Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 11th, 2014, 15:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chris Shaw?
PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 09:51 GMT 

Hey,

Was just reading this great Uncut magazine piece on Dylan's recording process: http://www.uncut.co.uk/bob-dylan/life-w ... 06-feature

Anyway, I was just wondering why Dylan seems to have stopped working with Chris Shaw, the audio engineer on 'Love and Theft' and 'Modern Times', since the latter?

Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw?
PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 13:30 GMT 

Suspicion abounds it was because of the interview you cite. Maybe a bit too revealing for Bob's liking? Who knows but if not, bit of a coincidence there has been no involvement on his part since. Brilliant interview by the way.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 13:36 GMT 

Aha, I had thought something similar, but not in reference to this interview. There was another one I read somewhere in which Shaw went into specific detail about how, when they were recording 'Moonlight', Dylan fluffed a word and Shaw had him re-dub it. I remember thinking, wow, if Dylan reads this, he's gonna be pissed off.

Also, there was that leak from the 'Tell Ol' Bill' sessions. I wonder how that happened...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 14:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

RobK wrote:
Also, there was that leak from the 'Tell Ol' Bill' sessions. I wonder how that happened...

Yes.... nothing similar had happened in years before that.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 14:35 GMT 

I wonder if it's a geographic thing.

Chris Shaw is a New York based engineer, and since Together Through Life, Dylan has recorded in California.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 14:45 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
I was drafted in for producer for Tempest, but had to turn it down because I couldn't make it in time...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 14:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Isis_ wrote:
I was drafted in for producer for Tempest, but had to turn it down because I couldn't make it in time...

"I don't BELIEVE you!" :wink:

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 15:09 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
:lol: I speak nothing but the truth.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 16:17 GMT 

Think it might be a combination of factors. Even though L+T and Modern Times gained critical acclaim, there was a nagging doubt in Dylan's mind that what was being recorded on the studio floor was sounding different on playback but he could not quite pin what it was that was being lost, or how it was being lost. When he was roped into the project that turned into Together through life, a few pennies dropped. He liked the sound of the studio and he liked how his vocals came across without the slight muddiness there is on the other two. So after the Xmas record which was also recorded in Santa Monica he filed it away for future reference as a good place to record and that it was close to home too. I think when he realised he had enough songs together and he wanted to make a SPECIFIC record with a religious core the studio was a given. But with his artistic instincts he also probably realised that by the very nature of the songs and the great length of some of them it was going to present him with one of the greatest vocal challenges of his life. Also there would be a need for different vocal styles for different songs. He probably discussed it with those he trusts and Scott Litt was the name put forward to help him realise his aims through careful recording and mixing. To my ears it's a triumph as each song I can now see has the right vocal. Was not sure at first but no doubt now. Almost sounds like Plastic Ono Band Lennon in places, charming in others and he bites down HARD on words. " faced stronger walls than yourZZ " "bury my head between your breastsSS" etc. Good decisions Bob!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 16:35 GMT 

Interesting thoughts. Thanks everyone. I do like the vocal recording style on 'Tempest' (especially the close intimacy of 'Soon After Midnight') with the exception of 'Roll on John', actually. I think that one does sound like it has that Lennon double vocal thing applied to it and I don't think it works. I think a lot of the words get swallowed.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 16:37 GMT 

I don't hear the muddiness you refer to in L&T or MT. Chris did some great work on those but I do agree Tempest's capture of the vocal is superb and a step up from TTL.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 16:47 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
I don't hear the muddiness you refer to in L&T or MT. Chris did some great work on those but I do agree Tempest's capture of the vocal is superb and a step up from TTL.

Yeah maybe muddiness is the wrong word as I was trying to finish the post before my wife killed me. It's more of a muffling when you expect him to bite hard and I think Litt would have challenged him more. By the way I do love those records anyway!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 23:37 GMT 

I think it's very possible Shaw didn't get future work with Bob because of that great Uncut interview. It's too revealing. Poor Shaw, because he done an excellent job on Love And Theft.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 01:31 GMT 

thanks! amazing read...

PostPosted: Mon June 23rd, 2014, 19:47 GMT 

Just for the record, my time spent recording Bob came to an end simply because of scheduling conflicts. I received two weeks notice to start Together Through Life and by the time I was able to clear my schedule they pulled the trigger on David Bianco. I speak with Bob's manager regularly and there was never any problem with any of the interviews that I have given to Uncut and the like…

//CS//

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 10:56 GMT 

^ thanks for the clarification and welcome to ER :)

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 13:42 GMT 

cshaw340 wrote:
Just for the record, my time spent recording Bob came to an end simply because of scheduling conflicts. I received two weeks notice to start Together Through Life and by the time I was able to clear my schedule they pulled the trigger on David Bianco. I speak with Bob's manager regularly and there was never any problem with any of the interviews that I have given to Uncut and the like…

//CS//

Welcome to ER Chris!!!!

Thanks for clarifying that. I hope you do get the chance to work with him again.

Incidentally, while we have you here, what did you think of Together Through Life, Christmas in the Heart and Tempest in terms of both the albums themselves and the way they were produced/engineered?

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 14:07 GMT 

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. For the record, I think Modern Times is probably the best sounding Dylan record, especially Workingman's Blues #2 (am I crazy or do I hear a voice mutter something off mic during the first few bars;-)?

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 14:14 GMT 

It's definitely there. By the way, do you as an engineer have any input into the vinyl releases or are they mastered by someone else? The common consensus seems to be that MT sounds way better on vinyl.

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 14:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Aww, now, leave the poor man alone :lol:

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 15:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

cshaw340 wrote:

//CS//

Holy crap!!!! Real facts !!!! What the heck are we suppose to do with that????? This is the internet for gosh sakes.... we want rumors, and half-baked facts...... what the heck fun is it getting the real info from someone who actually knows something.....!!!

Just kidding, hello Chris, welcome to ER!!! Since Modern Times is still one of my favorites all I have to say is thank you for your part of that project.

Stop back and let us know anytime you get a juicy real fact..... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 16:02 GMT 

Let's not forget that Chris was engineer on Things Have Changed- terrific work there and the track that got him the L&T gig if memory serves...

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 16:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Love and Theft" is everything, so thanks for your contributions there!

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 17:28 GMT 

And what about the Tell Tale Signs version of Someday Baby? Magnificent track of course (criminal it didn't get the nod on the album) but helped I suggest by the intimacy of the sound in the way it's captured. Hats off Mr. Shaw...

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 18:08 GMT 

Cross The Green Mountain also worth more than an honourable mention...beautifully captured vocal there.