Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 2nd, 2014, 02:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 15:19 GMT 

Hi everyone,

This Saturday at 2pm Jacob Maymudes is going to be talking about Another Side of Bob Dylan with music and film critic Glenn Kenny at BookCourt in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. The details are below. This is the only reading/signing he is doing in New York City.

http://bookcourt.com/events/jacob-maymudes

BookCourt
163 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 19:40 GMT 

I got an email from Rolling Stone with their tidbits from from the book -

6 Things We Learned From the New Bob Dylan Tell-All

Longtime road manager Victor Maymudes spills about the night he introduced the Beatles to pot, his relationship with Joan Baez and much more

By Andy Greene | September 9, 2014
Not many people get close to Bob Dylan, but Victor Maymudes – who was Dylan's road manager in the mid-Sixties and again from 1986 to 1996 – certainly did. Maymudes died in 2001, but he left behind hours of interview tapes, which his son Jacob has turned into a revealing new memoir, Another Side of Bob Dylan. The book, which hits shelves this week, traces their entire time together, from the coffee house days in Greenwich Village to their legendary cross country road trip in 1964 to the madness of the Never Ending Tour in the 1980s and 1990s. Here are six things we learned from the book.

The night Dylan met the Beatles was kind of awkward.
Maymudes provides one of the most complete accounts of the famous summit, at the Beatles' New York hotel on August 28th, 1964. "Bob tried to roll a joint and it fell to piece in his hands," Maymudes says, "scattering pot over a bowl of fruit sitting on the table." Victor took over and rolled the joints himself. That helped liven up the party, but Dylan, who'd been drinking, passed out on the floor within an hour. "The following morning, Paul came up to me and hugged me for 10 minutes," says Maymudes, 'and said, 'It was so great, and it's all your fault because I love this pot!'"

Dylan quit drinking in 1994.
"He just stopped on a dime," Maymudes says. "He didn't talk as much once he stopped and he didn't laugh as loud either. It was a really big deal for him and really showed his commitment to changing his behavior. He was capable of dealing with a broader range of personalities when he was drinking and after stopping, his tolerance for certain types of behavior diminished. Bob lost a bit of self-esteem when he sobered up, became little more introverted and a little less social."

George Harrison was pissed off about Dylan's 30th-anniversary concert in 1992.
The all-star show at Madison Square Garden was widely believed to be for charity. It was actually for profit. "Harrison was so angry, he made T-shirts with dollar signs on them and sent them to me and Bob," Maymudes says. "George also got in trouble with Olivia, his wife. She tracked the last number he dialed on the hotel phone to a limousine company that I had arranged for him to use to send a limo for a girl he was involved with. When Olivia blew up over that, I found myself in the middle of the confrontation."

Victor was there when the legend cut Another Side of Bob Dylan in one amazing night.
"He had never sang the songs in front of anybody before [that night]," Maymudes says. "He just blurted it out, like electricity building up in a capacitor, and then shooting out, he had packed it all inside himself and let it explode. I was in a daze."

Joan Baez was no pushover.
Maymudes was shocked when Dylan married Sara Lownds. "I asked him, 'Why Sara?!'" Maymudes wrote. "'Why not Joan Baez?' He responded with, 'Because Sara will be there when I want her to be home, she'll be there when I want her to be there, she'll do it when I want to do it. Joan won't be there when I want her. She won't do it when I want to do it.'"

During downtime on his 1989 tour, Dylan went out to see Tim Burton's Batman.
There aren't many more details available, but it raises many questions. Was Dylan upset by the film's exclusion of Robin? Did he dig the Prince songs? Was he bummed out when Val Kilmer took over as Batman in 1995? Has he seen the more recent Dark Knight trilogy? How about The Avengers?

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 20:09 GMT 

Thanks for the report.

The 1994 sobering explains a hell of a lot.

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 20:22 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
Thanks for the report.

The 1994 sobering explains a hell of a lot.

I always figured it was a year or so early, Supper Club was pretty great.

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 21:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

the sons of roadies (and joint rollers) tour...coming soon....to a town near you.

PostPosted: Wed September 10th, 2014, 21:26 GMT 

ragman99 wrote:
the sons of roadies (and joint rollers) tour...coming soon....to a town near you.

