Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu January 18th, 2018, 15:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 16:38 GMT 

Great Great tune. I'm hoping to get a few posts of some killer versions. Not much doubt on the greatness of this track. Ary folks not care for this one? Well you would be wrong. Just kidding. We can agree to disagree I guess! Lets get some fav versions rollling here & give the song the respect it so deserves. MEZ

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 16:41 GMT 

Much respect on this one mez.. great song. One of many of course :D

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 16:48 GMT 

It's All Right.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 16:49 GMT 

I ain't gonna say you treated me unkind
You coulda done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right

I first heard those lines - simultaneously compassionate, regretful, touching, and brutal - when I was, oh, 18 or 19. And it might have been the first time I really realized that a song lyric could capture the complex awful truth. I've loved that verse ever since.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 16:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

One of the many reasons Freewheelin' is better than BOTT. :)

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 17:08 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
One of the many reasons Freewheelin' is better than BOTT. :)

I agree it's a great song, but I'd rather hear any song from BOTT instead of it except for maybe Lily, Rosemary..

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 17:25 GMT 

"Dylan states this is based upon Paul Clayton’s song “Who'll Buy You Ribbons When I'm Gone”
Paul Clayton based his own composition on the traditional song "Scarlet Ribbons For Her Hair," so Dylan's song could have been based on either or both. Clayton obviously felt that his song was where Dylan had got it, and had his lawyers make inquiries. According to Robert Shelton, "Clayton and Dylan had an amicable legal tiff, settling without rancor out of court." (No Direction Home by Robert Shelton, page 156)."
Lifted from here: http://joski56.blogspot.com/2009/05/dyl ... write.html

The blog author himself lifted his article from an older issue of ISIS - and added examples of all the influences as downloads - great stuff.
What I find amazing is one thing most people don't mention when they say how many of his early melodies Bob took from other songs - and that is how much he changed them, as in the case of Don't Think Twice, or how he turned around the whole atmosphere even when he left the melody completely unchanged (1913 Massacre vs. Song for Woody comes to mind) and so really made new songs out of the old ones.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 17:59 GMT 

I can appreciate the poetry and prowess Dylan exhibited in the song, but it means nothing to me personally. I cannot relate. Perhaps I'm too young.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 18:47 GMT 

Halifax 2002 and Tulsa 2005 - the endings with the harmonica blow me away everytime I hear them!!

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 18:49 GMT 

I like all of the song's incarnations. At the moment I'm finding the 1978 reggae versions quite charming.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 18:52 GMT 

Great great heavyweight song. My favorite version is from the Live 1964 album, where he yells out the lyrics. The audence must of thought he was joking around (maybe he was) and started laughing before they realized he wasn't. A subtle change, but an early account of Dylan messing with his songs.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 19:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Love this song, second favourite off Freewheelin' after Hard Rain. My friend who neither likes nor dislikes Bob on the whole downloaded this track after she fell in love with it last week. It made me rather happy.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 19:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

The "Before the Flood" version is one of the worst things I've ever heard. I can imagine someone could ruin this song (check the youtube cover versions) but that Dylan could trash it so badly (back before he lost his ability to sing) is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 19:33 GMT 

This is one I rarely listen to anymore. And I wish it wasn't played live: it's very much a young man's song, and I don't think there has been a decent live version of it since the 1960s.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 19:51 GMT 

Not John Irving wrote:
This is one I rarely listen to anymore. And I wish it wasn't played live: it's very much a young man's song, and I don't think there has been a decent live version of it since the 1960s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2z5F11ZLi0

A young man's song sung by an old man - Ramblin' Jack Elliot.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 19:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

It´s as perfect song as any.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 20:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
It´s as perfect song as any.

Yes, it is. And it isn't hampered by the weight of the sweeping surrealism and "poetic" language of somgs like "Visions of Johanna" and "Desolation Row."

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 20:22 GMT 

Of all Dylan's classic songs, this one could be the most plaintive. It's straightforward because that's really the only way it can work. A beautiful song and probably the best one yet to feature in this series of posts.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 20:37 GMT 

one question: i spoke with a friend yesterday who tried to convince me that dylan didn´t
play the guitar on the original version on "freewheelin". is that really true?

ok, i read the liner notes again... there are more guitar players... seems like my friend is right.

but i always have this cezar diaz interview in mind where he praised bob´s qualities as a guitar player
especially on "don´t think twice"...

anybody can say for sure?

