Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon April 24th, 2017, 17:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 11:31 GMT 

I bought Shadows In The Night on the day of release, I like a lot of Frank Sinatra songs and I enjoyed Dylan's versions very much. It was a nice tribute to what would have been Sinatra's 100th year. When the follow up 'Fallen Angels' was announced I was more than a little disappointed to be confronted with another album of more of the same basically recorded around the same time as it's predecessor. However, it did contain Melancholy Mood which I enjoy very much so as soon as the prices started to drop I added that to my collection. However a 3 CD set of more of the same doesn't move me at all. I might have changed my mind if there were a couple of songs on there I really liked but I think that the best have already been covered.
So I'm pretty indifferent to the whole album and have no plans to purchase it. I'm still enjoying Tempest, The Cutting Edge and the Live 66 set so have plenty to keep me going for a little while yet! I'll pass on Triplicate for now unless someone convinces me I'm really missing out!

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 11:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
I'll pass on Triplicate for now unless someone convinces me I'm really missing out!

Get the deluxe edition, don't play it, and sell it to some sucker in a few years. That's what I did / will do.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 11:56 GMT 

First new Dylan release (apart from CITH) I haven't purchased on day of release, practically. It's been a series of diminishing returns with regards this material. I'm sure that 5-10 tracks across 3 songs on 3 CDs are decent enough, but at £16.99 it's also pushing it price-wise. I'll pay that for 2 disc archival release, but less inclined for this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 12:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:
I'll pass on Triplicate for now unless someone convinces me I'm really missing out!

Get the deluxe edition, don't play it, and sell it to some sucker in a few years. That's what I did / will do.

Now there's a fantastic investment strategy & good use of time, ha ha.
Sorry, not even worth that effort kid.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 13:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I thought I didn't buy but I did and play it often.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 13:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

I had a gift card from a recent birthday so it was an easy decision for me. If you liked shadows there's lots more to like here.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 13:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's like a cubed version of Shadows. More round, more wholesome, and doesn't leave you thirsty for more upon playing it. Although you might just play it again anyway, Sam.

It's also it's own thing. Not just more of the same.

A good album can be played in the morning and get you through the the day
This album, when played through the weekend will get you through the week.
Well, at least til Thursday's happy hour.

Fallen Angels is the odd bird in this group.

Last edited by A Merry Llama on Wed April 5th, 2017, 13:55 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 13:54 GMT 

I'm underwhelmed by every record since Love & Theft so there's no rush. I can get around to it later when I'm in the mood. It will either be remaindered by some online vendor or in mint condition in the used bookstore.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 14:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

Didn't think I'd like it much, so I grabbed a torrent just to give it a chance - I like it more than I thought I would, and reckon it's better than the two that came before it. I did buy Shadows, although it was only five quid, and have only listened two or three times. I got Fallen Angels the same way as Triplicate and don't rate it much at all... I'm not advocating this as a general policy, but on reflection I wouldn't actually buy it - being 'alright' isn't enough for me. But maybe someone will hear it when I play it and go and buy one as a result... that's the closest to a sale he's getting from me this time round. I did buy the 66 box.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 14:34 GMT 

I have hated Bob since I was tricked into buying his electric Bring It On Home album

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 14:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 14:48 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
I have hated Bob since I was tricked into buying his electric Bring It On Home album

Love this. Haha! I don't think anyone here likes/loves him or his music

Funny

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 15:27 GMT 

I haven't purchased music since.. .probably 2002. Instead, I illegally download it. Over decades I spent thousands of dollars on vinyl and CD's, so at this point I don't really care. That said, I won't be downloading triplicate. A few years ago I might have done it just out of curiosity but from what I've heard there is no desire or curiosity to hear more.

I became a Dylan fan at age 12. His music was like a magnet, It drew me in. This current stuff is like a magnet, but the other way around - I'm repelled by it. I'm unable to sit through even one of these standards.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

Not an urgent matter, but I'm more interested in it than I thought I would be, and than I was in Fallen Angels, which I've only played once or twice. I expect I'll pick it up before too long.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 16:32 GMT 

I havent bought it, i downloaded the torrent just to keep my collection up to date. Some of the posts above from llama, smoke and slimtide give me hope this may be better than i thought. I will get round to listening to it when the time is right :)

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 16:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

I know it's possible but I can't help but wonder why Dylan fans can't appreciate this stuff. I guess what it all boils down to is that Bob was cool. He was what all the cool kids listened to and Pat Boone was for squares.

Now that Bob is doing his best Pat Boone the close mindedness has been uncovered hanging over these so called fans.

Can't you see the influence these songs have had on Bob's music, maybe not do much melodically, but lyrically?

It's ok to like jazz standards. They have merit. Everything has merit. Bob isn't cashing in on your insecurities, he's singing the songs he loves. Sure they hold a bit of nostalgia but that's better than him standing up on a stage singing Blowin' in the Wind like the record. That would be leading you on and screwing with you.

If memories were all he sang, I bet Bob would rather drive a truck.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

Can we except a thread for every record Bob released and some tell us why they didn´t bought it ??? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

115th wrote:
Can we except a thread for every record Bob released and some tell us why they didn´t bought it ??? :roll:

Why not? It's interesting to hear other's opinions is it not?

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

I can neither except nor accept.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:24 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I know it's possible but I can't help but wonder why Dylan fans can't appreciate this stuff. I guess what it all boils down to is that Bob was cool. He was what all the cool kids listened to and Pat Boone was for squares.

Now that Bob is doing his best Pat Boone the close mindedness has been uncovered hanging over these so called fans.

Can't you see the influence these songs have had on Bob's music, maybe not do much melodically, but lyrically?

It's ok to like jazz standards. They have merit. Everything has merit. Bob isn't cashing in on your insecurities, he's singing the songs he loves. Sure they hold a bit of nostalgia but that's better than him standing up on a stage singing Blowin' in the Wind like the record. That would be leading you on and screwing with you.

If memories were all he sang, I bet Bob would rather drive a truck.

Yes, it's all about being cool. It's nothing to do with the fact that he's not physically capable of singing these songs.

But what does Pat Boone have to do with anything? He did record some standards, but his specialty was making teen music palatable for a larger audience. And his heyday was over by the time Bob came along.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

I didnt know there was a special division of judgment or policing cast out whether or not someone could sing a certain genre of music or not. Maybe Bob shouldn't be singing at all. He should leave that to the professionals like Pat Boone.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Many people say Dylan doesn't have the voice for this type of material, which is fair enough, but there are still many people who say he doesn't have the voice for folk music or rock and roll.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Many people say Dylan doesn't have the voice for this type of material, which is fair enough, but there are still many people who say he doesn't have the voice for folk music or rock and roll.

Nice logic there. Some people say Bob can't sing standards, other people say he can't sing folk; we know he can sing folk, therefore he can sing standards. Aristotle would be proud. Good use of the straw man too: "some people" (I won't say who, but you know what kind of people I'm talking about).

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 17:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Logic and any respect I had left went out the window on this forum when I saw Dylan fans supporting cheese doodle for president.

PostPosted: Wed April 5th, 2017, 18:40 GMT 

jman wrote:
I can neither except nor accept.

Sorry, but English is not my mother language, I am from Austria, so I mixed accept with except.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next