Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon February 19th, 2018, 06:10 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 02:10 GMT 

This one I never liked for the longest time. Now I really dig it! An above average tune, rock Solid I should say. Some tunes take a while to grow on you, a la, this one for The Mez. Other fans or naysayers of The Groom................ Any significance to anyone? or just some who think it plain sucks. The MEZ is curious for my little project here on dylan fans! MEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 03:49 GMT 

I don't remember all the details, but I do know this song is unique as it wasn't originally on the album Shot of Love. I believe it was a B-side for a single, and it was added to the album later. I wonder if there are any other songs that were added to albums later.

Great song all round. Thrashing hard rock riff, apocalypic lyrics being squeezed into a ball, a Dylan song you could headbang to.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 04:44 GMT 

Good song. Alot of stuff was left off of the original album. Add Angelina next.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 05:03 GMT 

Absolutely LOVE IT! I remember thinking when it came out, "Yea! This is totally BALLS TO THE WALL BOB!" :twisted: :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 05:12 GMT 

Great song - there's a killer live version of it, too. Can't remember now which show it came from.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 05:16 GMT 

Really love to hear that live & excellent points thus far folks Thanks MEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:22 GMT 

Checked it out - it is Warfield, San Francisco, 11/15/80

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 08:06 GMT 

My personal favorite of the Gospel albums is Shot of Love
and this and Every Grain are the reasons why. I'd hold this song up
to any Dylan Gospel as well as any Gospel period.
The best things for me about Shot of Love is that all the songs are
so contradictory in nature that often the songs take on a surreal
nature much like his earlier work.
The real fire in these lyrics are just as much what he's saying but how he's
saying it. These rhymes are incredible (humiliated, obligated; temperature, furniture)
and he spits them out with such ferocity that no song from the previous two can compare in its effectiveness.
And the Warfield show is ferocious. The lyrics aren't quite there yet, and I've never been
able to discern what he's exactly singing, but Mike Bloomfield is guesting and it's mind-blowing.
To hear that people were indifferent to this music blows my mind.

Here it is.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/owh7eb

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 15:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

What a joy it would be to see this one get rolled out this summer! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 16:51 GMT 

Thanks great boot track!!!! MEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 17:04 GMT 

Originally a B-side, latter to be included in SHOT OF LOVE (that's the only case in Dylan's discography). This record has the best bunch of outakes ever: Groom, Angelina, Need a Woman, Carribean Wind and the overlooked You Changed My Life, IMO a key track to his Christian period.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 19:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

almotasim wrote:
Originally a B-side, latter to be included in SHOT OF LOVE (that's the only case in Dylan's discography). This record has the best bunch of outakes ever: Groom, Angelina, Need a Woman, Carribean Wind and the overlooked You Changed My Life, IMO a key track to his Christian period.
I wish You Changed My Life would have been played live. Actually, I'd have take any of these.

Carribean Wind was played once and Groom got a few outings but I never got to see them. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 20:24 GMT 

Fantastic song! I've been hoping for a live version since I started seeing Bob in 1986.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Groom Is Rollicking..............Everytime I hear it I have to get up and dance........Bob spins me right round Baby right round like a record baby Right round round round............. :P

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 22:35 GMT 

I mean, for me, this:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Propriety of Jesus
Watered Down Love
The Groom Is Still Wainting At The Altar
Carribean Wind
You Changed My Life
In The Summertime
Angelina
Every Grain Of Sand

would make Shot Of Love even better than Oh Mercy and be Dylan's best record of the 80s. And one of the best of his career.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 23:24 GMT 

almotasim wrote:
I mean, for me, this:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Propriety of Jesus
Watered Down Love
Carribean Wind
You Changed My Life
In The Summertime
Angelina
Every Grain Of Sand

would make Shot Of Love even better than Oh Mercy and be Dylan's best record of the 80s. And one of the best of his career.

