his visual cues from SpeedBob '66 and updated Desolation Row for the northern slum dwellers of the late seventies with the utterly perfect and perfectly uttered Beasley Street (here renamed Beezley Street for some reason):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euD0o0x-jAo

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2016, 06:12 GMT 

From one of the longest shows of Bob's long career comes this
epic version of one of Bob's longest songs....
It's an amazing version where they play for so long that the instincts kick in
and improvisation is bound to happen especially on these long-form instrumentals...
Bob sounds so great here. 'The Phantom Of The Opera' verse is so wonderfully sung here
and Bucky's slide solo that directly follows it is simply gorgeous.
Bob's harp solo is so expressive here it sounds as important as the sung verses...
I always loved the 'breakdown' endings of 1993 and this one is no exception. Just love it!!!
This is a version I'll be listening to for awhile:)

June 29 1993
Marseilles France
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6gl1d ... on_Row.mp3

And here's incredible footage from the version from the Hammersmith earlier in the year...
truly amazing:
https://youtu.be/LOON0xbscaU?t=48m58s

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2016, 08:51 GMT 

When and where did Bette Davis put her hands in her back pockets?

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2016, 09:57 GMT 

Bette Davis style... maybe he was thinking in something like this

PostPosted: Mon June 12th, 2017, 09:29 GMT 

The electric arrangement from 2003 is one of my favorite reimaginings of a classic Bob Dylan song. Berlin, 20th October 2003, is probably the most inspired version with some great singing. London, 15th November 2003, is also worth a listen, it features the Dr. Filth verse.

PostPosted: Mon August 21st, 2017, 06:26 GMT 

Birmingham 1995-04-02

PostPosted: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 19:21 GMT 

I'd nominate the Cutting Edge (Deluxe) version with the wonderful piano playing (although I can't actually decide whether I think piano or acoustic guitar suits the song best).
Hearing him change the last lines from "Not unless you mail them from" to "Unless, of course, you mail them from Desolation Row" serves as a perfect example as to how Bob altered his lyrics at the time from incomparably brilliant to incomparably brilliant only in a slightly different way. I mean, come on - you can't possibly TOP Desolation Row as a poem set to music, and Bob is the only one who managed - and will ever manage - to EQUAL the genius of these lyrics. For anyone interested, I'd suggest Visions of Johanna, It's Alright Ma, Mr Tambourine Man, Like A Rolling Stone and Tangled Up In Blue (in no particular order) as his most brilliant poems, along with Desolation Row.
Mind, I'm only speaking about the LYRICS here (I'd never try to assemble his "best" songs, that's ridiculous in my opinion). I mean, Desolation Row has frequently been compared to the greatest poems of its time and genre (apocalyptic visions), some sort of rock music's "Wasteland" or "Howl", and how could you possibly disagree? Musically, I think it's one of the songs where the guitar or piano only make up an estimated 20 % of the performance. Anyone who says to me that Bob isn't a literary genius (though that is yet to happen, seems like I know mostly reasonable people :wink: ) will have to listen to me reciting this song or one of the others mentioned above. By the way, I'd love to know - do you people by any chance memorize Bob's lyrics as much as I do? 8)

PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2018, 02:25 GMT 

cameron_williams wrote:
Birmingham 1995-04-02

I've not heard that one!! Excellent!!
I still give the 95 crown to Bethlehem at the end of the year though.
It's stunningly profound and includes the never-performed Titanic verse...Has he ever done that before or since???
And the instrumentals are just amazing.

Bethlehem PA
December 13 1995
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bdwng4tx8 ... on_Row.mp3

Aah then again, I forgot about Cardiff:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58fk1e

1995 was a grand year.

PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2018, 06:55 GMT 

I remember I used to walk alone the beach in my hometown when I was hungover on a Friday morning to sober up. On one of these walks I listened to a tape from my mate for the first time: H61R.

I can still remember the wind from the North Sea almost blowing me over and then the feeling of sheer exhilaration I got from this song. I still feel it when it comes on. All 11 minutes 21 seconds of it.

