Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 07:11 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Southern Pacific Express
PostPosted: Mon December 6th, 2004, 17:21 GMT 

Yes, he looked good. Some thoughts while I watched the interview:

Art is a kind of innate drive that seizes a human being and makes him its instrument. To perform this difficult office it is sometimes necessary for him to sacrifice happiness and everything that makes life worth living for the ordinary human being. Carl Jung.

The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which makes you lonely. Lorraine Hansberry

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. Bertrand Russell

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings. Pearl S. Buck

Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions. David Borenstein

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right. Henry Ford

Lying is done with words and also with silence. Adrienne Rich

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. Abraham Lincoln

The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back. Abigail Van Buren

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. Albert Einstein

If you will think about what you ought to do for other people, your character will take care of itself. Character is a by-product, and any man who devotes himself to its cultivation in his own case will become a selfish prig. Woodrow Wilson

In his later years Pablo Picasso was not allowed to roam an art gallery unattended, for he had previously been discovered in the act of trying to improve on one of his old masterpieces. Unknown

Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got. Janis Joplin

Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done. Harriet Beecher Stowe

Consult your friend on all things, especially on those which respect yourself. His counsel may then be useful where your own self-love might impair your judgment. Seneca

Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family. Virginia Satir

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine De Saint-Exupery

There are two dilemmas that rattle the human skull: How do you hang on to someone who won't stay? And how do you get rid of someone who won't go? Danny Devito (War of the Roses)

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. Mohandas K. Gandhi

As only New Yorkers know, if you can get through the twilight, you'll live through the night. Dorothy Parker

Wherever a man may happen to turn, whatever a man may undertake, he will always end up by returning to the path which nature has marked out for him. Goethe

And on a personal note:

There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in travelling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position, and be bruised in a new place. Washington Irving.

It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, nor to succeed in order to persevere. Charles the Bold (1433-1477)

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain,
My friends, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case of which I'm certain.
I've lived a life that's full, I've travelled each and evr'y highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way. Paul Anka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon December 6th, 2004, 23:45 GMT 

"He not busy being born is looking for a heart that must have the courage for the changing of the guard" Bobby D

"Let it out to let it in or you may not know what is whole and true to be to be you and you and you...the last you did not know it was there."
I and I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue December 7th, 2004, 05:48 GMT 

thank you for posting this. i'm going to read it a few more times at the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue December 7th, 2004, 07:25 GMT 
thoroughly inspiring quotations....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed December 8th, 2004, 20:07 GMT 
sarah wrote:
thank you for posting this. i'm going to read it a few more times at the least.

Thank you. It is reported Mr. Bob said once said he wanted to be bigger than Elvis. Well, Elvis was a handsome, sensual man with a great voice and an outrageous showman. He appealed to popular taste and most everybody enjoyed him, but he didn’t compose and he hardly played an instrument. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Mr. Dylan is far more esoteric -- his art is versatile, elegant and in some ways defies description. He WAS a Zeitgeist, like it or not, and that’s certainly a more accurate label, if one must use one, than those mentioned in the interview. He’s a poet, songwriter and a musician. That is his métier. Books and movies, in my humble opinion, are not.

The sanitized, conventional account (although not approach or style) in Chronicles is significant only in what it leaves out. Setting the record straight? Aw, come on Bob. Not that anyone expected a true confessions type revelation. (After all, they’ll have plenty to talk about when he’s gone). Mr. Dylan strives for modesty and for that he is to be commended, but the “oh shucks, plain lil’ ol’ meâ€￾ makes for an uncomfortable, dissembling tone -- but then, he always was a storyteller. I’m an idiot, a sinner and far too passionate for my own good, but I suppose if I were to write my story, I’d also like to put myself in a favorable light (I couldn’t help it, I was entranced) -- write it like I’d like to be remembered and spare a few folks pain or embarrassment while I was at it.

I bet quite a few harmless, if a bit overly enthusiastic fans who were on the scene in Woodstock, had their feelings hurt by Mr. Dylan’s harsh assessment of them. You’d think he would have been touched and flattered by the trust and devotion of those who sought him out. (After all, those were the days of love and peace-- before celebrity stalkers became common). He could have chosen to live in a more remote, inaccessible area, if he was that concerned. Nevertheless, Nashville Skyline was probably his “happiestâ€￾ album, particularly right after John Wesley Harding.

And whereas some women in his life were lauded in Chronicles, others were ignored completely. He might have at least made allusions….it wouldn’t have “stolenâ€￾ his fragile destiny. One has to surmise, these folks will have had to seriously contemplate the nature of forgiveness. Oh well, there is always Chronicles II and III, but if he is wise, he’ll try to get out of the contract and devote his time and energies elsewhere. One autobiography is probably enough for even the greatest of men.

Mr. Dylan was reported to have once said he is only happy when he is on stage. Perhaps he may want, or even need to pay attention at this time, to his sadly neglected personal life. It may even reconnect him, to some extent, to that well stream of creativity he talked about. On some level I believe he knows this. Even if it were possible, in order to repeat the past, as he suggests in one song, one would have to assume both parties were content with the results. It is so unlike him, at any rate, to use the same modus operandi. It may already be too late -- on the other hand, perhaps not. There is only one way to find out. It requires courage to face that reality with too many heads and to do what one feels one cannot. Much, too much, has been sacrificed on the altar of art.

He expressed regret that he can no longer compose the songs of the 1960s but wisely realizes those times are gone -- “don’t look backâ€￾ and all that. After all, as prolific as he has been, he has more than fulfilled his bargain with the Chief. As it is, it’s questionable if and when God is in a bargaining frame of mind .

Happy Hanukkah -- Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Liberal Quaker, a combination thereof, what does it matter…it’s still the same man.