Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed April 16th, 2014, 04:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:52 GMT 

Hal Jones wrote:
TUPAC AMARU wrote:
..guarantee ya the dog that barks the loudest about this video has either been an abuser or a victim of abuse....
So far, the most ignorant remark of the day.
with the awareness and depth of a one dimensional moron i'm sure that's how you react to everything that's beyond that tiny world you wallow in...

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

After reading that...if I were a "young male hipster".....I think I'd be rather insulted.....jes sayin'

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

A young male hipster? Hey, that´s me!

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 00:03 GMT 

I've watched the video & lemmee tell you - I'm outraged!!!

How could Dylan make a video advocating the rape & torture of women?

Oh my good Lord Jesus! I'm going to take all my Dylan albums and make a bonfire!

Luckily I already have a spot in my local lynching-field that I used earlier -

In '66 - that pissed me right off, then in '71 -"Bring back the real Dylan - yeah AJ!"
Then I used it again in '79!!

I think a few Beatles & Stones records got burnt there too!!

YEE-HAAH!

I'm so goddamn offended, I think I'll go cry baby cry make my momma sigh

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 04:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
I liked four things

1) the color of the refrigerator
2) the 'kerchief around the girl's neck
3) the car
4) the girl was hot with her clothes falling off and runny makeup (just saying!)

The rest...meh.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 07:07 GMT 

I saw this thread before I watched the video, and now gladly I'll skip it.

I have no desire to ruin my listening enjoyment of any song by the baggage of an unpleasant video.

thanks for the warning.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 11:55 GMT 

Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
According to a report from Reuter's, Bob himself is guilt free:
"...Columbia Records label does not know if he has even seen it. The company has carte blanche with his videos, and its main job is “to push the envelope, to try not to be predictable,” said Greg Linn, Columbia’s vice president of marketing."

But it's nice to know our opinions carry some weight:
"... it garnered a hostile reception from fans, judging by comments posted on the Dylan fan Web site Expecting Rain."

The article is headlined Another Side of Bob Dylan: Kinky Domestic Violence

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2009/0 ... -violence/

Thank you for this link!

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 14:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

According to the NIJ/CDC National Violence Against Women survey, 10.8% of the women but only 4.1% of the men used a knife on the victim. 21.6% of the male victims were threatened with a knife, while only 12.7% of the women were so threatened. 43.2% of the male victims were hit with a hard object capable of causing serious injury, while this was true of only 22.6% of the female victims. When all serious forms of domestic assault were added together, as many assaulted men as women were seriously assaulted.

If anything, this means that the video is an accurate representation of DV in the US.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:18 GMT 
What it proves is that a man can't figure out where to look for the iron skillet.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:26 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
Ramblin' Man wrote:
So, Bob.....tell us how you really feel about women.

excellent post!!!! the most insightful I have seen...really, I mean it!

i would really love to know too how he really feels about women. He said once on an interview he cannot live without them, and in TTRH, on Mother's Day, was so nice about them, and read an inspired and dear poem to mothers. You know, Freud says that what a guy feels for his mother is very important fto see how he deals with women. I am not being naive, but also in TTL the love (despite the dark humor) and his voice are deeply tender referring the YOU in Life is Hard and This dream on you, and in A Feel a change coming on. I know love can be hard and violent sometimes, but sickness is not the thing i would have chosen as a video for a love song. (sorry for my english). And it is worse cause the video is not well filmed.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:29 GMT 

Gypsygal wrote:
Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
According to a report from Reuter's, Bob himself is guilt free:
"...Columbia Records label does not know if he has even seen it. The company has carte blanche with his videos, and its main job is “to push the envelope, to try not to be predictable,” said Greg Linn, Columbia’s vice president of marketing."

But it's nice to know our opinions carry some weight:
"... it garnered a hostile reception from fans, judging by comments posted on the Dylan fan Web site Expecting Rain."

The article is headlined Another Side of Bob Dylan: Kinky Domestic Violence

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2009/0 ... -violence/

Thank you for this link!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i haven't read this!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks god, it was a Columbia thing!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:32 GMT 

Columbia commited a big mistake trying to follow "the non predictable" order form Dylan, which is very Dylan thought and was a guide all over the years. Oh, i feel such a releive he has nothting to do with this video! :mrgreen: i was right in my first feeling watching at it :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

alma wrote:
he has nothting to do with this video!

That's just bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:07 GMT 

This means either that Bob has given Columbia carte blanche for his videos with the proviso that he doesn't have to appear in them (I don't believe he has since Cross the Green Mountain) or that they weren't expecting this little firestorm of disapproval and Columbia has decided to take the blame.
Personally, I can't imagine someone in BD, Inc. didn't sign off on this. After all, Dylan's name is in the headline.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Its called spin.

Bob Dylan knows exactly whats going on. He has 467 eyes, like a spider or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think Bob Knows and Knew about this before it was released. Bob is a leader of any band that is backing him....So he is and always will be A control freak...probably much more now than ever!!

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:16 GMT 

Dylan really needs to distance himself from this immediately, publicly. If he doesn't, we'll know that he backs it to the hilt. And then....wait for all hell to break loose.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:22 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Bennyboy wrote:
Its called spin.

Bob Dylan knows exactly whats going on. He has 467 eyes, like a spider or something.

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

clifford gage wrote:
Dylan really needs to distance himself from this immediately, publicly. If he doesn't, we'll know that he backs it to the hilt. And then....wait for all hell to break loose.

Nah, Columbia will probably get Obama to invade Iran as a smokescreen when that news leaks.

Last edited by Bennyboy on Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 16:37 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
clifford gage wrote:

Nah, Columbia will probably get Obama to invade Iran as a smokescreen when that new leaks.

Eye think they've had an eye on him for a while

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 17:11 GMT 

I don't endorse the video though I suppose it vaguely represents Dylan's long-time view that "those who have suffered together have stronger connections than those who are most content". But let's take Columbia's statement at face value, they are trying not to be predictable. That means you can't

a) show a Dylan career photograph montage (done)
b) show Dylan singing the song and acting out a skit (done)
c) show Dylan walking around town while the song plays (done)
d) show Dylan playing the song with his band (done)
e) shown Harry Dean Stanton playing with Dylan memorabilia (great idea, but done)

Yet they want to do something to grab attention (succeeded on that score) and that relates to what they think the song or album means. I guess you could stretch it and imagine the couple in the video could be the couple in the front seat of the car on the album. I'm not sure I really have a handle on the song as a song but clearly it's a little bleak in outlook and hence the video makers thought they had a license to disturb.

That's how you get a result like this. Maybe it would be better if they play it safer going forward, or ditch videos altogether.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 17:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

a) to e) are all godawful choices for videos. Putting Bob Dylan in the video in any format is him pretty much asking you to lick the screen like the sad loser you are.

Much better to do what they've done and have something fresh and actually worth watching.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 18:25 GMT 

I vote for a next video of Bob-Licking-Screen-Cleaner-Screen-Saver...

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 19:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: Probably killing time in a supermarket while sig. other compares organic fruits
mancityheel wrote:

a) show a Dylan career photograph montage (done)
b) show Dylan singing the song and acting out a skit (done)
c) show Dylan walking around town while the song plays (done)
d) show Dylan playing the song with his band (done)
e) shown Harry Dean Stanton playing with Dylan memorabilia (great idea, but done)

All of these would have been lame, a (real) live performance video would be nice sometime, like the one he did for Most of the Time.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 20:40 GMT 

Celebrity Apprentice and now this... omg, what's happening to us!?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next