Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue April 24th, 2018, 10:50 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Misheard Dylan lyrics
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 18:44 GMT 

There's a great site called http://www.kissthisguy.com/ , which is a site about misheard song lyrics. The website's address is from Hendrix's "Purple Haze", prolly one of th most famous misheard lyrics around.

Anyway, thought we could start a thread of misheard Dylan lyrics. We want to know what you thought Dylan said, what the real lyrics are, how long you thought they were the real lyrics, and how you discovered you were wrong. Also, what's your opinion of the misheard lyric, like it better or worst than the real one?

Mine is the BOTT outtake, "Up To Me". The line goes "for 14 months, I've only smiled once, and I didn't do it consciously." I misheard it as "For 14 months, I voiced my wants, and I didn't do it consciously."

I've been listening to that song for years, prolly since 2000 or 2001. Didn't find out I was wrong till mid May 2007, and it was ER that made me aware of the error of my ways.. Someone had that as their signature here on ER, and the line kept going thru my head, trying to place it. Took me a few minutes to remember it came from "Up to Me", but that wasn't the way I remembered the line going.

So I popped in my burned copy of BOTT, listened to the song again. To tell the truth, I can hear how Dylan is saying "only smiled once", but the way he sings it, it still sounds very much like "voiced my wants". Actually, it's easier for me to hear him say the misheard than the actual real lyric.

I like both lines, but I actually like the "voiced my wants" better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 18:51 GMT 

the one that comes to mind is "i've been down on the bottom of a world full of lies" i thought he said bottle not bottom. i actually think bottle sounds better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 19:06 GMT 

KRS1 wrote:
the one that comes to mind is "i've been down on the bottom of a world full of lies" i thought he said bottle not bottom. i actually think bottle sounds better.

When this song was new, I wasn't sure if he sang "world full" or "whirlpool".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 19:20 GMT 

I can't think of any misheard Dylan lyrics off the top of my head, but this reminds me of the story of how Dylan was the first person to get The Beatles high on pot. He thought that the line "It's such a feeling that my love, I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hide" from I Want To Hold Your Hand was saying "It's such a feeling that my love, I Get high! I get high!, I get high!".

So he dropped by their hotel room when they were in NYC with some reefer. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 19:56 GMT 

For a long time I thought "The sky cracked it`s poems in naked wonder" was "The sky cracked it`s forms in naked wonder" (Chimes of Freedom).
I also thought the first line of "New Pony" was "I got a new pony, her name is Lucy-bird", although I heard the correct "her name is Lucifer" on the repeat of the line, and I couldn`t understand why it was different that time around!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 20:14 GMT 

Quote:
For a long time I thought "The sky cracked it`s poems in naked wonder" was "The sky cracked it`s forms in naked wonder" (Chimes of Freedom).

Funny, I always thought it was "The sky cracked it`s palms in naked wonder" until I watched No Direction Home with closed-captions on. That was also when I realized that the location of the first verse in Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues is "Rue Morgue Avenue,"
and not "Rue Mark Avenue".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 20:30 GMT 

Cracked it`s Palms? That`s a good one! I`ll tell you another one, and I find this one a bit embarrassing, actually.
When I first heard "Blind Willie McTell" I thought instead of "the arrow on the doorpost", he sang "the arrow on the DARTBOARD"!!
It made no sense at all, but it never occured to me that I had misheard it, and to check the lyric book.
I think that sometimes I must be, what is known in medical circles as a dumb bastard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 22:13 GMT 

'Queen Mary, she's my friend' i thought for a long time was 'we marry, she's my friend' which really confuses things!

incidentally in lucy in the sky with diamonds i heard lennon sing....i 'answerply slowly' instead of the real 'I answer quite slowly'. I prefer mine.

Last edited by Like a squire on Fri June 1st, 2007, 23:00 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Wow.
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 22:22 GMT 

The second time ER has exposed a misheard lyric for me. I thought it was "we marry" too, until I just read your post. Yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 22:52 GMT 

Like a squire wrote:
'Queen Mary, she's my friend' i thought for a long time was 'we marry, she's my friend' which really confuses things!