If that were the actual album, I bet we all would be talking about what masterpieces Lenny Bruce, Dead Man Dead Man and Trouble are and how they should have been included on the album :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2009, 23:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

The obvious solution would have been to release it as a double album. If not then, maybe as a re-mastered. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 00:06 GMT 

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Shot due to Lenny Bruce and Every Grain but Groom? I must be hearing a different song to you all.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 00:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

circus sands wrote:
almotasim wrote:
I mean, for me, this:

Shot Of Love
Heart Of Mine
Propriety of Jesus
Watered Down Love
Carribean Wind
You Changed My Life
In The Summertime
Angelina
Every Grain Of Sand

If that were the actual album, I bet we all would be talking about what masterpieces Lenny Bruce, Dead Man Dead Man and Trouble are and how they should have been included on the album :lol:

Trouble is the only one that shouldn't have been included...and in that company it wouldn't have hurt too much. Of course, if we're going to revise Shot of Love than Infidels and Oh Mercy get revised too, while we're at it Saved can be a live gospel album as was originally planned. Suddenly the 80's don't look so bad!

P.S. Can we delete Empire Burlesque altogether?

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 00:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
Can we delete Empire Burlesque altogether?
That would be sacriledge and the answer is "Absolutely not!"

The next thing you know someone will be suggesting getting rid of Infidels or Knocked Out Loaded or some other album they feel doesn't measure up for some contrived reason. There's some great music in there...

I think it would be good for you to sit down and listen to Empire Burlesque right now...all by yourself...no distractions...just soak it in...allow your soul to be swept away by it.

Words cannot describe the experience.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 19:06 GMT 

Untrodden Path: one day, i hope not too long from today, i'll be able to like EMPIRE BURLESQUE. I know I will. I already like When The Night Starts Falling From The Sky (Infidels outake) and Someone's Got A Hold On My Heart. Until then, i'll shut up.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 22:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

almotasim wrote:
Untrodden Path: one day, i hope not too long from today, i'll be able to like EMPIRE BURLESQUE. I know I will. I already like When The Night Starts Falling From The Sky (Infidels outake) and Someone's Got A Hold On My Heart. Until then, i'll shut up.
Don't shut up...opinions are opinions. Nothing more. I can hardly stand anything Bob recorded in the 60s but its obvious I'm in the minority. (I think many of those songs are incredible the way he did them throughout the 90s to about 2005.) Most people don't like his 80s output...I do. If Dylan fans (or people in general) were monolithic, it would be pretty boring.

I like When the Night and Someone's Got A Hold of My Heart very much.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2009, 23:49 GMT 

Let me rephrase that then.

I've been listening intensively to Dylan's work for six years now. In the begining i only digged FW, BOB and BOTT. Nowadays, i can say that, with the exception of EB, i generally like all his work. My favourite albums shifts sometimes on a weekly basis. I think that DITG has amazing songs, that KOL is over-underestimated and that SP is, basically, a fascinating masterpiece. Three years ago if i read the previous sentence i would have thought that the guy who wrote it was crazy.

So, nothing fascinates me more than hearing somebody say that he likes a Dylan's song that i don't like. There used to be hundred of those. Nowadays, there are around twenty, maybe thirty. And EB is fully in that list. But I'm pretty sure that one day i will finally get that album. And the fact that you (and other people) like it so much really challeenges me. I wanna like it too. Wanna to able to find in it what makes you tickle.

The last time it happened to me was two weeks ago. About a month or so, i read somebody saying in this forum that WHEN THE DEAL GOES DOWN was very important to him, because he and his grandma lsiten to it together on a car trip and that her grandma loved it. I didn't run to listen to it right away. But the fact that i really disliked that song so much really made me think that i was missing something. And that something was something great, capable of uniting a woman and his grandchild like only great music can do. Two weeks ago, as i said, i listen to it again. What an amazing, touching and beautiful song.

PostPosted: Mon May 18th, 2009, 00:04 GMT 

Good to see someone not weighed down by the bricks of his foundation. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 18th, 2009, 00:04 GMT 

If you need some love for EB how about Dark Eyes? One of his best of the decade which although very inconsistent gave rise to some of his finest individual songs.