Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed January 24th, 2018, 09:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Albums you turn to...
PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 05:21 GMT 

...when you've nearly exhausted your favorite albums. For example, I love Blood On The Tracks (it's my favorite album), but I found myself listening almost solely to that for a long, long time. I still love it, but I don't want to burn myself out on it. So I've been making an attempt to just not listen to it, so it can feel special again. Thankfully it's been done before, but I was wondering what other people's favorite Dylan albums are and what they listen to if they ever feel like they've been spinning a certain album for too long. Lately it's been:

-New Skin for the Old Ceremony
-Death of a Ladies Man (my last thread made me look at the album more closely, and I like it more than a thought I would)
- Astral Weeks
- Kind of Blue
- Bitches Brew
- Street-Legal, still peppering a little Dylan for good measure

Any albums anyone else has been putting on to change the pace a bit?

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 05:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

ShotofMercy wrote:
-Death of a Ladies Man (my last thread made me look at the album more closely, and I like it more than a thought I would)

I haven't listened in 20 years but it's still there on my shelf, waiting for me. That thread brought it to mind, but I haven't listened yet.

I'm sad about it, but albums like Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Love and Theft, etc. will never again move me like they once did. I've listened to all of them hundreds of times. I don't regret it, though. Not much to be gained by saving it.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 06:04 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
...when you've nearly exhausted your favorite albums. For example, I love Blood On The Tracks (it's my favorite album), but I found myself listening almost solely to that for a long, long time. I still love it, but I don't want to burn myself out on it. So I've been making an attempt to just not listen to it, so it can feel special again. Thankfully it's been done before, but I was wondering what other people's favorite Dylan albums are and what they listen to if they ever feel like they've been spinning a certain album for too long. Lately it's been:

-New Skin for the Old Ceremony
- Astral Weeks
- Kind of Blue
- Bitches Brew
- Street-Legal, still peppering a little Dylan for good measure

Any albums anyone else has been putting on to change the pace a bit?

I usually safe 'kind of blue' for when driving through thunder storms...

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 06:38 GMT 

smoke wrote:
ShotofMercy wrote:

I haven't listened in 20 years but it's still there on my shelf, waiting for me. That thread brought it to mind, but I haven't listened yet.

I'm sad about it, but albums like Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Love and Theft, etc. will never again move me like they once did. I've listened to all of them hundreds of times. I don't regret it, though. Not much to be gained by saving it.

I put Love and Theft away for a few years, came back to it recently and really enjoyed it. Blonde on Blonde, as blasphemous as it may be, is not entirely my bag. I listen to Visions of Johanna and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands but I don't spin that often. I like listening to it in with other people, oddly enough. I once didn't listen to Blood On The Tracks for about a year or two and put it on after a stormy fall day and was pulled in again. I can talk about the album whenever, but just because I want to listen to more of his work/ other artists I feel the need to shelve it. It'll be back, though. The lyrics and music are addicting enough, but I absolutely love his singing on that record and will put it on in the future.

Death of a Ladies Man is growing on me, albeit very slowly. I still question some decisions that were made but I can listen to it. His first album might make it into rotation this coming weekend!

Also, "Lisa" that sounds like a good idea! Sorry I didn't quote you, but that sounds like perfect weather for that album, especially All Blues.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 13:27 GMT 

I go back to All Mod Cons by The Jam. First album I ever heard/owned. Still gets me going almost 40 years later.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 14:35 GMT 

Street legal,planet waves and new morning for me when it comes to Bob

Do you know what i mean - oasis

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 15:46 GMT 

Mixed Bag: Richie Havens
Ballads: John Coltrane
Secrets: Robert Palmer

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 17:26 GMT 

These five albums I probably go to the most frequently:

1. Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
2. David Gray - Lost Songs 86-95
3. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
4. Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
5. The Weepies - Say I Am You

If I could have only five (Non-Bob) albums, I'd pick these. For Bob, Love & Theft all the way.

Post subject: Albums you turn to...
PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 21:24 GMT 

When I don’t feel my gut tugging me towards any particular Bob album I’ll sometimes play either Biograph or Telltale Signs. More often then not, something I hear will rekindle my interest in one album or another. Lately though it has mostly been Leonard Cohen (a lot of Dear Heather and Ten New Songs, but any of his albums are fair game right now) or Sufjan Stevens’ (Carrie and Lowell or Age of Adz). Actually, besides some Christmas music for a couple days in December and Joshua Tree on my way to see U2, I’m not sure I’ve intentionally listened to anything other than Bob, Leonard, and Sufjan for months, haha. I’ve tried, but haven’t found anything else as beneficial to my daily survival (to put it as Leonard did when asked about what he listens to) as these.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 22:26 GMT 

From Elvis In Memphis - Elvis Presley
The Band - The Band
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Link Wray - Link Wray
At Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
Unplugged - Eric Clapton

I find myself listening to 50s Rock & Roll compilations/playlists (Berry, Holly, Richard, etc) quite a lot as well

PostPosted: Thu January 18th, 2018, 00:15 GMT 

Veedon Fleece by Van Morrison

Any Nina Simone.

Any Ink Spots.

The history of american folk. Songs of hope and struggle. An anthology of American folk songs.

Paul Brady and Andy Irvine album 1977.

Anything by the Johnstons, especially the album with Ye Jacobites by Name song on it. Can't play that enough.

Adventures in Afropea 3- Telling songs from the Sea. A David Byrne compiled collection of gorgeous songs from Lison, Angola, Cape Verde amongst others. 'Sodade' sung by Cesaria Evora is to die for.

Anything I can find by Leroy Carr and Scrapper Blackwell.

And then maybe I'm ready for Bob Dylan again. Back to Thunder on the Mountain!