I wanna hear from that baker's son who Bob sold his guitar to.

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 10:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Christ on a tricycle! So much of a hatchet job that even the Daily Frickin' Mail are getting involved:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-pal.html

Just look at part of that web address

Bob-Dylan-refused-marry-Joan-Baez-couldn-t-control-shunned-lesbian-daughter-Desiree-tried-roll-joint-Beatles-passed-drunk-reveals-blockbuster-book-best-pal

Tells you all you need to know

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 11:18 GMT 

Didn't Bob say "people who rat on somebody should be shot"? Can't remember which interview. "Rolling Stone" 2001? Can somebody come up with the exact quote?

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 16:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

stephenoxford wrote:
Christ on a tricycle! So much of a hatchet job that even the Daily Frickin' Mail are getting involved:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-pal.html

Just look at part of that web address

Bob-Dylan-refused-marry-Joan-Baez-couldn-t-control-shunned-lesbian-daughter-Desiree-tried-roll-joint-Beatles-passed-drunk-reveals-blockbuster-book-best-pal

Tells you all you need to know

What a load of garbage. Right off the bat, I can spot quite a few discrepancies and completely speculative things in that tawdry article. Anything for a buck. This gal won't be buying it.

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 17:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
The headline is misleading, too. I sure hope the actual book won't be as webermanish.

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 18:31 GMT 

The Daily Mail article is thrown together, not proof-read, illiterate and ignorant. Dreadful muckraking misleading tawdry rubbish.

Bits of the book quoted out of context? Compare with the Rolling Stone quotes.

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 18:36 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
^
The headline is misleading, too. I sure hope the actual book won't be as webermanish.

I'm only a few chapters deep and there are one or two Webermamish moments, though certainly not to the extreme of Weberman himself.

PostPosted: Thu September 11th, 2014, 18:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

SydKat wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
^

I'm only a few chapters deep and there are one or two Webermamish moments, though certainly not to the extreme of Weberman himself.

Ah well.... it's a fine line.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 00:26 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Didn't Bob say "people who rat on somebody should be shot"? Can't remember which interview. "Rolling Stone" 2001? Can somebody come up with the exact quote?

I'm not in favor of a hatchet job cash-in book (they suck, obviously), but if you're writing a memoir, it's pretty hard to write it without writing about the people in your lives, and given that Maymudes spent much of his life around Bob Dylan, it stands to reason Bob Dylan would be a central part of his memoir. I guess the amount of hypocrisy in the statement from noted memoirist Bob Dylan would depend on his definition of the word "rat." Assuming that's the wording he used.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 01:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^^^
The catch is this: would Maymudes life have been interesting enough to write about if not for his association with Dylan? Of course not. Would Bob Dylan's life be worth reading about without him telling crap on friends? Of course it would. And that difference is what makes one a 'rat' and the other not.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 02:16 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
I'm not in favor of a hatchet job cash-in book (they suck, obviously), but if you're writing a memoir, it's pretty hard to write it without writing about the people in your lives, and given that Maymudes spent much of his life around Bob Dylan, it stands to reason Bob Dylan would be a central part of his memoir. I guess the amount of hypocrisy in the statement from noted memoirist Bob Dylan would depend on his definition of the word "rat." Assuming that's the wording he used.

Maymudes wrote it so he could write about Dylan (i.e. Cash in), not himself. Also, 'hypocrisy'? Have you read Chronicles? It's pretty much a model of self-restraint when It come to petty score-settling.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 02:51 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
^^^^
The catch is this: would Maymudes life have been interesting enough to write about if not for his association with Dylan? Of course not.

Of course it would be. There have been all-world memoirs written about teaching in New York or growing up in Oregon with a step-father or hiking a trail in the Pacific Northwest, subjects that have nothing to do with anybody famous. The vast majority of quality memoirs in existence do not have anything whatsoever to do with anybody you've heard of. A wise writer once said that anybody who lived through childhood has enough material to write a memoir. The notion that a person's life isn't worth writing about unless they have some famous connection is silliness.

This reminds me of when this forum started hissing at Suze Rotolo for writing a memoir about her life in the early 60's. Are people near Bob Dylan just not allowed to write?

