Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 28th, 2017, 18:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 17:50 GMT 

Read and discuss here and there.

http://www.muddywatermagazine.com/1981- ... Brown.html

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 18:10 GMT 

At least there has not been a better Year since.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 18:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tapion wrote:
At least there has not been a better Year since.

1987 and 1988

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 18:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

He makes a strong case that it was.
However, it depends on how high a bar do you want to put on "great".

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 18:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 18:46 GMT 

Nah, 1995 and 1999-2002 are just about up there.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:18 GMT 

How do you manage to remember all those details, PSB? The thing I remember most about seeing him in 1981, was having a defining argument with my current girlfriend, before the gig, then bumping into and chatting with Bob Shelton, who I vaguely knew, on the way in, then seeing Dylan with his hoody, down below, while the support band (who I totally forget) were playing. As for the concert...nothing extra-terrestrial. '87 was great.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:25 GMT 

1981 shows always leave me a little bit cold in the same way that 1978 shows do. Technically Dylan and the band are playing well, but there's something slightly formulaic about the whole thing which I don't find with the strictly gospel shows from the preceding years. I would personally put 1979 and 1980 as the last great Dylan years. That being said, we can thank the 1974-1981 years for beginning the process of destroying Bob's vocals.

I agree also that 1995, 1999, and 2000 all are close to being great years, but they are clearly very different from the "classic Dylan" who is still audible in the 1979-1980 shows. Latter Dylan is wonderful in its own way, but no matter how good he has been on the NET, he is clearly past his prime. Maybe it would be more appropriate to label 1981 as the last year that a concert goer could see Dylan in something resembling his prime form (even though 1981 is still a long long long way off of 1964-68 in terms of greatness)

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:33 GMT 

I'd even contend that 2005 was a great year in many rights, particularly the end of it. If not '05, the '03, or '02, or just about any year of the NET spanning back to '94, and before that '88 and '87...no, '81 was far from his last great year.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

The answer is no.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:49 GMT 

It all comes down to a matter of taste, really.
Of course, Dylan isn´t capable of singing full throat like in those years, but what he gained later on is a maturity and a certain grace which comes with age, I think.
That wasn´t there in 81, it couldn´t be.
Some people here can´t connect with an aging and diminishing voice, others are able to see the beauty of it. It´s just as simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 19:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well said, BC.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 21:09 GMT 

these topics are getting stupid and annoying. isn't there a poll out around here saying this kind of thing should shut up?

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 21:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

procatcher31 wrote:
I'd even contend that 2005 was a great year in many rights, particularly the end of it. If not '05, the '03, or '02, or just about any year of the NET spanning back to '94, and before that '88 and '87...no, '81 was far from his last great year.

None of those years, especially from 2000 on come close to 81, or other great vintages. Although I witnessed the single greatest Dylan concert I've been to... in 1999.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 23:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think '81 was a great year by many standards and it may be the last great year to many but I'm partial to 2003 and Spring of 2004. They're certainly my favorite whether they were his last greatest year or not.

PostPosted: Thu July 7th, 2011, 23:48 GMT 

Yes, 1981 was probably his last really great tour, but there's many really good tours since then. He's added many great live performances to his legacy since 1981 and he's done things he couldn't have done in 1981, but he's never after 1981 been as consistently great as a live performer as we was back then.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 00:20 GMT 

iamhere wrote:
these topics are getting stupid and annoying. isn't there a poll out around here saying this kind of thing should shut up?

2011 is Dylan's last great year to date. That said, I agree with the shutting up sentiment.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 00:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

iamhere wrote:

If you feel that way....why are you posting on it? The person starting the thread obviously found some merit in it. If somebody feels the thread is stupid...instead of insulting the person starting it...wouldn't it just be better to ignore it. How would you like it if you started a thread... and somebody told you it was stupid and annoying? Nothing good comes from that.

Last edited by wineman on Fri July 8th, 2011, 00:35 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 00:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

jacethecrowl wrote:
iamhere wrote:

2011 is Dylan's last great year to date. That said, I agree with the shutting up sentiment.

That's really funny (in a sad way)...you give your opinion, then say the poll is stupid and boring. If it's so stupid and boring, which is really a mean spirited and disrespectful response to the person who started it...why see the need...to contribute your opinion regarding his last great touring year? It being stupid and boring...didn't seem to stop you from offering an opinion. Don't ya think that's a bit ironic?

