Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:42 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 28th, 2008, 11:55 GMT
Posts: 1719
"I Feel a Change Comin' On"

Well I'm lookin the world over
Looking far off into the east
And i see my baby comin'
she's walking with the village priest
I feel a change is comin' on
and the last part of the day's already gone

We got so much in common
we strive for the same ol' ends
And I just can't wait
wait for us to become friends
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone

Well life is for love
And they say that love is blind
If you wanna live easy
Baby, pack your clothes with mine
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone

Well now what's the use in dreaming
You got better things to do
Dreams never did work for me anyway
Even when they did come true

You are as porous as ever
Baby you can start a fire
I must be losing my mind
You're the object of my desire
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone

I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver
And i'm reading James Joyce
Some people they tell me
I got the blood of the land in my voice

Everybody got all the money
Everybody got all the beautiful clothes
Everybody got all the flowers
I don't have one single rose
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:22 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 22nd, 2007, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 1292
Hi Sally,

Maybe you can help me with a question I posed earlier today, regarding IFACCO:

Quote:
I love the song (apart from the bogey name-dropping and braggadocio in the 2nd bridge) but here's the question:

He feels a change coming on, but what is it? What is the change? From what to what? Or, is it a change of woman? Is it a change of fortunes, given the glorious, sniffing whinge in the last verse? Is it a good change, or a woeful one?

It has me flummoxed - any suggestions?


Cheers! (By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 10th, 2009, 07:56 GMT
Posts: 1032
Location: 'neath the stars that shine
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
(By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )

Think so, too. Although there are some very entertaining suggestions over at bd.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 28th, 2008, 11:55 GMT
Posts: 1719
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Hi Sally,

Maybe you can help me with a question I posed earlier today, regarding IFACCO:

Quote:
I love the song (apart from the bogey name-dropping and braggadocio in the 2nd bridge) but here's the question:

He feels a change coming on, but what is it? What is the change? From what to what? Or, is it a change of woman? Is it a change of fortunes, given the glorious, sniffing whinge in the last verse? Is it a good change, or a woeful one?

It has me flummoxed - any suggestions?


Cheers! (By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )




I really don't know its a "swag" sophiscated wild-assed guess but because of the identification of the priest this guy in the song in my minds pictures is someone who feels he cant walk with a priest at least not yet but he appreciates that this lady can and thats what he seems to decide to want so he's willing to make a change so that he can also walk with him and also with her thats a stretch but it seems to be a romantic ballad ive only had a few listens so what do you think


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 28th, 2008, 11:55 GMT
Posts: 1719
littlesallysanctus wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Hi Sally,

Maybe you can help me with a question I posed earlier today, regarding IFACCO:

Quote:
I love the song (apart from the bogey name-dropping and braggadocio in the 2nd bridge) but here's the question:

He feels a change coming on, but what is it? What is the change? From what to what? Or, is it a change of woman? Is it a change of fortunes, given the glorious, sniffing whinge in the last verse? Is it a good change, or a woeful one?

It has me flummoxed - any suggestions?


Cheers! (By the way, it's almost universally accepted that he sings "whorish" in place of "porous" :D )




I really don't know its a "swag" sophiscated wild-assed guess but because of the identification of the priest this guy in the song in my minds pictures is someone who feels he cant walk with a priest at least not yet but he appreciates that this lady can and thats what he seems to decide to want so he's willing to make a change so that he can also walk with him and also with her thats a stretch but it seems to be a romantic ballad ive only had a few listens so what do you think




ps another stretch the wise men the "magi" looked for the star in the east i think to lead them to bethlahem it was an "epiphany" it changed them these kings of the world and they submitted their gifts to a greater king god (thats what the feast is referred to in the church) the feast of the epiphany ---but this lady had already apparently experienced an epiphany this wordly man was seeking one hahahahahahah i should give up analyzing lyrics its ok for you to laugh at this but everyone analyzes from their own frames of reference and individuals give their own meanings to a piece of art in lyric form i think for their enjoyment of the art


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:45 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 22nd, 2007, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 1292
Yeah, that's good. It's hard to know, and I suppose that's the way he prefers his lyrics: open-ended and subjective in meaning.

He's pursuing this gal and it's approaching night-time and he thinks he might be getting closer. But that could be just wishful thinking on his part.

What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess, though, SWAG or not! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:49 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 22nd, 2007, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 1292
littlesallysanctus wrote:

ps another stretch the wise men the "magi" looked for the star in the east i think to lead them to bethlahem it was an "epiphany" it changed them these kings of the world and they submitted their gifts to a greater king god (thats what the feast is referred to in the church) the feast of the epiphany ---but this lady had already apparently experienced an epiphany this wordly man was seeking one hahahahahahah i should give up analyzing lyrics its ok for you to laugh at this but everyone analyzes from their own frames of reference and individuals give their own meanings to a piece of art in lyric form i think for their enjoyment of the art


That's quite interesting actually! I hadn't made any connection with the star in the east. thanks for that. I think your "frames of reference" are quite sharp and I like them! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 27th, 2008, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 2588
Location: The Historic Abernathy Building
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess


Just as much as Neil Young had to do with Highlands. Or Erica Jong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 13:13 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 22nd, 2007, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 1292
Johanna Moore wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess


Just as much as Neil Young had to do with Highlands. Or Erica Jong.


Exactly, though both of them fit in a rambling tale. The Erica Jong reference - I thought - was sarcastic. He snorts a laugh after saying that.

