Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 08:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 08:32 GMT 

https://youtu.be/-_zSACFYoQk

Nice to see 8-] Usually he mangles his words and confounds expectactions beyond belief and recognition.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 12:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Deja vu all over again.
Someone started the same thread a few days earlier,
and at least used a descriptive subject title for the ER reader, so people don’t get sucked back into the same ole singalong with Bob Dylan you tube that’s been going around.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92474

Not meant to come off as snarkish.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 13:10 GMT 

One gig I was at in 1984 he actually directed a singalong to Blowing
in the Wind with 'now the men, now the women'. Very surreal & funny.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 13:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

A testament to the greatness of '80s Dylan. It has to make you wonder what people are thinking when they dismiss his '80s work.

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 17:01 GMT 

Why have I never seen this before??? This is some of the most jaw-dropping Dylan footage I've ever seen (first clip).

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 21:45 GMT 

Thought that too. Never seen that 84 footage before. There's some great stuff from then, some with Santana where Dylan is on fire and very animated.

Someone should start a dylanvideo.onion where WebSheriff is powerless. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:03 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Why have I never seen this before??? This is some of the most jaw-dropping Dylan footage I've ever seen (first clip).

Hey, I'm the person who put this video together. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The first clip comes from a concert Dylan staged in Barcelona, alongside Carlos Santana, on June 28, 1984, parts of which were professionally recorded for broadcast on Spanish television. "Blowin' in the Wind" was the night's encore performance; you can see it in full, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmFTIfl1tY

Clinton Heylin has called it "one of the most exciting performances of Dylan ever filmed," which is a sentiment I would heartily second. Here's Paul Williams describing the scene, in "Bob Dylan: Performing Artist: The Middle Years, 1974-1986":

"The footage of the last encore, 'Blowin’ In The Wind' is priceless. Dylan had been encouraging the fans to sing along on the choruses to this song for about two weeks, but on this evening the crowd – who had been wonderful all through the performance – caught Dylan by surprise. They started singing – loudly and in fine harmony – at the first chorus, and Dylan is visibly and audibly startled, and then deeply moved."

There's also footage of Dylan doing "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" from earlier in the evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXYLqEpJ74

And, if you're interested, the entire concert is available in audio form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751XoZ25fj8

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:45 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
A testament to the greatness of '80s Dylan. It has to make you wonder what people are thinking when they dismiss his '80s work.

As long as he wasn't singing new material, he was bringing in tens of thousands to venues. By 85, he was hittin' the bottle [farm aid], got drunk married in 86 [his new bride said whenever hed come home he was drunk and would stay drunk], the petty and dead tour were a mess [the booze money tour], and by 88 he realized he had to tour forever to stay out of bankruptcy since Carolyn would soon get 20mil, half his worth. Poor guy didn't learn from Sara when she took 40mil back in the late 70s plus half his royalties for life. :?

PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 05:18 GMT 

hjh wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Hey, I'm the person who put this video together. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The first clip comes from a concert Dylan staged in Barcelona, alongside Carlos Santana, on June 28, 1984, parts of which were professionally recorded for broadcast on Spanish television. "Blowin' in the Wind" was the night's encore performance; you can see it in full, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmFTIfl1tY

Clinton Heylin has called it "one of the most exciting performances of Dylan ever filmed," which is a sentiment I would heartily second. Here's Paul Williams describing the scene, in "Bob Dylan: Performing Artist: The Middle Years, 1974-1986":

"The footage of the last encore, 'Blowin’ In The Wind' is priceless. Dylan had been encouraging the fans to sing along on the choruses to this song for about two weeks, but on this evening the crowd – who had been wonderful all through the performance – caught Dylan by surprise. They started singing – loudly and in fine harmony – at the first chorus, and Dylan is visibly and audibly startled, and then deeply moved."

There's also footage of Dylan doing "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" from earlier in the evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXYLqEpJ74

And, if you're interested, the entire concert is available in audio form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751XoZ25fj8

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 05:54 GMT 

Where does Heylin mention it? Behind the Shades?

PostPosted: Thu December 14th, 2017, 16:56 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Where does Heylin mention it? Behind the Shades?

Not Behind the Shades. I believe it's in "Dylan Day By Day: A Life in Stolen Moments."