Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 17:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 12:35 GMT 

The idea of the thread is from bloodblondehighwayhome. Thank him about that :D

How do you rank all the Dylan albums, including the outtakes and alternate versions from the albums.

Here's my ranking (Only Ones that I've been familiar with):
1. Blonde on Blonde -She's Your Lover Now and I'll Keep It With Mine would be good for the album, but it's originally perfection, so...
2. Bringing It All Back Home -I'll Keep It with Mine should've really been on the album, but other outtakes not so much.
3. Desire -I don't think the inclusion of its outtakes would've improved the album.
4. Highway 61 Revisited -Positively 4th Street would've improved the album for sure, but it's an absolute classic even in its present form...
5. Another Side of Bob Dylan -I think it's the finest of the three 'original' folk albums of Dylan's, and Mama You Been on My Mind would've been a welcome inclusion. Exclusion of acoustic version of Mr. Tambourine Man was wise move, though.
6. Blood on the Tracks -I think the original is the best, though the 'New York' versions have their own merits.
7. Oh Mercy -It really coulda been as good as BOTT with the inclusion of Series of Dreams and Dignity.
8. Street Legal
9. New Morning
10. Slow Train Coming
11. Shot of Love -You Changed My Life and Need a Woman would've surely improved the album so that it's almost as good as Slow Train Coming in the quality of the songs.
12. Basement Tapes -I have no idea why they left off I Shall Be Released and Mighty Quinn, but other musicians did those songs better.
13. The Times They are a-Changing -I'd put Lay Down Your Weary Tune instead of Spanish Boots.
14. Freewheelin' Bob Dylan -With some additions of the outtakes (Let Me Die in My Footsteps, Rambling, Gambling Willie and Quit Your Low Down Way )and the exclusion of weak talking blues, it could've been much better.
15. Infidels -Blind Willie Mctell is good and Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart is pretty, but I don't care for others.
16. Planet Waves
17. Nashville Skyline
18. Christmas in the Heart
19. John Wesley Harding -I don't know any outtakes from the album.
20. Self Portrait
21. Down in the Groove

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 13:06 GMT 

I tried to sort the albums I'm familiar with into three categories, levels A-C; I'd never make an attempt at actually ranking them all (because I'm afraid it would tear my heart into pieces).

Level A: In my opinion, the four greatest albums of all time. Nothing can touch these. Nothing. And there are still some fabulous outtakes...
Bringing it All Back Home - Love Is Just A Four Letter Word, If You Gotta Go Go Now, I'll Keep It With Mine, Farewell Angelina
Highway 61 Revisited - Positively Fourth Street, Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?
Blonde On Blonde - She's Your Lover Now, Tell Me Momma, plus some very promising sketches like The Painting Of Van Gogh, What Kind Of Friend Is This, Medicine Sunday and Jet Pilot
Blood On The Tracks - Up To Me

Level B: Absolute masterpieces.
Freewheelin' - Let Me Die In My Footsteps, Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
The Times They Are A-Changin' - Only A Hobo, Seven Curses, Eternal Circle, Lay Down Your Weary Tune
Another Side - Mama, You Been On My Mind
The Basement Tapes - well, er, all the great stuff that wasn't on the 1975 release... :mrgreen:
John Wesley Harding - just give us the friggin' outtakes, Columbia, and we shall see!!
Planet Waves - Nobody 'Cept You (live 1974), Going Going Gone (alternate take)
Desire - Abandoned Love, Golden Loom, maybe Rita May just for fun
Street Legal - I don't really know about the three songs with Helena Springs
Infidels - Blind Willie McTell (electric version), Foot Of Pride, Tell Me
Oh Mercy - Series Of Dreams, Dignity
Time Out Of Mind - Dreamin' Of You, Red River Shore, Things Have Changed
Love & Theft - any outtakes known?
Modern Times - 'Cross The Green Mountain, Tell Ol' Bill
Tempest - any outtakes known?

Level C: Very good albums.
Nashville Skyline - any outtakes known?
New Morning - Time Passes Slowly, When I Paint My Masterpiece (from ASP), George Jackson, Wallflower
Slow Train Coming - Ye Shell Be Changed, Ain't No Man Righteous
Saved - I guess somebody who has listened to the deluxe Trouble No More ought to deal weith the gospel trilogy rather than me...
Shot Of Love - Caribbean Wind (rehearsal), Angelina, acoustic Every Grain Of Sand from BS 1-3
Empire Burlesque - Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart, When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky

Fantastic live albums:
Before The Flood - She Belongs To Me, Ballad Of Hollis Brown, Wedding Song, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, As I Went Out One Morning
Hard Rain - You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go, I Want You, I Pity The Poor Immigrant, Tangled Up In Blue

I have not listened to Budokan and Real Live yet, nor to the albums that have the poorest reputation within Bob's incomparable oeuvre. Hope some bigger experts will pitch in!

