Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 17:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 12:47 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
FieldingMellish wrote:

There is no comparison whatsoever: Shelton's book has stood the test of time and remains the best biography, by far; the Sounes book is of course much more recent, but it cannot hold a candle to Shelton's.

How far does Shelton's book go though? And how would you compare Shelton and Ian Bell's books?

I enjoyed both of Ian Bell's books, but Shelton has a lot of strengths most subsequent biographers lack. yes, his book ends when it ends, but in terms of covering Dylan up to that point, it has not been surpassed or equalled. Bell's first volume is enjoyable, I liked it, but it's a bit scattershot; one of its best features is the way Bell writes about the earlier periods with the benefit of today's hindsight. The second Bell volume is the best I've read about renaissance Dylan (i.e. TOOM onwards).

PostPosted: Tue October 10th, 2017, 15:46 GMT 

FieldingMellish wrote:

I enjoyed both of Ian Bell's books, but Shelton has a lot of strengths most subsequent biographers lack. yes, his book ends when it ends, but in terms of covering Dylan up to that point, it has not been surpassed or equalled. Bell's first volume is enjoyable, I liked it, but it's a bit scattershot; one of its best features is the way Bell writes about the earlier periods with the benefit of today's hindsight. The second Bell volume is the best I've read about renaissance Dylan (i.e. TOOM onwards).

Thanks. I know I'll be tarred and feathered for saying it, I've never had much interest in info on Bob pre-66. That's why I haven't even considered Bells first book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12