Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 11:16 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 19:52 GMT 

1. Love and Theft
2. Modern Times
3. Nashville Skyline

Not saying I dislike any of these albums but just feel that they're vastly overrated by a lot of fans. What do you all think? FWIW and not wanting to be too negative I also think that Planet Waves, Street Legal and Another Side of are underrated 8)

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

modern times
john wesley harding (dryest of all post folk albums)
World Gone Wrong (outside of Delia and maybe Love Henry, the performances are just not very good. Today while reading the lyrics on the Lone Pligrim thread did i find out what the mumbling was all about.)

honorable mention: New Morning. TTL.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Around these parts, Oh Mercy, S-L and Time Outta Mind

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:17 GMT 

'Street-Legal' is a horrible album and for some reason people like it. Other average to mediocre albums that people seem to enjoy include 'Oh Mercy' (which is OK, nothing more) and 'Together Through Life' (which is almost instantly forgettable). All of Dylan's best albums are "rated" properly, IMO. Lots of people like 'Highway 61' and 'Blonde on Blonde' and 'Freewheelin'' and the like because they are among the best albums any popular artist has ever put out.

As to underrated, 'Another Side' has its drunken charm, and 'Planet Waves' has some of Dylan's best vocals. I don't really know if anybody underrates them, though, they seem to get their proper due. Certainly not Top Tier Dylan, but nice enough. As compared to 'Street-Legal,' which is a dying cat of an album.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:19 GMT 

goombay wrote:
modern times
john wesley harding (dryest of all post folk albums)
World Gone Wrong (outside of Delia and maybe Love Henry, the performances are just not very good. Today while reading the lyrics on the Lone Pligrim thread did i find out what the mumbling was all about.)

honorable mention: New Morning. TTL.

In no universe is JWH an overrated album.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:29 GMT 

I know that bringing it all home has to be on this list because when i got it i thought what are people on about.

And ofcourse

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:30 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
'Street-Legal' is a horrible album and for some reason people like it. Other average to mediocre albums that people seem to enjoy include 'Oh Mercy' (which is OK, nothing more) and 'Together Through Life' (which is almost instantly forgettable). All of Dylan's best albums are "rated" properly, IMO. Lots of people like 'Highway 61' and 'Blonde on Blonde' and 'Freewheelin'' and the like because they are among the best albums any popular artist has ever put out.

As to underrated, 'Another Side' has its drunken charm, and 'Planet Waves' has some of Dylan's best vocals. I don't really know if anybody underrates them, though, they seem to get their proper due. Certainly not Top Tier Dylan, but nice enough. As compared to 'Street-Legal,' which is a dying cat of an album.

Agree that best albums are rated properly so they're kinda out of the debate. It's the second and third tier that are sometimes under or overrated. As for SL any album with Senor, Dark Heat and COTG on it is ok by me

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:46 GMT 

I would have Freewheelin' top of the over-rated list.

I don't think I've ever been able to play it all the way through more than once or twice.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:50 GMT 

^ I agree

And to make 3 I would add:
Infidels
New Morning

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 20:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

Slow Train Coming
"Love & Theft"
Modern Times

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 21:22 GMT 

Slow Train Coming
World Gone Wrong
Together Through Life

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 21:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

these over-rated/under-rated threads are really over-rated. All it comes down to is "I like these LPs and I don't Like those LP's and I think those who disagree are silly and misguided". My question to you all is this - SO WHAT? If someone thinks Down Under The Groove is over-rated they obviously haven't read any reviews, very few people thought much of it - which doesn't mean it's rubbish, just that it isn't generally rated very highly. If someone thinks Blonde On Blonde is under-rated the same applies - it is mostly thought of as a work of quasi genius even if you personally hate it. I think one should look the words over-rated and under-rated up in a dictionary before passing comment - they have both nothing (in the wide view) and everything (in the narrow) to do with personal, subjective, opinion. Is Measure for Measure an under-rated Shakeseare play? Possibly, because it is overshadowed by possibly greater plays. Is Self portrait an over-rated Dylan LP - obviously not, like it or not it is usually 'rated' pretty low by the majority. Right or wrong, those are the facts. Let's talk about something that matters - like cheese.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 21:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cheddar is so overrated.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 21:58 GMT 

As a matter of cheese I just had some Danish blue - can't be overrated, I think.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

effort wrote:
As a matter of cheese I just had some Danish blue - can't be overrated, I think.

Agreed - even Tescos own brand at £1.99 is fab. Thank you for your good sense.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:28 GMT 

Dare I say "The Basement Tapes"?

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

what brand of cheese is that? STAY ON SUBJECT!

In comparison to Pont L'Eveque I consider Camembert to be over-rated. I suspect it is the smell factor. The Basement Tapes get stinkier the fewer there are which is a strange conundrum, but then aren't they all?

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:49 GMT 

on this site, love & theft. there was a 3 fav albums thread a while back and I think it got more votes than highway '61 and blonde On blonde. :shock:

by critics, basement tapes & another side. basement tapes was overrated because of how it was released. another side: 8 minutes of ballad in plain d + 7 minutes of chimes of freedeom = 15 minutes of boredom

Last edited by Russ333 on Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:54 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 22:53 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I don't think that Dylan has any overrated albums... in my opinion all his albums are absolutely brilliant... wonderful, lyrical masterpieces that have no equal.

Each of his albums are superb, ground-breaking works of art... art with a capital 'A'... per se... Art.

If every Dylan album was a novel then every novel he released would be considered a literary classic... Dylan is the only artist who has managed to fuse rock with literature... his albums are all classic literary masterpieces.

No other artist has released an album that is better than any Dylan album... Fact!

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:02 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
No other artist has released an album that is better than any Dylan album... Fact!

if you're saying self portrait is better than exile on main street then maybe we should go back to discussing cheese.

but i respect your opinion and your devotion to Bob.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^^^^ Yep!.... wait, wait.... I mean to the thickboy post!!!!

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

No mouse has ever preferred edam to gruyere - not even dutch mice. with clogs. facterooni.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

What does everyone think of Cheesestrings?

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

Depends what pickups you use - they tend to stick to humbuckers but with one of those bridge pickups they sound great, especially for james last kind of music, you know - cheesy stuff! I use a different type of cheese for each string.

oh god - sorry, you mean the album! over-rated I would say, 'grilled onions' was far superior.

Last edited by slimtimslide on Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:14 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 23:13 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Russ333 wrote:
thickboy wrote:

if you're saying self portrait is better than exile on main street then maybe we should go back to discussing cheese.

but i respect your opinion and your devotion to Bob.

How dare you try to belittle me... I am entitled to an opinion... hell, you have only made 35 posts, and for your information Exile on Main Street was not a Dylan album... if you love the Beatles albums so much go on a Beatles site.

As a newbie, you have shown utter disrespect towards me with your savage, humiliating attack... I am the Senior Contributor here and as such you should afford me total and complete respect... I demand that you apologise immediately... and make sure it's a full, frank and sincere apology... not some half-arsed effort.

I bet you are a student... you should go and get a job instead of sponging off decent, tax-paying, hard-working, good, christian Senior Contributers... APOLOGISE IMMEDIATELY!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next