Thanks for sorting that out, it's been confusing me for years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 22:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Billy-the-kid wrote:
Quote:

Funny, I always thought it was "The sky cracked it`s palms in naked wonder" until I watched No Direction Home with closed-captions on. ....
Me too, until I watched NDH and they had the lyrics disolve up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 23:11 GMT 

I got a bunch of those.

Things Have Changed:

He sang:
"I hurt easy, I just don't show it"
I heard:
"I heard hi' singin', I just don't show it"

He sang:
"You can't win with a losing hand"
I heard:
"You can't win within a losing path"

I'm too tired to remember more. But I know there's a lot of them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 23:17 GMT 

Location: Maybe down in Mexico or a picture upon somebodys shelf
I cursed her one time and I wrote on her head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri June 1st, 2007, 23:38 GMT 

No-one's mentioned probably the most misheard Dylan lyric of "We split up on the docks that night" as "We split up on a dark sad night"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 00:05 GMT 

Snowcap wrote:
KRS1 wrote:

I always thought 'whirlpool' too, and it makes more sense to me, but if Bob ever sings 'whirlpool' in a live performance it'll be all his own idea of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 00:18 GMT 

onemorecup wrote:
Snowcap wrote:
KRS1 wrote:

I always thought 'whirlpool' too, and it makes more sense to me, but if Bob ever sings 'whirlpool' in a live performance it'll be all his own idea of course!

No no, if he ever sings "whirlpool" we'll sue him! 8)

One of the things that made me think it might be "whirlpool of lies", is that he sings "whirlpool of life" (or "lies", I don't remember) in the "Bootleg Series" version of "When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky".

Last edited by Snowcap on Sat June 2nd, 2007, 04:21 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 01:11 GMT 

Night Watchman wrote:
No-one's mentioned probably the most misheard Dylan lyric of "We split up on the docks that night" as "We split up on a dark sad night"?

Actually, "dark sad night" is the real lyric, not docks that night.

Taken from www.bobdylan.com

She was married when we first met
Soon to be divorced
I helped her out of a jam, I guess,
But I used a little too much force.
We drove that car as far as we could
Abandoned it out West
[b]Split up on a dark sad night[/b]
Both agreeing it was best.
She turned around to look at me
As I was walkin' away
I heard her say over my shoulder,
"We'll meet again someday on the avenue,"
Tangled up in blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 01:23 GMT 

really? its really "dark sad night?" lol...oh man well i dont care im gonna keep hearing "split up on the docks that night".. i like the imagery better actually.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 04:12 GMT 

NoOneBehind wrote:
really? its really "dark sad night?" lol...oh man well i dont care im gonna keep hearing "split up on the docks that night".. i like the imagery better actually.. lol

what are you talking it about. It is "split up on the docks that night". I refuse to hear anything else. Sorry bob. dark sad night pffffahhh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 06:28 GMT 

Blind Willie McTell: I heard " Where many a march has failed" instead of "Where many martyrs fell". And I heard "A whirlpool of lies" in Not Dark Yet too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 07:46 GMT 

I once thought he sang "I eat when hungry, drink while I drive" in "Standing in the Doorway" instead of "...drink when I'm dry".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 07:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

We've been here before on an earlier ER "Misheard Lyrics" thread.

The undisputed winner, then and now, is "Yeti and me" for "Idiot Wind".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 08:12 GMT 

Eddie wrote:
We've been here before on an earlier ER "Misheard Lyrics" thread.

The undisputed winner, then and now, is "Yeti and me" for "Idiot Wind".

Really? On the song Idiot Wind you mean? I always assumed it said "Yeti and me". Either that or "I buried Paul". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 17:10 GMT 

In Dignity i always heard

"said he'd give me information if his name wasn't used"

as "said he'd give me information if his name wsn't Hughes"!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2007, 12:12 GMT 

berenlazarus wrote:
Night Watchman wrote:

Actually, "dark sad night" is the real lyric, not docks that night.

Sorry, I knew that, just mixed it up. But it only ironically states my point, that's what I was really doing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next