Everybody got all the flowers
I don't have one single rose
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:22 GMT 

Hi Sally,

Maybe you can help me with a question I posed earlier today, regarding IFACCO:

Quote:
I love the song (apart from the bogey name-dropping and braggadocio in the 2nd bridge) but here's the question:

He feels a change coming on, but what is it? What is the change? From what to what? Or, is it a change of woman? Is it a change of fortunes, given the glorious, sniffing whinge in the last verse? Is it a good change, or a woeful one?

It has me flummoxed - any suggestions?

Cheers! (By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:26 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
(By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )

Think so, too. Although there are some very entertaining suggestions over at bd.com

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:38 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Hi Sally,

Quote:
I love the song (apart from the bogey name-dropping and braggadocio in the 2nd bridge) but here's the question:

He feels a change coming on, but what is it? What is the change? From what to what? Or, is it a change of woman? Is it a change of fortunes, given the glorious, sniffing whinge in the last verse? Is it a good change, or a woeful one?

Cheers! (By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )

I really don't know its a "swag" sophiscated wild-assed guess but because of the identification of the priest this guy in the song in my minds pictures is someone who feels he cant walk with a priest at least not yet but he appreciates that this lady can and thats what he seems to decide to want so he's willing to make a change so that he can also walk with him and also with her thats a stretch but it seems to be a romantic ballad ive only had a few listens so what do you think

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:43 GMT 

littlesallysanctus wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Hi Sally,

Quote:

I really don't know its a "swag" sophiscated wild-assed guess but because of the identification of the priest this guy in the song in my minds pictures is someone who feels he cant walk with a priest at least not yet but he appreciates that this lady can and thats what he seems to decide to want so he's willing to make a change so that he can also walk with him and also with her thats a stretch but it seems to be a romantic ballad ive only had a few listens so what do you think

ps another stretch the wise men the "magi" looked for the star in the east i think to lead them to bethlahem it was an "epiphany" it changed them these kings of the world and they submitted their gifts to a greater king god (thats what the feast is referred to in the church) the feast of the epiphany ---but this lady had already apparently experienced an epiphany this wordly man was seeking one hahahahahahah i should give up analyzing lyrics its ok for you to laugh at this but everyone analyzes from their own frames of reference and individuals give their own meanings to a piece of art in lyric form i think for their enjoyment of the art

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:45 GMT 

Yeah, that's good. It's hard to know, and I suppose that's the way he prefers his lyrics: open-ended and subjective in meaning.

He's pursuing this gal and it's approaching night-time and he thinks he might be getting closer. But that could be just wishful thinking on his part.

What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess, though, SWAG or not! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:49 GMT 

littlesallysanctus wrote:

ps another stretch the wise men the "magi" looked for the star in the east i think to lead them to bethlahem it was an "epiphany" it changed them these kings of the world and they submitted their gifts to a greater king god (thats what the feast is referred to in the church) the feast of the epiphany ---but this lady had already apparently experienced an epiphany this wordly man was seeking one hahahahahahah i should give up analyzing lyrics its ok for you to laugh at this but everyone analyzes from their own frames of reference and individuals give their own meanings to a piece of art in lyric form i think for their enjoyment of the art

That's quite interesting actually! I hadn't made any connection with the star in the east. thanks for that. I think your "frames of reference" are quite sharp and I like them! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:57 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess

Just as much as Neil Young had to do with Highlands. Or Erica Jong.

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 13:13 GMT 

Johanna Moore wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess

Just as much as Neil Young had to do with Highlands. Or Erica Jong.

Exactly, though both of them fit in a rambling tale. The Erica Jong reference - I thought - was sarcastic. He snorts a laugh after saying that.

I remember that Ice T had a rap called MVP's where he gave a shout-out to his favourite rappers. Maybe Bob should do a song like that & get it over with! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 13:34 GMT 

The first verse is actually the last. Noted by the last part of the day is already gone line.

