Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat June 23rd, 2018, 10:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 10:48 GMT 

marker wrote:
Not John Irving wrote:
This is one I rarely listen to anymore. And I wish it wasn't played live: it's very much a young man's song, and I don't think there has been a decent live version of it since the 1960s.

This is most certainly not true. Dylan's studio take is perfection. His finest singing of his own song maybe ever. The fact that Bruce Langhorne played guitar only served the focus of the song.
This is actually a very mature song written by a very observant smart & talented young man who was going through his first epic romance. I've always felt that in 64 when he sang it in those defiant vocal gestures, it was as if he rejecting the pain of that song and the memory of the year before. But the song was very young and Bob IMO has never delivered this halfway. It's everyone's true favorite. Rolling Stone is great. "Watchtower! WOO!" LJ. Blowin "very important"....But Don't Think Twice holds a special place for a lot of people.
What can one say that has not been said? It's the perfect song. It is certainly Dylan's most coveted. I've loved damn near every version I've heard.
If anything, Dylan has grown up and into the song. The 90's were very good to this song. Finally he gave it its full due. Perhaps it was Clapton's transformation of it into a traditional blues that got the blood flowing
1993 has many great versions, 93 being the year of World Gone Wrong, is a criminally underrated touring year.
However, by 1996, Bob had expanded the sound of the song with its bluegrass arrangement in the acoustic sets and
by 1998, with his second best band ever (after The Hawks): Bucky and Larry his best combo IMO; I love George, but Kemper was his boy. His voice was finally where it needed to be. He was surrounded by truly talented players, this song was bound to be great every night and it pretty much was.
I defy anyone to listen to this and declare that it is not a great version.
And if you do go there, you must swear you've listened to the entire thing. Only then, may you spew your poison.
Honestly, mez, killer version.

June 11, 1998, Copenhagen.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zzshbp

That version stretches a three minute song into eight minutes. However well it's played, extending the song so much is not going to make me like it more!

For me it holds the same kind of place as "Blowing in the wind": a mostly dull song that has to be rolled out with monotonous regularity in concert, extended to far beyond it's natural length, and sung as if its a contractual obligation. Give me "One too many mornings". "Boots of Spanish leather", or "It ain't me babe" over this every time.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 11:14 GMT 

rob71 wrote:
one question: i spoke with a friend yesterday who tried to convince me that dylan didn´t
play the guitar on the original version on "freewheelin". is that really true?

ok, i read the liner notes again... there are more guitar players... seems like my friend is right.

but i always have this cezar diaz interview in mind where he praised bob´s qualities as a guitar player
especially on "don´t think twice"...

anybody can say for sure?

I think nobody can say for sure, but officially Bruce Langhorne has the credits.
Dylan could have played it. He has guite similar recordings like Suze (The Cough Song) or Moonshine.
Eyolf Østrem has about this a fictive story "It wasn't Bruce" in Dylanchords.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 11:36 GMT 

This song is one big piece of self-betrayal.

Nothing is alright here, the more often he repeats the contrary to himself the clearer it gets.

Unlike Positively Fourth Street, which is meant as it's said.

Still one of his very best masterpieces... (not to use that term inflationary)

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 14:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

jimmybeam12 wrote:
This song is one big piece of self-betrayal.

Nothing is alright here, the more often he repeats the contrary to himself the clearer it gets.

Unlike Positively Fourth Street, which is meant as it's said.

Still one of his very best masterpieces... (not to use that term inflationary)

Very well said.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 20:14 GMT 

rob71 wrote:
one question: i spoke with a friend yesterday who tried to convince me that dylan didn´t
play the guitar on the original version on "freewheelin". is that really true?

ok, i read the liner notes again... there are more guitar players... seems like my friend is right.

but i always have this cezar diaz interview in mind where he praised bob´s qualities as a guitar player
especially on "don´t think twice"...

anybody can say for sure?

Yes. It's Dylan playing.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 20:23 GMT 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 21:03 GMT 

"I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul"

Yes and yes.

The version of the Gaslight Tapes it's beautiful indeed, but I'm in love with the version of the New York Town Hall 1963. There is a really nice fingerpicking. He introduce it saying that it's a very dificult song to sing: "I don't know if I can sing it, really... but I wrote it so..."

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 21:48 GMT 

MeanMrKetchup wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:
One of the many reasons Freewheelin' is better than BOTT. :)

Don't start that one again. I love 'em both.

I agree it's a great song, but I'd rather hear any song from BOTT instead of it except for maybe Lily, Rosemary..

Yeah what is it with that song. I always used to skip it. Probably because I always wanted to hear 'meet me in the morning' right up to the fade out so I used to turn it up then get blasted by the loud harmonica at the start of 'Lily'. Now I've replaced that version with the New York one and the world is a better place.