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 03:03 GMT 

kybo8845 wrote:
Md23Rewls wrote:

Maymudes wrote it so he could write about Dylan (i.e. Cash in), not himself. Also, 'hypocrisy'? Have you read Chronicles? It's pretty much a model of self-restraint when It come to petty score-settling.

From Maymudes AMA on Reddit: "The narrative of my book is split into three main parts, my relationship with my father, my father's relationship with Bob Dylan and Bob Dylan himself. It's not solely a biography on Dylan and I wouldn't dare call myself a Dylan biographer."

I haven't read Maymudes book, but it does not sound like a cash-in, and I have not heard from anyone that Maymudes is "settling scores." Where is our evidence that this is the case? I personally think it's great that people who actually know Dylan are willing to share their stories about our favorite grumpy old man. These people are all going to die in the next decade, might as well get their stories out while they can still move their creaking bones.

Do we have any evidence that Dylan is angry that the book is coming out?

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 08:51 GMT 

I'll buy it and read it, mostly because I was so pleasantly surprised by Suze Rotolos book.

The life of Suze and Maymudes would certainly have been interresting enough to read about on their own, at least for me, who was young around the same time; but nobody would know them and print them I suppose. If the young Maymudes does for his father what Suze did for herself, and did indeed write a biography and not just a tell all thingy it will be worth reading, I suppose. If he does settle scores, I will be able to read over it quickly, I read a lot of unkind comments in Dylan biographies already and did get the overall picture, which is: Bob is not just a deeply feeling, romantic, brilliant nice guy. But hey, who cares? In most cases one gets a clear picture of the shortcomings of the people writing, which is also sort of interresting.

I am sure that Dylan himself and everybody famous else written about in the book will have the means to look after their reputation if they care about it, so I do not have to be worried about them. As for cashing in - Maymudes will not have left a huge estate, times are hard and one takes whatever one finds wherever one finds it. Sure Bob Dylan would agree on that.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 09:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Victor Maymudes, who befriended and worked for Bob, cannot cash in on their relationship anymore, since he's been dead for 13 years. It remains to be seen how his son, Jacob, handles this, how much he has added to his father's taped memoirs, etc. As a Dylan book collector, I will buy and read it (I pre-ordered the signed edition via Etsy), and I hope it contains truth. Truth is not always pretty, and Dylan is no saint, but I understand concerns about publishing details of his private life. As I said, it is a fine line.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 15:49 GMT 

http://www.reddit.com/r/bobdylan/commen ... ok_called/

That's the Reddit AMA if anyone is interested. He posted some color pictures from the motel with the pool that everyone went to during the Newport Folk Festival.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 20:23 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

Well, the book purports to deliver information about Dylan's marriage, other relationships, his children, his supposed drinking habits and information about the private life of a good friend of Bob (George Harrison). I call that ratting. I am not interested in that kind information since it does not enhance my understanding of Bob's art.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 21:40 GMT 

In his later years Victor's brain was so fried from drug use that it was difficult to carry on a coherent conversation with him. He'd just ramble off.
Worst of all he was a sexual predator. Got kicked off the tour multiple times for going after young girls and bedding a bigwig promoter's wife. Raped a 16 year old.
Victor took a girl backstage once who grabbed Bob around the legs as he descended he stairs, almost sending him down headfirst. At which point Victor grabbed her and threw her physically into the street.
One of these reviews called him "tour manager," which is down right funny. After the mid 60s he was a gofer at best and sometimes got yelled at for the poor job he made of that.
Bob carried him financially for most of his adult life and he repaid the generosity by suing.
The book, which he was unable to actually write, was just his last attempt of making money off Bob.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 21:46 GMT 

While I'm venting....
The time I saw Bob and his lesbian daughter walking toward a hotel pool with their arms around each other didn't look like shunning to me. Also she was at the Terminal 5 shows in the VIP section.

Finally, someone ought to tell Bob he quit drinking in 94. It'd be a surprise to him.

PostPosted: Fri September 12th, 2014, 22:11 GMT 

It'll probably be an interesting read. Some of it might be true some of it might not be, who cares? I do believe the Beatles 'joint rolling fail' story though, it's really hard to roll joints with inch-long fingernails!