Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 19th, 2014, 03:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 03:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

from ER front page :

n March 31, Norah Jones commemorated the 10th anniversary of The Living Room with a midnight performance at the intimate Manhattan music venue where the singer got her start. After a few numbers, she played a new song and explained that it originated from newly-found Hank Williams lyrics that she was had been asked to put music to. She also mentioned that she "was probably not supposed to play this."

So we did a little digging, and it turns out there's even more new music planned for those Williams lyrics. According to Keith Atkinson, an attorney who reps Hank's daughter Jett Williams and the estate, the song is a part of what's been referred to over the decades as the Shoebox Songs -- several notebooks and a few scraps of paper -- that Williams' mother had turned over to music publisher Acuff-Rose (which is owned by Sony) when he died. "Finally, we came up with the brilliant idea [to have] Bob Dylan, who's a huge Hank fan, put music to it," Atkinson says, "and he decided he wanted to involve some other folks that are world-class artists." Sony is mum on who else is participating, but the label told Atkinson an album is 80 percent complete and would be out for the holiday season.

We can't recall whether Jones had a name for the Williams-inspired song, but it went something like this: "Night after night I've cried over you/Hoping someday you'll be true/You took my heart, tore it apart.. How many times have you broken my heart." It was definitely enough to whet our appetites for the rest of this project.

(http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/04/ ... s-and.html -yeah I know, it's not the NY Times, but it's a good news ! -)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 04:16 GMT 

The only other artists I know that are participating are Jack White and Willie Nelson. More may have been mentioned, but that's all I can remember.

Should be a cracking collection, particularly with Bob at the helm. Wonder if it will be a "Jack Frost Production"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 04:21 GMT 

Lucinda Williams, also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 04:55 GMT 

You know who would be great for this...

Brooks & Dunn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 14:30 GMT 

Gillian Welch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 14:36 GMT 

hank wiliams is that kind artist you listen to it all day long and not get bored...

looking forward to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 17:09 GMT 

dancin' child wrote:
hank wiliams is that kind artist you listen to it all day long and not get bored...

looking forward to it...

Really? Because I can't get into it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 19:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
She also mentioned that she "was probably not supposed to play this."

Lol
Don't suppose anyone taped it did they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 22:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

If it's 80% finished, why does release have to wait til the holiday season? Are you sure Hank done it this way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 22nd, 2008, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey, Johnny Mac you are back good to see another from the ole bob site sad to see that one gooooo

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 13:05 GMT 

So how much do we know about this project.

Jack White talked about it in NME last year saying.

"20-25 unfinished songs by Hank Williams, just the lyrics, no music, and he started to ask people if they would finish these songs"

Artists

Bob Dylan
Jack White - You Know That I Know
Willie Nelson
Lucinda Williams
Alan Jackson
Norah Jones

Are there any other artists reported to take part in this album that we know?

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 13:22 GMT 

I hope Ryan Adams participates! He would be great for this...

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 14:16 GMT 

I did a podcast/article on the Hank Williams project a little over a year ago which may be of interest...

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2008/01 ... songs.html

The last report I've seen about the project was the August, 2008 obituary of Don Helms where it was noted that one of his last sessions was with Vince Gill "on an album of uncompleted Hank Williams songs."

I've been wondering where the "80 percent complete" project is myself, and am leaning towards the theory that, if it's completed, Sony may have decided that they didn't want to get into competition or comparison with "The Unreleased Recordings" set from Time-Life (which I think is marvelous, btw) over the Christmas season. But that's just speculation. It's worth noting that in one form or another this has been a Dylan project since 2004, according to reports.

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 15:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, the "holiday season" has come and gone........ :?

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 16:19 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
I did a podcast/article on the Hank Williams project a little over a year ago which may be of interest...

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2008/01 ... songs.html

The last report I've seen about the project was the August, 2008 obituary of Don Helms where it was noted that one of his last sessions was with Vince Gill "on an album of uncompleted Hank Williams songs."

That makes it 7 known artists

Bob Dylan
Jack White - You Know That I Know
Willie Nelson
Lucinda Williams
Alan Jackson
Norah Jones
Vince Gill w/Don Helms

So what would be your top3 wish list contributors to this album?

mine

Merle Haggard
Tom Waits
Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings

PostPosted: Wed January 14th, 2009, 19:16 GMT 

TWZ wrote:
Tom Waits

Yes, please! What he did with that Cole Porter song was amazing. Who knows what he would do with Hank?

