Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 12:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 23rd, 2015, 12:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

homerthes wrote:
edenisburning wrote:
What was the title of that one old, out-of-print book that had Bob Dylan's collected late-'70s stage sermons? I forget the name but I really want of find a good old used beat-up copy. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thank you guys.

The small book that collected them all, do you mean? That was "SAVED!: THE GOSPEL SPEECHES OF BOB DYLAN " by Clinton Heylin

http://www.macba.cat/en/a03423

thank you homerthes
Have you read this Heylin book?

PostPosted: Mon November 23rd, 2015, 19:07 GMT 

Alouette wrote:

thank you homerthes
Have you read this Heylin book?

Yes. It is a collection of Dylan's speeches/raps/rants (delete as you see fit!), there's no commentary or analysis.

PostPosted: Mon November 23rd, 2015, 19:23 GMT 

homerthes wrote:
...there's no commentary or analysis.

Now, that is a surprise.

PostPosted: Mon November 23rd, 2015, 19:41 GMT 

It's a tiny booklet....

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 11:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

thank you
I looked it up, to possibly purchase
price for new copy is $999.11 :shock: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0 ... w&qid=&sr=

I did see used for around $40.
wondering if there is anything exclusive to this book, that's unavailable through other sources

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 12:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

out of print = rare = highly collectable

PostPosted: Tue December 1st, 2015, 02:20 GMT 

Elijah Wald's "Dylan Goes Electric!: Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the Night That Split the Sixties", is that a good read? Looked kind of a shady work at first but the Amazon reviews are positive.

Quote:
The applause built as Dylan came onstage, then faded to a low murmur as the musicians tested their instruments. Dylan strummed a few chords, and Bloomfield instructed Yarrow: “Put that up, man. Give Bobby a little more volume on that one.” Kooper played a burst of organ. Goldberg noodled for a moment on the piano. Dylan strummed his bass strings. “You want it louder?” Yarrow asked, and Bloomfield suggested, “More treble,” then murmured to Dylan: “Start it.” Dylan blew his harmonica into the vocal mike and began strumming again. “More, a little more,” Bloomfield instructed Yarrow, then: “OK.” By now Dylan was setting a steady rhythm, Lay came in behind him on the drums, and Bloomfield shouted like he was jumping on the running board of a getaway car—“Let’s go!”—and locked into a catchy backing riff. Dylan listened for a few seconds, getting the feel of the band, stepped to the microphone and blew a note, as if checking to see how it would sound, then stepped back again, looking around at the musicians and the crowd.

PostPosted: Tue December 1st, 2015, 20:07 GMT 

Alouette wrote:
thank you
I looked it up, to possibly purchase
price for new copy is $999.11 :shock: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0 ... w&qid=&sr=

I did see used for around $40.
wondering if there is anything exclusive to this book, that's unavailable through other sources

Just under £20 here 9also cutomer reviews you might find useful):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0937 ... ative=6738

$29.99 here:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... 20speeches

If I ever get my list of Dylan things to sell clearout #3 done, I'll pt this on it (for less than these crazy prices)

PostPosted: Tue December 1st, 2015, 20:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

TheGunfighter wrote:
Elijah Wald's "Dylan Goes Electric!: Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the Night That Split the Sixties", is that a good read? Looked kind of a shady work at first but the Amazon reviews are positive.

I'm due to pick this up at the library even though I'm very sick of hearing/reading about Dylan Newport '65.

Because Elijah Wald is a worthwhile writer - I'll give it glance.

PostPosted: Wed December 2nd, 2015, 21:27 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
TheGunfighter wrote:

I'm due to pick this up at the library even though I'm very sick of hearing/reading about Dylan Newport '65.

Because Elijah Wald is a worthwhile writer - I'll give it glance.

It's a great book, imo. Although, as the title suggests, it's as much about Seeger as it's about Dylan. Very well written and not as tedious as I thought it would be reading about Newport again. Quite enlightening, actually.

PostPosted: Thu December 3rd, 2015, 00:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Glancing through it - looks as though it will be interesting.

Wald won't give us a typical bland narrative that we already know so well. I liked his book Escaping The Delta. Good read if you're interested in Robert Johnson and or pre-war blues.

PostPosted: Tue December 8th, 2015, 20:34 GMT 

I came across this thread and read through it and endorse the positive messages about Ian Bell's books. There is one earlier book somewhat of that style not mentioned above which I think is good on the political and social context of the 60s. This is Wicked Messenger by Mike Marqusee.

For any fellow Brits reading this, one of the people in the acknowledgements list is Jeremy Corbyn! So maybe JC is a BD fan.

PostPosted: Wed December 9th, 2015, 09:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

The must own book for non Dylan fans is Robert Shelton's biography, because it reads without presuming the reader has much awareness of the oeuvre. It doesn't try to be flashy in terms of it's narrative structure. Of course the first chapter "Don't raise your voice around here" is out of chronology briefly (it's a great idea to start with 1955 and the James Dean film, "Rebel without a cause") That's the one to get started for sure

PostPosted: Thu December 10th, 2015, 13:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think this is going to be essential. :wink:

http://www.panorama.it/musica/bob-dylan-un-libro-tributo-e-un-cofanetto-deluxe/#gallery-0=slide-1

PostPosted: Thu December 10th, 2015, 20:48 GMT 

Just pick up a book by Daniel Mark Epstein - The Ballad of Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu December 10th, 2015, 21:15 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
From ‘The Ballad of Bob Dylan’ by Daniel Mark Epstein:

“Dylan was walking the heavy motorcycle from Grossman’s Drive down to Striebel Road towards Glasco Turnpike where he would get the bike repaired, and Sara was following him in the car. Somehow Dylan lost his balance on the slippery road and the motorcycle fell on him. That’s how he got hurt. That was the motorcycle accident.”