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 01:06 GMT 

That's really funny (in a sad way)...you give your opinion, then say the poll is stupid and boring. If it's so stupid and boring, which is really a mean spirited and disrespectful response to the person who started it...why see the need...to contribute your opinion regarding his last great touring year? It being stupid and boring...didn't seem to stop you from offering an opinion. Don't ya think that's a bit ironic?[/quote]

I think being dismissive of three decades of music (or 4.5 as some would have it) is considerably more offensive than suggesting that "greatness" can't be quantified. The nostalgic concert review by Brown articulates why the show was so special to him, but nothing about why the subsequent years have been lacking in his estimation. It's an absurd question, and when people just start hollering out their favorite years, the poll has officially gone stupid.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 01:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

jacethecrowl wrote:
That's really funny (in a sad way)...you give your opinion, then say the poll is stupid and boring. If it's so stupid and boring, which is really a mean spirited and disrespectful response to the person who started it...why see the need...to contribute your opinion regarding his last great touring year? It being stupid and boring...didn't seem to stop you from offering an opinion. Don't ya think that's a bit ironic?

I think being dismissive of three decades of music (or 4.5 as some would have it) is considerably more offensive than suggesting that "greatness" can't be quantified. The nostalgic concert review by Brown articulates why the show was so special to him, but nothing about why the subsequent years have been lacking in his estimation. It's an absurd question, and when people just start hollering out their favorite years, the poll has officially gone stupid.[/quote]

If you go by your logic...people could stomp on theads that start every day on this site. I understand your reasoning for thinking it's /silly/stupid. But it's insensitive and insulting to the person starting the thread. I think a lot of threads are stupid. And I don't post on them. (Well sometimes I do.) Ignoring the thread, in my opinion is more rational, than taking the time to call it stupid, and risk hurting the person starting it...who obviously didn't think it was.

Anyway...just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 01:22 GMT 

jacethecrowl wrote:

I think being dismissive of three decades of music (or 4.5 as some would have it) is considerably more offensive than suggesting that "greatness" can't be quantified. The nostalgic concert review by Brown articulates why the show was so special to him, but nothing about why the subsequent years have been lacking in his estimation. It's an absurd question, and when people just start hollering out their favorite years, the poll has officially gone stupid.

Don't be ridiculous. PSB is not dismissive of the last three decades. He writes: "I’ve seen Dylan in concert more than a hundred times since that October night in 1981. I’ve seen some great shows, some good shows, some shows that were merely okay, and a couple of bad shows. All of the shows, even the bad ones had moments. But none featured as many songs, out of 28 performed, Dylan sang 27, and while some have come close, none have matched it for sheer consistent intensity of performance throughout."

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 02:18 GMT 

wineman wrote:
iamhere wrote:

If you feel that way....why are you posting on it? The person starting the thread obviously found some merit in it. If somebody feels the thread is stupid...instead of insulting the person starting it...wouldn't it just be better to ignore it. How would you like it if you started a thread... and somebody told you it was stupid and annoying? Nothing good comes from that.

you have a point. you do and i felt that way about others doing the same...but then i relized this is a discussion. and how can you have a decent conversation on a topic if everyone is saying yes and nodding. I could come on here and say no shows from 2000-2005 have been 100% perfect and there have been shows of perfection sprinkled through sense then and 2011 is fantastic and all. but its all getting old. there is a new topic like this every week. Someone was smart enough to put it all on one thread and people are ignoring it just to make a statemnt.

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 02:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

How can you have a discussion if everone is saying yes, and nodding? Bringing up a counterpoint, would be the most logical way. Calling it stupid...is not an intellectual or thought provoking counterpoint.

As far as these types of threads getring old. I agree. But they were getting old 5 years ago. So...what do we usually do in the "real" world when something strikes us as old and boring? Probably avoid them. Old and boring to me and or you...doesn't make it old and boring for all

PostPosted: Fri July 8th, 2011, 02:40 GMT 

iamhere wrote:
you have a point. you do and i felt that way about others doing the same...but then i relized this is a discussion. and how can you have a decent conversation on a topic if everyone is saying yes and nodding. I could come on here and say no shows from 2000-2005 have been 100% perfect and there have been shows of perfection sprinkled through sense then and 2011 is fantastic and all. but its all getting old. there is a new topic like this every week. Someone was smart enough to put it all on one thread and people are ignoring it just to make a statemnt.

I've read your post twice and I still don't understand what you're trying to say.