Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 13:48 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 7th, 2015, 23:24 GMT 

From memory the Biblical reference to the 'fourth part of the day' mentions that those in prayer also engaged in 'confession' - it might be significant that the lady in question is seen walking with the village priest.

PostPosted: Thu May 7th, 2015, 23:28 GMT 

I should have added that perhaps it means that it is too late for Dylan to confess, given that the fourth part of the day has 'already gone'.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2015, 17:32 GMT 

I prefer Shake Shake Mama, but thats just me.

PostPosted: Thu September 3rd, 2015, 20:38 GMT 

I always hear Dylan singing " got the blood of the lamb in my voice", rather than "the blood of the land."

Reading Ulysses today, in the chapter known as Laestrygonians, I came across this mis-reading by Bloom as he is handed a flyer for a lecture at the YMCA:

"Bloo . . . Me? No.
Blood of the Lamb."

Since I hear the (lamb for land) mondegreen in the same verse where he's "reading James Joyce, I wonder if it's a winking acknowledgement by Dylan of the kindred wandering Jew, Bloom.

Certainly "blood of the lamb" is a more readily recognized image. But "blood of the land" is what Dylan has expressed throughout his career and that which one might say he shares in common with James Joyce's expression of faith and lost faith in his native Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 16:06 GMT 

carnap wrote:
What is the change coming on? Well his baby is a she, not a he, and she is the object of his desire. So, he is not turning gay. They are not yet together, otherwise he would not suggest she pack her bags with his. I think he wants to marry her. Yep, that must be it.
:)
No one said anything about anyone 'turning gay', so what are you talking about Carnap?

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D ("You are as porous as ever / Baby you can start a fire")
These guys had me convinced that's what it was, but porous is much better and likelier! The final consonant sure sounds like /s/ to me - and more porus wood burns better!

Quote:
All hardwoods have vessels (little pipelines) that are used in sap production. The size and distribution of these vessels vary among species. When the vessels are cut across the end grain, they’re often referred to as pores, thus hardwoods are known as “porous woods” (see below for further classification). Softwoods, which don’t have pores and as such don't burn as well, are known as “non-porous woods.” - popularwoodworking.com

PostPosted: Wed October 11th, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

There is a short story by Raymond Carver, I believe called "Fat", or "Fat man" or something. If my memory serves me right, "I feel a change coming on" is the last line of that story, or something very similar. I always wondered if Bob took the title from that story. But then again, he´s not been known to do that, has he? :P

Love the song, btw. My favorite from TTL and one of my favorites of late era Bob

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 21:17 GMT 

I feel this is the Chicago at Midnight song; it just was retitled.
Chicago at midnight as a wink tribute to Obama, which afterwards
he thought better of.