Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 20th, 2018, 14:40 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dylan's fanbase
PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 00:22 GMT 

It is true that right now, Dylan has a predominantly older crowd. I'm seventeen though, and I think I'm just as big a Dylan fan as anybody on the site (maybe I haven't been to as many shows, but my age kind of prevents that). What I wonder is whether Dylan's fanbase will get smaller and smaller or if enough people from my generation "discover" him and keep it going strong. I personally think that considering what they call music these days, it will be hard for my generation to pick up where Dylan's leaves off. What does everybody else think?

Post subject: Re: Dylan's fanbase
PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 00:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

All in all, he's usually able to harvest enough of the young 'uns to keep things rolling. That's not a knock, I was one too, over 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 00:27 GMT 

procatcher31 wrote:
I'm seventeen though, and I think I'm just as big a Dylan fan as anybody on the site

From the mouths of babes... :lol:

Anyway, as long as young people smoke weed and listen to music, Bob will have a regenerating audience.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 00:33 GMT 

from the concerts I have been too, Dylan does remarkably well to pull in a LOT of young people for a 60 something performer.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 01:56 GMT 

I'm 20 and definitely not as big of a Dylan fan as a lot of people on this site...But I'm going to count that as a positive. But I do think that there are a pretty large amount of younger Dylan fans out there...at least as many as there were in the 60's-70's, if not more.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 03:31 GMT 

I just turned 20. I have been listening to Dylan for about 4 years now. Most of my friends don't listen to Bob but they still appreciate what he has done, which is cool. I did however managed to convert my girlfriend into a fan and she has since attended her first dylan concert.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 04:22 GMT 

ive seen a lot of ages at the dylan concerts ive been to.. probably more noticable now that im in that other generation bracket myself..talked to one man who had brought his young son (6 or 8 yrs old) who was about to enjoy his 6th show. Lucky Kid! wish my parents were cool enough to let me run off with the rolling thunder revue when i was 14... but they werent..and i didnt. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 04:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

procatcher31 wrote:
It is true that right now, Dylan has a predominantly older crowd.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with that. The geriatrics probably do make up a majority, but I wouldn't bet on it being vast. You see more than a fair share of whippersnappers at Dylan gigs. I think he's established that his fanbase extends beyond the sixties set. I could even see a new fan being an exclusive follower of TOOM onwards, aware but with no particular affection for the stuff before it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romeo, he said to Juliet, “You got a poor complexion
It doesn’t give your appearance a very youthful touch!”
Juliet said back to Romeo, “Why don’t you just shove off
If it bothers you so much?"

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 05:11 GMT 

I'm in my 20s and very few friends my age are interested in Dylan, but I am acquainted with several older people who are. At the four shows I've been to, I've seen people my age but even at the last one at UC Berkeley it seemed like older folks far outnumbered younger ones.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 05:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, it's all anecdotal, one way or the other. I'm surprised someone hasn't looked into this, done a pole for a magazine or something. The best they can do is, "it appears that indeed Mr. Dylan's fan base does extend beyond the decrepit."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 05:30 GMT 

I find it odd that most of the people that have posted in my age group say that their friends aren't Dylan fans. All of my 15 or so friends are big Dylan fans too, and I get frequent comments from other students about him when I wear my Dylan shirt. Maybe Los Angeles and Albuquerque have larger populations of Dylan fans than other places... :?

...Or maybe my friends are just more awesome than yours :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 05:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey, not everyone's friends can have taste you know. :wink: It is still perfectly acceptable for us to associate with the non-Dylanite rabble. We can forgive them, for they know not what they do...

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 15:28 GMT 

I started this in part because the vast majority of my friends think his voice sucks. I've never met someone my age who's as big a Dylan fan as I am. I was talking to one of my friends about "Like A Rolling Stone," and I basically said something like, "What could possibly make this song better?" and my friend said, "If he had a better voice." Personally, I think that nobody else can sing like Dylan, especially on that song. But it's that kind of attitude towards music that I think people my age are developing: that if you don't have a perfectly conventional voice, that you're not good.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 15:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

procatcher31 wrote:
I started this in part because the vast majority of my friends think his voice sucks. I've never met someone my age who's as big a Dylan fan as I am. I was talking to one of my friends about "Like A Rolling Stone," and I basically said something like, "What could possibly make this song better?" and my friend said, "If he had a better voice." Personally, I think that nobody else can sing like Dylan, especially on that song. But it's that kind of attitude towards music that I think people my age are developing: that if you don't have a perfectly conventional voice, that you're not good.

I heard the original 'It Aint Me Babe' playing in my local sandwich shop when I bought breakfast this morning. It sounded completely alien compared to the normal stuff that gets played, and to be honest, not that good. There's just some music you can't play to other people.

PostPosted: Wed June 16th, 2010, 19:11 GMT 

procatcher31 wrote:

I know the feeling. I'm in my 20s and most of my friends don't like him. My friends also like to tell me he sucks. I' m glad I got my boyfriend into Dylan and we are both looking forward to seeing him this summer.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 00:21 GMT 

I'm the kind of fellow described in the post above who got into Dylan about five years ago at 18 (I guess) and enjoy his Time Out of Mind - present output more than anything else, by a wide stretch. I think of the keyboard playing country/blues singer more as "my Bob Dylan" then that 60s fellow or the Rolling Thunder Revue singer, so to speak of course. Though I have to say, in reference to the other post above, at no point during my Dylan-enjoying years have I been a smoker.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 00:47 GMT 
Senior Moderator

A writer who's researching a book he's writing about Bob's fanbase asked me to comment on how I discovered Bob, what kept me a fan, blah, blah, blah. I told him I'd be just as interested (if not moreso) reading how younger folks found Bob. I referred him to a good friend of mine (and Dylan fan) who's young enough to be my son. He's gonna interveiw a wide variety of Dylan fans. It sounds like it will be a fun read.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 01:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

procatcher31 wrote:

Wonder why that could be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1xG688WrF8

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 01:07 GMT 

Warren Peace wrote:

That shit is hot.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 01:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

I'm not completely joking, though, I really think that show has narrowed the tastes of much of the younger generations.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 01:27 GMT 

I'm 19 and have been listening to Dylan my whole life (thank you, Dad!). I'd say I really got into him when I was about 14. Calling me a fan is an understatement. I mean, the man's music has shaped my life. If not for him, I wouldn't play the guitar or write my own songs. His songs have helped me get through almost every aspect of my life, whether it be relationships, deaths, stress, even pumping me up before swim meets.

