She might think that I’ve forgotten her, don’t tell her it isn’t so

We had a falling-out, like people sometimes do
And to think of how she left that night, it hurts me through and through
And though our separation, it pierced me to the bone
She still lives inside of me, I've never been alone

If you get close to her, kiss her once for me
I always have respected her for busting out and gettin' free
Oh, whatever makes her happy, I won't stand in the way
Though the bitter taste still lingers on from the night I tried to make her stay

I see a lot of people as I make the rounds
And I hear her name here and there as I go from town to town
And I’ve never gotten used to it, I’ve just learned to turn it off
Either I'm too sensitive or else I'm gettin' soft

Sundown, yellow moon, I replay the past
I know every scene by heart, they all went by so fast
If she’s passin’ back this way, I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up if I ever cross her mind

We lost this thread due to our server switch & I thought I'd repost it...

I've been listening to Blood On The Tracks a lot lately & one thing I find unappreciated of this album is the fact that each song is still very much a folk song, in that each tells a story within itself and it's still a diverse collection of amazingly composed songs that stand very ably on their own without the rest. I think it's very easy to read all of Bob's personal shit to these songs and this one in particular, but each song is so very different in tone and context from the next. Yes, this one seems very personal to Dyan, but it's still a universal voice that everyone can relate to. Those feelings of pride, of curiosity, & ultimately remorse are just as true for the listener in relation to the song as Mr. Dylan himself...even more true maybe.

And every song is like that. Blood On The Tracks is such an incredible work of art.

Anyway, here's that groovy version from:

New York NY
October 20 1994
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lqhmwj

Anybody else got any cool versions???

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 04:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's actually my favorite version, Marker - one for the ages. I like your thoughts on Blood on the Tracks, too.

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 05:04 GMT 

Incredible rendition Marker! Thanks as always The MEZ

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 06:07 GMT 

The Roseland soundboard is a good pick, but I would raise you Minneapolis '95 - a superlative performance albeit with middling sound quality. The Rundown Rehearsal version isn't bad either.

How about studio takes though? I have three in my collection - the album cut, the slower version from Blood on the Tapes and the BS1-3 take. Which do we prefer?

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 06:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

milliondollarbash wrote:
The Roseland soundboard is a good pick, but I would raise you Minneapolis '95 - a superlative performance albeit with middling sound quality. The Rundown Rehearsal version isn't bad either.

How about studio takes though? I have three in my collection - the album cut, the slower version from Blood on the Tapes and the BS1-3 take. Which do we prefer?

I always enjoyed the album cut, especially for the way it was used in the tv show Californication. However, I always enjoyed the fast Bootleg 1-3 cut. Sometimes though I enjoy listening to the slow version, it sounds much fuller in sound.

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 07:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Seems this thread lost some posts in the server meltdown.

So let me repost this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZILewH38ASc

No discussion of 'If You See Her.." should take place without consideration of this bitter rewrite - a vicious knife twist in the heart of the song.

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 07:42 GMT 

As much as I like the San Juan rewrite, I can't reconcile it with the original. It lacks the regret ("sun down yellow moon / I replay the past...") and wistful longing that make it so affecting. The '76 version is a hell of a performance, but a different song altogether.

Here's the Minneapolis version I mentioned earlier. I'm sure most here will have heard it - but it's fun and spirited and recalls that not-so-distant past when Bob could still sing the songs as if they meant something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07385Cj46A&feature=plcp

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 08:01 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

A lovely song... my only criticism is that the tune should have been a bit more up tempo... a bit faster... that would make the song a proper toe-tapper.

I like songs that make my toes tap.

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 16:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

The re-write is nice. The recording quality is sub par at best, but we've just been spoiled with better recordings.

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2012, 22:33 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Seems this thread lost some posts in the server meltdown.

So let me repost this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZILewH38ASc

No discussion of 'If You See Her.." should take place without consideration of this bitter rewrite - a vicious knife twist in the heart of the song.

I remember first hearing this and being shocked at the ferocity and pain of the performance. The last verse is so so sad.

Original: If she's passin' back this way, I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up if she's got the time
Rewrite: But I know she'll be back some day, of that there is no doubt
And when that moment comes, Lord, give me the strength to keep her out

PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2012, 01:42 GMT 

This is one of my favorite of Bob's songs. It can bring me to tears. It's one of my examples of a perfect song.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 04:15 GMT 

Speaking of 1995, this was a big year for this song...Bob developed further his honky-tonk version that
he had begun the year previous. Generally adding an amazing harp solo, the song truly benefited from
his focused singing without the guitar strapped to his chest....