PS:
Quote:

You're very welcome! :D I'm happy to see someone else wasn't as lazy as myself and actually did the thing now... oh, and I'm no "him", I'm a girl. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 13:36 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
Nashville Skyline - any outtakes known?
I think Living the Blues from Self Portrait is one of the outtakes. And there are also some on Another Self Portrait.
Plus, there's a tape with Johnny Cash where they played One Too Many Mornings and other songs.

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:

PS:
Quote:

You're very welcome! :D I'm happy to see someone else wasn't as lazy as myself and actually did the thing now... oh, and I'm no "him", I'm a girl. :wink: 8)
Thanks! And...oh, sorry. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know!

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 

if you want some of the outtakes, you should check a Thousand Highways. They made a good compilation of the 1969-1971 era (available here: http://thousandhighways.blogspot.co.uk/ ... date=false).

Also, I made a video a while ago that gathers a bunch of that material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKowdG3Ig_g

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 19:03 GMT 

Thank you! :) I actually know that video (your channel is so wonderful), and I love the "Yesterday" bootleg. What I meant were some new, unreleased songs that could have elevated Nashville Skyline further, and I think there aren't any, are there? :?: Does "Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance" count? It's definitely fun. Well, and to my mind, he actually put the best versions of the songs on the album back then, so I thought I wouldn't include any alternate versions.

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 19:06 GMT 

Quote:
Thanks! And...oh, sorry. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know!

Nevermind, how were you to know? :-) You've got to watch her closely cause - she ain't no man, she's a woman!

PostPosted: Sat November 18th, 2017, 14:44 GMT 

Funny, the idea of ranking Dylan's albums never seriously occurred to me before, even after three decades of closely following his work. But, after the suggestion I couldn't get the idea of doing it out of my brain...thanks a lot! :)

I simply have to ignore a basic premise here: including outtakes. I love outtakes and alternate versions, but I can only evaluate like objects, and too much of an album has to do with sequencing and editing (that which is left off an album contributes to an album, as do the selection of songs that both precede and follow each other). If I was going to consider outtakes, I would tend to favor evaluating periods of productivity (e.g. 1961-1963 vs. 1964-1966 vs. 1967 vs. 1969-1970 vs. 1973-1976 vs. 1978-1981 vs. 1983 vs. 1984-1987 vs. 1988-1990 vs. 1996-1997 and so forth).

I didn't include Dylan (1973) or The Basement Tapes because I consider them both proto-Bootleg Series installments that were never meant to be studio albums and, therefore, play on a different field. They are anthologies of songs that were recorded years before they were released. Dylan would be easier to compare to Another Self Portrait or The Cutting Edge and The Basement Tapes would be worth comparing to The Witmark Demos. Of course, if forced to include these, The Basement Tapes would be alongside one of the albums in my top five.

I also ignored live albums because they simply feel quite different than studio albums. If I was including live albums, Live at the Gaslight 1962 and Live 1966 would be up there with those at #1, Live at Carnegie Hall 1963 would probably sit at #6 alongside John Wesley Harding, Hard Rain and Live 1975 would be in the top ten, and Dylan and the Dead would be at the bottom of any list of Dylan's recorded output.

1] Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks
2] "Love & Theft"
3] Bringing It All Back Home
4] Blonde on Blonde
5] Time Out of Mind
6] John Wesley Harding
7] Modern Times
8] Slow Train Coming and Oh Mercy
9] The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Desire
10] The Times They Are a-Changin'
11] Saved
12] Planet Waves and Street-Legal
13] Nashville Skyline
14] New Morning and Shadows in the Night
15] Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong
16] Shot of Love
17] Triplicate
18] Self Portrait
19] Infidels
20] Tempest
21] Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
22] Another Side of Bob Dylan
23] Fallen Angels
24] Bob Dylan
25] Together Through Life
26] Down in the Grove
27] Under the Red Sky
28] Empire Burlesque
29] Knocked Out Loaded
30] Christmas in the Heart

PostPosted: Sat November 18th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

I like your logic, but would also exclude Pat Garrrett, which is a fine soundtrack but rather lacking as a n "album".

1] Blonde on Blonde
2] Blood on the Tracks
3] "Love & Theft"
4] Highway 61 Revisited
5 Bringing It All Back Home
6] Time Out of Mind
7] John Wesley Harding
8] The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
9] Modern Times
10] World Gone Wrong
11] Triplicate
12] Oh Mercy