Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 06:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 1st, 2005, 08:18 GMT 

Maybe they used some old footage, big deal. To me Dylan didn't seem uninspired at all, that is always how I thought he was. Did you expect him to carry a fake smile throughout the entire interview? Listen to his music, for pete's sake. His answers had a lot of detail. He was brutally honest where other artsits wouldn't be. In regards to the magic of songwriting he responds to the question "can you still do it" with "no....I can do other things now, but I can't do that." Most people will say "I can do it, but not as well" Dylan just gives you the truth. It seems he's not afraid to see himself losing what he had, he accepts his destiny. The interview shows his untrusting eyes, his humble honesty, his blatant pessimism. He music is real, but he himself seems so unreal. I almost couldn't believe that there were people who talk with that rough hesitation, and look at you with such piercing eyes. The best actor in the world couldn't have played the part with the cadence and expression that he has naturally. Bob Dylan himself is straight out of a book...and thank God that are at least some people who have never looked at the world in the traditional way. Sure people say that you can't trust everything he says, but that's the idea. That's what makes him great. The last thing he said was nothing short of haunting. I believe every word, he knows he can't stop playing...it's a curse he can't get away from. A teacher of mine always told me that real artsits are cursed, not blessed because they can't seperate themselves from the art. They are bound to it, ball and chain. Dylan knows he is such an artist.

PostPosted: Sun January 2nd, 2005, 03:32 GMT 

nice review.

matto311 wrote:
I believe every word, he knows he can't stop playing...it's a curse he can't get away from. A teacher of mine always told me that real artsits are cursed, not blessed because they can't seperate themselves from the art. They are bound to it, ball and chain. Dylan knows he is such an artist.

Every time I think about this I'm reminded of the poem "Words" by William Butler Yeats. The last couple lines of the poem are

I might have thrown poor words away
And been content to live.

But he couldn't have thrown them away, and the most he can do is recognize that he didn't.