He then gives his source as:
“Information comes from confidential sources”

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Are you really soo naive that you believe that he got hurt by fall of the motorcycle ??

PostPosted: Fri December 11th, 2015, 16:38 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
From ‘The Ballad of Bob Dylan’ by Daniel Mark Epstein:

“Dylan was walking the heavy motorcycle from Grossman’s Drive down to Striebel Road towards Glasco Turnpike where he would get the bike repaired, and Sara was following him in the car. Somehow Dylan lost his balance on the slippery road and the motorcycle fell on him. That’s how he got hurt. That was the motorcycle accident.”

He then gives his source as:
“Information comes from confidential sources”

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In days gone by I was told the same, almost word for word (Striebel Road wasn't named) by either another or the same confidential source. Then again we've heard so many stories about it including - to also answer the response immediately above this - whether he was genuinely hurt to a real extent or not. (Which is not to say that an ill/wasted person cannot be hurt even by the above description.)

I doubt I'll ever know for sure, but anyway Epstein is likely telling the truth that he got that quote from a believable source (albeit we have that source may also have been misled - such is life in Bobland). I've got the Epstein book but I can't recall having read it. I'll have to check later.

PostPosted: Fri December 11th, 2015, 19:28 GMT 

I read the Epstein book and all that I can remember is being overwhelmed by the bright start and very underwhelmed by the end. In fairness, I may need to give it another go.

PostPosted: Fri December 11th, 2015, 21:35 GMT 

In terms of ESSENTIALS surely it must be as complete a version of the lyrics as possible , though the recent fully updated one is expensive , and then Chronicles, and then tarantula. After that there is rather a lot of choice!

PostPosted: Sat December 26th, 2015, 17:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Just received gift - 'The Nightingale's Code', by John Gibbens
Anyone read it?

PostPosted: Sat December 26th, 2015, 19:42 GMT 

"Bob Dylan Dream: My Life with Bob" by Roy Kelly.

Anyone who has read Roy's many contributions to The Telegraph and The Bridge over, let's be frank, almost countless years, should be joyful that he has published this book. His epic 40-pager, "Now and Again: The Ballad of a Then Man - A Virtual Truth", that introduced us to his fictional self, Ron Bobfan, published in The Telegraph #55 in 1996, was a wonderful and inspirational musing on Bob fandom, life, 1966, the universe, Walsall, Blonde on Blonde, and everything before, after, and in between.

This book takes us even further and deeper within and beyond that territory. Your Kindle, or your bookshelf, will not be complete without it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019E1M0LM/r ... YDNG8D8WMR

PostPosted: Sat December 26th, 2015, 21:43 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
"Bob Dylan Dream: My Life with Bob" by Roy Kelly.

Anyone who has read Roy's many contributions to The Telegraph and The Bridge over, let's be frank, almost countless years, should be joyful that he has published this book. His epic 40-pager, "Now and Again: The Ballad of a Then Man - A Virtual Truth", that introduced us to his fictional self, Ron Bobfan, published in The Telegraph #55 in 1996, was a wonderful and inspirational musing on Bob fandom, life, 1966, the universe, Walsall, Blonde on Blonde, and everything before, after, and in between.

This book takes us even further and deeper within and beyond that territory. Your Kindle, or your bookshelf, will not be complete without it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019E1M0LM/r ... YDNG8D8WMR

I remember reading his article on the Basement Tapes in The Telegraph and nodding enthusiastically all the way through it in the ay I used to do with dear old Paul Cable's wonderful "unreleased recordings" books. (There was a time when Cable was essential). I am in regular contact with Roy so I have ordered it.

oh and Alouette - yes I have read that. I may even have reviewed it. One book I really enjoyed that doesn't get mentioned often is this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Like-Complete-U ... 0972359206

PostPosted: Sun December 27th, 2015, 20:01 GMT 

Quite apart from wishing for an anthology of all Roy Kelly's contributions to The Telegraph, The Bridge, On The Tracks and any other publications I may have missed down the years, I think it would be wonderful and apposite for the late, great John Bauldie's "The Ghost of Electricity" to be reprinted next year. My own dog-eared copy was left inadvertently in a Houston hotel room in 1993 and never replaced.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Electrici ... lectricity

PostPosted: Sat January 2nd, 2016, 10:41 GMT 

Here's a review of Roy's book:
http://www.everysmith.com/not-dark-yet- ... -a-fanatic

PostPosted: Sun January 3rd, 2016, 13:43 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Quite apart from wishing for an anthology of all Roy Kelly's contributions to The Telegraph, The Bridge, On The Tracks and any other publications I may have missed down the years, I think it would be wonderful and apposite for the late, great John Bauldie's "The Ghost of Electricity" to be reprinted next year. My own dog-eared copy was left inadvertently in a Houston hotel room in 1993 and never replaced.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Electrici ... lectricity

Amen - I lost mine when I moved to Asia, many moons ago. 50 years on from 1966 would seem to be the perfect time, but who would be able to sanction and effect it now ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next