If I was nagged into naming one song by Dylan as my favourite, this would be a top contender for the top spot. It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2018, 07:03 GMT 

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
I remember I used to walk alone the beach in my hometown when I was hungover on a Friday morning to sober up. On one of these walks I listened to a tape from my mate for the first time: H61R.

I can still remember the wind from the North Sea almost blowing me over and then the feeling of sheer exhilaration I got from this song. I still feel it when it comes on. All 11 minutes 21 seconds of it.

If I was nagged into naming one song by Dylan as my favourite, this would be a top contender for the top spot. It's brilliant.
It's not only my favourite Dylan song, but my single favourite track by anybody, anytime. The H61 version, that is. The live 66 versions are compelling, but crucially lack the flamenco guitar. As for NET performances, I've never heard a single one that I like. I'd rather he'd let the album version stand and never played it live at all, tbh.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 01:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
The finest performance I know is March 20, 2004 in Toronto. Freddy Koella does some fine electric work while Larry handles the acoustic and it is sweet!

The MTV Unplugged is pretty good.

oldmanemu wrote:
the song has been discussed for nearly 50 years .

Indeed, it has. And I still stand be my comments above...

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 16:28 GMT 

marker wrote:
cameron_williams wrote:
Birmingham 1995-04-02

I've not heard that one!! Excellent!!
I still give the 95 crown to Bethlehem at the end of the year though.
It's stunningly profound and includes the never-performed Titanic verse...Has he ever done that before or since???
And the instrumentals are just amazing.

Bethlehem PA
December 13 1995
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bdwng4tx8 ... on_Row.mp3

Before, I don't know. Since? At least in the shows, I've attended, I heard the Titanic verse only once: Hannover, 12th May 2000.
2000 was a grand year, too.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 16:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Before? Certainly. That verse was played throughout the ‘66 tour, and during the one Desolation Row performance of 1974.

PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2018, 17:02 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Before? Certainly. That verse was played throughout the ‘66 tour, and during the one Desolation Row performance of 1974.

Yes, obviously. But before in '95? ...

PostPosted: Thu April 19th, 2018, 00:46 GMT 

There's an interesting exchange Allen Ginsberg had with a student, during a seminar he held at Naropa University sometime in the mid- to late-'70s, in which he suggested that Dylan had already by then come to regard bits of the Titanic verse as fairly insipid. Might explain why Bob has so seldom sung it since.

Quote:
Student: I was reading (Ezra) Pound yesterday.... And anyway, all of a sudden four or five lines from (Bob) Dylan came into my head - from "Desolation Row."

AG: Yeah

Student: "T.S.Eliot and Ezra Pound fighting in the captain's tower while gypsy singers laugh at them and fishermen wave flowers."

AG: You know, that's one of Dylan's f*cked-up lines, I'm afraid.

Student: You think so?

AG: Alas - Because I love him as a poet. But, see, Eliot and Pound were friends, they weren't "fighting in the captain's tower" - "T.S.Eliot and Ezra Pound are fighting in the captain's tower." - What was it? How does it continue?

Student: "While calypso singers laugh at them."

AG: Well, that might be.... But then Dylan goes on and f*cks it all up with a real dull image

Student: "Between the windows of the sea where lovely mermaids flow"

AG: Yeah, so Dylan has to bring in his old tired "lovely mermaids" there. I mean, Dylan finally falls into exactly the same trap that Pound was warning against. Where did he get those "lovely mermaids" at "the windows of the sea"?, "fishermen holding flowers"? - that's all out of his head, out of his head from reading Ezra Pound or something. No, I mean it's all out of his head from reading (Alfred Lord) Tennyson, probably, in high school - "Mermaids of the sea"! - My ass! - I mean, he doesn't know anything about mermaids of the sea! Dylan had not read, really, Pound. He'd read Eliot but he hadn't really read Pound and, at that time, understood Pound. And so later he told me that he's ashamed of that line (he's not ashamed, but he's a little.. he can't sing it with the conviction that he wrote it, because, actually, Pound was warning against that kind of dopey sentimentality).

The full exchange: http://ginsbergblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06 ... n-mmp.html