PostPosted: Thu January 15th, 2009, 08:53 GMT 

Just arrived home. On the way I listened to 'Lonely Tombs' from the new box set of old Hank recordings. Its brilliant and so reminiscent of 'Lone Pilgrim'. Great song, super performance by a legend!

PostPosted: Thu January 15th, 2009, 11:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

this should be interesting, let's hope it lives up to or exceeds expectations. i know billy bragg got involved with a similar project involving old woody guthrie leftovers but i dunno how good it was (?).

patti smith used to introduce her version of the velvets 'pale blue eyes' by saying that lou reed had written it for hank williams who' died in a the back of a limo on the way to a gig'. does anyone know if pale blue eyes was really about hank???

PostPosted: Thu January 15th, 2009, 13:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
this should be interesting, let's hope it lives up to or exceeds expectations. i know billy bragg got involved with a similar project involving old woody guthrie leftovers but i dunno how good it was (?).

Him and Wilco did two Guthrie albums. I remember the first one being pretty good, don't recall if I listened to the second album.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2009, 20:37 GMT 

The recent Spectacle: Elvis Costello With... (Episode 8 airing on the Sundance Channel throughout this week) featured a "guitar pull" that included Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash, John Mellencamp and Norah Jones. As noted on the "Spectacle" blog: "And the radiant Norah Jones brings that incredible voice and a new song she wrote with…well, I won’t spoil it, but it’s kind of mind-boggling..."

The "mind-boggling" song was the unfinished Hank Williams tune, and it is simply beautiful.

Time after time you’ve proven untrue

Norah originally debuted the song in April 2008 in NYC, and apparently decided to repeat it for Spectacle (all the episodes of Spectacle currently airing where shot in 2008). Interestingly, Jones was very careful not to mention Bob Dylan's name, simply saying "they" were putting together a collection of unfinished Williams' tunes, "they" had sent her a group of songs to choose from, and she had selected the one she played.

I really want to hear this compilation, and hope Dylan is still involved with it.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2009, 21:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

Me too, I just hope it's not the new album being "whispered" about.

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2009, 00:08 GMT 

I'd like to first see Gillian Welch and David Rawlings on this (and I'm still waiting to hear Dylan play them on TTR!), then Leon Redbone, then a duet with John Prine and Iris DeMent, then Tom Waits, then Beck, then Greg Brown, and finally Steve Earle. I'd actually scrub Lucinda Williams and let Gillian Welch and David Rawlings take a crack at two or three of Hank's lyrics!

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2009, 05:05 GMT 

Emmylou Harris
Bob Dylan
Charlie Louvin
Jerry Lee Lewis
Keith Richards
Gillan Welch
Jack White
Wilco

Side 2:
Levon Helm
Norah Jones
Willie Nelson
Guy Clark
George Jones
Ryan Adams
Del McCoury Band
B.B. King

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2009, 05:23 GMT 

Gillian Welch is someone I think more people should hear, but has she got writer's block or something because she hasnt had new material out for ages?

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2009, 06:02 GMT 

Gillian Welch is the best. Flat out (Dylan excepted, of course).

I cannot figure out what is up with why she hasn't put out a record in almost six years. I do not think it it writer's block because I have heard six or seven excellent new songs in her concerts and from live recordings in the past five years: "Spiritual Way," "The Way It Will Be," "From Under the Sea," and others (those are just the ones off the top of my head). They are really fine songs. There have been rumors that she was recording and the new album would be due out soon for three consecutive years or so. For a while I thought she might be pregnant or something, but she appears in concert with enough regularity for that to demonstrably not the case. It is a huge mystery to me. But nobody has more talent, intensity, and vision than her and David Rawlings, except Dylan, of course. Unlike Dylan, she has no slip ups, wrong moves, or poorly written or recorded songs, but she is only 13 years into her recording career, although she'll be 41 this year.

In terms of songwriting and performance, Welch and Rawlings are the only ones that, in my feeble mind, can legitimately claim to inhabit the rarefied atmosphere of Dylan's finest work. Of course, the comparison is absurd because it takes two performers to achieve such a feat with a mere four albums whereas Dylan has been been ranging through genres and styles with a Whitmanesque breadth and endurance for 47 years and in 32 studio albums. So, it's like comparing a steady, intense fire with a blazing inferno. But, there it is. I'm an admirer and I await new albums from both Welch and Dylan with anticipation.