Going back to Don't think Twice It's Alright there is something unique about the original Freewheeling recording that is just great. And thanks Marker for the June 11, 1998, Copenhagen performance. I like it - very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 21:50 GMT 

I said 'Don't start that one again. I love 'em both.' by the way. I've just realised if you quote two people at once and try to reply to both comments it puts words in another person's mouth (or however you want to put that). I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 23:39 GMT 

Thanks Marker for that post! MEZ

PostPosted: Mon June 8th, 2009, 01:03 GMT 

A great song that even non-Dylan fans seem to appreciate.

So many great live renditions, but for some reason Brisbane, Aus 2003 springs to mind. It was a pretty haphazard version, but there was a certain venom to Bob's singing on this.

PostPosted: Mon June 8th, 2009, 06:04 GMT 

"That version stretches a three minute song into eight minutes. However well it's played, extending the song so much is not going to make me like it more!"

So it's safe to assume you're not a Grateful Dead fan?

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2009, 07:18 GMT 

here's my favorite version: http://www.sendspace.com/file/jfchvc

it's from 2000 George WA

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2009, 08:51 GMT 

andy1983 wrote:
A song I love a lot too.
I think my favourite version is on 'The Gaslight Tapes'.

Are you talking about the version on Gaslight 3? Where he forgets half the lyrics and mumbles his way through? And the one hand clapping at the end . . .

Listening to that version made me wonder if he even wrote it at all. How can you forget lyrics you've just written? But I presume he must have.

On the question of Bob's guitar playing on Freewheelin', there's some pretty good-sounding stuff there. Note Down the Highway, for example. And I always wondered if the accompanying guitar line in the middle of the verse of Don't Think Twice - "I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind / You coulda done better but I don't mind" - was taken from somewhere else. Seems too accomplished for such a young Dylan.

Brilliant song, by the way.

PostPosted: Sat July 2nd, 2011, 23:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

There is a charmingly, delightful electric version of this from the Akron, OH show, July 2, 1986. Dylan was touring with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and they met up with the Grateful Dead. Dylan joins the Grateful Dead on it and it is a sign of the wonders to come with Dylan and the Dead. :D

They also performed It's All Over Now, Baby Blue... a Bob and Jerry duet... it wasn't quite as good. :|

PostPosted: Sat July 2nd, 2011, 23:44 GMT 

I love Before the Flood; that sounds pretty SINCERE! Maybe a little coked up, too

Otherwise...Wolftrap 97 and Duluth 99 are favorites.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 00:17 GMT 

Here's a version that I suspect most have never heard...

In the final days of Bob's brief but brilliant run with guitarist G.E. Smith, they performed a
killer version of this song in Berlin. Couched between Song to Woody and Gates Of Eden, for a few minutes G.E. and Bob
possess that youthful energy that Don't Think Twice always inhabited in the early years.
Bob seems to be having a blast
and delivers an outrageously good harmonica solo...spectacular.

Berlin Germany
July 5 1990
https://www.mediafire.com/?ao253awa87d7ws4

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 08:10 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
The "Before the Flood" version is one of the worst things I've ever heard. I can imagine someone could ruin this song (check the youtube cover versions) but that Dylan could trash it so badly (back before he lost his ability to sing) is amazing.

I love the "Before the Flood" version though the original is the one I always go back to.The 63 Carnegie Hall version is another outstanding performance.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 16:53 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
another example where the original recorded version is unmatched.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 18:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm in full agreement that this song is one of his best.

As to covers, for my money, Susan Tedeshci owns this song now -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOZJ-eO_RI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFrFHKgWacA

but wait, there's more!! Tedeschi bonus pack!! -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFrFHKgWacA

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 18:22 GMT 

meuse2208 wrote:
another example where the original recorded version is unmatched.

Though I don't see any way the studio version can be improved upon, I do tend to favor the demo-recording first released on the Bootleg Series, Vol. 7. Maybe it's the way the lack of harmonica forces you to pay more attention to the delicate, plaintive strumming of the guitar, maybe it's the unsubtle twang of the last chord jerking you out of a reverie of a song, but man, it's a beautiful thing.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 18:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

marker wrote:
Here's a version that I suspect most have never heard...

In the final days of Bob's brief but brilliant run with guitarist G.E. Smith, they performed a
killer version of this song in Berlin. Couched between Song to Woody and Gates Of Eden, for a few minutes G.E. and Bob
possess that youthful energy that Don't Think Twice always inhabited in the early years.
Bob seems to be having a blast
and delivers an outrageously good harmonica solo...spectacular.

Berlin Germany
July 5 1990
https://www.mediafire.com/?ao253awa87d7ws4

Great version, Marker! For me, personally, this is not one I usually love live, but sometimes he sure does nail it.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 07:04 GMT 

I seem to remember a brilliant shapter on this song in Andy Muir's Troubadour ;)

It grew out of Homer the slut , which is available here as a free download here:

http://www.a-muir.co.uk/Dylan/Hts/Hts4.pdf

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 12:43 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
austrian cover version by Wolfgang Ambros from 79'
very nice and bluesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_PhAfim_fk

PostPosted: Fri January 1st, 2016, 03:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

very nice Mr. Zimmerman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szCYnw5wQ0