I remember that Ice T had a rap called MVP's where he gave a shout-out to his favourite rappers. Maybe Bob should do a song like that & get it over with! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 13:34 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2008, 10:05 GMT
Posts: 157
The first verse is actually the last. Noted by the last part of the day is already gone line.

It sees the narrator in jail. Looking out from his prison cell.
Probably his last earthly day, thus his baby bringing the village priest.

Rest of the song is the story of their life going from good to bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 15:38 GMT 

Joined: Wed June 25th, 2008, 22:49 GMT
Posts: 2255
Location: Joliet, IL, USA
love the lyrics....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 27th, 2008, 15:23 GMT
Posts: 2588
Location: The Historic Abernathy Building
I always thought that she was walking with the village priest because she was about to get married to the narrator. Maybe this first verse is just his fantasy / wish / imagination though, as in the following four verses he appears to be courting her, but we don't know if he is successful. Like the first verse, the final two verses might be the narrator talking to himself again. Like in so many other songs, he comes away with nothing again, but is still only hoping for a chance. I tell myself something's coming, but it never does. Of course it's pure fiction. It's only a song after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 27th, 2006, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 1761
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess, though, SWAG or not! :lol:


In the RS interview Bob first says that the verse came out of nowhere and then changes his mind and says that astrologically (and subliminally) those names "wanted to be combined," so he put them together in the verse. He says it was "a Celtic thing." I'm not making this up! Sounds like he's making shit up as he goes along just like us! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:46 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat February 26th, 2005, 02:31 GMT
Posts: 10327
A beautiful song. The best track on TTL? Very well could be. Time will tell.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 20:36 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 30th, 2007, 22:44 GMT
Posts: 3974
Ugh. Here we go again...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 20:59 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue November 9th, 2004, 21:09 GMT
Posts: 6343
Location: Whorehouse in Buenos Aires
Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
A beautiful song. The best track on TTL? Very well could be. Time will tell.



It's my favorite...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:01 GMT 

Joined: Sun April 1st, 2007, 10:39 GMT
Posts: 459
she´s not walking with any stupid guy, but with the priest. After many letdowns more interested in metaphysics than in loveaffairs. The same with him. Only old artists make him live&he not even gets a rose. Both went through so many things, lands blood included. Know whats precious&remains, cause it´s the end of the day. Why not jump into again? It´s the best moment for easy passion&the hottest fire instead of dreams, hoping for religious gifts or reading James Joyce. I feel a chance comin' on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:39 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 28th, 2008, 11:55 GMT
Posts: 1719
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Yeah, that's good. It's hard to know, and I suppose that's the way he prefers his lyrics: open-ended and subjective in meaning.

He's pursuing this gal and it's approaching night-time and he thinks he might be getting closer. But that could be just wishful thinking on his part.

What Billy Jo and James Joyce have to do with it all is anyone's guess, though, SWAG or not! :lol:



I responded to this once and it got lost in expecting rain land somewhere----
other writers especially religious writers refer to the "close of day", "winter", "night" as the end of the world---or the end of one's personal world----admission of sin need for repentance need for reconcilliation with god

some writers then signal this as a time of a change like in renewal, refreshment, forgiven sins, second chance, second coming, baptismal experience

and the song just seems a romantic ballad and every new relationship or restored relationship is a baptismal experience sometimes occuring after an epiphany

i dont really know what dylan had in mind but it just seems a time of personal renewal a passage into a new way for a world weary world wise individual his voice is perfect for the songs on this new album of his something akin the way edgar allan poe set tonality in The Bells a younger dylan voice wouldnt have been able to convey all the range of emotions in this album i think

yep thats the draw here i think it sets a stage for a storied reality that the listener and the poet enter a world together and create together its a dance between the two the album is a completeness of conveyance very much like poe's The Bells

bad bob must have a good laugh louder than the frank ones on the album at all of us as we sort through his lyrics and attach meanings that just arent there when all he may be doing is putting sounds together that carry words


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:09 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue April 28th, 2009, 00:12 GMT
Posts: 5454
Location: The ants are my friends
Sounds like a song about a guy about to get married late in life to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 18:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 27th, 2006, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 1761
Maybe she's in a new relationship with the village priest. Maybe he catches them walking hand in hand and thinks, wow, a change is coming on!

Image

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/us/07priest.html?_r=1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 28th, 2008, 11:55 GMT
Posts: 1719
Johnnie Ray wrote:
Maybe she's in a new relationship with the village priest. Maybe he catches them walking hand in hand and thinks, wow, a change is coming on!

Image

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/us/07priest.html?_r=1




maybe she's actually his wife


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:17 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2005, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 9642
What is the change coming on? Well his baby is a she, not a he, and she is the object of his desire. So, he is not turning gay. They are not yet together, otherwise he would not suggest she pack her bags with his. I think he wants to marry her. Yep, that must be it.
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 17:49 GMT 

Joined: Sat November 4th, 2006, 00:48 GMT
Posts: 620
Location: Ontario
This is the song that stood out the most for me on first listen. There's a bit of a Mississippi feel to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 6th, 2015, 14:46 GMT 

Joined: Tue March 31st, 2015, 19:17 GMT
Posts: 17
Billy Jo Shaver is Dylan's sound and Joyce is Dylan's lyrics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 6th, 2015, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 5th, 2011, 06:05 GMT
Posts: 6396
Location: One Too Many Mornings and 1000 Miles Behind
Claudette wrote:
Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
A beautiful song. The best track on TTL? Very well could be. Time will tell.



It's my favorite...


Mine too


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Along_Came_Jones, dvdunplugged, Levitt, Mail Train, phale, smiley, wisertime206


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group