It sees the narrator in jail. Looking out from his prison cell.
Probably his last earthly day, thus his baby bringing the village priest.

Rest of the song is the story of their life going from good to bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 15:38 GMT 

love the lyrics....

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:00 GMT 

I always thought that she was walking with the village priest because she was about to get married to the narrator. Maybe this first verse is just his fantasy / wish / imagination though, as in the following four verses he appears to be courting her, but we don't know if he is successful. Like the first verse, the final two verses might be the narrator talking to himself again. Like in so many other songs, he comes away with nothing again, but is still only hoping for a chance. I tell myself something's coming, but it never does. Of course it's pure fiction. It's only a song after all.

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:38 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess, though, SWAG or not! :lol:

In the RS interview Bob first says that the verse came out of nowhere and then changes his mind and says that astrologically (and subliminally) those names "wanted to be combined," so he put them together in the verse. He says it was "a Celtic thing." I'm not making this up! Sounds like he's making shit up as he goes along just like us! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

A beautiful song. The best track on TTL? Very well could be. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 20:36 GMT 

Ugh. Here we go again...

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 20:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:

It's my favorite...

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:01 GMT 

she´s not walking with any stupid guy, but with the priest. After many letdowns more interested in metaphysics than in loveaffairs. The same with him. Only old artists make him live&he not even gets a rose. Both went through so many things, lands blood included. Know whats precious&remains, cause it´s the end of the day. Why not jump into again? It´s the best moment for easy passion&the hottest fire instead of dreams, hoping for religious gifts or reading James Joyce. I feel a chance comin' on

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:39 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Yeah, that's good. It's hard to know, and I suppose that's the way he prefers his lyrics: open-ended and subjective in meaning.

He's pursuing this gal and it's approaching night-time and he thinks he might be getting closer. But that could be just wishful thinking on his part.

I responded to this once and it got lost in expecting rain land somewhere----
other writers especially religious writers refer to the "close of day", "winter", "night" as the end of the world---or the end of one's personal world----admission of sin need for repentance need for reconcilliation with god

some writers then signal this as a time of a change like in renewal, refreshment, forgiven sins, second chance, second coming, baptismal experience

and the song just seems a romantic ballad and every new relationship or restored relationship is a baptismal experience sometimes occuring after an epiphany

i dont really know what dylan had in mind but it just seems a time of personal renewal a passage into a new way for a world weary world wise individual his voice is perfect for the songs on this new album of his something akin the way edgar allan poe set tonality in The Bells a younger dylan voice wouldnt have been able to convey all the range of emotions in this album i think

yep thats the draw here i think it sets a stage for a storied reality that the listener and the poet enter a world together and create together its a dance between the two the album is a completeness of conveyance very much like poe's The Bells

bad bob must have a good laugh louder than the frank ones on the album at all of us as we sort through his lyrics and attach meanings that just arent there when all he may be doing is putting sounds together that carry words

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sounds like a song about a guy about to get married late in life to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 18:30 GMT 

Maybe she's in a new relationship with the village priest. Maybe he catches them walking hand in hand and thinks, wow, a change is coming on!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/us/07priest.html?_r=1

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:48 GMT 

Johnnie Ray wrote:
Maybe she's in a new relationship with the village priest. Maybe he catches them walking hand in hand and thinks, wow, a change is coming on!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/us/07priest.html?_r=1

maybe she's actually his wife

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

What is the change coming on? Well his baby is a she, not a he, and she is the object of his desire. So, he is not turning gay. They are not yet together, otherwise he would not suggest she pack her bags with his. I think he wants to marry her. Yep, that must be it.
:)

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 17:49 GMT 

This is the song that stood out the most for me on first listen. There's a bit of a Mississippi feel to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 6th, 2015, 14:46 GMT 

Billy Jo Shaver is Dylan's sound and Joyce is Dylan's lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed May 6th, 2015, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Claudette wrote:
Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:

It's my favorite...

Mine too