Here's possibly the finest and most well-known from that incredible Spring Europe tour from
London England
March 30 1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddC0I8aZ ... aa3_TaUQNw

Now that said, the first one of the year which he had debuted a week prior is a slightly more melancholy, more broken version
that stands out for me as well. Bob searches here for the song having not performed it onstage in a few months
and in the process touches chords that are not the obvious choices and it ends up being kind of a quietly perfect version in all its imperfections...

Furth Germany
March 14 1995
http://www.sendspace.com/file/appcuo

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 04:19 GMT 

I always liked the version from Renaldo and Clara.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 07:27 GMT 

"I've never gotten used to it, I've just learned to turn it off"...yes, that's exactly how it feels. And everybody has gone through this one time or another. A great great song.

But I always wondered about that one line
"She might think that I've forgotten here,don't tell her it isn't so" Why shouldn't anybody tell her? Especially when he also sings "kiss her once for me" and at the end "Tell her she can look me up"?
Is it just an expression of mixed emotions? Longing for her vs. fear of being hurt again? Or is the "don't" just grammatically correct in this context?

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 08:57 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
"I've never gotten used to it, I've just learned to turn it off"...yes, that's exactly how it feels. And everybody has gone through this one time or another. A great great song.

"She might think that I've forgotten here,don't tell her it isn't so" Why shouldn't anybody tell her? Especially when he also sings "kiss her once for me" and at the end "Tell her she can look me up"?
Is it just an expression of mixed emotions? Longing for her vs. fear of being hurt again? Or is the "don't" just grammatically correct in this context?

Pride. Not wanting to let her know that he still is hanging on to memories while she might have moved on. There is a lot of power fighting going on in love relationships, and Bob knows all about it, and knows how to express it, too.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 12:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

A song that, in its various Never Ending Tour incarnations, never ceases to delight. From the Larry Campbell fiddle driven performances to the Freddy Koella electric guitar performances, even the Stu and Denny performances, they've always been great. The varying lyric changes are interesting and sometimes hilarious. Recall Tony cracking up after the "her hair was blue, her eyes were too"... in Chicago in 2005.

If You See Her, Say Hello is one of the songs that has remained consistently great throughout the years and really needs to remain in the setlist selection regularly. The world needs to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 12:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

A heartbreaking song, beautifully rendered on BOTT. Live, for some reason, I enjoy the more upbeat versions, which play against the sorrow of the original. Toronto March 20, 2004 is a personal favorite.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 16:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

If ever I see anyone who looks like his ex-wife, I always say hello, give her a kiss, and say that Bob's alright.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 16:56 GMT 

One of the greatest songs ever recorded. So perfect in every way. The live versions are fun but they fail to convey the same depth and emotion as the studio version.

PostPosted: Wed February 26th, 2014, 20:48 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Trev wrote:
If ever I see anyone who looks like his ex-wife, I always say hello, give her a kiss, and say that Bob's alright.

Hahaha... classic stuff... brilliant line, Trev... brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu February 27th, 2014, 07:56 GMT 

If I was told I could only listen to one Dylan song before I passed, this would be on my short list. Visions of Johanna 66 live Royal Albert would be another. Actually come to think of it, it wouldn't be a short list at all. How long do I have?

PostPosted: Mon October 6th, 2014, 20:11 GMT 

Bob performed this song quite a lot throughout the 90's to varying effect....
In 97, he only brought it out twice and it benefited from its hiatus.
Here's a gorgeous rendering by Bob. He connects emotionally here where he never did
performing it nightly.
Bob digs in and really cries these lyrics here....

Toronto Canada
August 7 1997
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ef2f7su ... _Hello.mp3

PostPosted: Mon October 6th, 2014, 21:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes, I love this Song :)

Would be nice to see it this Autumn :)

PostPosted: Tue October 7th, 2014, 02:10 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
WrittenInMySoul wrote:

Pride. Not wanting to let her know that he still is hanging on to memories while she might have moved on. There is a lot of power fighting going on in love relationships, and Bob knows all about it, and knows how to express it, too.

I also found this line confusing and contradictory to the sentiment. I just assumed it was a typo in the official lyrics and that there is suppose to be a comma there - "Don't tell her, it isn't so."

PostPosted: Tue October 7th, 2014, 03:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm not sure how the comma changes the meaning, either way, "it isn't so". There's lots of mixed up confusion in this song, not in a way where the song is confused, just in a way that expressed the mixed up confusion of the situation.