I'll admit that I have even teared up after hearing many of his songs for the first time.

Most of my friends don't like his voice or ridicule me for listening to "old man music" and not listening to current stuff (I claim that TTL, MT, and even L&T count as current, but they disagree).

I know a few Dylan fans my age, and a few kids have actually become fans after I intoduced them to Dylan, and that's somewhat promising. At least there are young people out there that can appreciate him.

But I do know that I will be a Bob Dylan fan until the day I die.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 01:35 GMT 

My niece, Tracy Heitman, saw Biography in it's box set and liked the cover when she was about eight years old. I opened it to show her the collected songs on cassette tapes, and she said, "OOOO, antiques...", and reached for one so reverently I decided immediately to give her the entire set. She thanked me, and I grinned, imagining this gift leading her to Dylan when she was older.

Sure enough, my brother and his wife were on me in an instant, boxed set in hand, united in their stance against Bob Dylan, the Sixties, and my version of reality. "No way," said his wife, Laurie Hucker, Secretary of Lake Villa last time I was there, and daughter of western Lake County's first millionaire, Chuck Hucker. "I don't want my daughter listening to this drug-music," she said, "and I don't care what you say about it, she's not keeping it." My brother just shrugged silent agreement.

Little did they know, but she accidentally caught me boarding my semi, parked in my parents' driveway, and said she sure was sad they took away the antiques I gave her, lol. I reached into my bag of tricks and handed Biography back to her, much to her delight. She clutched it tightly to her chest and said, "Oh, thank you Uncle Bob. I won't tell them you gave it back to me." That was in 1998, and it was the last time I saw any of them.

I heard from her this year... She is twenty, in college, and loves Bob Dylan's music... I found that out by asking if she remembers the "antiques" I gave her in '98. She wrote back to say, "I was so young then, it's all kinda fuzzy, but I often wished you had been allowed to give me that gift. I think it would have changed my life." She was shocked when I reminded her I had given it to her. She said, "Then my parents must've taken it away again because I have no memories of ever hearing it." Saddened, I asked if she'd ever checked out Bob Dylan's music and she made loss of that album worth every moment of pain I experienced, when she said, surprised, "I love Bob Dylan's music, and his message to the world."

I never replaced that album, by the way. Loss of it was my way of holding little Tracy in my heart all these years, and my way of exercising JuJu, of course... Soon as I heard from her I told Library Lady she could order a new one for me, finally...smart-a-s librarian asked, "Didja want that on cassette?" :lol:

Dylan's music spans the ages...He drew on the wisdom of the ages, as we all do before we learn to fly the friendly skies of Inner Space...Dylan's wisdoms were taken from no one and everyone, equally, mixed in a monkey suit, and recorded for all the Tracys of all the generations coming behind the Woodstock Generation of Baby Boomers. And now we know, young old, age don't carry weight, it don't matter in the end... Great thread! Thanks to all the posters here. :D

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 02:15 GMT 

Jordan wrote:
I'm 19 and have been listening to Dylan my whole life (thank you, Dad!). I'd say I really got into him when I was about 14. Calling me a fan is an understatement. I mean, the man's music has shaped my life. If not for him, I wouldn't play the guitar or write my own songs. His songs have helped me get through almost every aspect of my life, whether it be relationships, deaths, stress, even pumping me up before swim meets.

I'll admit that I have even teared up after hearing many of his songs for the first time.

Most of my friends don't like his voice or ridicule me for listening to "old man music" and not listening to current stuff (I claim that TTL, MT, and even L&T count as current, but they disagree).

I know a few Dylan fans my age, and a few kids have actually become fans after I intoduced them to Dylan, and that's somewhat promising. At least there are young people out there that can appreciate him.

But I do know that I will be a Bob Dylan fan until the day I die.

Right there with you. I was listening to Blood On The Tracks before one of my midterms and got ridiculed for listening to such old music to get me in the mindset to take a test. The same friend who thought "Like A Rolling Stone" could be improved with a better singer thought all of Love & Theft sounded the same...

Bob's music is the reason I write songs (http://www.youtube.com/user/whoryou6207, if anyone's interested), and it provides me with more inspiration than anything else in my life. What else can you say after a shitty day than "Let me forget about today until tomorrow"?

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 15:51 GMT 

In a place a few days ago, a nearby table with, it looked like, parents maybe early forties with 2 kids (girls) looked like early teens- talking about the songs all of them knew that Bob Dylan wrote.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 16:09 GMT 

Captain Cadillac wrote:
I just turned 20. I have been listening to Dylan for about 4 years now. Most of my friends don't listen to Bob but they still appreciate what he has done, which is cool. I did however managed to convert my girlfriend into a fan and she has since attended her first dylan concert.

I'm envious. I'm 27 now, started listening to Bob maybe 5 or 6 years ago. My friends have no interest in his music, and I still haven't been able to get my wife into it. She's gone to a few shows with me, but it's one of those "I did that for you, now you need to do something for me" situations. Oh, the hard life of Bob Dylan fans....