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 22:22 GMT 

powerpete wrote:
"Dylan states this is based upon Paul Clayton’s song “Who'll Buy You Ribbons When I'm Gone”
Paul Clayton based his own composition on the traditional song "Scarlet Ribbons For Her Hair," so Dylan's song could have been based on either or both. Clayton obviously felt that his song was where Dylan had got it, and had his lawyers make inquiries. According to Robert Shelton, "Clayton and Dylan had an amicable legal tiff, settling without rancor out of court." (No Direction Home by Robert Shelton, page 156)."
Lifted from here: http://joski56.blogspot.com/2009/05/dyl ... write.html

Paul Clayton's "Who'll Buy Your Ribbons When I'm Gone" is not based on "Scarlett Ribbons". That's a completely different song (in fact a pseudo Folk song written in 1949, if I remember correctly, that became a kind of Folk Revival standard, see here Jim Reeves' version on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZk4x6PiCzg )

The Clayton song is most likely an original with no known precursors. It's now available on this reissue:
http://www.worldwentdown.com/omni/omni120.php

In fact I bought this record last year & I think it's a beautiful song and a great performance by Paul Clayton who was a marvellous singer.

PostPosted: Sat June 6th, 2009, 22:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

sphinx wrote:
Of all Dylan's classic songs, this one could be the most plaintive. It's straightforward because that's really the only way it can work. A beautiful song and probably the best one yet to feature in this series of posts.

Yeah... but...

It's not that straightforward at all. It's a tricky little bastard. It sounds like a love song because the music supports that; major chords with an occasional seventh tossed in. But listen closer and it's almost an early draft of "Positively 4th Street."

"You just kinda wasted my precious time... but don't think twice, it's all right." :shock:

Yikes.

I'd go so far as to say that what makes it unique is the tension that's produced between the sweetness of the music (the melody & the guitar playing) and the edgy nastiness of the lyric. It confounds and confuses thelistener.

"Awww... that's sweet.... wait a minute...."

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 06:36 GMT 

Not John Irving wrote:

This is most certainly not true. Dylan's studio take is perfection. His finest singing of his own song maybe ever. The fact that Bruce Langhorne played guitar only served the focus of the song.
This is actually a very mature song written by a very observant smart & talented young man who was going through his first epic romance. I've always felt that in 64 when he sang it in those defiant vocal gestures, it was as if he rejecting the pain of that song and the memory of the year before. But the song was very young and Bob IMO has never delivered this halfway. It's everyone's true favorite. Rolling Stone is great. "Watchtower! WOO!" LJ. Blowin "very important"....But Don't Think Twice holds a special place for a lot of people.
What can one say that has not been said? It's the perfect song. It is certainly Dylan's most coveted. I've loved damn near every version I've heard.
If anything, Dylan has grown up and into the song. The 90's were very good to this song. Finally he gave it its full due. Perhaps it was Clapton's transformation of it into a traditional blues that got the blood flowing
1993 has many great versions, 93 being the year of World Gone Wrong, is a criminally underrated touring year.
However, by 1996, Bob had expanded the sound of the song with its bluegrass arrangement in the acoustic sets and
by 1998, with his second best band ever (after The Hawks): Bucky and Larry his best combo IMO; I love George, but Kemper was his boy. His voice was finally where it needed to be. He was surrounded by truly talented players, this song was bound to be great every night and it pretty much was.
I defy anyone to listen to this and declare that it is not a great version.
And if you do go there, you must swear you've listened to the entire thing. Only then, may you spew your poison.
Honestly, mez, killer version.

June 11, 1998, Copenhagen.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zzshbp

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 07:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

I only like the original version. It's cute, and it works with the tone of his voice and the fancy (for him) finger picking. In it's original form it's nearly perfect.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 07:53 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Yeah... but...

It's not that straightforward at all. It's a tricky little bastard. It sounds like a love song because the music supports that; major chords with an occasional seventh tossed in. But listen closer and it's almost an early draft of "Positively 4th Street."

"You just kinda wasted my precious time... but don't think twice, it's all right." :shock:

Yikes.

I'd go so far as to say that what makes it unique is the tension that's produced between the sweetness of the music (the melody & the guitar playing) and the edgy nastiness of the lyric. It confounds and confuses thelistener.

"Awww... that's sweet.... wait a minute...."

Exactly. The song was on my very first Dylan record, and at 15 my English wasn't very good - so it took me a while to get from "That's sweet" to "Wait a minute". Quite a shock it was to someone who at that tender age was still able to enjoy Chris de Burgh...

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 10:11 GMT 

A song I love a lot too.
I think my favourite version is on 'The Gaslight Tapes'.

The 'Before the flood'-version is crap indeed.